Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Jeff Paterson pointed out that (either after a tv timeout or period I can't remember now) how the 4 guys on PP1 were on the ice for ready for a powerplay and Pettersson was on the bench taping his wrist.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I love JT Miller and always have.

Pettersson...I really liked him when he came here. But him playing better after his 2021 slump and then implying he'll leave if the team doesn't become competitive...and then totally playing like ass lately is not exactly endearing.
Lets hope he bails then.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Jeff Paterson pointed out that (either after a tv timeout or period I can't remember now) how the 4 guys on PP1 were on the ice for ready for a powerplay and Pettersson was on the bench taping his wrist.
the dumb question I have is, why didnt he rest his wrist for that last regular season game? like Tocchet said, hes a young kid still, first time playing playoff games in front of a crazy crowd. maturity level is different than Quinn, management sees this and gave Quinn the C.

Reactions: B-rock

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Maybe this has passed now as I am not up to date on this thread... but people do remember we couldn't add a winger at the deadline because we were capped out right? like we had 100k of space... so yeah we maybe could have gotten a guy, but then we would have had to pay even more to lose a guy, and pay for the cap space... like yeah i would have loved to get someone... but it isn't a realistic thing to be talking about.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
arm-work.gif

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Sedin sisters? Busts? Too soft to get it done in the playoffs?

You mean the insults predominantly used by other teams? I think I could count on one hand the amount of times "Sedin sisters" was used by actual Canuck fans.

Likewise, they only got the "bust" label very early in their careers because, well, yeah, they were living up to their draft position at the time. They weren't busted but every fanbase throws that around for underperforming first round picks: i.e., Lafreniere and Slafkovsky.

He is playing bad.

The rest of this makes zero sense to me...

A tiny part of me hopes for his sake he gets moved out of this market. 50 years of losing has made the fan base bat shit crazy.

How does the rest not make sense? Pettersson refused any real contract negotiations after publicly saying he wanted to see where the team was going and his focus was to play for a "winning team." Perfectly fair stance to take, especially given how disastrous we've been over the last few years.

That being said, it opens him up to equally fair criticism when the team does everything he wanted, gives him a massive contract and he's playing at a subpar level. Put simply, fans aren't "turning" on him so much as they're voicing frustration he isn't living up to the demands he made.

Now there are some saying we outta trade him and all that nonsense. But that's like a few posters at most.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Do you enjoy watching him face plant?
Do you enjoy watching him rag dolled by players?
Do you enjoy the lack of urgency he shows?
Do you enjoy the sulking?
Do you enjoy him never willing us to victory?

He can do a lot or change a lot of those things without wingers. You're hyper focused on his point production. I am focused on his ability to lead the team to win in areas outside of the score sheet.
At 11.6M he has to be the complete package. Sometimes the game requires more than just a skill set with the puck.

With all that being said I am aware thats the type of player I like on a team I cheer for which is why I like Brady T, Miller, Mack, Bergeron etc.
Emotional.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I can't speak to Bure and Naslund since they were before I watched but I don't recall any time people turned against the Sedins. At least not a majority.

Luongo, yes. Although, that's partially due to his collapse in Boston and on management dragging out the goalie battle far too long. That all being said, Luongo is unfairly vilified for "costing" us the series when by the time we reached Boston, more than half the team was injured.

Nevertheless, Pettersson has been playing poorly for a lot longer than a month. He also did something none of the above mentioned players did: made a big case about wanting to play for a winning team. He basically put a massive target on himself because the team accomplished everything he asked for, including giving him a huge mega deal. Now he's the one not delivering.

Seriously?

The Sedins being sisters and too soft came from a whole hell of a lot of troglodytes in our fanbase. It was incessant until the Hart trophy in 2010.
Then people acted like they never said it.

Until the playoffs of 2011 when it poked it's head back in, but not to the same degree.

Hell, one of the worst posters I have ever seen (my opinion) had a whole campaign against the Sedins for years and years and had a bunch of really dumb ideas for who to replace them with. I won't go into detail because then it would become excessively clear who I'm talking about.

It was exhausting being a Canucks fan/knowledgeable hockey watcher and having to deal with ignorant xenophobic fans who thought the Sedins should put their fist through a wall to inspire the team.

I don’t care if EP is Swedish. I don’t care that his head is too big for his body.

He says he cares and I’m sure he does.

But there is nothing to me that suggests that he has the same drive or passion of a Miller or Hughes.

Those two would be f***ing livid and push harder to get through their struggles.

EP just seems to plod along with either the expectation it will sort itself out or just a complete lack of “gives a f***” to the level needed.

Yes, he’s been saddled with primarily shit wingers that I’m sure is defeating.

But he’s also paid to be the catalyst and drive the line. He currently does not do this to anywhere near the extent he did when he first broke into the league.

Fantastic player, especially when he’s on.

But that’s few and far between lately and he’s paid to be one. That’s why people are frustrated because they know he can be better.

It’s entirely possible he is/was dealing with an injury and it’s completely impacted his mental game.

But him, the coaching staff and mgmt need to figure out whatever the hell is need to work through it.

Because just giving him time to do it on his own isn’t working.

Put him on the Lotto line FT right now.

Screw the depth.

Because right now the team is facing down a barrel and they need significant changes.
This is just culturally ignorant, I think.

We in the west have a particular perspective on what caring 'looks like', and I think it's pretty ethnocentric to demand that everyone everywhere express things in precisely the same way.

Petey's struggling out there and there's nothing wrong with noting that fact. But a lot of this amateur armchair psychologist stuff is just ignorant, and then you have a lot of loud attention seekers who are either trolling or taking out their unhappiness in their own lives on the players whom they think should be making them happy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If his wrist is messed up it's pretty bizarre that he's taking faceoffs

He's also taking slap shot one timers. Wrists are tricky though. It's possible that the different type of movement involved (faceoffs) doesn't hurt vs shooting the puck but there's not much you can do if you're playing you need to shoot the puck.

• Wow
Reactions: Nucker101

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Seriously?

The Sedins being sisters and too soft came from a whole hell of a lot of troglodytes in our fanbase. It was incessant until the Hart trophy in 2010.

Until the playoffs of 2011 when it poked it's head back in, but not to the same degree.

Hell, one of the worst posters I have ever seen (my opinion) had a whole campaign against the Sedins for years and years and had a bunch of really dumb ideas for who to replace them with. I won't go into detail because then it would become excessively clear who I'm talking about.

It was exhausting being a Canucks fan/knowledgeable hockey watcher and having to deal with ignorant xenophobic fans who thought the Sedins should put their fist through a wall to inspire the team.

We in the west have a particular perspective on what caring 'looks like', and I think it's pretty ethnocentric to demand that everyone everywhere express things in precisely the same way.

Petey's struggling out there and there's nothing wrong with noting that fact. But a lot of this amateur armchair psychologist stuff is just ignorant, and then you have a lot of loud attention seekers who are either trolling or taking out their unhappiness in their own lives on the players whom they think should be making them happy.

Great post. It really is toxic and cyber bullying behaviour. Unfortunately it's difficult to call out that behaviour without violating site rules. I just point out that it's there for all to see but it only goes so far as I would then be accused of virtue signalling.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
MacKinnon scored 53 points in 82 games in his 3rd year. Mikko Rantanen scored 38 points that year.

Very next season MacKinnon scored 97 points in 74 games and Rantanen scored 84 points

Total coincidence, I am sure MacKinnons breakout had nothing to do with having a star linemate. In fact, he probably just carried Rantanen and turned him into a star :rolleyes:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Seriously?

Ok Dr. Phil.

I never said he didn't care. I said he did.

He just clearly doesn't give the same level of f*** as Miller and Hughes.

There's a legitimate reason he isn't captain and it's not just about Hughes.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Imagine EP with someone like Rantanen on his wing? No way he gets ragdolled by that dwarf Caulfield.

Put someone like Hyman on our PP over Garland, and there's zero chance EP isn't taking that gimme shot on an open net.

You can't expect a guy not to cough up the puck directly to an opposing forward, and score on his own net, not when you have Lafferty as a linemate.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Ok Dr. Phil.

I never said he didn't care. I said he did.

He just clearly doesn't give the same level of f*** as Miller and Hughes.

There's a legitimate reason he isn't captain and it's not just about Hughes.
I mean, I am actually a clinical counsellor so calling me a fraud pretend psychologist (which Dr. Phil is if you look into him) is just missing the mark in the same way that you did with your xenophobic interpretation of Pettersson's body language.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
MacKinnon scored 53 points in 82 games in his 3rd year. Mikko Rantanen scored 38 points that year.

Very next season MacKinnon scored 97 points in 74 games and Rantanen scored 84 points

Total coincidence, I am sure MacKinnons breakout had nothing to do with having a star linemate. In fact, he probably just carried Rantanen and turned him into a star :rolleyes:

I think you are engaging in different discussions. Most players have breakout seasons between their 4th-6th NHL season or 23-26 years of age. Better linemates help boost offensive totals.

But if you watch McDavid or MacKinnon or Crosby etc. with and without good line mates I don’t think most would come away underwhelmed. Heck, look at Petey at the start of the year. He was playing with Mik and Kuz/Lafferty? It looked like Petey had another gear with his physical play.

Elite players (when healthy) look like elite players regardless of who they play with. They turn their linemates into goal scorers and carry their teams on their backs etc. the criticism comes from Petey not looking like a top 5 player.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I don’t get this at all.

He’s emotional and a bit of a spaz. But the glimpses we get into his personal/family life he seems like a terrific person, terrific dad. He seems to love it in Vancouver. He sticks up for teammates. He’s funny and does hilarious stuff like the ‘Garland 400 games’ shirt. He basically did the GM’s job speaking for the franchise when the COVID stuff happened.

He’s going into the ROH here and there’s a reason his name is getting chanted constantly.
Yeah there's a clear divide on this issue likely based on everyone's individual personality. I love Miller and feels he's everything the team needs to succeed.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
I think you are engaging in different discussions. Most players have breakout seasons between their 4th-6th NHL season or 23-26 years of age. Better linemates help boost offensive totals.

But if you watch McDavid or MacKinnon or Crosby etc. with and without good line mates I don’t think most would come away underwhelmed. Heck, look at Petey at the start of the year. He was playing with Mik and Kuz/Lafferty? It looked like Petey had another gear with his physical play.

Elite players (when healthy) look like elite players regardless of who they play with. They turn their linemates into goal scorers and carry their teams on their backs etc. the criticism comes from Petey not looking like a top 5 player.

I agree with what you are saying. I just want to point out that Pettersson is not a McDavid, MacKinnon, or Crosby-level talent. Those are all-time great players. Pettersson's game relies on making creative offensive plays and his great shot. Playing with linemates who do not compliment his style sets him up for failure. Low production leads to low confidence, which then leads to worse production and worse confidence. It's a bad feedback loop.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00