Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Kingston should win. Depleted forward group for the petes missing 2 of their top scorers no way Kingston should lose this game
I’m hoping you’re right 😂 but wouldn’t be surprised if you’re wrong. Just been one hell of a year here for kingston. Up and down like a toilet seat

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Which OA will Sudbury deal if they do upgrade at OA?
I am not sure if the Petes will take an overage in a deal for Sam Mayer. I do not believe they would not want to lessen the return of a younger player that will return next year or take less draft picks to acquire a high end overage unless the overage is a throw in without the return for the future being less. There are less expensive options potentially available including some with ties to Peterborough and the Petes.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Taking an OA back is what typically happens this time of year. When pretty much every team has 3 serviceable OAs, it's tough to move an OA if you refuse to take one back. You would be excluding 90% of your potential trade partners by doing so, and reducing the potential return by artificially eliminating any competition.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I am not sure if the Petes will take an overage in a deal for Sam Mayer. I do not believe they would want to lessen the return of a younger player that will return next year or take less draft picks unless the overage is a throw without the return for the future being less. There are less expensive options potentially available including a couple with ties to Peterborough and the Petes.
Sudbury can't accept Mayer in a trade without including an OA in the trade to the Petes or releasing an OA.......McCallum seems like the obvious choice given that his brother plays for the Petes. I'm assuming you are looking at Sam McCue's brother in London who is another OA that may be available. IMO, it will all come down to which teams are targeting Petes' players in trades and what they are offering.

Sudbury and the Soo seem like the most obvious trade partners for the Petes, but there may be some other teams who jump into the mix given the fact that there are 2 OHL entries this year and the East (where the winner could get an automatic entry to the Mem Cup) has 4 points separating the top 6 teams.

It should be an interesting TDL :popcorn:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
If its Mayer they're after, Toure will be the one traded
What do you think a deal like that would look like? What would the Petes get in regards to draft picks? I would have to question a trade that is an overager for an overager with Peterborough only receiving a 3 or 4th plus an overager for Sam Mayer. A 2nd would be okay.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Sudbury can't accept Mayer in a trade without including an OA in the trade to the Petes or releasing an OA.......McCallum seems like the obvious choice given that his brother plays for the Petes. I'm assuming you are looking at Sam McCue's brother in London who is another OA that may be available. IMO, it will all come down to which teams are targeting Petes' players in trades and what they are offering.

Sudbury and the Soo seem like the most obvious trade partners for the Petes, but there may be some other teams who jump into the mix given the fact that there are 2 OHL entries this year and the East (where the winner could get an automatic entry to the Mem Cup) has 4 points separating the top 6 teams.

It should be an interesting TDL :popcorn:

There really isn’t a good team in the Eastern Conference. If we don’t get at least one team in the Eastern Conference loading up, the Eastern side of the playoffs will be a pillow fight!

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
What do you think a deal like that would look like? What would the Petes get in regards to draft picks? I would have to question a trade that is an overager for an overager with Peterborough only receiving a 3 or 4th plus an overager for Sam Mayer. A 2nd would be okay.
Schmidt went for more than that in the recent KGN and KIT trade and I’d argue Mayer is the superior player plus has OHL championship experience. I’d expect a similar return. (2nd + 3rd)

Reactions: Section5Petes

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Safe to say that Jax Dubois is one of, if not my favourite Petes this season. His stock is no doubt rising around the league as well. either way Dubois has been a treat to watch lead this team

Reactions: Bra Wavers

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Stuszka coming back down to earth lately. Clearly won’t be back next year time to ride Bowen and maybe even give Rye some starts to see what he can do

Reactions: Section5Petes

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Schmidt went for more than that in the recent KGN and KIT trade and I’d argue Mayer is the superior player plus has OHL championship experience. I’d expect a similar return. (2nd + 3rd)
Kingston wasn't very smart.

WJ

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Kingston wasn't very smart.

WJ
What they did with their two trades was set the price for a top four overage defenceman at a 2nd and 3rd. Sam Mayer may be worth a bit more. They also set the price of a 2nd, and two, 3rds for a defensive physical 19 year old defenceman. I suspect a 2nd and a 3rd for Konnor Smith may be more realistic as he likely is not going to return as an overage. I am still thinking the Petes may go for a player in one of the deals. The deals that that they made are similar to previous years got similar type defencemen.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Safe to say that Jax Dubois is one of, if not my favourite Petes this season. His stock is no doubt rising around the league as well. either way Dubois has been a treat to watch lead this team

Dubois was the one guy I secretly pegged as potentially being impactful for the Petes this season BUT, I didn’t expect him as high as a point per game. I thought his impact would come more from a dominant 3rd line two-way sort of role Finishing around 45 points. His offensive production has been a very nice surprise.

McCoy has slowed down quite a bit over the last 10 games so he is settling in where I figured he’d be but the first 20 games he really opened eyes. Can he find that same gear in the second half?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What they did with their two trades was set the price for a top four overage defenceman at a 2nd and 3rd. Sam Mayer may be worth a bit more. They also set the price of a 2nd, and two, 3rds for a defensive physical 19 year old defenceman. I suspect a 2nd and a 3rd for Konnor Smith may be more realistic as he likely is not going to return as an overage. I am still thinking the Petes may go for a player in one of the deals. The deals that that they made are similar to previous years got similar type defencemen.

It’s entirely possible K.Smith returns 2 & 3 picks, but that seems outrageous to me.

Schmidt on the other hand, handles the puck much better than Smith and is a bit unique among RD. What is available at that position; McCoy would come a huge price, Christopolous is not likely available, Sobelev takes up import and OA spots.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
It’s entirely possible K.Smith returns 2 & 3 picks, but that seems outrageous to me.

Schmidt on the other hand, handles the puck much better than Smith and is a bit unique among RD. What is available at that position; McCoy would come a huge price, Christopolous is not likely available, Sobelev takes up import and OA spots.
i think the comparison for smith was Thomas Budnick (2nd, 2 3rds) which i think it was somewhat reasonable. Mayer should go at the very least the same as Schmidt

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

McCoy hasn’t looked all that great the last 10 games. I don’t think that will overly affect his value but it may make a team or two think twice about ponying up the assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad