Peterborough Petes 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
So the Petes had a stinker in Hamilton. And they had one in Mississauga a few weeks ago. Today they might get smoked in Erie.

You have to learn from mistakes and make adjustments. The Petes are good enough to bounce back - that they have shown this year.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
So the Petes had a stinker in Hamilton. And they had one in Mississauga a few weeks ago. Today they might get smoked in Erie.

You have to learn from mistakes and make adjustments. The Petes are good enough to bounce back - that they have shown this year.

Hounds fans have faith in you, cmon Petes!

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Well the Petes have chosen the wrong time of the year to go on a losing streak. They'l have til Wednesday to figure out a Plan B because other teams seem to have figured out our Plan A.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
hmmm unprepared again? no push back at all. Wells hasnt been his usual sharp self which puts us in a heap of trouble. Thought I'd see an effort today vs a top team but sure didnt.
In 2 games 14ga 3gf 73 shots against 36 shots for...trying to hold onto top spot may come down to game vs oshawa
lots of talent just has to be brought together

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The plus/minus totals have taken a beating the last 2 games:

Timms -6
Jenkins -5
Gallant -5
Korostelev -5
Lorentz -4

This is no time to panic. The prize is right in front of your nose.

Jackintheshwa

Jan 7, 2017
Ill repeat again....How about they are perhaps the best of a sorry lot that is the eastern conference this year and leave it at that. They are not an OHL contender. No team in the east is and todays score shows that again. They were 7-13 against the west this year. Not very promising.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Ill repeat again....How about they are perhaps the best of a sorry lot that is the eastern conference this year and leave it at that. They are not an OHL contender. No team in the east is and todays score shows that again. They were 7-13 against the west this year. Not very promising.

you dont need to repeat it at all actually. i dont think anyone is saying or has said on here that Petes are an OHL contender. we would just like to compete hard and maybe win the east regardless of the overall landscape and be competitive vs a west champ.

Jackintheshwa

Jan 7, 2017
a sample of some responses on this board....

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMG67 View Post

The Pete's are the 6th best team in the OHL. How can they expect to be sniffing the CHL Top 10?

For full season they can't be. For present time they probably should be. From December on does any team in the OHL have a better record than the Petes? Without going through every team, I'd bet Owen Sound/Erie/Peterborough have the three best records in that 3+ month time span. So is the CHL top ten strictly full season or is there an "at present moment" aspect to it.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Haha yup that's over zealous guess didn't see that one I think Petes fans are just so starved for any success some are going a tad overboard. I would just like to see a consistent effort for a long playoff run they can't help it if they are the best of the worst (if even that good) they may be the east representative so let's hope if it's them they make it competitive. I'd say that anyone of Erie Owen sound or knights would have a real chance at a memorial cup if they could all get in this year.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
a sample of some responses on this board....

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMG67 View Post

The Pete's are the 6th best team in the OHL. How can they expect to be sniffing the CHL Top 10?

For full season they can't be. For present time they probably should be. From December on does any team in the OHL have a better record than the Petes? Without going through every team, I'd bet Owen Sound/Erie/Peterborough have the three best records in that 3+ month time span. So is the CHL top ten strictly full season or is there an "at present moment" aspect to it.

Jackintheshwa you are looking for a bogeyman for some reason. Not too many Petes fans are strutting around bragging unreasonably about the Petes. Even the comment from a supposed Petes fan that you quote isn't unreasonable. Worse, the Petes have been mediocre to bad for ten years and this year when they are half-decent , you're pissing on the parade. And this from a Generals fan? Come on.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Petes are 20-9-1 since January 1st.

13 of those games were against the 5 Eastern teams below .500. They won 11 of those games.

I don't like referring to "padded" stats but the reality is the bottom five teams in the East are at best part of the bottom six in the league (Guelph added to that mix).

Kingston and Hamilton are decent teams but would struggle to make the playoffs in the West and since January 1st, the Petes are 4-5.

Now, I understand the Petes have strong wins against some of the top Western teams which is GREAT. But, if you really want to perform an analysis, you cannot just cherry pick a small handful of games agaisnt the top teams in the West and use those as the foundation of an arguement.

The Petes are a strong team. They are competitive and on any given night have the ability to beat any team. However, when the playoffs come around, they should roll through the first round and will probably play one of Kingston or Hamilton in the 2nd round. While teams like London, Erie, and SSM would wipe the ice with the likes of Kingston and HAmilton, the Petes will have to work hard to win that series.

So, we need to keep perspective on where the Petes sit in relation to the rest of the league. It is awesome that the PEtes have had a great season. Lord knows they deserve it. Their fans deserve it as well for sticking by them through some of the crap they have been swimming in the last 8 years or so.

I am a 67's fan so I will cheer for Ottawa of course BUT I am backing the Petes because I think they deserve to rep the rewards of not only having a good season but for being the one team that went out there and spent at the deadline to make a good push. I respect that.

EDIT:

Since January 1st, the Steelheads are 18-4-6.

Jackintheshwa

Jan 7, 2017

13 of those games were against the 5 Eastern teams below .500. They won 11 of those games.

I don't like referring to "padded" stats but the reality is the bottom five teams in the East are at best part of the bottom six in the league (Guelph added to that mix).

Kingston and Hamilton are decent teams but would struggle to make the playoffs in the West and since January 1st, the Petes are 4-5.

Now, I understand the Petes have strong wins against some of the top Western teams which is GREAT. But, if you really want to perform an analysis, you cannot just cherry pick a small handful of games agaisnt the top teams in the West and use those as the foundation of an arguement.

The Petes are a strong team. They are competitive and on any given night have the ability to beat any team. However, when the playoffs come around, they should roll through the first round and will probably play one of Kingston or Hamilton in the 2nd round. While teams like London, Erie, and SSM would wipe the ice with the likes of Kingston and HAmilton, the Petes will have to work hard to win that series.

So, we need to keep perspective on where the Petes sit in relation to the rest of the league. It is awesome that the PEtes have had a great season. Lord knows they deserve it. Their fans deserve it as well for sticking by them through some of the crap they have been swimming in the last 8 years or so.

I am a 67's fan so I will cheer for Ottawa of course BUT I am backing the Petes because I think they deserve to rep the rewards of not only having a good season but for being the one team that went out there and spent at the deadline to make a good push. I respect that.

EDIT:

Thanks OMG67. Voice of reason. Unless you blindly cheerlead and think the Petes are legit cup contenders, I guess your not welcome here to comment. I too hope the Petes much success in the playoffs as they have been average for so many years. The reality is though they are not an OHL contender. No eastern team is.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Thanks OMG67. Voice of reason. Unless you blindly cheerlead and think the Petes are legit cup contenders, I guess your not welcome here to comment. I too hope the Petes much success in the playoffs as they have been average for so many years. The reality is though they are not an OHL contender. No eastern team is.

An eastern conference team will be in the OHL final. That makes the east rep contenders. If Windsor wins the western conference ... the Petes odds are probably greater than the ottters

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON

Who is blindly cheerleading? The Petes are legit Cup contenders. They're in first place for Petes sake! That makes them very eligible to compete for the Cup. They are not favoured to win by any stretch and may not even get out of the first round the way they're playing lately.

You are welcome to comment here. But you are the one calling out Petes fans for something I don't see. I have yet to see any post by a Petes fan that was over the top and planning the Mem Cup parade route. Petes fans are a pretty humble lot and if they are a little excited about their team than good on them.

By all means back up your statement and copy and paste this "blind cheerleading".

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON

EDIT:

The games that the Petes have won in the 2nd half of the season have often been by one goal margin and usually after a strong 3rd period comeback. Most Petes fans have expressed worry that they don't play a full game, let too many shots on their net and can be outplayed by weak teams for spells.

With Korostelev now back from an extended injury the team is at least partly in reset mode, getting forward lines back on track. The last two losses show a lack of energy which is also concerning. I would be happy to play Smith, the backup goalie tomorrow in Ottawa and give Wells some rest.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
The only way an Eastern team will beat a Western team in the final this year is if the Eastern team wins out quickly and the Western team goes through a few long hard playoff battles before the finals. That would be the only scenario. The Petes are contenders to get out of the East but they (and any Eastern team) would need the stars to align to beat the Western winner.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Anything short of a major bounce back game tomorrow afternoon would be a dissapointment... back to back wins Wednesday/Thursday and we clinch first. Lets get it done boys

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Petes trivia question:

Which current Petes goalie has the most career OHL shutouts?

Hint: It's not Dylan Wells.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Petes trivia question:

Hint: It's not Dylan Wells.[/QU

Scott Smith just got one. This 2-0 win is more like the typical Petes game where they find a way to win in spite of a average effort. Generally they played better than the last 2 games and Lazarev made some incredible saves but this Petes team can't seem to find a killer instinct to finish teams off.

Where was Black and Fraser? The interview in 1st period intermission - the Petes player was introduced as Brandon Prophet but it was McNamara standing there answering the questions . "as a veteran overager what role do you play etc" Well McNamara went ahead and answered the questions lol.

McNamara played okay the few shifts I saw him - he did take a big hit from Barron which was a 2 minute penalty and could have been more since the 16 year old didn't even have the puck.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Petes trivia question:

Hint: It's not Dylan Wells.[/QU

Scott Smith just got one. This 2-0 win is more like the typical Petes game where they find a way to win in spite of a average effort. Generally they played better than the last 2 games and Lazarev made some incredible saves but this Petes team can't seem to find a killer instinct to finish teams off.

Where was Black and Fraser? The interview in 1st period intermission - the Petes player was introduced as Brandon Prophet but it was McNamara standing there answering the questions . "as a veteran overager what role do you play etc" Well McNamara went ahead and answered the questions lol.

McNamara played okay the few shifts I saw him - he did take a big hit from Barron which was a 2 minute penalty and could have been more since the 16 year old didn't even have the puck.

Black is injured.

Fraser is suspended.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Me and candellacrew1989 are once again making the trip tonight.. Last time we played we chased wells from goal.. Hasnt seen the petes schedule since then.. How have they done since that game last week.. Not very often have i seen Wells chased from net was it more of just a bad game for him?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Me and candellacrew1989 are once again making the trip tonight.. Last time we played we chased wells from goal.. Hasnt seen the petes schedule since then.. How have they done since that game last week.. Not very often have i seen Wells chased from net was it more of just a bad game for him?

We won yesterday 2-0 but still looking for that true dominant performance we know they're capable of.

What'd ya say we just play to a 2-2 tie into OT, both get a point and then start things for real from then? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad