Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I think for all the love Wilson gets, we should talk a lot more about the incredible job Mike Oke has done. I give him the credit for changing the narrative around the team in almost every aspect.

- drafting Mason McTavish and having him report was huge for the organizational rep with players and parents.
- trading for Akil Thomas after the Gold Medal clinching goal furthered this as a place players wanted to come.
- drafting Nick Robertson 16th overall, it almost gets lost in the covid year that he had 55 goals in 46 games and was the most dominant Petes player in years.
- heavily criticised trades for Chase Stillman, Brennan Othmann that panned out in the end.
- willing to go all in dealing Lardis and JVV to bring in players who brought the OHL Championship home.
- exceeding all expectations in the rebuild by acquiring three additional first round picks in the most recent draft.
- drafting the centrepiece of the next great Petes team (even above those three forwards) at #13 in Carson Cameron.

And that's only on the ice.

- 17 sell outs this year, more in the second half of the year when the team was in rebuilding mode
- franchise attendance record
- most season tickets holders ever
- way younger crowds
- from what I've heard even greater momentum going into next season.

I'll give Wilson credit for last year's playoffs and the first half of this season. Before that he didn't really live up to expectations (that team underachieved so much in last year's regular season). Oke has been crushing it for years.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I think for all the love Wilson gets, we should talk a lot more about the incredible job Mike Oke has done. I give him the credit for changing the narrative around the team in almost every aspect.

- drafting Mason McTavish and having him report was huge for the organizational rep with players and parents.
- trading for Akil Thomas after the Gold Medal clinching goal furthered this as a place players wanted to come.
- drafting Nick Robertson 16th overall, it almost gets lost in the covid year that he had 55 goals in 46 games and was the most dominant Petes player in years.
- heavily criticised trades for Chase Stillman, Brennan Othmann that panned out in the end.
- willing to go all in dealing Lardis and JVV to bring in players who brought the OHL Championship home.
- exceeding all expectations in the rebuild by acquiring three additional first round picks in the most recent draft.
- drafting the centrepiece of the next great Petes team (even above those three forwards) at #13 in Carson Cameron.

And that's only on the ice.

- 17 sell outs this year, more in the second half of the year when the team was in rebuilding mode
- franchise attendance record
- most season tickets holders ever
- way younger crowds
- from what I've heard even greater momentum going into next season.

I'll give Wilson credit for last year's playoffs and the first half of this season. Before that he didn't really live up to expectations (that team underachieved so much in last year's regular season). Oke has been crushing it for years.
That is a great recap.
The Lardis trade was the one that REALLY worried me for this organizations future. -But it paid off.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
As we approach the draft and I look around at some of the eligible players, there is one lingering thought that continues to remain in my head. The Petes are one of the few remaining teams in the OHL who only allow players to wear 'traditional' numbers 1-35 and this needs to STOP. There is no reason for this rule and pretty much every player who comes to the Petes has to choose a number that means nothing to them or they have little to no history with. Two exceptions were made last season (Othmann #78 and Stillman #61) and that change should have remained in place for all players to wear whatever they want.

Prior to the season I was really hoping that with the new maroon and white as well as alternate jersey, that the Petes would let players wear whatever number they want, but sadly for no reason, this rule remains in place. Yes some say it is tradition but Petes in the past could wear higher numbers (Akil Thomas + the Montador family approving #44) and it is time the Petes move into the 21st century and allow players to wear whatever they want.

Ethan Belchetz and Braidy Wassilyn both wear currently wear #61 and would have to change if drafted by the Petes, Caden Taylor wore #96 for the Wolves and in minor hockey and he admitted during an interview that #19 with the Petes meant nothing to him and he had to choose it because it was one of the few available numbers left. Owen Beck wore #92 in Mississauga, Connor Lockhart #73, Braydon McCallum #73 in minor hockey, Jonathan Melee #80 his entire career, Donovan McCoy #93 with Quinte, Konnor Smith #91, Tucker Robertson #62, and frankly this list could go on forever. This is a silly rule that NEEDS to be changed and would be even more enticing for players being apart of the Petes program.

Hopefully some of you share this same sentiment and the movement towards allowing Petes players to wear whatever number they want can begin and hopefully one day soon, the Petes, the board of directors and whoever else, can make this new change become a reality!
1711746336869.png

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
As we approach the draft and I look around at some of the eligible players, there is one lingering thought that continues to remain in my head. The Petes are one of the few remaining teams in the OHL who only allow players to wear 'traditional' numbers 1-35 and this needs to STOP. There is no reason for this rule and pretty much every player who comes to the Petes has to choose a number that means nothing to them or they have little to no history with. Two exceptions were made last season (Othmann #78 and Stillman #61) and that change should have remained in place for all players to wear whatever they want.

Prior to the season I was really hoping that with the new maroon and white as well as alternate jersey, that the Petes would let players wear whatever number they want, but sadly for no reason, this rule remains in place. Yes some say it is tradition but Petes in the past could wear higher numbers (Akil Thomas + the Montador family approving #44) and it is time the Petes move into the 21st century and allow players to wear whatever they want.

Ethan Belchetz and Braidy Wassilyn both wear currently wear #61 and would have to change if drafted by the Petes, Caden Taylor wore #96 for the Wolves and in minor hockey and he admitted during an interview that #19 with the Petes meant nothing to him and he had to choose it because it was one of the few available numbers left. Owen Beck wore #92 in Mississauga, Connor Lockhart #73, Braydon McCallum #73 in minor hockey, Jonathan Melee #80 his entire career, Donovan McCoy #93 with Quinte, Konnor Smith #91, Tucker Robertson #62, and frankly this list could go on forever. This is a silly rule that NEEDS to be changed and would be even more enticing for players being apart of the Petes program.

Hopefully some of you share this same sentiment and the movement towards allowing Petes players to wear whatever number they want can begin and hopefully one day soon, the Petes, the board of directors and whoever else, can make this new change become a reality!
View attachment 843255
I don’t think the number situation has been a deterrent to players committing to the Petes. traditionally they have had skaters select numbers between #2 to #29 and goaltenders #1 and #29 to #35. The Petes have allowed a few drafted/signed players to wear higher numbers. Sergi Kuznetzov wore #36 Lukas Krajicek and Marc Phibbs wore #37, Robert Francz wore #39, Ryan Schmidt wore #44 and Scott Barney wore #77. They also allowed players they have acquired in trades to wear numbers they have traditionally worn with other teams such as Akil Thomas with #44, Barron Smith with #55, Chase Stillman with #62 and Brennan Othmann with #78. Steve Mondator wore #44 but had not worn that number with his either of hisother two OHL teams that he played for. It not the norm
but they have made exceptions.

I really like the tradition of the lower numbers because it allows a player to wear the same number of many great Petes from the past. The player wearing #9 is following in the footsteps of players like Wayne Connelly, Tim Trimper and Mike Ricci or those wearing #17 are wearing the same number as Mickey Redmond and Scott Tottle. When Jack Van Volsen was signed two years ago they gave him Bob Gainey’s #14. In regards to higher number I can see some merit in allowing players to wear higher numbers. In minor hockey they select numbers that are higher and want to continue that in the OHL As I said at the start of my post I don’t think it has caused issues with players reporting but allowing them wear their number they have always worn may help with their adjustment to the OHL in their rookie season.

Is it fair that a player has always wore #5 or a higher number such as #57 and a returning player already has that number and as a result he can’t have his usual number but another rookie can come in and get his traditional #87? A select set of numbers is likely fairer to all players. Another interesting fact is that many of the players that Petes have traded the last two seasons have continued to wear the numbers they wore with Peterborough not their minor hockey league number.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Let's hope this can help kickstart the process of potential new arena happen a bit quicker. I know it has been well documented but it's time to stop dragging our feet and make this become a reality, as after all building/having significant progress on a new arena was one of Mayor Jeff Leal's campaign focuses

Reactions: Zebra

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
9th pick in the import draft we should be able to get a solid player with that pick.
It appears the Petes will likely draft a centre in the 1st round. I think they need to get a right winger or a defenceman with their import pick.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
It appears the Petes will likely draft a centre in the 1st round. I think they need to get a right winger or a defenceman with their import pick.
I would bet Petes take a defenceman from the Import Draft. Matejicek has 1 year left (won't keep an OA Import) and then the 2025 Import draft Petes can take a high end forward 1st round

Reactions: User13452 and OMG67

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Sounds like a Wilson type player. Size, skill and competes every game. Interested to see what position they go with Ottawa’s second round pick. Goaltender maybe?
I think they go with another forward in the 2nd and there should be some good options available at pick 32. Work with Bowen, Rye and Johnston over the next few years in net.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Sounds like Sarnia may now be taking Di Iorio. Really don't know where this leaves the Petes now with all of the US stuff...

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Sounds like Sarnia may now be taking Di Iorio. Really don't know where this leaves the Petes now with all of the US stuff...
I would like them to draft Braidy Wassilyn if Alessandro Di Iorio is taken by Sarnia. However there are some who are saying that Wassilyn will only go to Niagara. If that is the case I could see the Petes take Brady Smith or Alex McLean.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Is anyone really surprised with the level of entitlement from the younger generation? Teams buying into it will only make it worse in coming years. Call their bluff and force their hand.

Reactions: Section5Petes

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Is anyone really surprised with the level of entitlement from the younger generation? Teams buying into it will only make it worse in coming years. Call their bluff and force their hand.
It’s pretty ridiculous. Gotten really bad in the last 5 years and trending upwards. Wouldn’t be too surprised if soon there won’t be a draft and London and Kitchener will get every good player imaginable - wrecking the competitiveness of the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad