Peter DeBoer after McLellan

chris39bong

So DeBoer was a finalist for the Sharks job in 08? Wonder how the last 7 years go if he had beat out McLellan for the job..[/QUOTE

Hard to say, of course. DeBoer was new to the NHL. TMac did a great job his first few seasons, especially when the team was deep like it is now. Drawing the Ducks in Round 1 back in 2009 was just bad luck, they were much better than a traditional #8 seed but had a few injuries and underperformed in the regular season. I also remember the Sharks having some key injuries of their own at the tail end of the season (Marleau, Grier, Blake, etc.) that no doubt contributed to the upset. After the season, TMac said he should have trusted his AHL callups to play in the playoffs rather than rushing the injured vets back. The Sharks 3rd and 4th lines were below avg that season.

In 2010, the Sharks added some much needed depth (Malhotra) and youth (Couture, McGinn, Demers) and despite being swept in Round 3, the Sharks actually played a loaded CHI even IMO. Niemi got hot and Nabby had a sub-par series which was the difference. Andrew Ladd later said the Sharks outplayed CHI at times but Niemi stole a couple games. Man, that Chicago team was incredibly deep. Again, bad luck for the Sharks to run into possibly the best team in the past 25+ years ('02 and '97 Wings, '96 Avs could argue).

The Sharks had a good 2011 squad, but were not as deep as the year before. Losing Malhotra hurt and required Pavs to center the 3rd line. Heatley lost a step and turned into a one dimensional player who couldn't crack 30 goals playing with Thornton. Blake retired prior to the season, after losing Ehrhoff the year before, which hurt the Sharks top-4. The D corps was 6 or 7 deep, but had bottom pairing defenders playing top-4 roles. The Sharks probably could have still beat VAN but weren't at their best, while untimely penalties also hurt. Even if SJ had won that series, I doubt they had the depth and goaltending to match Boston.

After 2011, the Sharks depth went downhill.

This 2016 team is 20 skaters and 2 goalies deep. Nieto, DeMelo, and Reimer aren't even playing. The 2010 Sharks team featured a younger Thornton and Marleau, but I don't think they are as deep or talented as this squad. DeBoer inherited a great team with a core and PP unit that largely had been intact and familiar with eachother. I think his more aggressive system while playing the vets less minutes is a product of great coaching, it also wouldn't have been possible without the depth DW added.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
2016 Thornton is the best iteration of Joe Thornton ever. In terms of what has been shown to win in the playoffs in the post-lockout era, an elite 2-way center is more likely to bring success than an elite offensive center who is average defensively. Thornton was a top-2 offensive center in the NHL this year behind only Crosby and at ES only Bergeron and Kopitar were better than him defensively. A center who is top-3 offensively at ES and top-3 defensively at ES amongst centers is better than a center who is 1st amongst centers in ES scoring but pedestrian defensively.

2016 Marleau...I won't comment further on this subject as I don't want to depress myself.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yeah I don't think Todd and DW were exactly chummy last year. When DW had to waive Burish to prevent him from playing lol. Tells me all I need to know.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Yeah I don't think Todd and DW were exactly chummy last year. When DW had to waive Burish to prevent him from playing lol. Tells me all I need to know.

Another reliable source said DW needs to 'shut his mouth' and 'stop lying'. The truth is probably somewhere between.

I wouldn't be badmouthing Todd based on something OrrNumber4 said Remenda said. Where's the source on that, btw?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Another reliable source said DW needs to 'shut his mouth' and 'stop lying'. The truth is probably somewhere between.

I wouldn't be badmouthing Todd based on something OrrNumber4 said Remenda said. Where's the source on that, btw?

Who is badmouthing? Saying that DW and Todd weren't close at the end isn't exactly a hot take. Drew saying that TMac recommended DeBoer sounds like a guy covering for his buddy since his replacement has taken the same core further than he ever did.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Who is badmouthing? Saying that DW and Todd weren't close at the end isn't exactly a hot take. Drew saying that TMac recommended DeBoer sounds like a guy covering for his buddy since his replacement has taken the same core further than he ever did.

I was assuming you thought that Todd was playing Burish against all known reason and DW went above his head and pulled the plug on that. Is that wrong?

DW has been adamant that he does not assert his opinion in the lineup, so that is a pretty big speculative shot across the bow. I'm not even saying you made it, I just don't agree with the perpetuation of speculative hindsight. It feels so Bostony.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

KNBR interview

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I do think Todd had a blind love affair with Burish. I was mostly joking about DW waiving him to get him out of the line up. Since its what we wanted haha. I do think there was a disconnect last year as far as the roster goes. We will never truly know.

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
2016 Thornton is the best iteration of Joe Thornton ever. In terms of what has been shown to win in the playoffs in the post-lockout era, an elite 2-way center is more likely to bring success than an elite offensive center who is average defensively. Thornton was a top-2 offensive center in the NHL this year behind only Crosby and at ES only Bergeron and Kopitar were better than him defensively. A center who is top-3 offensively at ES and top-3 defensively at ES amongst centers is better than a center who is 1st amongst centers in ES scoring but pedestrian defensively.

2016 Marleau...I won't comment further on this subject as I don't want to depress myself.

I absolutely agree with this. In the past I have vehemently wanted Thornton out. I have wanted to say I was wrong but was waiting until there was a lot of evidence that Thornton could do it in the playoffs. I can see now that maybe he is capable (though there is still not a Cup to show for it yet). He just may have needed the right coach and linemates. Pavelski and Hertl both seem to be able to read Thornton well and know right where to go to receive his passes.

I agree with comments on DeBoer's forechecking and pressure style. I have always been a big proponent of strong forechecking and defensemen pinching in to keep the puck in the zone. The Sharks are doing both of these very well right now. At the NHL level these are essential to keep opponents bottled up in their zone and on their heels. It has been a very effective tactic AGAINST the Sharks in past seasons as they would go into panic mode and everything would just go south quickly. You have to rely on your goalie for the big save and though Jones has looked a little shaky lately, both he and Riemer have shown overall they are much more reliable than Niemi. Also stated here somewhere I agree that DeBoer has utilized all his lines very well which has helped Donskoi, Tierney, Karlsson, etc. to develop very well. Combine that with the additions of Martin, Polak and Ward.

Cautiously optimistic. Remember historically the Blues are perhaps bigger chokers than the Sharks have been and I'm not convinced either Pittsburgh or Tampa have it in them to go all the way.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
I side with Todd on the Burish thing. His agent was right and he was able to lock down a NHL job pretty fast after leaving the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad