Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
i think the comparison for smith was Thomas Budnick (2nd, 2 3rds) which i think it was somewhat reasonable. Mayer should go at the very least the same as Schmidt
Smith should get a 2nd and third and maybe a conditional pick if he returns as a OA. Budnick is a lock to return as a OA if he wants but Smith I could see jumping pro to at least the echl. Thats the only difference in value I see

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
McCoy hasn’t looked all that great the last 10 games. I don’t think that will overly affect his value but it may make a team or two think twice about ponying up the assets.
I don’t think they’ll deal him anyways. You can’t trade all of Mayer, Smith and McCoy.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t think they’ll deal him anyways. You can’t trade all of Mayer, Smith and McCoy.

Yup. Agreed. I think he stays as an OA on the rebuild. Good kid. Seems like the perfect kid to be the Captain in that situation.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
i think the comparison for smith was Thomas Budnick (2nd, 2 3rds) which i think it was somewhat reasonable. Mayer should go at the very least the same as Schmidt

Mayer is an all-purpose D that has never missed a scheduled OHL game. Even as an OA he is a prize imo.

Schmidt is quite simply a better hockey player than Smith, Smyth, or Smith; and, Schmidt is a potentially difficult to find right shot.
To me comparing the Smiths’ value to that of Budnick might be a bit like trying to compare the value of the big left shot OA forward to that of J.Beck. It’s possible K.Smith goes for a 2nd & 3rd, it just seems outrageous to me.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I feel there’s some interesting trades coming up at trade deadline. Ones that none of us see coming! And none that have been discussed on here!
i absolutely agree. with so much parity in the league this year it’s going to be a very interesting deadline and i think it’s safe to say there will be some head scratchers, surprises and much more

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
Any predictions on what that could look like?
I feel there’s some players that teams consider as “depth players” that they are saving in their back pockets but will have to move them. These trades may help teams make or break at trade deadline.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I feel there’s some players that teams consider as “depth players” that they are saving in their back pockets but will have to move them. These trades may help teams make or break at trade deadline.

100%. I was talking about that today. I think there will be less of a focus on Elite Star players and more on middling players and full on depth players. A kid like Lefebvre would look awesome in a 67’s jersey. Probably a 4th liner that drills up into the upper lines during injury etc. I think a lot of teams that are sort of in it will nibble a bit at the fringes. Teams like the Petes that may just say screw it and fold the tent would make out like bandits if they made more guys available. Guys that haven’t really been discussed should be.

A kid like Dubois will likely be more valuable than first thought Or at least much more valued than he was when he finished last year. Ottawa should be hopping on Dubois and Melee. Two Ottawa area boys. I know the old, “We can’t trade Melee because next year….” blah blah blah. Next year will suck hard in Peterborough whether some of these guys are here or not. Cash in when you can.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
100%. I was talking about that today. I think there will be less of a focus on Elite Star players and more on middling players and full on depth players. A kid like Lefebvre would look awesome in a 67’s jersey. Probably a 4th liner that drills up into the upper lines during injury etc. I think a lot of teams that are sort of in it will nibble a bit at the fringes. Teams like the Petes that may just say screw it and fold the tent would make out like bandits if they made more guys available. Guys that haven’t really been discussed should be.

A kid like Dubois will likely be more valuable than first thought Or at least much more valued than he was when he finished last year. Ottawa should be hopping on Dubois and Melee. Two Ottawa area boys. I know the old, “We can’t trade Melee because next year….” blah blah blah. Next year will suck hard in Peterborough whether some of these guys are here or not. Cash in when you can.
What do you think Ottawa would trade to Peterborough for them?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
What do you think Ottawa would trade to Peterborough for them?

Who knows? The challenge that faces the Petes is if they start looking at moving out 5-6 bodies, they have to get 5-6 back in return.

I think in a deal like that, the Petes would need something like Kelly and/or Brady as bodies. Then it is a matter of figuring out the picks that come with them. Boyd was very insistent of not trading bodies last year but there hasn’t been any comments of that regard this year.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The only way I could see Donovan McCoy traded was if they could get a return of a second year or contributing rookie 17 year old defenceman and a draft pick/s (including a 2nd). I could see a situation like this. The Petes trade Owen Beck for a 16 or 17 year old player plus two 2nds and a 3rd. They trade Sam Mayer and a 5th for an overage defenceman and a 2nd and a 3rd, Konnor Smith for a 2nd and a 3rd, Jonathan Melee for a 17 or 18 year old forward and a 3rd and McCoy for a 17 year old defenceman and a 2nd and maybe a 4th. With the draft picks they got in those deals they would have acquired five, 2nds, four, 3rds and maybe a 4th. They could take one of the 2nds and couple of the 3rds and trade for another 17 year old defenceman.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
With no Beck, Purdeller, and McCallum, today is a good day for Brody Partridge, Joseph Cadorin, Quinton Pagé or Brennan Faulkner to step up. I have really enjoyed watching Brody Partridge play lately and I think he is quietly getting more comfortable and confident with the OHL. Yes only 1 goal in 28 games, but hopefully he can put together a strong second half in the 2C/3C role

Reactions: Bra Wavers

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
With no Beck, Purdeller, and McCallum, today is a good day for Brody Partridge, Joseph Cadorin, Quinton Pagé or Brennan Faulkner to step up. I have really enjoyed watching Brody Partridge play lately and I think he is quietly getting more comfortable and confident with the OHL. Yes only 1 goal in 28 games, but hopefully he can put together a strong second half in the 2C/3C role
McCallum has been given everything this year. He has played with top guys all year. Part of me thinks this is because the Petes are setting him up as trade bait. Perhaps to up his value as a package deal to Sudbury where his brother plays. Think of this. Mayer and McCallum to Sudbury for a player and the picks they desperately need next year. McCallum has been playing on a line recently that McCue saw so much success earlier in the season. I believe if Page was given the same opportunity we’d be talking about him the same way. I hope for the Petes sake the players who haven’t been given the opportunity to play with top guys on a consistent basis will be able to perform well without the help of over agers etc like some have been given. I also wonder how many players who haven’t been given opportunities are asking for trades this year. McCallum has taken a lot of stupid penalties consistently all year almost every game. And he’s now suspended from a dirty hit in Guelph and then fighting Guelphs youngest player. Wilson has never given opportunities to players getting penalties like this in the past. He even had Stillman on 3rd line because of his lack of discipline. That’s why I feel McCallum is trade bait. I agree with you Partridge is looking more comfortable and I hope with more ice time Faulkner can do what he did in jr.B level. The Petes will be the underdogs every game this year. I hope they are up for the challenge.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
McCallum has been given everything this year. He has played with top guys all year. Part of me thinks this is because the Petes are setting him up as trade bait. Perhaps to up his value as a package deal to Sudbury where his brother plays. Think of this. Mayer and McCallum to Sudbury for a player and the picks they desperately need next year. McCallum has been playing on a line recently that McCue saw so much success earlier in the season. I believe if Page was given the same opportunity we’d be talking about him the same way. I hope for the Petes sake the players who haven’t been given the opportunity to play with top guys on a consistent basis will be able to perform well without the help of over agers etc like some have been given. I also wonder how many players who haven’t been given opportunities are asking for trades this year. McCallum has taken a lot of stupid penalties consistently all year almost every game. And he’s now suspended from a dirty hit in Guelph and then fighting Guelphs youngest player. Wilson has never given opportunities to players getting penalties like this in the past. He even had Stillman on 3rd line because of his lack of discipline. That’s why I feel McCallum is trade bait. I agree with you Partridge is looking more comfortable and I hope with more ice time Faulkner can do what he did in jr.B level. The Petes will be the underdogs every game this year. I hope they are up for the challenge.
No chance. I’d be shocked if they moved McCallum.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
No chance. I’d be shocked if they moved McCallum.
We are in the last year of one McCallum we don't want another penalty machine on our team. Can't come soon enough for the this year to end so no McCallum will ever wear Wolves jersey again. Wolves will never trade for his brother.

WJ

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Dressing 2 defenceman as forwards is less then ideal. Oshawa should win big today. Petes need more forward depth in any trades they make

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Yeah I see no way that McCallum is dealt. he’s an ‘06 and is a big part of this teams uncertain future. giving McCallum top 6 minutes with players like Melee and Dubois is only helping his development from an offensive side of things. he has looked much more confident as of late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad