Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Not sure if it's even been posted yet, as Verner is still Interim coach. Though I don't see it likely he'll be getting a new contract. I would think (and hope) the board has candidates in mind and are just waiting until they can start talking to them. I would also figure a lot of people are ready to apply as soon as it is officially open.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
A number of people with mock drafts have the Petes selecting Dman Lleyton Moore 3rd overall, but that is a bit of a head scratcher for me.

The Petes are already deep in young Dmen (2000's - Chisholm, Beraldo, McNamara, Babintsev; 2001 - Supryka).

I could be wrong, but I can't see them drafting a Dman in the 1st round.

They also have the 9th pick in the CHL import draft. These two picks will be in the lineup for the Petes next year (assuming nothing funny happens). Will one of these be a Dman or will both be forwards?

The one nice piece of leverage the Petes have is the Russian connection. Whether it's a 2002 Russian player who is eligible in the OHL entry draft (like SDA, Gogolev, Korostelev were) or a 2001 Russian player who is drafted by an NHL team prior to the CHL draft in June, the player would have to feel pretty good about joining the Petes with 3 fellow countrymen already here to help with the transition.

Say what you want about Oke, but those picks were gold. Hopefully he has some more of that same magic up his sleeve in the 2018 drafts.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
A number of people with mock drafts have the Petes selecting Dman Lleyton Moore 3rd overall, but that is a bit of a head scratcher for me.

The Petes are already deep in young Dmen (2000's - Chisholm, Beraldo, McNamara, Babintsev; 2001 - Supryka).

I could be wrong, but I can't see them drafting a Dman in the 1st round.

They also have the 9th pick in the CHL import draft. These two picks will be in the lineup for the Petes next year (assuming nothing funny happens). Will one of these be a Dman or will both be forwards?

The one nice piece of leverage the Petes have is the Russian connection. Whether it's a 2002 Russian player who is eligible in the OHL entry draft (like SDA, Gogolev, Korostelev were) or a 2001 Russian player who is drafted by an NHL team prior to the CHL draft in June, the player would have to feel pretty good about joining the Petes with 3 fellow countrymen already here to help with the transition.

Say what you want about Oke, but those picks were gold. Hopefully he has some more of that same magic up his sleeve in the 2018 drafts.

With reporting starting to become an issue.... I think getting Moore should be considered a win. Terrific skater, great offensive defenseman. Also known for his tremendous leadership and character. Think Victor Mete but maybe better offensively....

Yes we return alot of defenseman... but honestly how many of them have top pairing upside? Chisholm and...... that's it.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
With reporting starting to become an issue.... I think getting Moore should be considered a win. Terrific skater, great offensive defenseman. Also known for his tremendous leadership and character. Think Victor Mete but maybe better offensively....

Yes we return alot of defenseman... but honestly how many of them have top pairing upside? Chisholm and...... that's it.

o_O

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Daniil Chayka gets eligibility for the OHL Draft. Petes going to add to the Russian group!? Re-branding to red/white/blue

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Daniil Chayka gets eligibility for the OHL Draft. Petes going to add to the Russian group!? Re-branding to red/white/blue

Do they look to add a Russian coach to the staff?

I'd love to see a Petes coach standing in front of the players.

viktor-tikhonov-team-russia-coach-super-series.jpg

How awesome would it be if this guy became a Petes coach?

hqdefault.jpg

I could recruit him to play on my Sunday morning Oldtimers' team!

KeeganPBO84

Mar 21, 2018
Do you guys think Oke is back next year? I think if hes back he needs help. How many teams dont have an asssistant General Manager?

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Do you guys think Oke is back next year? I think if hes back he needs help. How many teams dont have an asssistant General Manager?

Oke will be back. He has 2 more years left on his contract and the Petes won’t be buying that out and hiring someone else.

There are 8 other teams that don’t have an asst. GM and 3 other that have an asst. GM but their GM’s are also the head coaches, so they obviously need an asst.

If they bring in a new coach, I would think/hope that the coach would work with Oke on GM type stuff.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Oke will be back. He has 2 more years left on his contract and the Petes won’t be buying that out and hiring someone else.

There are 8 other teams that don’t have an asst. GM and 3 other that have an asst. GM but their GM’s are also the head coaches, so they obviously need an asst.

If they bring in a new coach, I would think/hope that the coach would work with Oke on GM type stuff.

A way to get a better coach to want to come over is give him the asst. GM title too. I know that's how Oshawa got DJ Smith (now with the Leafs) to leave Windsor for them, they also gave him the AGM title along with head coach

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Also this $$$ helps :sarcasm:

But does a team need 3 asst. coaches?

What about a HC/asst GM + 2 asst. coaches

The money saved by reducing the # of asst. coaches could be added to the $$$$ going to the HC/asst GM

Yes the Petes missed out on some playoff $ this season, but they average about 525 more fans per game this season

525 x 34 = 17, 850

so they made more money over the course of the regular season than they have in previous years

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Interesting how petes scouting are hitting on late picks pretty good...Lorentz nhl pick into pro major contributor 2012 12th round Ohl pick...Logan denoble point getter top 10 pp point getter 17 ..ohl captain 2013 13th round..Jacob partridge big rookie 50 point getter nojhl as rookie signed 2017 11th rnd...Tyson hillier led alliance midget league 54pts 2017 14th round tbd....not bad

too_long

Oct 24, 2006
But does a team need 3 asst. coaches?

What about a HC/asst GM + 2 asst. coaches

The money saved by reducing the # of asst. coaches could be added to the $$$$ going to the HC/asst GM

Yes the Petes missed out on some playoff $ this season, but they average about 525 more fans per game this season

525 x 34 = 17, 850

so they made more money over the course of the regular season than they have in previous years

Hi- Battalion fan here..What did the Pete's do to raise the turnout 500/game?

pretty impressive accomplishment.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Hi- Battalion fan here..What did the Pete's do to raise the turnout 500/game?

pretty impressive accomplishment.
For the first time in years they had two local players on the team. One in particular comes from a huge family That didn’t hurt. Also the petes hired some new marketing people and Matt D’Agostini is top notch at his job. Also a great guy. Hopefully the fans come back again next year. I haven’t seen the barn that full on a consistent basis in a long time.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Interesting how petes scouting are hitting on late picks pretty good...Lorentz nhl pick into pro major contributor 2012 12th round Ohl pick...Logan denoble point getter top 10 pp point getter 17 ..ohl captain 2013 13th round..Jacob partridge big rookie 50 point getter nojhl as rookie signed 2017 11th rnd...Tyson hillier led alliance midget league 54pts 2017 14th round tbd....not bad

The first 2 very impressive. I wouldn't hold my breath on the last 2 though. Chad Denault was almost a point per game guy in the NOJHL. And the major midget Alliance is worse than the GOJHL

too_long

Oct 24, 2006
For the first time in years they had two local players on the team. One in particular comes from a huge family That didn’t hurt. Also the petes hired some new marketing people and Matt D’Agostini is top notch at his job. Also a great guy. Hopefully the fans come back again next year. I haven’t seen the barn that full on a consistent basis in a long time.
good stuff..thanks!

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Local players mean literally nothing for attendance. Denoble was here the 4 years before too.

The reason for the spike is directly related to the discussion here about the Assistant GM. Instead of having an assistant GM who didn't do anything on the hockey side and was complacent on the business side, they took that role and spun it into a director of business operations, a marketing manager, a group sales guy and a seasons ticket guy. They did a lot of good work behind the scenes to keep the building full.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Let’s not forget the Petes got to keep an extra 300,000 or so from the city-which they spent getting attendance up-

It’s no miracle of marketing-it is an extra 300,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad