Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maroonlady

Sep 20, 2017
would be great for Petes to have both but only if Tammela is going to play no sense wasting a spot as this will be his last year and we dont need to see him sitting all season and do without a european player on a team that should be making a run

Tammela is injured again and Koro is at the Marlies camp

Last edited:

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Tammela is injured again and Koro is at the Marlies camp

geez hope they dont waste a spot on tammela unless he can play early...i think koro's gonna be back!! marlies have very few deals left for a 2 way or maybe none at all so he may want to play junior and put up big points for a big 2 way deal next year with any team in nhl...wont be long now till they find out

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Well.......Sambrook looked pretty good!
Any chance that a trade happened right after the game and Erie took a couple of players and some picks from the Petes with them to Kingston and left Sambrook behind so he could have a week of practice with the team before he makes his Petes' debut when they host Oshawa next Thursday?!

Game notes
- IMO Fraser and Babintsev looked good in the back
- I liked the pairings on D.......Fraser/Timms, Black/Babintsev, Chisholm/Beraldo
The lack of experience is just glaring at times.
- If Gogolev is going to play the point on the power play, the Petes may want to choose to decline penalties if they already have a lead :(
- Timleck played well, picked up 2 assists
- Robertson was impressive; he is slick with the puck like SDA and seems to be a step or two faster
- I actually liked the line combos OK too.......seemed like Gallant, Paquette, Isaacson were playing the shut-down line role.......Ang, Denoble, Timleck created some chances that timpano made good saves on........SDA, Gogolev, Dow could have scored a bunch, especially if Gogolev could hit the net (only 1 shot recorded for him!)
- I am glad that Gogo is playing with more confidence and I think he could score 25 goals this year, but I'm concerned that he weighs the same as SDA 168lbs....if he can put on more weight and get stronger he will be a force
- I'm concerned that after the Petes scored the first goal of the game, they gave up 2 goals in the next 4 minutes and after scoring their second goal to make the score 3-2, they gave up a goal to Erie in less than a minute

A win would have been nice in front of a big crowd on opening night but winning the last
game of your season is more important than winning your first.

It's a drag that the price for top Dmen in the league has gone through the roof because that's the next obvious move Oke will need to make.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Well.......Sambrook looked pretty good!
Any chance that a trade happened right after the game and Erie took a couple of players and some picks from the Petes with them to Kingston and left Sambrook behind so he could have a week of practice with the team before he makes his Petes' debut when they host Oshawa next Thursday?!

Game notes
- IMO Fraser and Babintsev looked good in the back
- I liked the pairings on D.......Fraser/Timms, Black/Babintsev, Chisholm/Beraldo
The lack of experience is just glaring at times.
- If Gogolev is going to play the point on the power play, the Petes may want to choose to decline penalties if they already have a lead :(
- Timleck played well, picked up 2 assists
- Robertson was impressive; he is slick with the puck like SDA and seems to be a step or two faster
- I actually liked the line combos OK too.......seemed like Gallant, Paquette, Isaacson were playing the shut-down line role.......Ang, Denoble, Timleck created some chances that timpano made good saves on........SDA, Gogolev, Dow could have scored a bunch, especially if Gogolev could hit the net (only 1 shot recorded for him!)
- I am glad that Gogo is playing with more confidence and I think he could score 25 goals this year, but I'm concerned that he weighs the same as SDA 168lbs....if he can put on more weight and get stronger he will be a force
- I'm concerned that after the Petes scored the first goal of the game, they gave up 2 goals in the next 4 minutes and after scoring their second goal to make the score 3-2, they gave up a goal to Erie in less than a minute

A win would have been nice in front of a big crowd on opening night but winning the last
game of your season is more important than winning your first.

It's a drag that the price for top Dmen in the league has gone through the roof because that's the next obvious move Oke will need to make.

I predicted Sambrook to Petes would make a ton of sense. Could see a good fit there for sure. We shall see

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
They might need to consider moving Robertson to the wing for the year to get him into the top 9. They are a better team with him in the top 9. He gets them back into the game last night and barely plays afterwards.

I'd split Gallant, Paquette and Dow between the 3 lines. Paquette and Gogolev spent the first few days of training camp playing together and were the top scorers. Why not see if that carries over?

I'd personally like to see something like

DeNoble - Ang - Dow/Paquette
Robertson - Gallant - Timleck
Gogolev - SDA - Paquette/Dow
Isaacson/Svoboda - Rollo - Denault/Parker Jones

I think you'd have a good mix of everything on each line.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Rollo was ill I think. It was in the Examiner.

Gogolev's mistake at the blueline at the end of the 2nd period led to the tying goal. I think he was benched for a while after that. The Petes were up by a goal and on a power play at the time and the momentum just died.

Defensive zone coverage is a big problem - Erie had the puck a lot and had guys open all the time to dish to. Whereas in Erie's end the Petes were often under pressure and had less time.

The Petes will clean up their back end coverage eventually and will be okay.

Ang has got to make faster decisions with the puck instead of lugging it every time. He is good at it but it is way too predictable.

Gallant didn't look strong for some reason but still was a factor. That's how good he is.

Good game by Timleck, Robertson, Chisholm. SDA plays well - he should play with snipers because he makes nice passes. Like Robertson did with Denoble's goal.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
They might need to consider moving Robertson to the wing for the year to get him into the top 9. They are a better team with him in the top 9. He gets them back into the game last night and barely plays afterwards.

I'd split Gallant, Paquette and Dow between the 3 lines. Paquette and Gogolev spent the first few days of training camp playing together and were the top scorers. Why not see if that carries over?

I actually really like the looks of that, well done.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016

I like the balance this creates with 3 lines that can put the puck in the net consistently. Here is my question......which line would you choose to matchup against the top offensive line from the other team?

Of course this will all change again if korostelev and/or Tammela return.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Thanks !

Seems like we have an even bigger problem with defence now that Timms has a broken foot!

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Yes definitely a tough position for Oke to be in. At least with a healthy Timms the Petes could have tread water for a bit at the start of the season before trading for an experienced Dman.

I think they need to target Sambrook (Erie) or Nother (Windsor).

Both are 98 right shots.....IMO Sambrook would cost more so Oke may have to settle for Nother and save some assets for later trades.

Another approach may be to release/trade Rollo and pick up an OA Dman. In related OA news, 15 players were released by the Toronto Marlies. Korostelev is still with the team (one of 14 forwards) as they start exhibition games. Stay tuned.......

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Much better effort tonight!
I was pretty worried about our defence given the loss of
Timms however they did pretty good-
I really think Wells should have been given an assist -it was his pass up the middle

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Post game ramblings.......
  • I thought the coaches did a nice job tonight of managing the bench.
  • The bottom D pair of Beraldo and McNamara were put in favourable situations and although they struggled a bit early on, they seemed to gain confidence as the game wore on.
  • Good special teams work - 1 for 1 on PP and a perfect 4 for 4 on the PK including a SH goal.
  • 4th line of Robertson, Rollo and Svoboda were effective tonight.
  • IMO the team used their speed much more effectively tonight................on the fore-check, on the back-check through the neutral zone and when attacking the Oshawa goal on the rush.
  • Starting to see some chemistry on the line combinations......a week of practices with everyone back (so far?) from pro camps seems to be making a difference.
  • SDA needs to know where it's safe to stickhandle around opposing players (offensive half of the ice) and where it is better to dump or pass the puck (defensive half of the ice).
  • Isaacson and Timleck were solid tonight, both playing an aggressive style and creating opposition turnovers.
  • Ang made better decisions when he had the puck tonight....I hope you can be consistent at this throughout the rest of the season.
  • Wells was stellar all game which was a big plus given the 3 rookies on the blue line
  • Thank goodness for Gleb! He did not look out of place at all in our top 4 D........he will help to take a little pressure off Oke when it comes to rushing to make a deal for a Dman.
  • I'm sure that Wells will get the Saturday night "homecoming" start in Niagara and I expect that Jones will get the Sunday afternoon start for the back end of the home-and-home. I'm excited to see him play.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Korostelev was healthy scratched tonight by the Marlies. One of only two forwards to not dress... Keeping in mind the Leafs have likely 10+ AHL forwards still to send down.

Last edited:

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
2 solid wins by niagara to start but Wells will be tough heading home to Niagara then likely Jones for a home start. Im lookin for 4pts to jump to front of standings with an OT win on sunday at home. Thought the young D played steady no chances just safe vs Oshawa. Some of the fwds (SDA) have to help them out by not making foolish plays down low and just get the puck out. Ill be at Niagara game later should be a dandy

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I'm with you Bubbles.
If the D can just keep things simple (as well as SDA!) and avoid giving up quality chances and second chances, then Wells should be able to limit the Ice Dogs to less than 3 goals. I thought the forward lines were starting to show some chemistry as well....... hopefully that can translate into 4+ goals for the maroon and white!

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
good crowd in niagara yesterday saw them work Petes young D hard. A couple young D werent great causing confusion and poor breakout attempts resulting in goals (see game +/- ) Pav is struggling again now that the season has started not sure what the heck has happened to him he had a ton of confidence now he's just dumping it in all time. hes got tons of offence just has to get confidence back but will coach have patience. PP 1/4, shots against 32 not terrible.
BIG point here is that 1 goal from this group of vet forwards is unacceptable, cant blame the young D for goals for........

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
ok so 8 goals is a nice retort! and Gogolev comes up big with 4pts...a ton of shots both sides but over 40 against at home yikes. 4 out of 6pts for weekend is good under the circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad