Pettersson vs Matthews

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
In Matthews first year in the league he scored 40 goals while drawing the most attention and playing with two rookies. Ever since then Matthews has drawn the most attention from opposition teams. The arrival of Tavares has not changed that fact
No, in his first year the leafs had five players score over 60 pts. There was much more for the opponent to focus their defending than there is in this year’s Canucks.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I heard the same thing with Laine shooting over 20% as a rookie. I'll believe a player can shoot over 20% long-term when I see it hold for over 130 games. I don't think I've ever seen someone effectively counter the shoot over 20% thing many times despite how many times it has been attempted. Obviously, he's talented. But, I don't think he'll beat the norms other elite shooters shoot at, which is in the 15% to 18% range.

Also, you should probably realize, Pettersson doesn't take tougher match-ups than Matthews if you actually looked at the usage stats that matter when it comes to that stuff (zone-starts and QoC TOI%).

The arguments for Laine and Pettersson have been different. His shooting percentage lowering will not effect his point totals through various factors. By all means, wait all you want, most of us who watch EP play know he's going to be hovering 15 % to 18 % range of elite shooters, His production will be in the high end because he's a productive star level elite player. Pettersson is a high volume shooter where he is selective around his shots. Most of his goals are through pure skill. This isn't a player going through a hot streak here.

I didn't say Pettersson took more tougher matchups. I said Matthews has the luxury of not being to have garbage like Pouliot and Gudbranson attached to him as support. It sure as helps Matthews that he has a strong two man team in Tavares and Manner for balance to ease him.. Pettersson doesn't have that luxury. He's been singlehandedly doing it all on his own especially when Horvat doesn't have an actual linemate that can compliment him the way Tavares-Marner have it going.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
No, in his first year the leafs had five players score over 60 pts. There was much more for the opponent to focus their defending than there is in this year’s Canucks.
Did you ever think that the leafs had more players doing better because the opposition was mainly focused on Matthews.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
The weird twist is that the Leafs PP has been awful this year. In fact I think both Pettersson and Matthews both have 14 points on the PP this year so it's not really an advantage for Matthews.
Matthews also plays over a min less a game then Pettersson.
Also Matthews linemates have been a mostly Kapps and Marleau. Good players but it's not like Pettersson plays with defensive players.
All this and Pettersson has 1point more then Matthews in 5 more games. Hardly a reason to claim that Pettersson is out playing Matthews .

You do realize that the Canucks PP has been awfuly bad too right? They couldn't even score on a 4-3 full PP in OT. The fact is Matthews has much better PP players to play with. He has support in the way of the two way system in Marner-Tavares. EP doesn't have that luxury. Plus Matthews has much better defenders that can support him. EP has trash like Gudbranson and Pouliot attached to him, and he has been keyed on by top defenders. What EP doing is more impressive than what Matthews is doing/done.

Also, Whichever left winger Matthews is playing with is better than the rotating Leivo/Roussell/Fringe 3rd liners EP is playing with.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
In Matthews first year in the league he scored 40 goals while drawing the most attention and playing with two rookies. Ever since then Matthews has drawn the most attention from opposition teams. The arrival of Tavares has not changed that fact

I don't think it's even remotely controversial to suggest that having an elite talent on another line can have a positive impact on a player's production (whether it was Barzal with Tavares last year or Matthews with Tavares this year, or any other great 1-2 punch you can think of).

And that Toronto roster from Matthew's rookie season was stronger than the one the Canucks have this year. Also, EP might pot 35-40 goals while missing 11 games.

For the record: I voted "too close to call". Matthews is an outstanding player. And I think the Leafs can really threaten to take the Cup in the next few seasons.

I have watched hockey for >30 years. The way Pettersson thinks the game out there is something incredibly special - and I wouldn't be shocked if we referred to his game as "generational" within the next couple years (though it is too early to say that now).

But hey - the games need to be played. It will be interesting to see where things lie in a couple years.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Did you ever think that the leafs had more players doing better because the opposition was mainly focused on Matthews.
Or the fact that Willy, Marner, Kadri and JVR are/were just better at producing than anything outside of Vancouver’s top two players. Not to mention a 43 pt defenseman, all of which Vancouver has nothing of.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pettersson has performed better than Matthews. Matthews plays with better PP performers.

Pettersson takes on the brunt of the tough match ups against key defenders, and has gudbranson/pouliot attached to him. The latter is something atleast Matthews doesn't have to worry about.

Even if you think he somehow has not performed better this season (which is highly disagreeable), he's performed better than Matthews has in his rookie season easily.

You do realize that the Canucks PP has been awfuly bad too right? They couldn't even score on a 4-3 full PP in OT. The fact is Matthews has much better PP players to play with. He has support in the way of the two way system in Marner-Tavares. EP doesn't have that luxury. Plus Matthews has much better defenders that can support him. EP has trash like Gudbranson and Pouliot attached to him, and he has been keyed on by top defenders. What EP doing is more impressive than what Matthews is doing/done.

Also, Whichever left winger Matthews is playing with is better than the rotating Leivo/Roussell/Fringe 3rd liners EP is playing with.
The thing is, that isn't really true. Horvat takes by far the toughest usage on your team. Sutter also sees tougher usage. Now, team's on the road are targetting Pettersson more, but to say he sees the brunt of tougher usage does not line up with the metrics measuring it.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Yet you forget the major difference between one player getting far more support than the other.

Heck Babcock at one point had to put Marner on Matthews wing to get the latter going.

Keep thinking this is the shiny new toy, whatever helps you leafs fans sleep at night. (While being asleep whenever the kid plays)

EP has been the better player than Matthews is. Atleast the results in the poll are accurate.

Lmao offensive support? HF said Kapanen was a glorified 4th liner and Marleau was an old fogie, what happened? I remember those Brock Boeser is better than Matthews threads as well...always good for a laugh.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ya because rookies never have flash in the pan years lol
They do. But when they demonstrate that they’re among the very highest tier of talents in the league, it’s a poor bet to suggest they’d be a flash in the pan.

The creates high end offensive chances virtually all game, every game.

I’ve told people many times, avoid his stats if needed. Just watch 4-5 straight games from the kid.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I'd like to see Pettersson repeat next season what he is doing currently before I rank him over Matthews. Rookie seasons are always the easiest to shine nowadays because teams aren't focusing enough on rookies. I also expect teams start playing more physical against Pettersson in the future, which seems to be the only way to stop skinny and skilled Pettersson.

So yeah, I'd like to see how Pettersson handles the constant slashes, late hits and all the other subtle dirty plays he will face once he has gotten older and opponents aren't treating him like a kid anymore.

I chose the 3rd option.

Last edited:

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
They do. But when they demonstrate that they’re among the very highest tier of talents in the league, it’s a poor bet to suggest they’d be a flash in the pan.

The creates high end offensive chances virtually all game, every game.

I’ve told people many times, avoid his stats if needed. Just watch 4-5 straight games from the kid.

Ever heard of a guy named Jim Carey?

Jan 21, 2018

there was a documentary about his birth too

giphy.gif

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ya, I refuse to believe that anyone who would sit down next to me and watch Pettersson’s games would be able to make a Carey comparison with a straight face.

Jim Carey didn’t have close to the pedigree and hope coming into their rookie seasons.

At the time many people felt that Carey came out of nowhere, played above his head (on a pretty good team) and that he would fall into oblivion. Now if Carey has record breaking MVP sweeps in a pro league before coming into the league, it would have been a different perception.

“Ever heard of guy named Jim Carey”. Yikes. He was actually serious here too if anyone wouldn’t believe it.

Reactions: Sayonara77

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Ya, I refuse to believe that anyone who would sit down next to me and watch Pettersson’s games would be able to make a Carey comparison with a straight face.

Jim Carey didn’t have close to the pedigree and hope coming into their rookie seasons.

At the time many people felt that Carey came out of nowhere, played above his head (on a pretty good team) and that he would fall into oblivion. Now if Carey has record breaking MVP sweeps in a pro league before coming into the league, it would have been a different perception.

“Ever heard of guy named Jim Carey”. Yikes. He was actually serious here too if anyone wouldn’t believe it.

Who are you talking to there at the end lol

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Whoever may read this and not believe that someone would make a Carey-Pettersson comparison. I think most would think it’s sarcasm, but it was actually an attempt at a serious comment.

I hate to break it to you...no one said Carey was going to be a bum either after winning the Calder. The claims by Canuck fans in here...2nd best player next to McDavid are downright laughable. You’ll be lucky if he reaches the Sedin level

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
only players outside of toronto are able to be flash in the pan rookies, Toronto players continue to get better no matter what.

I heard the same trash about Barzal last year and he’a no where near what he was last season. I was right lol. Remember when Brock Boeser was the hotshot Canucks rookie...”He’s better than Matthews” laughable...just plain laughable.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I heard the same trash about Barzal last year and he’a no where near what he was last season. I was right lol. Remember when Brock Boeser was the hotshot Canucks rookie...”He’s better than Matthews” laughable...just plain laughable.
There was like 3 Canucks fans who said Boeser was better than Matthews.

It’s like saying “Leafs fans think Matthews is better than McDavid”

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
No bias at all in your opinion though is there?

Suggesting that EP is more overrated than Matthews and being vastly "significantly inferior" to Matthews clearly shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

Might want to know what the thread is on btw.

Lmao offensive support? HF said Kapanen was a glorified 4th liner and Marleau was an old fogie, what happened? I remember those Brock Boeser is better than Matthews threads as well...always good for a laugh.

Either of those players are superior than whatever left winger EP plays with. Simple as that.

When did anyone say Boeser is superior than Matthews? Some argued he could be a better goal scorer, which wasn't so far fetched at the time.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

>Implying Barzal and EP's situation is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad