Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What's funny is so many people insisted Duclair sucked yet he finished with 15 points (8g-7a) in just 17 games with Tampa. For reference sake, Pettersson had only 12 points in that same stretch. Not adding anything at the deadline may prove disastrous. And I don't care to hear about the cap. Other teams managed to figure out ways around it. Allvin better learn how to.
Not me. I was one of the few very directly advocating to trade for Duclair. I said at the time, I thought he could bring some speed and dynamic ability on the rush that the team is lacking.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What's funny is so many people insisted Duclair sucked yet he finished with 15 points (8g-7a) in just 17 games with Tampa. For reference sake, Pettersson had only 12 points in that same stretch. Not adding anything at the deadline may prove disastrous. And I don't care to hear about the cap. Other teams managed to figure out ways around it. Allvin better learn how to.

Oh, if Pettersson thought the media and fanbase were distracting before. he'll be in for a very rude awakening if he blanks our first playoff run after making such a stink about "wanting to play for a winning team."
Vancouver fans will do what they always do. Turn on their best players.

Bure, Näslund, Sedins, Luongo...

Cant wait for Hughes to struggle for a month and read the cool takes here.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Miller is one of the most likeable players in franchise history.

It’s not a tantrum. No argument that he’s the closest thing to Datsyuk. He’s a fantastic talent.

But his body language sucks and has mostly sucked for 4 years now. It isn’t one game or one month.

He quit on the team for the entirety of 2021.

He displays zero passion or personality in interviews.

He was pretty clearly hedging on forcing his way out of Vancouver before the team got better.

He’s one of the bigger divers/embellishers in the league.

He’s hugely important. It wouldn’t surprise me if he won a Hart for this team. But he’s a sulky primadonna and it also wouldn’t surprise me if he pouted his way to 60 points next year.

I love him when he’s playing great for what he can do for the team. But I just don’t *like* the guy very much, at all.

Same vibes as late-career Naslund where you wonder if this guy even likes playing hockey.
I dont think its really fair to bag on a guy because he's an obvious introvert , or he comes off badly in interviews...Sounds like you're on a bit of a campaign here.

I also thinks its inaccurate to say that he's a diver, or embellisher..I've seen him get mad at the officials for making a bad call, when its a powerplay for the opposition..Embellishers don't do that..Admittedly, there are some poor calls made on Pettersson because he often loses his balance, but that's not intentional on the players part.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So, youre wanting to spend more money to help our highest paid player be better? Thats certainly a take.
Screenshot_20240424_201040_Brave.jpg
Screenshot_20240424_201121_Brave.jpg
Screenshot_20240424_201233_Brave.jpg
Screenshot_20240424_201306_Brave.jpg

One of these is not like the other.

I am assuming your take comes from ignorance instead of malice.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
This seems like an uncharacteristically tantrum based post.

He had a bad game, and has struggled lately. Don't see how that makes him an unlikeable player/person.

He's basically the closest player in the league to Datsyuk when he's not slumping. He's honestly my favorite player, even when he's going through a moment of being human and struggling like we all do.

It's not his game that's unlikable, it's his general behaviour. Just kinda weird behaviour like wearing ear buds during the red carpet at the All Star game.

He really gives me vibes that he's kinda on the spectrum and I guess in that respect it's not fair to call him unlikable. Maybe it's more like he's not very personable?

But I think the problem is that too much focus is on him turning the puck over right now. He has the skill to make plays nobody else does, and the Canucks need him to not be afraid to make mistakes.

It kinda of reminds me of Gaborik on the Wild back in the day. The whole team played a very tight game and was very low scoring - except Gaborik, who had free reign to do whatever he wanted, and was very effective in that role. Quinn Hughes kind of plays that way on the back end, but his overall skill level means that it actually helps the Canucks because he's so effective at moving the puck.

Reactions: Jay26

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I’m willing to give him the whole series before passing any judgment. He’s also not currently being paid $11.6 mill so this argument isn’t great, judge his contract based on his play next season - when he’s actually being paid this amount.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
It's funny how often the media suggest maybe Petterson is fighting some kind of ailment. If he is hurt that often he sure isn't that durable.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Maybe on some of those teams its the elite C that is making the winger better?
Yes. Absolutely. But the relationship goes both ways. The high-end winger helps get even more out of the center, and in turn you get better production out of the winger.

Barkov - Reinhart
Matthews - Marner (until very recently)
McDavid - Hyman
Mackinnon - Rantanen
Crosby - Guentzel (until the TDL obviously, and then he still has Bryan Rust who is pretty good)

Petey...uh, Hoglander? Mikheyev? Something is not like the other here.

So will you admit you're misinformed and wrong on this topic?

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Yes. Absolutely. But the relationship goes both ways. The high-end winger helps get even more out of the center, and in turn you get better production out of the winger.

Barkov - Reinhart
Matthews - Marner (until very recently)
McDavid - Hyman
Mackinnon - Rantanen
Crosby - Guentzel (until the TDL obviously, and then he still has Bryan Rust who is pretty good)

Petey...uh, Hoglander? Mikheyev? Something is not like the other here.

So will you admit you're misinformed and wrong on this topic?
After last nights performance I am even more sure of my position on this topic, Boss Dawg

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Personally, I don't dislike Petey. In fact, I like him. I get what @MS is saying, and as someone else mentioned, being "likable" is pretty subjective.

Personally, I don't really care about his body language, or his frustration, or that he doesn't suffer the foolish media we have. We don't know anything about his real personality, and we aren't entitled to either. So I'm all good with that.

But he's playing bad and he needs to stop playing bad at some point. Unfortunately, this is his second long stretch of bad play in the last few seasons which is concerning.

With that said, he absolutely hasn't been put in a position to succeed at even strength and who knows if we would even be having this debate if he had better wingers. However, he's playing with out best players on the PP and he's still playing bad....

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Yeah, that elite winger with Petey really was let down, wasn't he?
Do you enjoy watching him face plant?
Do you enjoy watching him rag dolled by players?
Do you enjoy the lack of urgency he shows?
Do you enjoy the sulking?
Do you enjoy him never willing us to victory?

He can do a lot or change a lot of those things without wingers. You're hyper focused on his point production. I am focused on his ability to lead the team to win in areas outside of the score sheet.
At 11.6M he has to be the complete package. Sometimes the game requires more than just a skill set with the puck.

With all that being said I am aware thats the type of player I like on a team I cheer for which is why I like Brady T, Miller, Mack, Bergeron etc.

Reactions: Jay26

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
People who take edgy opinions on star players that are completely lopsided with no nuance or grace given are generally just attention whores that have no real interest in discussing the player in a meaningful way given that they have already refused to change their opinion.
Says the guys whos user name is mocking the teams owner. Theirs no edgy opinion.

Youre happy with his play over the last 12 weeks?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad