Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I don't understand anything you said in that rant. I don't stick my nose in other peoples business, it's a public forum. If you have a problem with people having a different opinion and telling their opinion then maybe you shouldn't come on here then. I'm sorry that you have such a problem with me seeing things different with this team. Go ahead and post whatever you wish but I'm going to do the same.

If you follow the OHL then you should know that it's not uncommon for teams to drop in the standings after the go on a long playoff run. Erie won the OHL last year and they didn't make the playoffs this year. I bet there fans aren't calling for the GMs head because of it, it s just the junior hockey cycle that catches up to every team.

Oke took over a hockey team from Dave Reid that was run right into the ground and he has made this team semi-relevant again. Mississauga didn't beat us because we traded Mancina to them, they had a solid core of young very talented players and they were able to add Spencer Watson and Villi Saarijarvi to that solid core.

When was the last time Oke screwed up the first three picks? We signed our top two picks from the 2017 draft, seven from the 2016 draft, five from the 2015 draft, six from the 2014 draft. All have been at least decent players or traded for players/picks. Unfortunately it's not as easy as just picking the best available players in this league because players and agents can dictate where they go and they have endless US options if they get picked by a OHL team they don't want to play for. Do you think its better if we waste a pick on someone who isn't coming? Do you really think a new GM is going to change that? We are a small market with poor facility and theres nothing anyone can do about it. You can bring in some big name guy and its still going to be just as big of a challenge to get players to come here.

I'm sorry but being a GM in this league is not what you think it is.
all very good points section7fan

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
yep lol hey if you were GM who would you draft and why?
burtsy lets assume byfield is going #1 and Flint takes next best in Drysdale i would take either of veirling tolnei or cuylle all excellent big players petes need based upon the interviews that im sure they would do!!??? IF Flint passes on Drysdale due to reporting issues then i would take Drysdale in a heart beat as i believe due to his highend talent and skill he is #2, then try to get him to report OR trade him as the londons of the OHL will definately be players on this franchise type dman. the petes will be in building mode still next season so not having that pick wont be massive on the team then get the extra 1st pick in 2019 along with a boat loads of other picks from team that gets drysdale and make out like bandits! all scenarios i would support oke doing...im on section7's side with oke i dont think hes done that poor of a job but this year will really define him as a GM some huge decisions...so tuck your dukes in and grab some pom poms for the draft lol

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
burtsy lets assume byfield is going #1 and Flint takes next best in Drysdale i would take either of veirling tolnei or cuylle all excellent big players petes need based upon the interviews that im sure they would do!!??? IF Flint passes on Drysdale due to reporting issues then i would take Drysdale in a heart beat as i believe due to his highend talent and skill he is #2, then try to get him to report OR trade him as the londons of the OHL will definately be players on this franchise type dman. the petes will be in building mode still next season so not having that pick wont be massive on the team then get the extra 1st pick in 2019 along with a boat loads of other picks from team that gets drysdale and make out like bandits! all scenarios i would support oke doing...im on section7's side with oke i dont think hes done that poor of a job but this year will really define him as a GM some huge decisions...so tuck your dukes in and grab some pom poms for the draft lol
yah love it its ok to have a difference on Oke, just feel different thats wear it lies ? just do not like people insulting remarks I can tell you know your stuff, great assessment on minor midget talent Drysdale is smooth great player I feel Moore is real good but size issue right now anyway ? Have you seen Owen Power? massive good d man like York Simcoe winger Butler also, Cuylle is a talent as well. Hope Oke hits one out of the park, I have at times said things I regret and do not like to say things about the players but I call em like I see em? IM 60 YEARS OLD love my Petes yeah have been a bit negative at times on here but no one knows what others on here are dealing with? Mr. Section 7 fan replied to my post tells me to stop being a fan ? Now tells me to get off this post? And insults non stop? there is no need to do this, I admit made some remarks wish I didn't, stopped with funny name a certain other man calls him thought it was funny? With that said proud of our boys in maroon and white not a great year oh well some played well some underachieved that's Junior hockey. When your best are not your best it mostly spells trouble. Best wishes to Logan Denoble in my mind true warrior, Nikita Korostolev loved your skill set keep dangling, Blackie loved your compete and battle thankyou, enjoyed watching you play. All the best

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
yah love it its ok to have a difference on Oke, just feel different thats wear it lies ? just do not like people insulting remarks I can tell you know your stuff, great assessment on minor midget talent Drysdale is smooth great player I feel Moore is real good but size issue right now anyway ? Have you seen Owen Power? massive good d man like York Simcoe winger Butler also, Cuylle is a talent as well. Hope Oke hits one out of the park, I have at times said things I regret and do not like to say things about the players but I call em like I see em? IM 60 YEARS OLD love my Petes yeah have been a bit negative at times on here but no one knows what others on here are dealing with? Mr. Section 7 fan replied to my post tells me to stop being a fan ? Now tells me to get off this post? And insults non stop? there is no need to do this, I admit made some remarks wish I didn't, stopped with funny name a certain other man calls him thought it was funny? With that said proud of our boys in maroon and white not a great year oh well some played well some underachieved that's Junior hockey. When your best are not your best it mostly spells trouble. Best wishes to Logan Denoble in my mind true warrior, Nikita Korostolev loved your skill set keep dangling, Blackie loved your compete and battle thankyou, enjoyed watching you play. All the best

Burtsy, you were the one who kept saying that you wanted give up your season tickets. I was just the only person to come out and said to do what you were talking about doing. That was not an insult. I never said your should stop posting but you get very upset when people have a different opinion and criticize things that you say. It's a debate between hockey fans about a subject, theres no need to take it personal.

Petes198

Dec 20, 2017
There has been a lot said recently on this site about coaching and a lot of barbs thrown at Jody Hull who in a lot of people's opinions was a poor coach.

Let me give you my take. The Petes were not that good a team last year, they went on a long winning streak in late November and December and everyone including the GM, fans and Board Members got giddy. Anyone who had been around hockey could see this. I remember talking to an acquaintance of mine who is a long time season ticket holder and asking him "What do you think of the Petes?" His answer was "They aren't that good. They won a lot of games by one goal, got outshot in most games and had good goaltending. They overacheived. I hear comments that Hull was outcoached in the finals against Mississauga. The truth is Mississauga was a very good team, a much better team than the Petes. Anyone who saw them play here last Thursday night will see that when they decide to play they can play. Their problem is they turn it off and on. A lot of times off.

Then came trade deadline and our GM (not our coach) went out and got Chris Paquette. We gave up a prospect and five draft picks for Paquette (15 goals, 13 assists, minus 35) who is one of the greatest floaters of all times. Is our GM being held accountable for this? or does he have the ear of the board members? Dave Pogue stated some time ago that he would leave no stone unturned until he finds out what is needed to turn things around.Time will tell.

We dont know whether Hull was a good coach, mediocre coach or a poor coach but he is not as bad as people make him out to be. I do know that a lot of players had a lot of respect for him.

I agree but the buck stops with him. The manager isn't going to fire himself. Pogue should have let the two of them go. I hated the trade Hinz for Ang. After that trade we had no chance of making the playoffs.

\

Petes198

Dec 20, 2017
It's funny that people were crying for the coaches to play Supryka, they give him regular and power play time and people are saying the coaches are dumb for doing it. He's a 16 year old third round pick. He's getting minutes in games that have zero meaning. Does it really matter if he makes mistakes now? you do more damage benching him in my opinion.
For once I agree with you.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Well done you Petes!

This was a reallly hard season and it must have been hell battling through all the injuries etc-

Congratulations on finishing the year with all the class and dignity of true champions!

Agree. It has been a tough and disappointing season for the players, coaches, management and fans. I didn't agree with all the decisions made but people smarter than me are paid to make those decisions.

The kids on the ice gave it everything they had and we saw a lot of entertaining hockey. All the best to those not returning. Logan Denoble, Korestelev and Black will be missed and I know they will do well in whatever lies ahead. If Wells doesn't return good luck wherever you land.

Let's hope that things turn around next year.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
hey well said Burtsy we all do same at times so here's to moving on!! yes ive caught butler alot i go to newmarket a fair bit he's a big beast as is cuylle but i think cuylle has better hands and smarts i have butler a bit below. As far as Power goes havent seen as much but what ive seen he'd be 2 or 3 for me only due to his lack of pure offence and if you want a d in the 1st they better have offence in them to me so id have drysdale moore then power hes huge good stick will be a very good nhl'er...and you have earned your right to an opinion even though sometimes people wont agree its how we give our opinions and how we respectfully disagree with others that makes the forum such fun!! heres to the draft!!!!

Petes198

Dec 20, 2017
What ever ? manhood that's funny! I'm likewise not interested in your opinion Section 7 fan,and don't tell me to move on? And don't tell me to get over it either. The negativity is not directed at the players they are all very good players in this league.My comments are directed to the adults who make the on ice decisions. Unlike many fans who yell insults at our players I never have ever. I tell it like I see it if someone doesn't like it so be it? When a player has not played well or had a bad year I will say so, I don't sugar coat it ? And trust me I have no interest in ever meeting you, because you always insult and push your unwanted opinion on here. You stick your nose in other peoples comments because you say Mr. Oke has done a not bad job? I'm just curious lots of comments on here other than mine are real negative against players on this team don't see you spouting off? lol Franchise record for losses on road games? Last year sent a very good Mississauga team the only thing they needed a good goalie?Bye the way they beat us out? Went to division final last year to not making the playoffs in one season? Burton Lee brought the fans back with a very aggressive sales program.With our drafting small players and trading for you guessed it, more small players it just might play a role in never having a healthy roster and oh yeah loosing too many one on one battles? Magically turn this team into London? What really ,there is no magic in it, its called doing a good job as GM and it requires hard work , constantly doing things to improve your team? The whole body of work? Dumpster fire into something with potential? Last year our best period was the 3rd period , this year it was our worst period. You can not make a bad choice with your first 3 picks in any draft year and if you do make a mistake you better unload that player quickly or you will be stuck with this player for 4 years? And what about players not returning, Coyle or drafting a Euro pick not once but twice and cutting both players? Wow this whole body of work lmao. I don't need to mention the players who wont play here ?
Good post. I for one think we could do a lot better going forward with a new management team. I would recommend seeing if the SSM manager would consider coming here (isn't he an ex Pete). We need a number of ex NHLers coming on board, people who know the game.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Good post. I for one think we could do a lot better going forward with a new management team. I would recommend seeing if the SSM manager would consider coming here (isn't he an ex Pete). We need a number of ex NHLers coming on board, people who know the game.

SSM Manager is not coming here. Ex NHl'ers . We had Dave Reid, Jody Hull, Ken McRae, Mike Pelino.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Petes will pick 3rd and 27th in the top 30 of the OHL Draft. They will select 9th in the Import Draft.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

Bringing in big name guys won't necessarily help. Kingston brought in some big names and it hasn't really translated into overwhelming success. They've won like two or three playoff series in the last 20 years. We've had it rough but at least we're making progress with our drafting.

I highly doubt Raftis will leave SSM with what he's been able to do up there. Maybe having someone younger in the GM/coach roles is where the success with these kids is now. With that said, I think we are fine where we are right now. We we went deep last year and we lost a good core of leadership and experience along with coaches who seemed to make a difference. It's not like the GM can snap his fingers and magically make equal replacements appear and pick up where we left off. Top market teams can do that better than we can because they are able to get top talent from the US to come and fill those roles year after year.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Omg

Reactions: foghorn

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
How badly do you guys think that the injury to Chisholm hurt his draft ranking? It took him a bit to get his feet back under him, but I still think he could go late 2nd/early 3rd in the draft come June

jmkrangers

Aug 28, 2012
It's always bothered me that so many people in Canada care about the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament but the average person seems to know a lot less about the (far superior) CHL Playoffs and Memorial Cup (obviously this is because of the dramatic single-elimination bracket format of March Madness and all the media attention it gets). I've always thought it would be fun though to fill out some sort of CHL playoff bracket but since I've never really found a good way to do it online, I decided to try creating my own for this year. Although it's a bit complicated and not the most user-friendly, there's step-by-step instructions on the website that should help. So if want to give it a try go to: memorialcupbracket.weebly.com

Reactions: MCur19

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
How badly do you guys think that the injury to Chisholm hurt his draft ranking? It took him a bit to get his feet back under him, but I still think he could go late 2nd/early 3rd in the draft come June
he seemed to be hurt alot this season and even last...i hope it doesnt hurt him but you gotta think his longevity would be questioned im gonna say more 3rdish

Petes198

Dec 20, 2017
SSM Manager is not coming here. Ex NHl'ers . We had Dave Reid, Jody Hull, Ken McRae, Mike Pelino.
I met we need local NHLers to sit on the board. Get people who know the game. Personally, I would sell the team now before it run further into the ground. I have been a Petes fan and team ticket holder for a long time and want to see it return to the glory days.

Petes198

Dec 20, 2017
Bringing in big name guys won't necessarily help. Kingston brought in some big names and it hasn't really translated into overwhelming success. They've won like two or three playoff series in the last 20 years. We've had it rough but at least we're making progress with our drafting.

I highly doubt Raftis will leave SSM with what he's been able to do up there. Maybe having someone younger in the GM/coach roles is where the success with these kids is now. With that said, I think we are fine where we are right now. We we went deep last year and we lost a good core of leadership and experience along with coaches who seemed to make a difference. It's not like the GM can snap his fingers and magically make equal replacements appear and pick up where we left off. Top market teams can do that better than we can because they are able to get top talent from the US to come and fill those roles year after year.
Players and their agents will go where the smart hockey people are Hunters, Rychels, Raftis, Gilmour etc. We are not there yet and I don't have the the time to wait till that happens.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Frontenacs have done pretty well last few years since Gilmour hired McFarland to coach; then, Varaday to coach and Kelly as GM.
He is at least smart enough to check his ego and hire the right guys to work with him.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Frontenacs have done pretty well last few years since Gilmour hired McFarland to coach; then, Varaday to coach and Kelly as GM.
He is at least smart enough to check his ego and hire the right guys to work with him.
figure head ...he has a great associate for sure ill give you that

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

I think Gilmore walked away from most of the hockey stuff a few years ago, which may be why they are doing well now vs the first 5/8 years. i mean, he was on a national book tour from Sept to Jan this year, that doesn’t strike me as a guy with his hands on the pulse

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I met we need local NHLers to sit on the board. Get people who know the game. Personally, I would sell the team now before it run further into the ground. I have been a Petes fan and team ticket holder for a long time and want to see it return to the glory days.

none of the soo’s success comes from guys who played in the nhl, they hired to guys who thought outside of the box. the last two Pete’s gms where a local nhl guy and the son of a board member, perhaps the issue is they don’t look outside of their bubble enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad