Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Imagine EP with someone like Rantanen on his wing? No way he gets ragdolled by that dwarf Caulfield.

Put someone like Hyman on our PP over Garland, and there's zero chance EP isn't taking that gimme shot on an open net.

You can't expect a guy not to cough up the puck directly to an opposing forward, and score on his own net, not when you have Lafferty as a linemate.

if needs another top end expensive player than he shouldn't be making the money he just got. That pay day he got has expectations to it. He needs to be the guy.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I mean, I am actually a clinical counsellor so calling me a fraud pretend psychologist (which Dr. Phil is if you look into him) is just missing the mark in the same way that you did with your xenophobic interpretation of Pettersson's body language.
Xenophobic? Really? We're doing this?

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
you say pulse i say he has a problem controlling his emotions. gimme hockey robots over players that sulk, pout and throw on ice tantrums everyday
Miller doesn't sulk and pout though. It's just you can tell he's acutely aware of the urgency when he and the team needs to be better. I can't say for sure if Pettersson has that because yeah, he could just be internalizing it, but what I do know is that you can directly impact and rally your team when you wear it on your sleeve. This goes for a lot of situations in life.

But again, we're dealing with personal opinions here. I just think nobody needs to get offended by the other's preferences. Nobody is directly attacking Pettersson so there is zero need to throw out xenophobia accusations.

Reactions: Nomobo

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
every season 31 teams "choke".
Who said not winning the Stanley Cup is the threshold for choking?

I mean, we can stick to ethnocentric if you prefer. But the point is that it comes from a place of ignorance.
There's absolutely zero proof people's opinions and preferences on the matter are "ethnocentric". That's you projecting that. Your words.

Not trying to start something. This is just a sore spot for me. Nowadays people throw words and accusations like this way too casually. Same with how the "Nazi" label people are using these days for pretty much anyone with a different viewpoint, most often a conservative viewpoint. Everyone needs to watch it.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
If this bum continues to suck until we're eliminated, he wont be playing here at the end of next season

You threatened to leave because you want to be on a winning team, openly say you wanted more then nylander and you're the biggest p***y on this team in the playoffs

The fans will boo him

Reactions: B-rock

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Who said not winning the Stanley Cup is the threshold for choking?

There's absolutely zero proof people's opinions and preferences on the matter are "ethnocentric". That's you projecting that. Your words.

Not trying to start something. This is just a sore spot for me. Nowadays people throw words and accusations like this way too casually. Same with how the "Nazi" label people are using these days for pretty much anyone with a different viewpoint, most often a conservative viewpoint. Everyone needs to watch it.
I disagree with you that there is zero proof that it's ethnocentric.

Genuine question, do you know what ethnocentric means?

Because when someone looks at a person from another culture and judges their reaction to something strictly through the lens of their own cultural expression of that same emotion (i.e. in the west we want a leader to be angry and loud etc etc speaking really stereotypically), without considering that different cultures experience things differently and contextualize them differently. That's literally exactly what ethnocentrism is.

I'm not discarding the person's humanity. Being ethnocentric on one issue doesn't mean you are on every single issue. Nor does it mean you can't learn and expand your horizons to be better with that sort of thing in the future. But asserting that Petey doesn't care enough, or doesn't care as much as Hughes or Petey because of your North American interpretation of his body language is dictionary definition of ethnocentrism.

If this bum continues to suck until we're eliminated, he wont be playing here at the end of next season

You threatened to leave because you want to be on a winning team, openly say you wanted more then nylander and you're the biggest p***y on this team in the playoffs

The fans will boo him
I will bet you a thousand dollars he will be here at the end of next season.

[mod]

Either put your money where your mouth is, or chill out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lousy

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Ok Dr. Phil.

I never said he didn't care. I said he did.

He just clearly doesn't give the same level of f*** as Miller and Hughes.

There's a legitimate reason he isn't captain and it's not just about Hughes.
I don't get the vibe that Pettersson doesn't try, his problem is that he's thinking about a billion other things over the course of a game that doesn't have anything to do with the game.

A guy like Miller might say a bunch of stupid shit or spaz out on the spot but that's because he knows he needs to get his frustration out of the way quick to stay focused on the next shift and that's how he deals with it. Whereas Petey will be thinking of what-could've-beens while the puck is on his stick with a defender bearing down on him. Of course that could also be a reason why he's not wearing the C but imo it has nothing to do with effort on the ice.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Seriously?

The Sedins being sisters and too soft came from a whole hell of a lot of troglodytes in our fanbase. It was incessant until the Hart trophy in 2010.
Then people acted like they never said it.

Until the playoffs of 2011 when it poked it's head back in, but not to the same degree.

Ferreal, people acting like the Sedins weren't shit on constantly by Canucks fans either weren't around back then or are misremembering.

Hell, one of the worst posters I have ever seen (my opinion) had a whole campaign against the Sedins for years and years and had a bunch of really dumb ideas for who to replace them with. I won't go into detail because then it would become excessively clear who I'm talking about.

You'll have to Pause, ere, it'll be another y2k years if we go into that.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I agree with what you are saying. I just want to point out that Pettersson is not a McDavid, MacKinnon, or Crosby-level talent. Those are all-time great players. Pettersson's game relies on making creative offensive plays and his great shot. Playing with linemates who do not compliment his style sets him up for failure. Low production leads to low confidence, which then leads to worse production and worse confidence. It's a bad feedback loop.

I don't disagree but I do note that you are the one who brought up MacKinnon as a comparison. I actually wouldn't say that Petey isn't a MacKinnon-level talent, but Petey lacks MacKinnon's explosive skating which is a difference that cannot be understated.

I've been saying that the Canucks' priority should be to find a partner to play with Hughes, Petey, and Miller so I'm definitely on board with finding someone for Petey to play with. But we've all seen what Petey can do outside of the Lotto line. Even last year with Kuzmenko. Petey at his best is pretty much an automatic zone entry and can allow a player like Kuzemko to put up Boeser-like numbers.

The point is that if Petey was flying out there creating chances that his teammates were not good enough to convert, I don't think many here would be bashing Petey. I also have been complimentary of Petey not playing at his best while putting up points because elite players do that.

Obviously it's early and we really didn't get bounces in Game 2 so you have not seen me attack Petey at all. Petey is a competitive guy, expectations of himself is high, we gave him an extension that says he's a top 5 player in the league, the expectatations are that he should be a matchup nightmare or going toe to toe with Nashville's best.

Reactions: Jay26

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Great post. It really is toxic and cyber bullying behaviour. Unfortunately it's difficult to call out that behaviour without violating site rules. I just point out that it's there for all to see but it only goes so far as I would then be accused of virtue signalling.
world's tiniest violin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You mean the insults predominantly used by other teams? I think I could count on one hand the amount of times "Sedin sisters" was used by actual Canuck fans.

Likewise, they only got the "bust" label very early in their careers because, well, yeah, they were living up to their draft position at the time. They weren't busted but every fanbase throws that around for underperforming first round picks: i.e., Lafreniere and Slafkovsky.

How does the rest not make sense? Pettersson refused any real contract negotiations after publicly saying he wanted to see where the team was going and his focus was to play for a "winning team." Perfectly fair stance to take, especially given how disastrous we've been over the last few years.

That being said, it opens him up to equally fair criticism when the team does everything he wanted, gives him a massive contract and he's playing at a subpar level. Put simply, fans aren't "turning" on him so much as they're voicing frustration he isn't living up to the demands he made.

Now there are some saying we outta trade him and all that nonsense. But that's like a few posters at most.
Ok. So he should have said I dont care about winning, I dont care where I play or where the team is headed I just want some moneys!

And boom. No longer responsible for anything.

You are making it sound like he forces the team to become a winner against their will?

This is just culturally ignorant, I think.

We in the west have a particular perspective on what caring 'looks like', and I think it's pretty ethnocentric to demand that everyone everywhere express things in precisely the same way.

Petey's struggling out there and there's nothing wrong with noting that fact. But a lot of this amateur armchair psychologist stuff is just ignorant, and then you have a lot of loud attention seekers who are either trolling or taking out their unhappiness in their own lives on the players whom they think should be making them happy.
This is incredibly well put.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

DimitriL07

Jan 24, 2023
Vancouver BC
The elite players try something and if it doesn’t come off they’ll go back to it until it does. They don’t sulk on mistakes. Petey will miss a shot and start passing when he should shoot. He’ll make a bad pass and he’ll shoot when he should pass. Mentally he just isn’t that strong when things go wrong. When he’s on his game there aren’t many players like him and that stems from confidence.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The elite players try something and if it doesn’t come off they’ll go back to it until it does. They don’t sulk on mistakes. Petey will miss a shot and start passing when he should shoot. He’ll make a bad pass and he’ll shoot when he should pass. Mentally he just isn’t that strong when things go wrong. When he’s on his game there aren’t many players like him and that stems from confidence.
Ok.

We f***ed up.

Guess its rebuild time since we are stuck with this shithead swede.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Should have signed him after the season. We could have leveraged his late season struggles. Hope management feels stupid about this one.

Reactions: DimitriL07

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
if needs another top end expensive player than he shouldn't be making the money he just got. That pay day he got has expectations to it. He needs to be the guy.
There’s a balance to be struck.

He absolutely should be able to drive play. He’s proven that he’s capable of it in the past and he isn’t doing that at the moment.

But there should also be the recognition that he should have better wingers than he has now, and that having said wingers would bring out the best in him that Höglander and Mikheyev, no disrespect to them, can’t.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Ok.

We f***ed up.

Guess its rebuild time since we are stuck with this shithead swede.
We don't have to rebuild but we should think about moving on from him. He's like a German car: Runs great for periods of time but come with to much maintenance and issues.

There’s a balance to be struck.

He absolutely should be able to drive play. He’s proven that he’s capable of it in the past and he isn’t doing that at the moment.

But there should also be the recognition that he should have better wingers than he has now, and that having said wingers would bring out the best in him that Höglander and Mikheyev, no disrespect to them, can’t.
He's proven he can do it for periods of time. At his salary consistency matters.

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Should have signed him after the season. We could have leveraged his late season struggles. Hope management feels stupid about this one.

He still had 102 and 89 point seasons back to back. How much leverage do you think they would have?

Ok 11m instead of 11.6m, do you feel better now?

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Outstanding player but he is so mentally fragile. He needs a sports psychologist. I am just praying that he finds his game again before the season runs out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad