Peterborough Petes 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Petes win 6-2 and sweep series against Kingston. Dylan Wells scores the 6th Petes goal into an empty net. Can it get any better for the Petes? Congrats on another series win. That's eight straight wins in these playoffs.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Petes win 6-2 and sweep series against Kingston. Dylan Wells scores the 6th Petes goal into an empty net. Can it get any better for the Petes? Congrats on another series win. That's eight straight wins in these playoffs.

Yes I hope it can!! Will have to stay sharp hope shwa can win a few missy will be very tough

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Koodos to the Petes on an absolutely extraordinary season in the eastern conference. Additional koodos to tender Dylan Wells certainly looks like the league will have give the opportunity to count tenders getting goals for 2017/18 if teams tenders try from their own crease

from1981

Jan 7, 2015
Good to see the Petes back in the thick of things. Brings back memories of epic playoff battles between Belleville and Peterboro, (when an OHL team was located in Belleville), and fans would line up at the Yardmen Arena hours ahead of the box office opening, to buy tickets.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
It should be a good series with Mississauga. Both teams are playing well and have momentum. The Petes struggled in the last game (10-1 loss). Hopefully that was a an aberration. It would be nice to have Timms back but no word on his progress yet.

NV

Aug 22, 2003
I think this will be a really good series. Mississauga is one of the teams in the league that the Petes can't just outskate all night. I think the Petes have the edge in goal, no matter who starts for the Steelheads. I think the Petes have better depth with three true solid lines, while the Steelheads have two plus Ryan Mcleod... but the Steelheads likely have the edge in top end talent.

Will be interesting to see which line the Ang-Gallant-Coyle trio matches up against, I'd assume the Watson/Mcleod/Fox line.

Timms has been out almost 4 weeks now in what looked like a 4-8 week injury when it happened. Kind of hilarious (or stupid depending on your perspective) that the Petes have insisted he's day to day the whole time. He would make a big difference if he can play.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Timms has only been out 19 days so he's still on schedule for the estimate return date.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Timms has only been out 19 days so he's still on schedule for the estimate return date.

Was there an estimated return date? I thought he was day to day from the start. I'm sure we would have heard if he was skating with the team in practise.

When I saw Timms at the Mem Centre about a week ago he wasn't in a sling which I thought was hopeful. Who knows? The rest will be good for what is likely either a deep bruise or a hairline fracture.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
The Petes won the season series against Mississauga.

Dec 1/16 - Petes 4 - Missy 2
Dec 2/16 - Petes 5- Missy 3
Jan 19/17 Petes 3- Missy 2 (SO)
Feb 24/17 Missy 10 - Petes 1

That last game the Petes were without Korostelev and Gallant and had Smith in net. Missy was without Tippett. The Petes were destroyed in that game and that game will be on both teams' minds on Thursday I'm sure.

The Petes will likely be without Timms which sucks. I'm not sure if Missy is missing anyone.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Alex Black will remember the 10-1 game. He was a minus -5 and in the penalty box for a 6th Steelhead goal.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
According to Jody Hull on CHEX News, Matt Timms is back on the ice skating but not skating in practises yet with the team. He is still day-to-day and will need to get clearance from a doctor before returning. If he returns against Mississauga I assume then it would be after Game 3 or 4. The longer the series goes the better chance of getting back our leading scorer.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
According to Jody Hull on CHEX News, Matt Timms is back on the ice skating but not skating in practises yet with the team. He is still day-to-day and will need to get clearance from a doctor before returning. If he returns against Mississauga I assume then it would be after Game 3 or 4. The longer the series goes the better chance of getting back our leading scorer.

"Day to day" for about a month....

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Game 1 of Eastern Conference Final tonight. Not a lot of chatter on HF Boards about this series. With the Leaf, Sens and Habs all in the playoffs maybe that's where everyone is.

Anyway I am pumped for this game tonight. Most predictions I've heard have the Petes winning this series. In my opinion it comes down to the Petes defensive system which has been airtight to date against the high-end offensive talent of Mississauga. It helps that the Petes don't take a lot of penalties and they will need to maintain that.

The Petes three line depth is deeper than Mississauga but the fact that the Petes will be largely playing four defensemen (with Timms out) will be a major challenge for those guys (Spencer, Jenkins, Prophet and Black) to contain Tippett, McLeod, Watson, etc). Missy has some defensemen who can score too.

Against Niagara and Kingston the Petes limited their scoring opportunities and Wells was solid in net. But Missy is at another level so the Petes can anticipate more goals against. So there will be likely more pressure on the Petes to score more goals.

I would like to see Korostelev get a little more creative with the puck - he seems to want to make highlight reel goals most of the time. Lorentz a bit like that too. Need less of that going forward. Denoble also needs some goals to get back into form.

All in all it should be a very interesting series.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
It's hard to believe in the playoffs so far that Dylan Wells has more goals than Zach Gallant.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
It's hard to believe in the playoffs so far that Dylan Wells has more goals than Zach Gallant.

This may be true... but in no way should this be seen as a slight to Gallant's game. He has been rock solid on the PK and in the faceoff circle + finishes every check. (aaaand he's still at a point per game pace.)

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
This may be true... but in no way should this be seen as a slight to Gallant's game. He has been rock solid on the PK and in the faceoff circle + finishes every check. (aaaand he's still at a point per game pace.)

Yeah Gallant has been very good. Has had some assists on some key playoff goals and is a smart defensive-minded player as well.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Petes beat this game by speed..mcleod allowed to walk around all over the ice...wells was just average im afraid and for them to beat this team he has to be the best player. Terrible giveaways at times, PP was ok (had enough PP chances to win game though) 5on5 didnt generate hardly any good chances at all. Mancina was good but not really tested enough. Oh well werent gonna go 12 wins in a row anyways!!

freedom880

Jan 29, 2017
No disrespect but..

Petes beat this game by speed..mcleod allowed to walk around all over the ice...wells was just average im afraid and for them to beat this team he has to be the best player. Terrible giveaways at times, PP was ok (had enough PP chances to win game though) 5on5 didnt generate hardly any good chances at all. Mancina was good but not really tested enough. Oh well werent gonna go 12 wins in a row anyways!!

Petes had a great season..koodos to them and the fans that's have waited along time. But to say they let Mcleod skate all over the ice, maybe a bit premature to say in the least. Mcleod is a beast and I watched that for all 5 games versus the Generals.. very hard to contain no matter who was matched against him. Add that to the rest of a very talented Steelheads roster makes for a very hard uphill battle for the Petes. All the best.. hope your team can catch some breaks and some lucky bounces to compete the rest of this series.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Petes had a great season..koodos to them and the fans that's have waited along time. But to say they let Mcleod skate all over the ice, maybe a bit premature to say in the least. Mcleod is a beast and I watched that for all 5 games versus the Generals.. very hard to contain no matter who was matched against him. Add that to the rest of a very talented Steelheads roster makes for a very hard uphill battle for the Petes. All the best.. hope your team can catch some breaks and some lucky bounces to compete the rest of this series.

Premature? That doesn't make sense..You said the same thing just in a nicer way lol

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
The Petes will have to be quicker on some of the Steelheads forwards or this will be a short series. A number of times the Petes had a chance to gain control of a puck and weren't decisive or quick enough and Watson or Tippett was allowed to dance around. We can play more physical too and take space away better.

It's tough to beat the kind of skill that Missy has but the Petes will have to find a way to win Game 2. Hopefully Game 1 will be a learning curve for the Petes playing against stronger opposition. If we can extend the series to five or six games the top players on Missy might get worn down. They play a lot of minutes and the Petes tend to roll three if not four lines .

Wells lets in a few long shots so he will have to adjust as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad