Pettersson vs Eichel

Who do you pick going forward?

• Total voters

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
For reference, Eichel now has 159 in his last 159 just to all the people who would “he’s never gone PPG!” That’s back to back seasons of PPG in reality since he was Injured.

How many players can produce 216 pts in 241 games without a linemate to ever hit 60 pts? Because thats what Eichel has done. Dude had 64 pts in 67 games on the Lowest scoring team in the league last year.

It’s too early to tell for EP and I’ve watched over a dozen Canuck games this year (live in B.C., follow Toronto van edm and buffalo) but I’d keep jack as of now I just think his ability to dominate is just starting to be seen now. Maybe because he’s not injured for once. What Eichel did for E kane and J Skinner is incredible. Not saying Pettersen won’t dominate, he already is ....but I just like the size and skating of Eichel. And as he showed tonight his hands are absolutely ridiculous. I don’t even know what to call that through the legs x3 move he did in the third.

Petterson seems to have elite iq, vision, defensive responsibility down at a younger age. Eichel has been worlds better defensively (then he used to be) this season though....

Eichel is the safe pick Right now but EP is going to have a better rookie year for sure IMO.

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Too early to say as far Pete's concerned. I think its too hard to pick against Eichel, he's an absolute stud.

I think in a few years they should be on the same level. Eichel is obviously a few years ahead. Pete could be better eventually, but he also might end up being the same tier as Eichel with the comparison going back & forth.

I'm torn. Wish we'd put all the Petey polls on pause for a bit.

Edit: Voted even steven. Still much too early to tell.

Its too early to compare EP to some of the top stars (after McD). Come back at the end of the year, it will still be early but it will be a better time for comparisons than now. I've seen Rantanen/Eichel/Backstrom lately, aswell as Barzal which I think is atleast a bit more fair to Pete.

Last edited:
Reactions: Love

Tony Stacks

Jan 30, 2012
Seattle
I'd take Pettersson. Pettersson at 20, in my opinion was better than Eichel at 20 and is as good as 22 year old Eichel right now.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I'd take Pettersson. Pettersson at 20, in my opinion was better than Eichel at 20 and is as good as 22 year old Eichel right now.

Nah. To the second Part about right now, that’s not remotely true.

I’ve watched Canucks games where Petterson was invisible which is forgivable, he’s a rookie! only been a few and it was during the losing streak.

This is going to sound obnoxious but Eichel hasn’t had one game I can remember where he was like that this year. He’s been THAT good...... some of eichels best games this season were in games he didn’t get points. The sharks game, the avalanche game (earlier in the year) but again Petterson looks every bit as good at similar age if not better. The offensive cieling of both is highly comparable but like I said Eichel is the safe bet for now IMO.

My prediction Petterson is going to be a better two way forward but Eichel will have a higher pt total in their careers.

Ps Only Rantanen has more multi point games this season then Eichel who now has tied Mackinnon with 16.

Last edited:

Tony Stacks

Jan 30, 2012
Seattle

I’ve watched Canucks games where Petterson was invisible which is forgivable, he’s a rookie! only been a few and it was during the losing streak.

Eichel hasn’t had one game I can remember where he was like that. Infact some of eichels best games this season were in games he didn’t get points. The sharks game, the avalanche game (earlier in the year) but again Petterson looks every bit as good at similar age if not better. The offensive cieling of both is highly comparable but like I said Eichel is the safe bet for now IMO.

My prediction Petterson is going to be a better two way forward but Eichel will have a higher pt total in their careers.

Ps Only Rantanen has more multi point games this season then Eichel who now has tied Mackinnon with 16.
Looks at username. Yeah you're not biased at all. I'm not a Canucks fan but I've watched most of their games this season, and Pettersson stood out to me every time. He makes plays that are way ahead of his linemates' understanding hockey IQ wise and neither him nor the other scrubs that he's played with are strong enough to keep the Puck in the offensive end. Now that he has somebody who can do that in Leivo and Boeser is back, the difference is noticeable.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Looks at username. Yeah you're not biased at all. I'm not a Canucks fan but I've watched most of their games this season, and Pettersson stood out to me every time. He makes plays that are way ahead of his linemates' understanding hockey IQ wise and neither him nor the other scrubs that he's played with are strong enough to keep the Puck in the offensive end. Now that he has somebody who can do that in Leivo and Boeser is back, the difference is noticeable.

Oh come off it.

So looking at my username automatically disqualifies me of having an opinion on this that isn’t biased? Especially when I actually live in BC and watch both guys.

I’ve even admitted EP is better at his age which is quite the compliment (mcdavid comparisons remember?)....but he’s getting one thing Eichel never did last the draft.

Insane media hype from Canadian stations to promote hope for fanbAse and boost ratings. Some of the lines Doug McLean gets fed by Rogers “he may be too good for this league” come on now...there’s two things I know. If Eichel was on Tampa bay or had someone like gaudreau or marner on his wing he would either be winning the art ross or be competing with mcdavid for it yearly....could Petterson do this in a couple years too? Absilutely. The other thing is if Eichel played for a Canadian team he would be talked about 500x more, all of tsn Sportsnet would be familiar with the talent as well as a large part of HF....there’s tons of qualities guys like Matthews and Petterson have over Eichel when it comes to presentation and hype, and just talk in general. I’m not saying both guys don’t deserve it, they absolutely do but if Eichel was a jet or a leaf, he would be talked about every bit just as much. He’s plays 240 games and I bet you 65 percent or more of the voters in this poll haven’t seen him play ten games.

But me? Like I’ve said I follow leafs oilers Canucks and sabres and I’ve seen almost fifty combined Petterson and Eichel games, you mentioned the EP ones you’ve viewed, okay now how many have you of Eichel? Because if it’s not many, who’s the biased one? What do you call the definition of a person who watches one player and not another and then votes that player? That’s the real irony here, and think about it I didn’t even call you biased, that was you to me....unless I’m wrong and you watch the sabres regularly.

Last edited:

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007

This is going to sound obnoxious but Eichel hasn’t had one game I can remember where he was like that this year. He’s been THAT good...... some of eichels best games this season were in games he didn’t get points. The sharks game, the avalanche game (earlier in the year) but again Petterson looks every bit as good at similar age if not better. The offensive cieling of both is highly comparable but like I said Eichel is the safe bet for now IMO.

Not remotely true? I think that’s debatable. One has 16 goals and 32 points in 27 games, the other has 9 goals 36 points in 30 games..

Pettersson is a rookie. He’s been better than Eichel as a rookie and Eichel in his draft+1 season, and just as good this season. Even more I think the reverse ie Pettersson will probably outscore Eichel in their careers because from what I’ve seen of both, Pettersson is more offensively gifted.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Flip a coin. Both are going to be amongst the top centers in the league vying for second best behind McDavid. Can’t go wrong with either. I’m really impressed with the jump Eichel has taken this year and his leadership role on a young Sabres team.
Both fan bases should be ecstatic. As a Canuck fan it feels like we finally won the draft lottery for the first time.

Reactions: CP4

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Not remotely true? I think that’s debatable. One has 16 goals and 32 points in 27 games, the other has 9 goals 36 points in 30 games..

Pettersson is a rookie. He’s been better than Eichel as a rookie and Eichel in his draft+1 season, and just as good this season. Even more I think the reverse ie Pettersson will probably outscore Eichel in their careers because from what I’ve seen of both, Pettersson is more offensively gifted.

You mean 10 goals 29 assists 39 points for jack.

Like I’ve said I’ve watched the Canucks this season and EP looked invisible at times which again I say is forgivable because he’s a rookie, it didn’t happen often but it was during a few games during their losing streak. In other games he’s a phenom at both ends.

Points aren’t everything either....., eichels best games this year he didn’t have points in ......and I even admitted Pettersen looks better as a rookie. Eichels done this ever since taking over as captain, he’s been a true leader and has fixed a lot of the holes In his game and is helping turn this franchise around. Making him captain has made him extremely accountable.

Of course Pettersen is offensively fired, but You say all what you did as if Eichel isn’t offensively gifted? Eichel has as much pure offensive skill as anyone in this league. And before you laugh or question that or think I n just a homer ask yourself how many games you’ve seen Eichel play. If it’s below 15 don’t even reply...I don’t expect many Canuck fans to agree with this because of how little they probably see of him, and how golden their new god is. That’s a bad combo for a one track thought. EP is filthy, he’s going to be a star and he’s already pretty much a number one center. How many guys could accomplish that so fast is limited, just like how many guys could put up the amount of PPG Eiche has with the amount of support he’s been given. (He’s finished 11th and 31st in PPG this season) and given that he’s what 7th in scoring right now I’d say he’s top ten again in points per game again among players who have played at least 20. Pettersen is too of course. But I shouldn’t be vilified for this opinion. Eichel managed to do this without a linemate getting a large amount of points, almost every player including mcdavid in the top ten in scoring has a guy with an insane amount of points. (Drai and Nug produce too) but I’m not saying eichels better then them, that’d be non sense. But it matters. It’s also a reason EP had been so great he doesent rely on anyone.

Im not even being slightly ignorant here, I benefit in this comparison because like the Matthews-Eichel stuff I see both guys....ps this isn’t a knock on EP I think this will be really close at the end of the day, the only reason I say Eichels ahead RIGHT now is because it’s not enough of a time frame. He could be worse or better we need to see more still, and the fact that in the games Eichel didn’t score he was still a star on the ice, while
The games EP didn’t score he looked pedestrian. Again which is okay he’s a rookie!

Last edited:

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Eichel was better at 20 then EP is now and will continue to be so.
20 year old Eichel in his first 27 games (2016-2017 season) - 12g 21p
Pettersson in 27 games (rookie season, started off at 19) - 16g, 32p

Those are the stats if you're adamant about comparing at the same age despite having a season on Pettersson. It actually took Eichel 11 more games to get to 32 points that season, and 18 more games to get to 16 goals.

FYI though, Eichel in his first 27 games - 9g, 14p

Last edited:

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
You mean 10 goals 28 assists 38 points for jack.

Like I’ve said I’ve watched the Canucks this season and EP looked invisible at times which again I say is forgivable because he’s a rookie, it didn’t happen often but it was during a few games during their losing streak. In other games he’s a phenom at both ends.

Eichels never took a night off this year. Honestly he’s been a star in almost every game he’s played.

Points aren’t everything either....., eichels best games this year he didn’t have points in ......and I even admitted Pettersen looks better as a rookie.

Of course Pettersen is offensively fired, but You say all what you did as if Eichel isn’t offensively gifted? Eichel has as much pure offensive skill as anyone in this league. And before you laugh or question that or think I n just a homer ask yourself how many games you’ve seen Eichel play. If it’s below 15 don’t even reply...I don’t expect many Canuck fans to agree with this because of how little they probably see of him, and how golden their new god is. That’s a bad combo for a one track thought.

Im not even being slightly ignorant here, I benefit in this comparison because like the Matthews-Eichel stuff I see both guys....
I think you need to read more closely before you put words in my mouth. Where did I say Eichel isn’t offensively gifted? I’m saying it’s debateable and that I disagree with your opinion that it’s not remotely close or that Pettersson is invisible. I’ve watched those games and he was creating offense even when he didn’t score. You don’t get to 32 points in 27 games by being invisible. I didn’t call you a homer or characterize you, just your post and opinion, so I ask you don’t characterize myself as lacking a viable opinion on Eichel based on your arbitrary number of games.

Golden god... yeesh

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I think you need to read more closely before you put words in my mouth. Where did I say Eichel isn’t offensively gifted? I’m saying it’s debateable and that I disagree with your opinion that it’s not remotely close or that Pettersson is invisible. I’ve watched those games and he was creating offense even when he didn’t score. You don’t get to 32 points in 27 games by being invisible. I didn’t call you a homer or characterize you, just your post and opinion, so I ask you don’t characterize myself as lacking a viable opinion on Eichel based on your arbitrary number of games.

Golden god... yeesh

It’s all good dude, You’re now telling me to read closer then go on to re-arrange my words...I didn’t say Petterson was invisible, you’re taking that out of context. I said when comparing right now Eichel is ahead because in the games he didn’t score he didn’t look invisible like EP did. (This is the third time in the thread I’m about to say this) that in the games Eichel didn’t get points this year he was a strong presence, every game with him since he’s been captain he’s given it his all and again some of his best games this season were games he didn’t score. While Petterson looked rather pedestrian in the games he didn’t produce. (Which I’ve repeated 3x is OKAY because he’s a rookie and I think he will have a far better rookie year then Eichel, that’s not even close really)

However since you didn’t respond to my question about how many games you’ve seen Eichel play this year I’ll assume that’s because you haven’t wAtched him, which again is why you were probably quick to jump to point totals as a way of comparison. That’s fine, I don’t expect everyone to watch every player to have an opinion but don’t call me biased from my username when I’ve actually watched both players. You say you don’t get 32 pts in 27 gmes being invisible, yeah, it’s a good thing I wasn’t calling him invisible then isn’t it? He got ten pts in a two game stretch which is incredible and doesent make his point totals look worse, but that shows you IT IS possible to look invisible AT TIMES because that’s 22 pts in 25 of the other games. Which is incredible but that’s not what I’m referring to here, that’s just pointing out in some games when the Nucks lost 12 of 13 he was rather pedestrian. (The nicer “non invisible” way of saying it) And he looked this way even in some games before that streak I saw .....but it wAs only only a couple times. Not enough to really get worked up on about, but if you’re comparing this to a guy who’s been good every game, then yeah.....it stands out.

Furthermore, I have many friends who are Canuck fans who even came to work saying “yeah EP didn’t have a great game, didn’t notice him tonight” more then a couple times. Eichel leads the league in shots, is fourth in offensive zone possession, third in assists, 7th in points, the guy dominates almost every night since being captain, like I said it’s made him more accountable.

All you’ve brought to this discussion is the great things EP has done and have said nothing about eichels play, other then his pts total which again indicates to me you haven’t seen it. And again, this makes Me biased? Okay, Im biased then. But at least I’m not ignoring one of the two parties involved in this little discussion.

Last edited:

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I mean Pettersson is performing equally to Eichel despite being two years younger and on a much worse team.

I take Pettersson.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
i dont want to choose...they're both amazing players.
different styles though.

I will say though that Pettersson turned 20 just recently...and hes on a 97 pt pace (over 82 games) thats insane

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I mean Pettersson is performing equally to Eichel despite being two years younger and on a much worse team.

I take Pettersson.

Sample size?

It’s possible but we’ll see how that holds up after a season or two ....and love the bold on the much worse team then Eichel, buffalo only gets goals from Eichels line.....and he only had the lowest scoring team in the league last year but still managed to go basically point per game (64 in 67) so he’s not immune to the suckage around him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad