Peterborough Petes 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
OMG67 - I love this forum and talking about the Petes so I welcome your comments. You have to admit that you're taking a risk (as a few others have here) as a non-Petes fan making critical comments about the Petes and saying the series is over after Game Two. You may very well be correct about those things and I don't necessarily disagree with you.

The other context is that the Petes have been mediocre (give or take) for about ten years and this fan-base has stuck around through it. So for anyone to come here with a "I told you so" attitude (my words not yours) about the Petes being over-achievers or over-rated (again my words) is frankly, a bit messed up.

Also you describe Niagara and Kingston as poor teams - a bit disrespectful again but not that big a deal -you were trying to make a point.

Mind you this isn't a Sunday afternoon book club either and we should be able to take criticism of our team.

Anyway maybe the Petes will use your posts and others as a motivating tool for the rest of the series!

Cheers and keep the posts coming.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG67 - I love this forum and talking about the Petes so I welcome your comments. You have to admit that you're taking a risk (as a few others have here) as a non-Petes fan making critical comments about the Petes and saying the series is over after Game four. You may very well be correct about those things and I don't necessarily disagree with you.

The other context is that the Petes have been mediocre (give or take) for about ten years and this fan-base has stuck around through it. So for anyone to come here with a "I told you so" attitude (my words not yours) about the Petes being over-achievers or over-rated (again my words) is frankly, a bit messed up.

Mind you this isn't a Sunday afternoon book club either and we should be able to take criticism of our team.

Anyway maybe the Petes will use your posts and others as a motivating tool for the rest of the series!

Cheers and keep the posts coming.

Hey, I get it. But a fan base also needs to be realistic and be open for other comments and opinions provided there is a basis for those opinions.

In response to my opinion of this series being over, all I get back is "The Petes haven't played their game yet." Really? That isn't good enough. Give me a real reason. Because what I can tell you is teams that are better usually negate the oppositions ability to "play their game."

The only people over rating the Petes are their fans. That is normal to a certain respect. The Generals fans did the exact same thing. From what I understand the Generals owner vastly over rated his club and is causing some issues behind the scenes right now. The Generals played well above their heads int he first half. Then they made the two trades and started to play to their real potential. Tell that to a generals fan and they will call you bad names! IT is what it is.

I am a 67's fan. I was on "our" forum at the beginning of the year making comments regarding our young defense and how the decision to go that way will be a disaster. Of course some of the hard core fans disagreed. Then when they saw the results, they started to agree and look where the 67's finished.

I call it like I see it. I've always done that. When the 67's went up against the Steelheads my prediction was Steelheads in FOUR. Lazarev had one game where he was out of his mind ridiculous and another where he was very good and their goaltending gave up 6 goals (I think). The 67's managed to steal 2 games.

Personally, I was not impressed by what the Petes did this year when I look at it as Team A playing the rest of the league as a solid team. I am impressed witht he Petes as a team that has been at the bottom of the league cycling through coaches and management, a team that has had suspect building issues and is or was looking for new ownership. Through all of those struggles, the PEtes have managed to put together a solid season. But, just because a team is a Cinderella story doesn't mean I need to believe in Fairy Tales either.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
In a game that they pretty much had to win most of the forward group were unwilling to pay the price to be to pucks first, finish checks or create any offence. Without Wells this thing would have been a 4 or 5-1 game minimum. JA just will not use his speed and wont try to win battles big circles no stops and starts it just seeps through the whole team. If he can do it why can't I ? I think the coach there has got some probs because you see it in other players now. I watched a lot of gthl games and some of these guys have lost their compete and battle like mentality. If your star isn't willing to do the little stuff then it's really tough to motivate the others. Just what I see here for Petes. Missy is playing very very well their d are moving puck well and forwards have all day in neutral and offensive zones to make plays and they sure are! You can see they are a single unit all in same page on ice and on bench. Petes way outmatched at this point.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Tough loss last night without a doubt.... regardless, I am very proud of what they accomplished this season. Best Petes team in a decade and they should be strong again next season.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
In a game that they pretty much had to win most of the forward group were unwilling to pay the price to be to pucks first, finish checks or create any offence. Without Wells this thing would have been a 4 or 5-1 game minimum. JA just will not use his speed and wont try to win battles big circles no stops and starts it just seeps through the whole team. If he can do it why can't I ? I think the coach there has got some probs because you see it in other players now. I watched a lot of gthl games and some of these guys have lost their compete and battle like mentality. If your star isn't willing to do the little stuff then it's really tough to motivate the others. Just what I see here for Petes. Missy is playing very very well their d are moving puck well and forwards have all day in neutral and offensive zones to make plays and they sure are! You can see they are a single unit all in same page on ice and on bench. Petes way outmatched at this point.

Agree. Ang has low-balled this series with his effort as have a few others. Wouldn't be surprised if some guys are hurt the way they are playing. Credit to Mississauga as they are playing very good hockey. The Petes have no answer even though the game could have gone either way really thanks to Wells.

I don't know how Mississauga can keep playing their first two lines so much - you'd think they would pay the price for that - unfortunately the Petes have not worn them down.

Game 4 has to be a different strategy for the Petes. I'd like to see the Petes roll four lines, six defensemen and pick up the pace with short shifts and try and wear down the Steelheads. Why not try it? Sure there would line mis-matches but the in the long run might work in the Petes favour. It might force Missy to play their 3rd and 4th line too.

Wouldn't mind seeing Fraser play forward as well and bring McNamara up for 6th defenceman.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Hey, I get it. But a fan base also needs to be realistic and be open for other comments and opinions provided there is a basis for those opinions.

In response to my opinion of this series being over, all I get back is "The Petes haven't played their game yet." Really? That isn't good enough. Give me a real reason. Because what I can tell you is teams that are better usually negate the oppositions ability to "play their game."

The only people over rating the Petes are their fans. That is normal to a certain respect. The Generals fans did the exact same thing. From what I understand the Generals owner vastly over rated his club and is causing some issues behind the scenes right now. The Generals played well above their heads int he first half. Then they made the two trades and started to play to their real potential. Tell that to a generals fan and they will call you bad names! IT is what it is.

I am a 67's fan. I was on "our" forum at the beginning of the year making comments regarding our young defense and how the decision to go that way will be a disaster. Of course some of the hard core fans disagreed. Then when they saw the results, they started to agree and look where the 67's finished.

I call it like I see it. I've always done that. When the 67's went up against the Steelheads my prediction was Steelheads in FOUR. Lazarev had one game where he was out of his mind ridiculous and another where he was very good and their goaltending gave up 6 goals (I think). The 67's managed to steal 2 games.

Personally, I was not impressed by what the Petes did this year when I look at it as Team A playing the rest of the league as a solid team. I am impressed witht he Petes as a team that has been at the bottom of the league cycling through coaches and management, a team that has had suspect building issues and is or was looking for new ownership. Through all of those struggles, the PEtes have managed to put together a solid season. But, just because a team is a Cinderella story doesn't mean I need to believe in Fairy Tales either.

OMG as much as I want to disagree with you as I am a big Petes fan formerly of the city I totally agree with what you are saying. Petes lived on scoring and geat goaltending all year in a weak division. This works in regular season but not in playoffs when things are much tighter. This is where a true system comes into play. Ive been watching this team for many many years and in this coaching era ive noticed that their style has never changed at all. Cant get pucks out, poor defensive coverage and they play a way to passive forecheck. Ive thought about this alot and for them to go to the next level i believe they need to change the HC. They have very talented forwards and a decent d core with outstanding goaltending (wells and jones in the waiting voted best goalie prospect in tier 2) thats a recipe for a team that should be in every game going forward. I dont see accountability for poor play on the bench and any passion which then becomes your teams makeup. Likely a pipe dream but other than talent from good drafts (draft position has alot to do with that) their game plans are poor and coverage a disaster and hasnt changed. Sorry but I think they need a new idea and HC

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
Quite the game last night, Petes played well enough to win. But this talk about injuries and effort is bs to me. The Petes are playing hard, they're just being out played. If you had a timer to calculate how long the Steelheads defensemen (Saarijaarvi, Moverare, Leblanc and Hague/ Not Gibson or Osmanski) had the puck on their sticks last night it would be remarkable. They control the puck, they control the play and they generate the offense for those big guns. Petes are defending most of the game, and its a tough way to play. To me they have the best top 4 in the OHL, and they've been there all year. Petes had a few chances to win last in OT, unfortunately for them they fell short, could have made it a fun series.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Quite the game last night, Petes played well enough to win. But this talk about injuries and effort is bs to me. The Petes are playing hard, they're just being out played. If you had a timer to calculate how long the Steelheads defensemen (Saarijaarvi, Moverare, Leblanc and Hague/ Not Gibson or Osmanski) had the puck on their sticks last night it would be remarkable. They control the puck, they control the play and they generate the offense for those big guns. Petes are defending most of the game, and its a tough way to play. To me they have the best top 4 in the OHL, and they've been there all year. Petes had a few chances to win last in OT, unfortunately for them they fell short, could have made it a fun series.

I disagree that Petes played well enough to win,,,although thats a kind thing to say. Wells kept them in it for sure. The fish d are very good but with no pressure at all forcing them to make plays quicker petes are making them look awesome, they end up backing up actually skating backwards once missy gets possession...absolutely crazy game plan to me with so much skill on missy. they did have some chances in OT but it would have been a massive steal and really didnt deserve to win that game at all. its a passive system they are playing and with the skill on missy it wont and hasnt worked at all.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
I disagree that Petes played well enough to win,,,although thats a kind thing to say. Wells kept them in it for sure. The fish d are very good but with no pressure at all forcing them to make plays quicker petes are making them look awesome, they end up backing up actually skating backwards once missy gets possession...absolutely crazy game plan to me with so much skill on missy. they did have some chances in OT but it would have been a massive steal and really didnt deserve to win that game at all. its a passive system they are playing and with the skill on missy it wont and hasnt worked at all.

Well they played well enough to win because they had a few chances to win in OT. You can see they miss Timms, small puck-moving d-man, move the puck up ice, help the PP. Sucks he's out for the Petes, they are missing some offensive punch from their back-end, only seems to be Jenkins getting some good chances. Gotta believe Missy will come out hard in Game 4 to win it at home.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG as much as I want to disagree with you as I am a big Petes fan formerly of the city I totally agree with what you are saying. Petes lived on scoring and geat goaltending all year in a weak division. This works in regular season but not in playoffs when things are much tighter. This is where a true system comes into play. Ive been watching this team for many many years and in this coaching era ive noticed that their style has never changed at all. Cant get pucks out, poor defensive coverage and they play a way to passive forecheck. Ive thought about this alot and for them to go to the next level i believe they need to change the HC. They have very talented forwards and a decent d core with outstanding goaltending (wells and jones in the waiting voted best goalie prospect in tier 2) thats a recipe for a team that should be in every game going forward. I dont see accountability for poor play on the bench and any passion which then becomes your teams makeup. Likely a pipe dream but other than talent from good drafts (draft position has alot to do with that) their game plans are poor and coverage a disaster and hasnt changed. Sorry but I think they need a new idea and HC

The real problem is the imbalance between the conferences. We can sit here all year and talk about it but when a team wins as many games as the Petes won from December 1st onward, it creates a sense of confidence. That sense can overtake reality. The reality is the Petes beat a lot of mediocre to poor teams. They aren't going through a grinder to get results. What changes do you need to make when you are winning all the time?

Perspective can be distorted. I heard the same thing out of Oshawa after the Steelheads took them out. There are people that become over confident based on regular season results.

I am not sure this is a coaching issue as you suggest. I think the Petes suffered being in a weak conference where they weren't tested enough to find their weaknesses. The great teams need to be tested to improve. From the deadline on, there were only six teams for the Petes to play that could test them and none of them are in their division. When you factor in players gone to WJHC and other travel related issues and 3 in 3's, sometimes even when you play the better teams you aren't getting them at their best. So, it is tough to create that measuring stick in this league when there is a significant imbalance in talent.

TPT Petes

Apr 6, 2017
It's definitely painful listening to this game. Being completely outclassed in every facet.I don't like losing but if they're gonna i'd at least like to see a little pushback. They've been a fairly resiliant team all year in not being out of games too often. This series they've shown nothing. Never really held the play other than a couple shifts in game one...and that was short lived. Before the series everyone was trying to brush off the 10-1 thrashing like it didn't mean anything...I certainly didn't think it meant much either. Didn't see that one coming.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It's definitely painful listening to this game. Being completely outclassed in every facet.I don't like losing but if they're gonna i'd at least like to see a little pushback. They've been a fairly resiliant team all year in not being out of games too often. This series they've shown nothing. Never really held the play other than a couple shifts in game one...and that was short lived. Before the series everyone was trying to brush off the 10-1 thrashing like it didn't mean anything...I certainly didn't think it meant much either. Didn't see that one coming.

Meh. Is it disappointing the Petes lost in 4 straight? Absolutely. But, there are 16 other teams in the OHL that didn't make it as far as Peterborough did. It sucks tonight but tomorrow the silver lining comes out and you will start to feel much differently.

The Steelheads are proving they are the class of the conference and have been on an upward trajectory since the start of January. I think they've proven they may be a tough opponent for the team coming out of the West. I don't think it will be the runover that many in the West have said the final will be.

The Petes may not be a championship level team but they were damn solid and Mississauga ran right through them. That wasn't because the Petes suck, it was because the Steelhead were that good.

Welcome back to respectability Peterborough. I hope my 67's join you sometime soon because being a 67's fan really sucks right now.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Well it ended up being the worst case scenario for the Petes. Kinda embarrasing really in the end. I turned the game off at 5-0. I couldn't stand the gloating Missy announcers anymore.

A great year overall though. A reward for the Petes fans who have been patient for so long.

Losing Timms didn't help. A freak injury that in the end would cost the Petes dearly. And then Timleck got hurt early in this series. Tonight the backup goalie gets a stray puck in the face and is hurt. The stray puck? A result of another errant pass by the Petes. Mancina beats his former team with 2 straight shutouts. Salt in wound.

My biggest complaint is that the Petes didn't much change their game plan to adjust. The Steelheads did more of the things that worked for them (like entering the Petes zone untouched repeatedly) and the Petes didn't respond. That's on the Coaches imo.

Anyway a big congrats to the Petes this year on an amazing year. The coaches did a great job overall. Good luck to Lorentz, Jenkins and Prophet. Who knows if Spencer or Coyle will be back.

Next year will be interesting.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Well it ended up being the worst case scenario for the Petes. Kinda embarrasing really in the end. I turned the game off at 5-0. I couldn't stand the gloating Missy announcers anymore.

A great year overall though. A reward for the Petes fans who have been patient for so long.

Losing Timms didn't help. A freak injury that in the end would cost the Petes dearly. And then Timleck got hurt early in this series. Tonight the backup goalie gets a stray puck in the face and is hurt. The stray puck? A result of another errant pass by the Petes. Mancina beats his former team with 2 straight shutouts. Salt in wound.

My biggest complaint is that the Petes didn't much change their game plan to adjust. The Steelheads did more of the things that worked for them (like entering the Petes zone untouched repeatedly) and the Petes didn't respond. That's on the Coaches imo.

Anyway a big congrats to the Petes this year on an amazing year. The coaches did a great job overall. Good luck to Lorentz, Jenkins and Prophet. Who knows if Spencer or Coyle will be back.

Next year will be interesting.

Yup that's what I was saying earlier no changing game plan allowing 40+ shots per game even vs bottom teams game after game shows a poor defensive system. Lines changed in game 4 down 3 games -0 a tad late. It may be just me but I like a coach who shows emotion on bench a bit gives his guys a bite when needed. From what I've heard the HC is a great person maybe too nice no accountability from what is we. I was at gm 4 with my Petes jersey on and a guy says to me is JA really an NHL pick? On the positive god to see SDA, Chisholm and gogo get ice this year. Not sure I'd keep svboda as a European he needs to contribute offensively and I don't se it in his game. Petes will be ok next year too should be in mix.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Yup that's what I was saying earlier no changing game plan allowing 40+ shots per game even vs bottom teams game after game shows a poor defensive system. Lines changed in game 4 down 3 games -0 a tad late. It may be just me but I like a coach who shows emotion on bench a bit gives his guys a bite when needed. From what I've heard the HC is a great person maybe too nice no accountability from what is we. I was at gm 4 with my Petes jersey on and a guy says to me is JA really an NHL pick? On the positive god to see SDA, Chisholm and gogo get ice this year. Not sure I'd keep svboda as a European he needs to contribute offensively and I don't se it in his game. Petes will be ok next year too should be in mix.

Found myself going old school and wondering why someone wasn't sent out (in any of the games) to make a big hit or drop the gloves. Might have sparked something. Maybe it wouldn't have worked. The Petes just lacked the energy or the pace to keep up. They looked tired but they had played two short 4 game series prior. Missy's excellent defensive play limited space for Ang, Korostelev, Lorentz, etc. Guys who looked fast during the year looked slow in this series.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Guys who looked fast during the year looked slow in this series.

It's all relative to who you are playing. Missy is a much faster, more skilled team. The way they handled Peterborough, it makes me wonder if they could give whoever comes out of the west a battle. However Erie easily handled them back to back late in the season. Likely outcome - same as Niagara last year. West will win in 4 or 5 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad