Proposal: Pettersson for McTavish + Mintyukov (off-Season trade)

Feb 19, 2018
With Pettersson becoming a RFA and still relatively young what are everyone’s thoughts on a trade to an Anaheim roster looking to make the next step?

Pettersson and Carlsson could form one of the best 1-2 combos in the league down the middle or play together and dominate for years to come. I’m sure Pettersson wouldn’t mind playing in California with the weather and a team on the rise and would sign there long term.

Vancouver would move on from a player and look to align with a younger core while still remaining competitive and add a couple future pieces with some short term Cap flexibility in order to resign Lindholm and Hronek along with their other UFA’s.

I feel if Pettersson wants out and also wants to get paid he would be an excellent fit in Anaheim and Vancouver would be smart to add pieces where they could have some Cap flexibility and remain competitive during the OEL buyout years.

Either team could add but I’m curious as to what the consensus is on a deal with just these 3 pieces involved in a draft day blockbuster.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries
Feb 19, 2018
Why would Vancouver do that? I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just wondering why would they want to trade Pettersson
Pettersson is a RFA and apparently has had a blank check thrown his way. It’s believed he doesn’t want a deal in Vancouver more than 3 years and even though it’s all just “speculation” it’s still a hypothetical scenario.

Reactions: BerthMania
Feb 19, 2018
2 - Not saying they 100% will but if both players hit their ceiling I think the duo ends up being more valuable than Pettersson anyways.
Sometimes getting the sure thing is better than the what if. I’m not disagreeing with you but Pettersson and Carlsson would be a huge marketing tool for Anaheim and I could see Pettersson being happy to go there.

Vancouver trading Pettersen?

Really?
As much as it seems crazy there is a scenario where this happens and it’s not by choice. Vancouver would obviously want to keep him long term under a decent number all day long.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Pettersson said he wanted to play out the season before looking at re-signing and he's doing that but some people think that means he doesn't want to sign, doesn't want to sign long term, or that he's a primadonna and needs to be traded asap.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Trading Pettersson seemed like a significant possibility last offseason, after the crap season the Nucks had, and Petey being vocal about wanting to be on a winner. But the Nucks have been so, so good this year, have to think chances are very strong that the two sides agree on a multi-year contract.

Meanwhile, the Ducks are stacked with young forward talent (Carlsson, McTavish, Zegras, Terry and Gauthier), but would be a bit thin on D talent if they traded Minty. Plus they’re still a few years from competing, they’d be wasting a few years of Petey’s prime, the timeline works better with McTavish and Minty.

In short, just doesn’t really make sense for either team IMO.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Sometimes getting the sure thing is better than the what if. I’m not disagreeing with you but Pettersson and Carlsson would be a huge marketing tool for Anaheim and I could see Pettersson being happy to go there.

As much as it seems crazy there is a scenario where this happens and it’s not by choice. Vancouver would obviously want to keep him long term under a decent number all day long.
ok but what about actually winning games and having a good defensive core?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rec T

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

No logical reason for any of the 3 key parties to do this.

1) Petey, went through 3 straight really bad seasons with Vancouver where they were out of the PO race 1/4 into the season. Now, he's finally on a team that is actually winning. To go from that to Anaheim which last season was the worst team and this year tracking to the 3rd worst, plus 2nd worst 4 seasons ago as well? Unless he wants to be in a less hockey centric city to be able to go about his life or the weather, this seems like a massive step back as he will be waiting for the kids in the organization to get better.

2) Ana - Still have too many kids that need to develop to add someone in their prime right now. I see the marketing side and business side of it, plus like you said, sure thing. Hockey wise, will Anaheim make the most of it?

3) Van - those kids can be good players, but I'd take the Quality of Petey over quantity. Again, with getting out of the Benning led period they finally turned the corner. Might not be a wide open windown given the moves Benning made that ate up some draft capital in prior seasons, but it's still a window to compete.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
It’s on the presumption that he doesn’t want to sign here long-term like Matthew Tkachuk.

I understand that but it feels like it doesn't fit your timeline at all. If you trade Pettersson then you have Miller and maybe Lindholm and both of them are probably at their peak in terms of age and performance.

A hockey trade instead of futures would probably be a better option here.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
While they value is prob alright or at least close .. i dont see why Anaheim would do this.

We've commited to the rebuild and Mintyukov and McTavish seem to be cornerstones for us... i just think its a step in the wrong direction.

Guys like Gauthier Zegras McTavish Carlsson Mintyukov Terry Zellweger and Luneau are pieces we should be building around not trading. We just got to let these young guys grow and see what we got before we consider moving any of them.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I understand that but it feels like it doesn't fit your timeline at all. If you trade Pettersson then you have Miller and maybe Lindholm and both of them are probably at their peak in terms of age and performance.

A hockey trade instead of futures would probably be a better option here.
McTavish/Carlsson will be producing well within the next year or two and Minty is already an NHLer. It would also free up cap to spend on other free agents to upgrade the roster.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
McTavish/Carlsson will be producing well within the next year or two and Minty is already an NHLer. It would also free up cap to spend on other free agents to upgrade the roster.
I dont see Anaheim parting with 2 of their big fish for 1 player. Thats arguably our top forward, and our top dmen.

Maybe we would upgrade McTavish or zegras with Pettersson, and add other pieces... but it def wouldnt be mintyukov. Also were pretty high in the draft rankings... and theres a chance we just get Celebrini, and no real reason to make this kinda move... at that point were just looking for compliment pieces, not stars.

Feb 19, 2018
I also feel Vancouver is in the best possible position to replace Pettersson with the acquisition of Lindholm. They have never had insurance like this previously other than Horvat who they used to get Hronek and fix the top pair RHD position.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
If Pettersson does end up wanting out, then it's a solid proposal. Not sure why Anaheim would do this though. They aren't exactly at a point where going all in to upgrade at center makes a lot of sense.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018

I don't think Pettersson fits Anaheims timeline at all so i do think they make for a bad trading partner in the first place. I do however still see both McTavish & Carlsson as magic beans. If you want to roll the die here that's up to you but i still do feel like the odds of squandering Miller and Lindholm is too high for you guys.

Feb 19, 2018
Pettersson is on record saying his favourite road city is LA. Anaheim also keeps their 1st this year and replaces McTavish or Minty through the draft.

I think it’s a win win scenario for both teams.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I don’t like it for Anaheim. I mean the values about rightish. Flame away

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad