Proposal: Pettersson for McTavish + Mintyukov (off-Season trade)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't think Pettersson fits Anaheims timeline at all so i do think they make for a bad trading partner in the first place. I do however still see both McTavish & Carlsson as magic beans. If you want to roll the die here that's up to you but i still do feel like the odds of squandering Miller and Lindholm is to high for you guys.
I think if vancouver moved Pettersson, it would be closer to something like the Tkachuk move.

Where if im anaheim id want to do something like the Eichel deal

id love to add Pettersson, but i dont think we could justify trading what it would cost.

Reactions: Hierso

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This seems reasonable value-wise, but if Pettersson doesn’t want to sign long-term in Vancouver after this season, why would he want to sign in Anaheim, who haven’t improved in five years?

Additionally, it would seem crazy for Anaheim to have spent those five years of awfulness only to turn around and trade two years of it for a guy who has all the leverage in contract negotiations?

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I think if vancouver moved Pettersson, it would be closer to something like the Tkachuk move.

Where if im anaheim id want to do something like the Eichel deal

id love to add Pettersson, but i dont think we could justify trading what it would cost.

I agree with the bolded 100%. If Vancouver trades Pettersson during the summer they are gonna need player that contribute right of the bat and not down the line in 1-3 years. Looking at Vancouvers scoring this scream hockey trade if a trade were to go down.

uuxy.png

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree with the bolded 100%. If Vancouver trades Pettersson during the summer they are gonna need player that contribute right of the bat and not down the line in 1-3 years. Looking at Vancouvers scoring this scream hockey trade if a trade were to go down.

View attachment 821326

Im not familiar with the situation, but why would they consider trading Pettersson anyway?

Or is he the 1 that wants out?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
How about any combination of McTavish OR Carlsson + Zellweger OR Gauthier?
I feel like that's a massive value difference. Carlsson is much higher value than Mac, Gauthier much higher than Zellweger. Ducks would easily move Zellweger and McTavish but not a chance Vancouver would unless EP demanded a trade to So Cal.

The problem with the proposal is I think Minty is probably the second most untouchable piece behind Carlsson because he's the only chance at a #1 D in the system. Ducks fans are hoping for a top pair RD in the draft to compliment him. Value wise, it's probably fine, but Ducks will probably look at more quantity for quality trades (where they trade a 3 or 4 piece package for something they need).

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Im not familiar with the situation, but why would they consider trading Pettersson anyway?

All i know about that is that Pettersson said he wanted to win a cup. I don't know anything beyond that.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The value is fine, but the Ducks should stay the course. McTavish will likely become the Ducks captain, and Minty should become a top pairing d-man. It just doesn’t make sense for the Ducks.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
If Vancouver can't keep Petterson, things be looking bleak for the Canadian market post Tavares tax court battle..

Feb 19, 2018

View attachment 821326
Vancouver has a Cap problem and the Tkachuk route doesn’t seem plausible. OEL buyout gets expensive in the coming years and Anaheim still want to put butts in seats. Anaheim also has the Zegras card to replace defensive help or another route as he’s reported on the block. While retaining the 1st round pick this deal could make sense with balancing out the roster and adding a legit Superstar forward.

Feb 19, 2018
This seems reasonable value-wise, but if Pettersson doesn’t want to sign long-term in Vancouver after this season, why would he want to sign in Anaheim, who haven’t improved in five years?

Additionally, it would seem crazy for Anaheim to have spent those five years of awfulness only to turn around and trade two years of it for a guy who has all the leverage in contract negotiations?
Pettersson seems like a guy who would love to play in California and Anaheim has the Cap space to afford him. He’s the type of guy who has confidence in his game to take a team to another level especially after his last season and this one.

There was a rumour he was going to Chicago and wanted to play there so I see no reason if it were true that Anaheim has a better future as of now.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Pettersson is not going to a rebuilding team.
If he goes anywhere, it would resemble an Eichel trade.

Teams like Boston, Dallas, and the Rangers. Those are the teams that I can see Pettersson being traded to. Teams that have a lot of talent on the wing but not a whole lot of talent down the middle. Much like Vegas was before Jack Eichel, no rebuilding team will trade for Pettersson because it doesn't fit their window. If you are rebuilding, you won't be good for another 2-3 years. Meaning you are wasting Pettersson's prime on a shit team.

Besides, Pettersson probably doesn't want to resign on a rebuilding team.

Feb 19, 2018
Pettersson is not going to a rebuilding team.
If he goes anywhere, it would resemble an Eichel trade.

Teams like Boston, Dallas, and the Rangers. Those are the teams that I can see Pettersson being traded to. Teams that have a lot of talent on the wing but not a whole lot of talent down the middle. Much like Vegas was before Jack Eichel, no rebuilding team will trade for Pettersson because it doesn't fit their window. If you are rebuilding, you won't be good for another 2-3 years. Meaning you are wasting Pettersson's prime on a shit team.

Besides, Pettersson probably doesn't want to resign on a rebuilding team.
Teams like that don’t have the assets necessarily or the Cap space to make a move like this happen. Pettersson is into fashion and lifestyle just as much as Hockey and enjoys things like privacy etc. it’s the same reason Bure wanted out of the fishbowl and ended up in Florida.

Lifestyle plays a huge roll in player decisions and Anaheim has that to offer. I think if it was a sign and trade option he wouldn’t blink twice if the numbers were there.

Feb 19, 2018

Nobody knows right now as everything is being put off until the off-season. I do know that Pettersson and Carlsson could form one of the best 1-2 punch’s in the league going forward and has the potential to attract other free agents going there.

McTavish is a Canadian stud in a Canadian market and Vancouver has shown a recent interest in Russian players. Sergei Gonchar on the coaching staff would work wonders for Minty and allow Vancouver to retain Zadorov as a mentor. McTavish also seems like a Rick Tocchet type of player who he can relate to from his playing career.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Nobody knows right now as everything is being put off until the off-season. I do know that Pettersson and Carlsson could form one of the best 1-2 punch’s in the league going forward and has the potential to attract other free agents going there.

McTavish is a Canadian stud in a Canadian market and Vancouver has shown a recent interest in Russian players. Sergei Gonchar on the coaching staff would work wonders for Minty and allow Vancouver to retain Zadorov as a mentor. McTavish also seems like a Rick Tocchet type of player who he can relate to from his playing career.
Ya the big issue is i think Mintyukov is our only shot at a top pairing dmen right now, and id consider him close to untouchable(like Carlsson).

Mintyukov is going to be a stud (if he isnt already), and i think hes going to be a pillar on our defense for the foreseeable future, we already traded drysdale, just dont see us moving minty too.

In a perfect world (and we dont win celebrini), we get Levshunov... and can run with Mintyukov and Levshunov as our pillars on defense for the next 10+ years.

If I had Mintyukov I’d be keeping him. Ducks should just continue what they’re doing. It’ll pay off one day.
agreed, mintyukov is going to be a really good dmen for a long time.

Feb 19, 2018
Ya the big issue is i think Mintyukov is our only shot at a top pairing dmen right now, and id consider him close to untouchable(like Carlsson).

Mintyukov is going to be a stud (if he isnt already), and i think hes going to be a pillar on our defense for the foreseeable future, we already traded drysdale, just dont see us moving minty too.

In a perfect world (and we dont win celebrini), we get Levshunov... and can run with Mintyukov and Levshunov as our pillars on defense for the next 10+ years.
The 1st round pick you end up keeping allows a Minty replacement as I know Vancouver would want players further along in development than picks to remain competitive. With Zegras if you can land a Reinbacher or someone of that pedigree you have the option of coming out ahead of the game. Anaheim has one of the deepest blueline prospect pools in the league.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The 1st round pick you end up keeping allows a Minty replacement as I know Vancouver would want players further along in development than picks to remain competitive. With Zegras if you can land a Reinbacher or someone of that pedigree you have the option of coming out ahead of the game. Anaheim has one of the deepest blueline prospect pools in the league.
It’s deep but Mintyukov is prob the only #1 upside guy there.

If we get Pettersson I’m not sure we want to wait on a prospect from this year to develop into a top pair guy(he’d be basically 2-3 years behind mintyukovs development).

it’s a tough move/sell for us imo. I think Mintyukov is going to be a pretty special player

Feb 19, 2018
It’s deep but Mintyukov is prob the only #1 upside guy there.

If we get Pettersson I’m not sure we want to wait on a prospect from this year to develop into a top pair guy(he’d be basically 2-3 years behind mintyukovs development).

it’s a tough move/sell for us imo. I think Mintyukov is going to be a pretty special player
I don’t disagree but you are getting the proven best player in the deal and they usually come out on top in the trade. With Pettersson the only reason Vancouver considers this is due to Cap space and the unknown of the future of the player.

This would be a sign and trade scenario as again it’s hypothetical trade and getting a top 5 young Center in the game who has flash and game breaking ability don’t come around very often.

Leo Carlsson would have another mentor and I left him out of the proposal due to those reasons. Having them both going forward would guarantee success instead of some magic beans, Vancouver takes most of the risk here as it’s more of a Cap move rather than a fleece.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Teams like that don’t have the assets necessarily or the Cap space to make a move like this happen. Pettersson is into fashion and lifestyle just as much as Hockey and enjoys things like privacy etc. it’s the same reason Bure wanted out of the fishbowl and ended up in Florida.

Lifestyle plays a huge roll in player decisions and Anaheim has that to offer. I think if it was a sign and trade option he wouldn’t blink twice if the numbers were there.

I don't care about the life style aspect of it.

All i care about is the return and it doesn't make sense for either teams to do it. Anaheim isn't one Pettersson away from being good and Vancouver can't trade a back-to-back 100p player for magic beans. If they trade him they will need at least one player that can step in the next season and be ~0.8ppg. I do have faith in both McTavis and Minty but we're talking a couple of years down the line before they'll reach close to Pettersson.

Can Vancouver wait those years? I don't think they can (if they trade Pettersson).

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Wasn't Petterson's issue he wanted to be on a competitve team?

So he's going to be happy leaving the top team in the NHL currently for a team in the middle of a rebuild?

Reactions: Play
Feb 19, 2018
Wasn't Petterson's issue he wanted to be on a competitve team?

So he's going to be happy leaving the top team in the NHL currently for a team in the middle of a rebuild?
Anaheim has a bright future and there was a rumour that he wanted to join Chicago earlier in the year. Any team that can afford him needs to also have Cap space in order to do so.

Pettersson is in no position wanting to get paid and join a “contender” without them gutting their team in a trade.

I personally think he wants privacy in his life and get paid while doing it. Lifestyle has a huge part in him wanting to resign and he enjoys the Ferrari to the rink mindset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad