Pettersson vs Eichel

Who do you pick going forward?

• Total voters

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Forget about comparing their rookie seasons.

Pettersson is performing equally to Eichel this season, even though he’s two years younger.

Pettersson also has inferior teammates.

You can take Eichel if you want because like I said they are performing equally so it comes down to preference.

But saying it’s not close just proves that you are biased.
you gotta be the biggest Pettersson lover in the world...and you are calling others biased when most Sabres fans are pretty humble for the most part and don't jump on hype trains that easy. Eichel's line has been dominating play consistently and every game outside of the opener this season.

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
Nope, eichel played as an 18 year old EP has not, thanks for coming out though
wait so would you compare eichels 3rd season to EPs first or his second? his second season he was 19-20 which is the same as EP and he was slightly under PPG which so far at least EP is producing over.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
you gotta be the biggest Pettersson lover in the world...and you are calling others biased when most Sabres fans are pretty humble for the most part and don't jump on hype trains that easy. Eichel's line has been dominating play consistently and every game outside of the opener this season.

How about you point out anything I said that’s been incorrect?

Pettersson’s production is on par with Eichel’s despite being two years younger.

He’s got the same PPG and more goals in six less games.

He has dominated the play just as much as Eichel has.

He also has inferior teammates and therefore has to do more work himself.

He doesn’t have a Dahlin passing him the puck or a Skinner on his line.

You Sabres fans are taking it as a slight that Pettersson is being compared to Eichel when you really should be recognizing that Pettersson is simply playing amazing and that play has elevated him to the same level as Eichel, not that Eichel isn’t a great player himself.

Reactions: CP4

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
How about you point out anything I said that’s been incorrect?

Pettersson’s production is on par with Eichel’s despite being two years younger.

He’s got the same PPG and more goals in six less games.

He has dominated the play just as much as Eichel has.

He also has inferior teammates and therefore has to do more work himself.

He doesn’t have a Dahlin passing him the puck or a Skinner on his line.

You Sabres fans are taking it as a slight that Pettersson is being compared to Eichel when you really should be recognizing that Pettersson is simply playing amazing and that play has elevated him to the same level as Eichel, not that Eichel isn’t a great player himself.
No he hasn't I've watched both of them....Eichel dominates nearly every time he's on the ice...his line puts up considerably more amount of scoring chances than Pettersson's and its not because Skinner is driving play at all most of the time Eichel has the puck on his stick. Having the same or comparable amount of PPG is easier in less games and the fact that he has more goals is because of his ridiculous shooting pct....Eichel has had considerably more scoring chances. I don't know how anyone can watch these players right NOW and say they are really all that comparable.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
This is getting ridiculous now, I don’t even care if buffalo loses the odd game with Eichel taking the league by storm, he’s averaged 2.0 PPG this week. One night after being top star against caps win highlight reel goals he goes to Boston the next night brings everyone out of their seat with a toe drag through the legs chance getting by both bruins d men.

Then hits the post on a beautiful shot, then one of the passes of the year to skinner who once again points to Eichel as Eichel gives skinner a “give me” again for his 23rd goal.

Beast. Top scoring center in the east. He does thisnon a shift to shift basis as RJ says “everything he does has to be spectacular”

12 goals 30 assists and I’m only at 8 min mark of second have game pvrd. Wouldn’t be surprised if he had more pts by now as of this post. I literally don’t worry abouut his production ever slowing down because he gets so many chances a period and it’s not just the chances but it’s how the chances occur. A human highlight reel! Whether it’s a play in the neutral zone or the multiple chances that come. How he carries the puck with a confidence he’s always had but now it’s just a dominant confidence like getzlaf in the playoffs two years ago, or Thornton in his prime.

#Eich4Hart2019

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm glad Eichel is finally getting the credit he deserves. With that said, I think Pettersson will be McDavid's competition for the best player in the world. I can't imagine what the hype would be like if he played for the Leafs.

Eichel is the better player today, but I'd bank on Pettersson being the better player when they're both in their prime.

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
Forget about comparing their rookie seasons.

Pettersson is performing equally to Eichel this season, even though he’s two years younger.

Pettersson also has inferior teammates.

You can take Eichel if you want because like I said they are performing equally so it comes down to preference.

But saying it’s not close just proves that you are biased.

????

Eichel has 45 points in 34 games, is one half of one of the most dynamic scoring duos in the league, and is just now getting his sh% back up to where it should be.

Pettersson is shooting 27.9%. That most likely won’t maintain over the course of the year, and a regression to a less absurd number is possible.

Pettersson is stupidly good, but saying he and Jack are playing equally is a bit too far. Jack is carrying this team to the playoffs and playing like a Hart candidate should be, they’re not exactly “equal” right now, even though Pettersson is producing at very well.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
????

Eichel has 45 points in 34 games, is one half of one of the most dynamic scoring duos in the league, and is just now getting his sh% back up to where it should be.

Pettersson is shooting 27.9%. That most likely won’t maintain over the course of the year, and a regression to a less absurd number is possible.

Pettersson is stupidly good, but saying he and Jack are playing equally is a bit too far. Jack is carrying this team to the playoffs and playing like a Hart candidate should be, they’re not exactly “equal” right now, even though Pettersson is producing at very well.

Easy to cherry pick the statement after a 4 point game.

Pettersson had the same PPG as Eichel when I made the statement and he had several more goals, despite playing 6 less games.

Eichel is on a tear right now and may separate himself from Pettersson if he continues this way but that doesn’t mean that what I said wasn’t correct at the time of posting.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

Pettersson had the same PPG as Eichel when I made the statement and he had several more goals, despite playing 6 less games.

Eichel is on a tear right now and may separate himself from Pettersson if he continues this way but that doesn’t mean that what I said wasn’t correct at the time of posting.

This is a fair post. You are right.

One thing that doesent show up in the stats is that these assists on skinners goals almost every one primary by Eichel, if people look at these “assists” I’ve never seen them count as more then goals since Thornton-chechoo back in 05-06. I ask everyone to go and watch these skinner tap ins, Eichel sets up its absolutely ridiculous some of them, I love skinners face he’s like an excited five year old on Christmas and points to jack after each one shaking his head as if to say “where has this guy been all my career!?” Bonus to skinner that it’s a contract year. Hi ability to finish has helped Eichel too make no mistake skinner was always a dynamic scorer even before this but these assists are all world assists. If you don’t want to wSte your whole day just look st the two skinner goals vs the bruins....or eichels goals last night against Washington, they’re plays of the month type stuff

All this being said what Pettersen is doing is amazing for Vancouver and they’re both in similar situations, being saviours-elite centera on teams that don’t score often but will no, at least when they’re on the ice.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Okay, at this point I wouldn't say Pettersson is a better player than Eichel. I think Eichel has been a good player for a long time. Skinner came along at a great time but I don't think that should necessarily take away from Eichel as he's very clearly the leader of the Sabres.

Pettersson just wasn't there physically like Eichel was to start. I think Pettersson could have played last year and scored 50 points now in hindsight, but its better ALOT for Pete that he waited unlike Eichel who as ready right off the bat no questions asked.

Pettersson, on the other hand, is a rookie producing comparably to Eichel (who's in his 4th season). And Pettersson has jumped into the league not only producing offense on a poor team, but also being so good defensively as far as the details and this is a guy who played Wing last year in an inferior league.

He's jumped into the best league in the world as a Center, after not playing Center, and he's not only holding his own against top matchups but producing over a PPG with no shortcuts in his end. I feel like that can't be overstated.

Pettersson is projecting better than Eichel, Eichel is a better player right now to me. But I don't necessarily think the arrival matters as much in this comparable b/c Pete while having the skill wasn't as ready physically, and it probably would have rushed him. Maybe to his detriment? Its just timing for each guy, its a marathon not a sprint as people say.

I think its most likely that both guys are in the same tier for the next decade. BUT, man, Pettersson's IQ is something special, because of that his potential could be higher, I do get that line of thinking. But he may not ever have the individual game physically that Eichel has. Ultimately I would bank on both guys being same tier, 90+ points, hart nominees/winners. Dedicated leader's of their franchises, Exc.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Okay, at this point I wouldn't say Pettersson is a better player than Eichel. I think Eichel has been a good player for a long time. Skinner came along at a great time but I don't think that should necessarily take away from Eichel as he's very clearly the leader of the Sabres.

Pettersson just wasn't there physically like Eichel was to start. I think Pettersson could have played last year and scored 50 points now in hindsight, but its better ALOT for Pete that he waited unlike Eichel who as ready right off the bat no questions asked.

Pettersson, on the other hand, is a rookie producing comparably to Eichel (who's in his 4th season). And Pettersson has jumped into the league not only producing offense on a poor team, but also being so good defensively as far as the details and this is a guy who played Wing last year in an inferior league.

He's jumped into the best league in the world as a Center, after not playing Center, and he's not only holding his own against top matchups but producing over a PPG with no shortcuts in his end. I feel like that can't be overstated.

Pettersson is projecting better than Eichel, Eichel is a better player right now to me. But I don't necessarily think the arrival matters as much in this comparable b/c Pete while having the skill wasn't as ready physically, and it probably would have rushed him. Maybe to his detriment? Its just timing for each guy, its a marathon not a sprint as people say.

I think its most likely that both guys are in the same tier for the next decade. BUT, man, Pettersson's IQ is something special, because of that his potential could be higher, I do get that line of thinking. But he may not ever have the individual game physically that Eichel has. Ultimately I would bank on both guys being same tier, 90+ points, hart nominees/winners. Dedicated leader's of their franchises, Exc.

Great post and it absolutely shouldn’t take away from eichel, skinner for being as good on the scoresheet as he has, the guy second in goals should have almost as much chances right? Eichel almost orndoes double him in everything from shots to chances to possession, zone entries. Skinner is benefitting huge I know because of my username and the fact the goal scorer is to credit but it’s just something else right now. I know this sounds unrealistic because skinner was a excellent goal scorer before but he was always off and on and had one goal until he played with Eichel in the 7th game. Since then he’s scored 23 in his next 28 games, lol. What’s fascinating is skinner is barely a star in any game and with the goals you’d figure he would be but like every road broadcaster says the star of the game for buffalo is very clear and is backed up by every stat and most importantly the eye test.

I agree about same tier going forward ep is special.

Canuck fans should be excited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Great post and it absolutely shouldn’t take away from eichel, skinner for being the guy second in goals should have almost as much chances right? Eichel literally doubles him in everything from shots to chances to everything else. Skinner is benefitting huge I know because of my username and the fact the goal scorer is to credit but think henrik sedin with burrows that’s honestly the equivalent to the credit both guys have in each and every game. I know this sounds unrealistic because skinner was a excellent goal scorer before but he was always off and on and had one goal until he played with Eichel in the 7th game. Since then he’s scored 23 in his next 28 games, lol. What’s fascinating is skinner is barely a star in any game and with the goals you’d figure he would be but like every road broadcaster says the star of the game for buffalo is very clear and is backed up by every stat and most importantly the eye test.

I agree about same tier going forward ep is special.

Canuck fans should be excited.

I'm not surprised. I honestly think very highly of Eichel. On IQ alone if guys were created equal Petey is among the absolute cream of the crop in the league but EP wasn't created equal physically. He's doesn't have the individual game that Eichel does as far as doing things himself, atleast right now.

Its hard to say enough good things about either player. Pete has so far surpassed my expectations, and I feel like Eichel has been such a good player from the start its just been hard for him to stand out before Buffalo really started on this upswing. I love watching Eichel, he's got the dangles, his shot is a rocket & he can get it off quick. Super smart. I'm glad he's finally got a good winger to play with, a smart scorer like Skinner fits him perfect. I think its not long before Eichel is in the Hart convo, I think he'll be there before Pete as he could very well be there this season if the Sabres keep on the way they are into the playoffs (which I think they will).

Your lucky to have a such a good player too. Nice to see two franchise that has been down for a long time (you more than us) seemingly up on the rise again. I think it would be great for Buffalo to be a contender again & I obviously hope my team will be too.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I'm not surprised. I honestly think very highly of Eichel. On IQ alone if guys were created equal Petey is among the absolute cream of the crop in the league but EP wasn't created equal physically. He's doesn't have the individual game that Eichel does as far as doing things himself, atleast right now.

Its hard to say enough good things about either player. Pete has so far surpassed my expectations, and I feel like Eichel has been such a good player from the start its just been hard for him to stand out before Buffalo really started on this upswing. I love watching Eichel, he's got the dangles, his shot is a rocket & he can get it off quick. Super smart. I'm glad he's finally got a good winger to play with, a smart scorer like Skinner fits him perfect. I think its not long before Eichel is in the Hart convo, I think he'll be there before Pete as he could very well be there this season if the Sabres keep on the way they are into the playoffs (which I think they will).

Your lucky to have a such a good player too. Nice to see two franchise that has been down for a long time (you more than us) seemingly up on the rise again. I think it would be great for Buffalo to be a contender again & I obviously hope my team will be too.

Respect.

Pettersen is projecting better but Eichel and Pettersen are more then eorojecting better then Mackinnon but it doesent mean as much if it doesent come true I guess. I think he’s fantastic but rantanen can’t be ignored there. That’s the thing none of these players are in the same situation. That’s why I respect Pettersen and Eichel they carry the weight.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

He probably will separate himself.

Pettersson is riding a very unsustainable shooting percentage. Eichel is shooting at 9 percent.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
He probably will separate himself.

Pettersson is riding a very unsustainable shooting percentage. Eichel is shooting at 9 percent.

The ”unsustainable shooting percentage” is such an overrated argument and isn’t useful in every situation. EP is a playmaker first and foremost who just happens to have a lethal shot along with that, he really picks his spots and shoots when he truely believes he has a reasonable chance to score, unlike shoot first guys I don’t believe his sh% will drop that much especislly considering his 25-30-ish sh% in the SHL last year (both reg season and playoffs) that some posters have mentioned.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The ”unsustainable shooting percentage” is such an overrated argument and isn’t useful in every situation. EP is a playmaker first and foremost who just happens to have a lethal shot along with that, he really picks his spots and shoots when he truely believes he has a reasonable chance to score, unlike shoot first guys I don’t believe his sh% will drop that much especislly considering his 25-30-ish sh% in the SHL last year (both reg season and playoffs) that some posters have mentioned.

Okay debate aside. He is shooting 27%. Last year when everyone agreed William Karlsson had a ridiculous and unsustainable year he lead the league at 23% among all skaters with at least 150 shots, 2nd behind him was Anders Lee at 19%. Year before that Sheifele lead the league at 20%.

Pettersson is not going to continue shooting 27% for his career. It is simply not going to happen regardless of his shooting percentage in the SHL or how he picks his shots etc. This isn't like "oh well he is slightly above average" this is "on another planet". That also doesn't mean he isn't a good player and doesn't mean he won't score a lot. Just means his current shooting percentage is unsustainable.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Okay debate aside. He is shooting 27%. Last year when everyone agreed William Karlsson had a ridiculous and unsustainable year he lead the league at 23% among all skaters with at least 150 shots, 2nd behind him was Anders Lee at 19%. Year before that Sheifele lead the league at 20%.

Pettersson is not going to continue shooting 27% for his career. It is simply not going to happen regardless of his shooting percentage in the SHL or how he picks his shots etc. This isn't like "oh well he is slightly above average" this is "on another planet". That also doesn't mean he isn't a good player and doesn't mean he won't score a lot. Just means his current shooting percentage is unsustainable.

He is an alien though...

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

No it’s a very good argument and perfectly applicable here.

EP won’t maintain anything even close to this SH. The greatest scorer of this era shoots at 12 percent.

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018

I totally didn’t notice you posted that a minute ago, thought it was more recent.

My bad chief.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad