Persson's 2002 hit on Domi

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thought it was worth sharing.

It seemed pretty obvious at the time but Domi admits he was trying to get cut.

http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2015...bout-bloody-2002-run-in-with-sens-ricard.html

B735WKzIUAAGbJm.jpg

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
You drive your face into half boards and cut yourself purposely in rec league? That's dedication.

Some people call me a try hard and people have tried to fight me after leaving the arena for kneeing goalies in the face. I say "keep it on the ice" :P

Nah most of that stuff happened when i was younger and tried to emulate matthew barnaby

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Meh, players dive, act injured, try to draw blood, and do pretty much anything to win a cup. Some players are good at scoring goals, other players bring different talents to the table.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Some people call me a try hard and people have tried to fight me after leaving the arena for kneeing goalies in the face. I say "keep it on the ice" :P

Nah most of that stuff happened when i was younger and tried to emulate matthew barnaby

There's nothing that upsets me more than a try hard / dirty player in a rec league except for the same type of player in a shinny game.

I play hockey for fun, blowing out my knee, getting a concussion or dealing with someone who enjoys pissing other people off is something I wish I didn't have to deal with. Sadly, finding a rec league with decent sportsmanship is nearly impossible.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

Believe me, no one on your team or the league is calling you a "try hard", they are calling you much worse. "kneeing goalies in the face" in beer league is the act of a loser, the guy that thinks there are scouts in the stands. There are clowns like this in every beer league in the country and you get laughed at over beers after every game. Lowest form of beer league hockey, no one wants you there.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
lol, wow. And here I thought I was being nasty as that defenseman in rec league (back in the day) that always focused on tying up the stick of whoever was in front of the net and leaning on them a bit.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Believe me, no one on your team or the league is calling you a "try hard", they are calling you much worse. "kneeing goalies in the face" in beer league is the act of a loser, the guy that thinks there are scouts in the stands. There are clowns like this in every beer league in the country and you get laughed at over beers after every game. Lowest form of beer league hockey, no one wants you there.

This is like when i was 17-18. People grow up but i can laugh about now

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's not how you play the game it's how you Win!

Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing!

Just Win Baby!

Note: Although I am completely converted to this philosophy I did learn that these concepts are best not applied in Rec hockey.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
I have a hard time playing in leagues where too many guys just have two settings - on or off... nothing in between. Still playing like there are scouts in the stands... the slightest thing sets them off and they lose it. In one league I'm in, we've had to give out year-long suspensions, not for any one act, but just to show some guys (friends actually) that they need to re-think how they play and realize that we're all out there to get a skate in, work up a sweat, and have a few bevvies post-game... no one wants an injury. I'm also amazed at how many beer-league guys try to 'sell' calls to the refs, or lose it on the refs when something doesn't go their way... these refs are getting like $20 a game, don't deserve the abuse, and make our games possible... without them it's less fun (when playing in a league with points, standings, etc.)

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Personally, I blame Chara for getting injured and not playing in game 6. Persson was only in the lineup because of that.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I have a hard time playing in leagues where too many guys just have two settings - on or off... nothing in between. Still playing like there are scouts in the stands... the slightest thing sets them off and they lose it. In one league I'm in, we've had to give out year-long suspensions, not for any one act, but just to show some guys (friends actually) that they need to re-think how they play and realize that we're all out there to get a skate in, work up a sweat, and have a few bevvies post-game... no one wants an injury. I'm also amazed at how many beer-league guys try to 'sell' calls to the refs, or lose it on the refs when something doesn't go their way... these refs are getting like $20 a game, don't deserve the abuse, and make our games possible... without them it's less fun (when playing in a league with points, standings, etc.)

I played for one game in a intramural uni league. Literally every whistle ended with both teams yelling at the volunteer student ref.

Never played with them again.

I can accept this type of behaviour from pros though. It's a bit annoying but Tie Domi had a roster spot because he was expected to do stuff like this.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Not surprising at all. Not really made either. Our players got introduced to these kinds of playoff shenanigans early and most never adjusted their own play to take advantage of the ref's too and arguably it cost us on some big stages.

Will still never forget Corson skating back across our blue line as the last man back, passes the first Sen he sees in the neutral zone, grabs his stick and jumps up in the air like he slipped on a banana peel. Tripping-Sens... and a lazy defensive play turns into a PP for the Leafs.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

It really depends what you're playing for. Most of us have only ever played for fun. Tie Domi was doing the job he was paid to do and he was doing what he had to do to keep his job and pay his bills. Tie Domi couldn't (possibly still can't) read at the time of this incident, playing in the NHL was his only real option and I don't blame him for doing whatever it takes to secure his job.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
It really depends what you're playing for. Most of us have only ever played for fun. Tie Domi was doing the job he was paid to do and he was doing what he had to do to keep his job and pay his bills. Tie Domi couldn't (possibly still can't) read at the time of this incident, playing in the NHL was his only real option and I don't blame him for doing whatever it takes to secure his job.

Neither do I - you can't expect one guy to be the bastion of integrity, when everybody else out there is diving and faking every chance they get too.

Still, you gotta wonder what would happen if these guys took all the effort they put into cheating to win, and re-allocated it to playing to win.

Aren't I just the naive idealist... :laugh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Neither do I - you can't expect one guy to be the bastion of integrity, when everybody else out there is diving and faking every chance they get too.

Still, you gotta wonder what would happen if these guys took all the effort they put into cheating to win, and re-allocated it to playing to win.

Aren't I just the naive idealist... :laugh:

b1fmn5yzxf4m5dnb76cz.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad