Phaneuf's hit on Olesz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The hit was clean by NHL standards. Blows to the head have to be done away with, but Phaneuf kept it "clean" according to the rulebook.

The Loose Cannon said:
BTW, I will go on record: Dion Phaneuf will become the best defensemen in the league somewhere during the period of 2009-2014.
Maybe not best, but certainly most feared. I've never seen a guy cut down the angle that quickly, especially since Olesz seems to be pretty elusive. He was maneuvering in and out of the Canadian defense the previous game.

The Loose Cannon said:
I think it may be the first time that we have had a unanimous decision here at HF (we must really hate the Czechs :p ) Clean Knockout blow by Phaneuf.

BTW, I will go on record: Dion Phaneuf will become the best defensemen in the league somewhere during the period of 2009-2014.

This is what I've been saying since the CHL prospects game last year, though not on these boards. He absolutely destroyed Marc-Antoine Pouliot who was caught with his head down. Both were clean hits but absolutely devastating. Anyone looking for the next Scott Stevens will turn to this kid. Wow.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Kubina_Fan said:
This is what I've been saying since the CHL prospects game last year, though not on these boards. He absolutely destroyed Marc-Antoine Pouliot who was caught with his head down. Both were clean hits but absolutely devastating. Anyone looking for the next Scott Stevens will turn to this kid. Wow.

Going into the game Dion was leading or at least in the running for top D in the tournament. I wonder if this penalty/incident will effect anything?

The only reason I refer to it as a penalty is because it was called that way; I don't believe it was even checking to the head after seeing the replay because the contact was high centre mid chest to braced shoulder, braced right through the legs. Because the contact was above Olesz centre of gravity and centred neither to the left or right, there was nowhere else for the head to go. A full faced mask would have reduced the concussion IMO

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
The Loose Cannon said:
I think it may be the first time that we have had a unanimous decision here at HF (we must really hate the Czechs :p ) Clean Knockout blow by Phaneuf.

I think you are right in your prediction - and he will play in Calgary next year so there are some pros who better keep their head's up! Another Stevens is on his way into the league.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Snakeeye said:
The referee clearly upgraded the penalty based only on the condition of the player, not the severity of the "infraction."

Yes, and you know why? Because the IIHF rules. Basicly, if there is injury, it's a major.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
La-La-Laprise said:
Olesz has a concussion. He wont be playing anytime soon.

Can you prove this? I mean you sound like your the czech coach? I did not see this hit, I really dont know how bad it was, but my guess is its pretty bad, when everyone agrees it was huge. For all everyone knows hes dead,(although i doubt it and hope not), I dont believe anything tell i hear a press conference, or see a link.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
I'm sure we all know how good ESPN's hockey coverage is, but from ESPN.com:
Phaneuf delivered a Scott Stevens-like hit on Czech forward Rostislav Olesz in the final minutes of the second period. Although the hit appeared to be a clean shoulder check, referee Thomas Andersson called a two-minute elbowing penalty against Phaneuf. Then, after Olesz collapsed in front of the Czech bench (he was removed on a stretcher), Andersson changed his call to a five-minute major and game misconduct. By tournament rule, the tournament directors can review the hit and add an additional one-game suspension as a disciplinary measure. After a few uneasy minutes, the directors ruled that there would be further punishment& [sic]
I looks like Phaneuf may sit out the gold medal game.

chicpea*

Fedz said:
Can you prove this? I mean you sound like your the czech coach? I did not see this hit, I really dont know how bad it was, but my guess is its pretty bad, when everyone agrees it was huge. For all everyone knows hes dead,(although i doubt it and hope not), I dont believe anything tell i hear a press conference, or see a link.

Here is a recap from the game. A little past halfway down there is a detailed look at the Phaneuf hit and an update on Olesz. He is having an overnighter in the hospital.

chicpea*

asab said:
I looks like Phaneuf may sit out the gold medal game.

that is pure bologna. it's already been reviewed and dismissed; the hit was clean. In fact, i'm watching it again atm on Coaches Corner and it's still clean. Dion will play.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
chicpea said:
that is pure bologna. it's already been reviewed and dismissed; the hit was clean. In fact, i'm watching it again atm on Coaches Corner and it's still clean. Dion will play.
The question is not whether or not the hit was clean. It may very well have been (I didn't see it), but according to ESPN, there will be further disciplinary action. Unless you can provide some evidence to the contrary, I'm inclined to believe them.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
asab said:
The question is not whether or not the hit was clean. It may very well have been (I didn't see it), but according to ESPN, there will be further disciplinary action. Unless you can provide some evidence to the contrary, I'm inclined to believe them.

Well there was mention during the TSN broadcast of USA/Finland game that the hit had been reviewed and Phaneuf was not suspended.

chicpea*

asab said:

Here (again) is the link I provided above. About 2/3 down it says:

"The Swedish referee officiating originally have Phaneuf a two-minute minor but changed it to an elbowing major and game misconduct. The International Ice Hockey Federation held a meeting about possible supplementary discipline but the referee, in his final game report, said that Phaneuf did not maliciously hit Olesz with the intent to hurt him and no further discipline was warranted."

The article is recently posted and confirms other reports I've heard talked of on the telly (tsn, sportsnet, cbc HNIC). I know espn has their ear to the ground, but i think the talk of further disciplinary action was from the 3rd period or directly after the game.
Hope that helps.
p.s. who knows for sure though? I sure hope he's not suspended - that would be an injustice - he'll probably get best d-man of the tourney.
p.p.s. if you want a link to the hit, try the HNIC page - they have replays of Coaches Corner and they showed it there today. It might not be up til tomorrow though

chicpea*

And this from a recap at slamsports:

"The International Ice Hockey Federation said it will not take further disciplinary action against Phaneuf. "

the full article can be found here.

BCCHL inactive

willie said:
Of course it was. There really is no debate.

If this was the NHL, you would be right. However, this is IIHF hockey. The IIHF has rules against checking to the head. Obviously the referee used Elbowing as his call, which was his mistake. If Andersson had have made a Check To The Head call, there would be no debate.

Snakeeye said:
The referee clearly upgraded the penalty based only on the condition of the player, not the severity of the "infraction."

I'm still going to blame the european referee for what the call ultimately was.

Andersson had no choice but to make the penalty 5 and a Game Misconduct. That is IIHF rules if an infraction he called results in an injury. If Derek Herman, a Canadian referee, had have called Phaneuf for Elbowing, he would be forced to eject Phaneuf as well.

Phaneuf getting kicked out wasn't because the referee was European, it was because IIHF rules say that he had to get kicked out.

Jacobv2 said:
The hit was clean by NHL standards. Blows to the head have to be done away with, but Phaneuf kept it "clean" according to the rulebook.

Not according to the IIHF Rulebook. The IIHF has a Check To The Head rule, which the referee unfortunately did not call. The only reason we are debating this, is because the call was Elbowing.

eyeofthetiger

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
Clean Hit?

The term is BODY CHECKING....BODY CHECKING...hockey allows the use of BODY CHECKING to separate the man from the puck...not from conciousness. IT was not a clean hit...well maybe it was a clean hit to the head which requires the referee to assess a penalty and if there is intent to injure perhaps suspension. It's the job of the player throwing the hit to do so cleanly and to the BODY. IF HEAD CHECKING becomes allowable even in the NHL it won't matter how big the players are they will not be able to sustain the injuries and continue playing. As most coaches, scouts, GM's etc. know it's hard enough to find good prospects for the NHL game without having them forced out of the game with injuries caused by CHECKING TO THE HEAD. Phaneuf delivered that hit to the HEAD of the opposing player not the body. There is no such thing as a clean hit to the HEAD anywhere in hockey...anywhere...including the NHL.

Last edited:

BCCHL inactive

eyeofthetiger said:
The term is BODY CHECKING....BODY CHECKING...IF HEAD CHECKING becomes allowable even in the NHL it won't matter how big the players are they will not be able to sustain the injuries and continue playing. As most coaches, scouts, GM's etc. know it's hard enough to find good prospects for the NHL game without having them forced out of the game with injuries caused by CHECKING TO THE HEAD. Phaneuf delivered that hit to the HEAD of the Finn not the body. There is no such thing as a clean hit to the HEAD anywhere in hockey...anywhere...including the NHL.

Theoretically, you are right...however, the NHL doesn't have a Check To The Head rule yet. In the NHL, Phaneuf's hit is as clean as a bell.

BTW, Canada was playing the Czech Republic this morning, not Finland. ;)

chicpea*

The Loose Cannon said:
I think it may be the first time that we have had a unanimous decision here at HF

hurray! we finally have some dissent. By the way, the hit was clean. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad