Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think hyperbole has become quite common in MS' posting style,
:popcorn:

I dont think its really fair to bag on a guy because he's an obvious introvert , or he comes off badly in interviews...Sounds like you're on a bit of a campaign here.
Kind of like the stereotypical bully who peaked in high school still thinking the skinny quiet kid in class is a loser with no friends.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
He's still sniped this season, I honestly think a lot of his struggles are right in between his ears

That's good to know. I haven't watched as much as I would like this season. Feels like I just haven't see that shot in a LOOONG time.

Should get Hank and Dan to go over and talk to him. Maybe that could help.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Do you enjoy watching him face plant?
Do you enjoy watching him rag dolled by players?
Do you enjoy the lack of urgency he shows?
Do you enjoy the sulking?
Do you enjoy him never willing us to victory?

He can do a lot or change a lot of those things without wingers. You're hyper focused on his point production. I am focused on his ability to lead the team to win in areas outside of the score sheet.
At 11.6M he has to be the complete package. Sometimes the game requires more than just a skill set with the puck.

With all that being said I am aware thats the type of player I like on a team I cheer for which is why I like Brady T, Miller, Mack, Bergeron etc.
Thats racist

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
View attachment 858876View attachment 858877View attachment 858878View attachment 858879

One of these is not like the other.

I am assuming your take comes from ignorance instead of malice.
It's exactly like the Hughes nonsense the last couple of years. I said repeatedly that Hughes would never have left the norris conversation if he'd had a partner like the other norris contenders e.g. Toews/Cernak/etc instead of the waiver bait #6's he had to deal with.

And every time I posted that someone would chime in that "if he needs a babysitter he isn't good enough!!!"

I think EP needs to be better and can be better but the bombastic comments about him from a select few posters are really stupid and polarizing for no reason other than juvenile attention seeking.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Vancouver fans will do what they always do. Turn on their best players.

Bure, Näslund, Sedins, Luongo...

Cant wait for Hughes to struggle for a month and read the cool takes here.

I can't speak to Bure and Naslund since they were before I watched but I don't recall any time people turned against the Sedins. At least not a majority.

Luongo, yes. Although, that's partially due to his collapse in Boston and on management dragging out the goalie battle far too long. That all being said, Luongo is unfairly vilified for "costing" us the series when by the time we reached Boston, more than half the team was injured.

Nevertheless, Pettersson has been playing poorly for a lot longer than a month. He also did something none of the above mentioned players did: made a big case about wanting to play for a winning team. He basically put a massive target on himself because the team accomplished everything he asked for, including giving him a huge mega deal. Now he's the one not delivering.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I dont think its really fair to bag on a guy because he's an obvious introvert , or he comes off badly in interviews...Sounds like you're on a bit of a campaign here.

I also thinks its inaccurate to say that he's a diver, or embellisher..I've seen him get mad at the officials for making a bad call, when its a powerplay for the opposition..Embellishers don't do that..Admittedly, there are some poor calls made on Pettersson because he often loses his balance, but that's not intentional on the players part.
isn't this what some posters here have been doing to Miller for 3yrs

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I don’t care if EP is Swedish. I don’t care that his head is too big for his body.

He says he cares and I’m sure he does.

But there is nothing to me that suggests that he has the same drive or passion of a Miller or Hughes.

Those two would be f***ing livid and push harder to get through their struggles.

EP just seems to plod along with either the expectation it will sort itself out or just a complete lack of “gives a f***” to the level needed.

Yes, he’s been saddled with primarily shit wingers that I’m sure is defeating.

But he’s also paid to be the catalyst and drive the line. He currently does not do this to anywhere near the extent he did when he first broke into the league.

Fantastic player, especially when he’s on.

But that’s few and far between lately and he’s paid to be one. That’s why people are frustrated because they know he can be better.

It’s entirely possible he is/was dealing with an injury and it’s completely impacted his mental game.

But him, the coaching staff and mgmt need to figure out whatever the hell is need to work through it.

Because just giving him time to do it on his own isn’t working.

Put him on the Lotto line FT right now.

Screw the depth.

Because right now the team is facing down a barrel and they need significant changes.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Same vibes as late-career Naslund where you wonder if this guy even likes playing hockey.

Initially, he seemed to hate the game post Moore-Bertuzzi, but there has been rumors that he started getting seriously homesick and had an immense desire to return to Sweden in the mid 2000's. I tend to suspect the latter was the case as he continued to do incredible work in his community and remained involved in hockey over there.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I can't speak to Bure and Naslund since they were before I watched
Bure was "enigmatic russian" like EP is now enigmatic european.

Näslund was a failed captain because his bodylanguage was that of a euro and he admitted when they messed up.
but I don't recall any time people turned against the Sedins. At least not a majority.
Sedin sisters? Busts? Too soft to get it done in the playoffs?
Luongo, yes. Although, that's partially due to his collapse in Boston and on management dragging out the goalie battle far too long. That all being said, Luongo is unfairly vilified for "costing" us the series when by the time we reached Boston, more than half the team was injured.
Also.

Most of the league had not caught up to how you need to load manage goalies with how physically and mentally taxing the position had become.

Luongo was ridden to the ground
Nevertheless, Pettersson has been playing poorly for a lot longer than a month. He also did something none of the above mentioned players did: made a big case about wanting to play for a winning team. He basically put a massive target on himself because the team accomplished everything he asked for, including giving him a huge mega deal. Now he's the one not delivering.
He is playing bad.

The rest of this makes zero sense to me...

A tiny part of me hopes for his sake he gets moved out of this market. 50 years of losing has made the fan base bat shit crazy.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver fans will do what they always do. Turn on their best players.

Bure, Näslund, Sedins, Luongo...

Cant wait for Hughes to struggle for a month and read the cool takes here.

Yep, no fanbase hates the best players in their history as much as this one.

Maybe on some of those teams its the elite C that is making the winger better?

This is pure speculation since all those elite C have an elite winger to start with. We would need to give them 2 borderline AHL linemates for a year to truly see how they do. Hoglander went from the AHL last year, to 24 goals this year on Pettersson's wing, and that is with Mikeyhev or Lafferty as the third guy.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I don’t care if EP is Swedish. I don’t care that his head is too big for his body.

He says he cares and I’m sure he does.

But there is nothing to me that suggests that he has the same drive or passion of a Miller or Hughes.

Those two would be f***ing livid and push harder to get through their struggles.

EP just seems to plod along with either the expectation it will sort itself out or just a complete lack of “gives a f***” to the level needed.

Yes, he’s been saddled with primarily shit wingers that I’m sure is defeating.

But he’s also paid to be the catalyst and drive the line. He currently does not do this to anywhere near the extent he did when he first broke into the league.

Fantastic player, especially when he’s on.

But that’s few and far between lately and he’s paid to be one. That’s why people are frustrated because they know he can be better.

It’s entirely possible he is/was dealing with an injury and it’s completely impacted his mental game.

But him, the coaching staff and mgmt need to figure out whatever the hell is need to work through it.

Because just giving him time to do it on his own isn’t working.

Put him on the Lotto line FT right now.

Screw the depth.

Because right now the team is facing down a barrel and they need significant changes.
for those of us thats been long time fans. Its fair to say that Swedes just have a different demeanor than the canadians and americans that we are used to. You rarely get a rar rar Mackinnon, Messier type player where everyone on ice and in the nosebleeds knows how they are feeling. Generically speaking, Swedes, Naslund, Ohlund, Sedins, Markstrom, Edler, even Gradin Arvidsson Sundstrom..... they dont like to call attention to themselves. There are outliers ....like Lack. But its in their national psyche. Expecting them to SHOWCASE they care is not really fruitful. They show it in their hustle and more nuanced way on ice. Critique their play on ice in a chat forum, but when it comes to demeanor in their body language, there are other factors to consider like culture and/or personal stuff.

Hes on enough as recently as January when he was the third star of the month. and scored like 4 straight GWGs. I think the frustration of this fanbase is leading to a lot of hottakes on an elite player that any team would love to have, playing in only his second post season.

those expecting Willander and Lekkerimaki to "DRAG THE TEAM TO VICTORY" in a visceral way some day should temper their expectations early.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Yep, no fanbase hates the best players in their history as much as this one.

This is pure speculation since all those elite C have an elite winger to start with. We would need to give them 2 borderline AHL linemates for a year to truly see how they do. Hoglander went from the AHL last year, to 24 goals this year on Pettersson's wing, and that is with Mikeyhev or Lafferty as the third guy.

Never in the history of the game has an elite center looked like terrible because he had poor wingers. In fact, no elite players look poor because their linemates. If they did, they wouldn't deserve the label of being an elite player.

Quinn Hughes has made every partner he's played with look like a top pair defenseman. Certainly, it is inconceivable he would ever be a non-factor on the ice, no matter who he plays with.

Reactions: B-rock and Nomobo

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Never in the history of the game has an elite center looked like terrible because he had poor wingers. In fact, no elite players look poor because their linemates. If they did, they wouldn't deserve the label of being an elite player.

Quinn Hughes has made every partner he's played with look like a top pair defenseman. Certainly, it is inconceivable he would ever be a non-factor on the ice, no matter who he plays with.
you are confusing elite with generational talents

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Do you enjoy watching him face plant?
Do you enjoy watching him rag dolled by players?
Do you enjoy the lack of urgency he shows?
Do you enjoy the sulking?
Do you enjoy him never willing us to victory?

He can do a lot or change a lot of those things without wingers. You're hyper focused on his point production. I am focused on his ability to lead the team to win in areas outside of the score sheet.
At 11.6M he has to be the complete package. Sometimes the game requires more than just a skill set with the puck.

With all that being said I am aware thats the type of player I like on a team I cheer for which is why I like Brady T, Miller, Mack, Bergeron etc.
I see you dodged the question and are deflecting the argument at hand, because you know you're wrong.

I'll happily accept your L and move on.

you are confusing elite with generational talents
This guy also thinks Juulsen and Schenn looked like "top pair defensemen" playing with Quinn.

Some of these takes are just laughable.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I love JT Miller and always have.

Pettersson...I really liked him when he came here. But him playing better after his 2021 slump and then implying he'll leave if the team doesn't become competitive...and then totally playing like ass lately is not exactly endearing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hoglander has 19 goals without Pettersson getting points on it and didn't play much with him until around the all star break. You can make a solid argument that Hoglander scored better without Pettersson.

Pittsburgh won a cup with Crosby between Dupuis and Talbot.

5 goals in his last 26 games with PP1 is not good

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
epmar.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad