Phaneuf's hit on Olesz

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEli*

It was completely clean but as monster_bertuzzi said, the ref's view of it was a lot different than the one we saw numerous times on slow mo replay.

Will Phaneuf now be suspended for the gold medal game? If you get a misconduct, you miss the next game, right?

flamesfan01800

Jun 30, 2003
Saskatoon, Sask
Visit site
PEli said:
It was completely clean but as monster_bertuzzi said, the ref's view of it was a lot different than the one we saw numerous times on slow mo replay.

Will Phaneuf now be suspended for the gold medal game? If you get a misconduct, you miss the next game, right?

nope

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
PEli said:

No Bob Mackenzie said will play monday.

Last edited:

chicpea*

Not only was the hit clean, but Phaneuf went out of his way to tuck his elbow in so Olesz wouldn't take it in the head. Still, Olesz did not look good.

finzup77r

Apr 9, 2003
Boston
Visit site
I thought I heard after this injury that Olesz had suffered a concussion before the WJC's and that he played his first game of the year earlier in the tourney, is this true, cause that would be really bad for a kid supposed top go in the top 10 in the draft

Snakeeye

monster_bertuzzi said:
It was clean but i'm going to defend the ref because with the angle he had it must have looked like Phaneuf got the elbow up.

No, the referee was european. Therefore, body contact is a minor, and body contact that results in an injury is a major and a game misconduct. "Elbowing" was just the excuse to make the call.

CeskyHokej

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
Snakeeye said:
No, the referee was european. Therefore, body contact is a minor, and body contact that results in an injury is a major and a game misconduct. "Elbowing" was just the excuse to make the call.

Wow. That is often the case but this time you can't really blame the ref. He led with his elbow and tucked it in at the last minute. So if you are the ref watching a guy come in with an elbow and the guy ends up lying on the ice with bruises on his face, what do you expect him to call? Bad call yes, blaming on "European" refs-no.

PEli*

L3DZ3P said:
No Bob Mackenzie said he play monday.

That's awesome. I heard Miller and McGuire talking about that so I wasn't too sure.

Snakeeye

CeskyHokej said:
Wow. That is often the case but this time you can't really blame the ref. He led with his elbow and tucked it in at the last minute. So if you are the ref watching a guy come in with an elbow and the guy ends up lying on the ice with bruises on his face, what do you expect him to call? Bad call yes, blaming on "European" refs-no.

You might have an argument for the original minor penalty. Even then I'm not sure I buy it.

The referee clearly upgraded the penalty based only on the condition of the player, not the severity of the "infraction."

I'm still going to blame the european referee for what the call ultimately was.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
If the Ref thinks it's Elbowing and Olesz get's hurt, than he has to give a Game misconduct, that's the way it works with IIHF rules. (at least in my experience)

It has nothing to do with the referee being European. It's true that some referees here give penalties for hits that seem legal, but most of them don't. There are plenty of hard hits with injuries and no penalties.

chicpea*

ax²+bx+c said:
Olesz is doing fine and is going to play the next game.
you can't be serious?! If that were me, I'd still be lying on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad