Olympics: Peter Forsberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Excuse for what? I don't even follow the Olympics and couldn't care less if Sweden finish at last place. I went into this thread because Forsberg looks funny in glasses.

For losing? you just finished saying that after all.

You're just a small country going against Big bad Canada.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
For losing? you just finished saying that after all.

You're just a small country going against Big bad Canada.

You must have felt really good about yourself when Team Canada beat Sweden in the 2014 Olympics with Bäckström, H. Sedin and Zetterberg (Sweden's top 3 centers) not playing. It's almost like you (yes, you personally) slayed a dragon.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
jj cale is right about that though. You guys keep bringing up that hit on Forsberg again and again and it has been 14 years non-stop. Time to let it go.

Or the refs, who did a great job, in the 2014 final, or missing Zetterberg, Sedin and Backstrom in 2014. I've never seen an American complain about the refs being Canadian in 2002 or 2010, and I've seen Canadians complain far less about missing Sakic and Kariya in 1998 or Lemieux/MacInnis/Francis/Roy/Bourque/Kariya at the 1996 World Cup. Perhaps North Americans cannot understand the sophisticated nuance of Swedish complaints.

Edit: How fortuitous that the post above me, made while I was making this post, features a complaint about Sweden missing Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr. I mean Backstrom, Zetterberg and Sedin.

That's the passive-aggressive bit I'm talking about; saying we have a "loser mentality" implies that we're not successful, which we are.

It implies that Sweden has an ineffective mentality for hockey and isn't as successful as its talent indicates it should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Forsberg was a winner, i don't question that, he also lost plenty times too though. He's always been running his mouth, right back to his days in junior where he said Sweden was going to beat Canada and that they weren't very good. He ended up getting sand kicked in his face though and it wouldn't be the last time.

But Peter being a great competitor and player has nothing to do with something being rotten to the core in terms of a victim mentality in Swedish hockey at the moment, but you go ahead and keep up the delusion, you will and are the loser from the get go by doing that.
Ok, you are posting about Swedes and Swedish hockey, out of mercy, you want to help Swedish hockey get better?.. , thanks for the concern
Choose to ignore whats going on if you wish, thats your guys call.

I will do you all a favor then, I have said my peace on this and I won't comment on it anymore here.

I will just keep watching this roll on with each successive tournament and see how it all pans out.

It's going to be interesting.
I would have respected your opinion hadn't I known that it stems from the last wjc when we all saw the flopping, diving Canadians embelleshing themselves to a wjc-gold. I know its tough for you, but that is what happened and some Swedish players and countless people here pointed that out, and you are still bitter that we did not sweep it all under a rug and continued pretending Canada won fair and square like we always are supposed to do. You are doing alot of pretending you people over there in Nova Scotia and such, you have a sports-culture of cheating, from Ben Johnson to Matt Cooke. A culture premiering psychopats, keep on pretending it aint so

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Ok, you are posting about Swedes and Swedish hockey, out of mercy, you want to help Swedish hockey get better?.. , thanks for the concern

I would have respected your opinion hadn't I known that it stems from the last wjc when we all saw the flopping, diving Canadians embelleshing themselves to a wjc-gold. I know its tough for you, but that is what happened and some Swedish players and countless people here pointed that out, and you are still bitter that we did not sweep it all under a rug and continued pretending Canada won fair and square like we always are supposed to do. You are doing alot of pretending you people over there in Nova Scotia and such, you have a sports-culture of cheating, from Ben Johnson to Matt Cooke. A culture premiering psychopats, keep on pretending it aint so
Exactly, canadians remembered markstrom flopping at wjc for years but when they flopped themselves at this years wjc it was a non issue.

I have been to canada, even dated a girl there and the canadian people are superfriendly. But when it comes to some hockeyfans on this board though, not so much.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Or the refs, who did a great job, in the 2014 final, or missing Zetterberg, Sedin and Backstrom in 2014. I've never seen an American complain about the refs being Canadian in 2002 or 2010, and I've seen Canadians complain far less about missing Sakic and Kariya in 1998 or Lemieux/MacInnis/Francis/Roy/Bourque/Kariya at the 1996 World Cup. Perhaps North Americans cannot understand the sophisticated nuance of Swedish complaints.

I know you hang out on the history board where I've seen several posters whine endlessly about Gary Suter's cheap shots on Gretzky and Kariya.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I know you hang out on the history board where I've seen several posters whine endlessly about Gary Suter's cheap shots on Gretzky and Kariya.

Yes, primarily for lowering the level of their careers through extremely dirty hits as those players missed some international hockey and then proceeded to never play as well again. Pretty different than the Swedish situation in 2014 (though what happened with Backstrom was garbage) when no one was physically targeted or had lasting effects and the implication isn't that the opposition was so lucky. How many times have you heard the players that Canada was missing at the 1996 World Cup brought up, despite those players being far better than what Sweden was missing in 2014? How many times do Swedes even acknowledge in their whining that Canada was without Stamkos and Tavares (both of whom were playing better in 2014 than any of the Swedish forwards) in 2014? I haven't seen Russians complain nearly as much about the load of players missing in 1998 either. Canada doesn't try to paint USA as a bunch of thugs based on Suter's actions, which were beyond what any Canadian ever did to a Swedish player.

Once again though, I suppose there is sophisticated nuance at play that North Americans can't comprehend. It can't be simple whining. That would be too obvious.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

Edit: How fortuitous that the post above me, made while I was making this post, features a complaint about Sweden missing Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr. I mean Backstrom, Zetterberg and Sedin.

It implies that Sweden has an ineffective mentality for hockey and isn't as successful as its talent indicates it should be.

If Sweden miss 3 of there best and Canada do the same. Canada will still be the better team and should win every time based on talent. If you dont its a big fail. So not winning for Sweden aint nothing about mentality its just like it should be based on talent.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Yes, primarily for lowering the level of their careers through extremely dirty hits as those players missed some international hockey and then proceeded to never play as well again. Pretty different than the Swedish situation in 2014 (though what happened with Backstrom was garbage) when no one was physically targeted or had lasting effects and the implication isn't that the opposition was so lucky. How many times have you heard the players that Canada was missing at the 1996 World Cup brought up, despite those players being far better than what Sweden was missing in 2014? How many times do Swedes even acknowledge in their whining that Canada was without Stamkos and Tavares (both of whom were playing better in 2014 than any of the Swedish forwards) in 2014? I haven't seen Russians complain nearly as much about the load of players missing in 1998 either. Canada doesn't try to paint USA as a bunch of thugs based on Suter's actions, which were beyond what any Canadian ever did to a Swedish player.

Once again though, I suppose there is sophisticated nuance at play that North Americans can't comprehend. It can't be simple whining. That would be too obvious.

Meh, our first line center played in SHL and you expect us to acknowledge missing you guys were missing Tavares and Stamkos.

I've always acknowleded that Canada played better and had the better team, but perhaps Canadians should acknowledge they beat a team that had lost their top 3 centres and was rightfully bummed out since we didn't have the forward core to even compete with the Canadian team. It's beyond me how you can't understand why we were bummed out about that.

But once again I'm sure you'd rather explain to me how my English grammar is bad.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

I don't even think Sweden would have had a chance in 2014 if H. Sedin, Zetterberg and Bäckström had played. If all of them had played that game. Zetterberg and H. Sedin were already a bit past their primes and Bäckström has never been a big game player. Canada winning against that team is at the same level as if Sweden would have won against Switzerland.

1996 World Cup semi finals, for instance, was a different ball game. Those teams were pretty evenly matched in talent and it was high-quality best-on-best hockey. Forsberg was styling all over Canada and Garpenlöv hit the post, but they lost in OT. It happens. I certainly haven't heard anyone whine about it ever. People here were much more bitter when we lost to Finland in 1998 and to Belarus in 2002. Everything isn't about Canada.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Who cares about Nhl Cups aka Canada Cups aka World Cups. That's like the last thing people should talk about it's just a shitty totally useless thing.

And best on best certainly wasn't 1996 with Canada missing 6-7 key players.

1972 Czech the world champs were absent and Canada missed Hull Orretc.Soviet missed Kharlamov late
1974 Canada has the wha stars
1976 Soviets sent a B team
1984 Soviets were missing 2-3 of their best players
1991 Czech Ussr collapse

So that leaves real best on best in 1979 1981 1987 maybe.

Each olympics with nhl some key guys were missing and the tournament format was terrible so that 3/5 times Russia didn't even play Canada!

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I don't even think Sweden would have had a chance in 2014 if H. Sedin, Zetterberg and Bäckström had played. If all of them had played that game. Zetterberg and H. Sedin were already a bit past their primes and Bäckström has never been a big game player. Canada winning against that team is at the same level as if Sweden would have won against Switzerland.

1996 World Cup semi finals, for instance, was a different ball game. Those teams were pretty evenly matched in talent and it was high-quality best-on-best hockey. Forsberg was styling all over Canada and Garpenlöv hit the post, but they lost in OT. It happens. I certainly haven't heard anyone whine about it ever. People here were much more bitter when we lost to Finland in 1998 and to Belarus in 2002. Everything isn't about Canada.
Yhea loosing to Finland that realy hurts.... thats a hurt you cant just walk off.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Meh, our first line center played in SHL and you expect us to acknowledge missing you guys were missing Tavares and Stamkos.

I've always acknowleded that Canada played better and had the better team, but perhaps Canadians should acknowledge they beat a team that had lost their top 3 centres and was rightfully bummed out since we didn't have the forward core to even compete with the Canadian team. It's beyond me how you can't understand why we were bummed out about that.

But once again I'm sure you'd rather explain to me how my English grammar is bad.

As far as I know Canadians are aware of it. In an ideal world all of the injured players would have been there, and the joke that happened with Backstrom wouldn't have happened. I understand why Swedes would be "bummed" about it, just as fans of any nation are unhappy when some top players are missing. I am noting that it seems that Swedish fans complain about this very often without admitting that Canada itself was missing two players of similar (actually greater in 2014) quality. I can see that it hurts Sweden more than it does Canada, but that is always the case. As I said though, I am more noting that other countries have been in worse situations before and lost, and yet they don't bring it up nearly as much. Part of that is that the Swedish loss is so recent, but I don't remember Canadians complaining nearly as much in 1996 despite far more losses. Same for the Russians post-1998.

I'm not talking about Swedes complaining about 1996. I am talking about Canadians missing Lemieux, Bourque, MacInnis, Francis, Kariya (and Hull being key to the American team despite being born and primarily raised in Canada) and still not bringing up these losses as often as Swedish fans bring up the holy trinity of Backstrom, Zetterberg and Sedin. Canadians whine about hockey and other things all the time, but the Swedish fixation on those three sticks out to me when other countries have dealt with worse and said much less.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
As far as I know Canadians are aware of it. In an ideal world all of the injured players would have been there, and the joke that happened with Backstrom wouldn't have happened. I understand why Swedes would be "bummed" about it, just as fans of any nation are unhappy when some top players are missing. I am noting that it seems that Swedish fans complain about this very often without admitting that Canada itself was missing two players of similar (actually greater in 2014) quality. I can see that it hurts Sweden more than it does Canada, but that is always the case. As I said though, I am more noting that other countries have been in worse situations before and lost, and yet they don't bring it up nearly as much. Part of that is that the Swedish loss is so recent, but I don't remember Canadians complaining nearly as much in 1996 despite far more losses. Same for the Russians post-1998.

I'm not talking about Swedes complaining about 1996. I am talking about Canadians missing Lemieux, Bourque, MacInnis, Francis, Kariya (and Hull being key to the American team despite being born and primarily raised in Canada) and still not bringing up these losses as often as Swedish fans bring up the holy trinity of Backstrom, Zetterberg and Sedin. Canadians whine about hockey and other things all the time, but the Swedish fixation on those three sticks out to me when other countries have dealt with worse and said much less.
Im a Swede and most of the time i dont remember last years win or loss. I remember the backstrom incidident beacuse i was so close before the game. Would probably not make any diffrece Canada was crazy good and diciplined thst game. But thats not a loosing mentality thats just one team waaaay better than the other no no mat what.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Like it was said in 1996 Canada missed lots of players even though they played at home.

The "best on best" thing is a myth of revisionist history.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Im a Swede and most of the time i dont remember last years win or loss. I remember the backstrom incidident beacuse i was so close before the game. Would probably not make any diffrece Canada was crazy good and diciplined thst game. But thats not a loosing mentality thats just one team waaaay better than the other no no mat what.

I am not saying that Sweden lost that game due to a "loser mentality". I am aware that Canada had a much better roster. I do note that Sweden tends to underperform though, particularly at the junior level. Whether that is mentality is only speculation. I will give an example to show my point somewhat.

I expect that many with regard this as crazy, but I do think that one of Canada's biggest strengths in hockey is (or at least was) not making excuses in hockey. One of the best things that ever happened to Canada in hockey was the 1998 hockey summit when changes were made to the way that Canada developed players. What brought that on? Mainly, that Canada lost in the 1996 World Cup, the 1998 Olympics and the 1998 WJC. People were upset about those losses, and even though they were aware of the missing players (Lemieux/MacInnis/Bourque/Francis/Kariya in 1996, Kariya/Sakic/arguably Lemieux in 1998, Thornton/Marleau/Phillips/Devereaux/Morris at the WJC) the focus was on the reality that Canada lost. People cited Hasek for the 1998 Olympic loss (which is an exaggeration) but the focus was on why Canada was even in position to allow that to happen. No one was content to say that second in 1996 was fine due to the missing players, or losing the semifinal in a shootout was fine in 1998 because of the missing players, or losing the 1998 WJC was fine because Canada had just won five in a row or seven of the last eight and some players were missing. Changes were made because Canada lost.

Would Sweden make changes after what seemed like decent results? Would people demand changes? I don't know. Obviously expectations are different in Canada and in Sweden (and I know that Sweden had a summit of its own in the 2000s after a long run of bad results), but Canada focused more on the loss than on who was missing. To be fair I never noticed Swedish fans to be particularly focused on making an excuse (either explicitly or implicitly) because of who was missing prior to 2014. I also thought that Forsberg's comments in 2014 (whining about the refs before the game was even played) were a good sign for Canada. This is all just observation of course.

Last edited:

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Peter Forsberg has always been a thorn in canadas side. It is because he was a swede that dared to challenge them. He is one of the best players i ever seen. Though he was phycially abused and needed 30+ surgeries.

Canada always underrate him though, calling him overrated even though he was a magician on the ice.

Thats why jj cale is a crybaby because forsberg hurt his canadian hockey heart.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
I am not saying that Sweden lost that game due to a "loser mentality". I am aware that Canada had a much better roster. I do note that Sweden tends to underperform though, particularly at the junior level. Whether that is mentality is only speculation. I will give an example to show my point somewhat.

I expect that many with regard this as crazy, but I do think that one of Canada's biggest strengths in hockey is (or at least was) not making excuses in hockey. One of the best things that ever happened to Canada in hockey was the 1998 hockey summit when changes were made to the way that Canada developed players. What brought that on? Mainly, that Canada lost in the 1996 World Cup, the 1998 Olympics and the 1998 WJC. People were upset about those losses, and even though they were aware of the missing players (Lemieux/MacInnis/Bourque/Francis/Kariya in 1996, Kariya/Sakic/arguably Lemieux in 1998, Thornton/Marleau/Phillips/Devereaux/Morris at the WJC) the focus was on the reality that Canada lost. People cited Hasek for the 1998 Olympic loss (which is an exaggeration) but the focus was on why Canada was even in position to allow that to happen. No one was content to say that second in 1996 was fine due to the missing players, or losing the semifinal in a shootout was fine in 1998 because of the missing players, or losing the 1998 WJC was fine because Canada had just won five in a row or seven of the last eight and some players were missing. Changes were made because Canada lost.

Would Sweden make changes after what seemed like decent results? Would people demand changes? I don't know. Obviously expectations are different in Canada and in Sweden (and I know that Sweden had a summit of its own in the 2000s after a long run of bad results), but Canada focused more on the loss than on who was missing. To be fair I never noticed Swedish fans to be particularly focused on making an excuse (either explicitly or implicitly) because of who was missing prior to 2014. I also thought that Forsberg's comments in 2014 (whining about the refs before the game was even played) were a good sign for Canada. This is all just observation of course.
You know, you are talking about the reigning world champions in mens hockey 2017 now.. Who did they beat in that finals again? What is your excuse? Quit reaching..

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You know, you are talking about the reigning world champions in mens hockey 2017 now.. Who did they beat in that finals again? What is your excuse? Quit reaching..

This is in parody, I hope. This post may be even funnier than the one detailing the comedic stylings of the guy who asked for excess bags at a grocery store.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
This is in parody, I hope. This post may be even funnier than the one detailing the comedic stylings of the guy who asked for excess bags at a grocery store.
Game Completed
CAN.png
CAN1 - 2SWE
SWE.png

Gold Medal Game - Game 64LANXESS arena
2017 IIHF ICE HOCKEY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
You thought of an excuse yet of why you lost that very important final game stacked whit NHL-players?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad