Perron

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Good: One of the few solid board players on the team, in both o-zone and d-zone. Will take a hit and still make a useful play, a rarity on the Wings. Good on PP2. The emotion and compete level he plays with. Probably willing to play another year at much-reduced rate.

Bad: Skating constantly puts him at disadvantage and penalties and poor coverage primarily because of skating deficiency. He is always trying to do the right thing, but can't do it as well as he used to. He's only going to be slower next year. Not suited to minutes required for effective middle six usage.

Perron at $2.5M for one year would be acceptable, depending on off-season roster plans that should include a top six LW and more speed in the bottom six. Addition of a top six LW (along with Kane returning) would reduce or eliminate his PP utility and 5v5 much rather have someone who can skate and be physical taking his spot. Kasper is ready to do that much.

Bring Kasper up next season, and he'll look like a poor man's Joe Veleno.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I know Kasper's NHL readiness is one of your bete-noires. I disagree. He's not really anything like passive, not sure what to do Veleno.

Joey in his first couple of seasons ran around hitting people, not sure what the deal is this season. So far Kasper has shown less than Zadina did, it's really strange that anyone would want him on the roster next season. That's just going to set him up to be a career bottom 6 player.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
A limited NHL role that Kasper can handle at 20yo is not going to dictate anything about his future. NHL is not a development league, but players do develop. We'll see what happens at camp and in preseason and we'll probably get a pretty good idea what is in store for Kasper simply from what happens with off-season acquisitions.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I think Detroit should resign him to play on the 3rd line a 1 year deal at a reduced salary would be good. Yes he is much slower then he used to be but Perron goes to the dirty areas of the ice and isn't afraid to stand up for his teammates.
Detroit has far too many marshmallows on the team and we need to keep Perron and his grit.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
A limited NHL role that Kasper can handle at 20yo is not going to dictate anything about his future. NHL is not a development league, but players do develop. We'll see what happens at camp and in preseason and we'll probably get a pretty good idea what is in store for Kasper simply from what happens with off-season acquisitions.
Even if he were to get promoted next season, he'll still start out in GR just like Joey did. his rookie season.

It's not even worth arguing because Stevie isn't going to throw an underdeveloped prospect on the roster. We'll get all of Perron, Fischer, Sprong, and Czarnik back before that happens. I'll bet my car on it.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Even if he were to get promoted next season, he'll still start out in GR just like Joey did. his rookie season.

It's not even worth arguing because Stevie isn't going to throw an underdeveloped prospect on the roster. We'll get all of Perron, Fischer, Sprong, and Czarnik back before that happens. I'll bet my car on it.

Man, this is not even close to an argument. It's a discussion! And no, I wouldn't take that bet. For one, I live in a place where there is about six total cars, none of them mine, and don't need one lol. And for two, if SY appoaches next season the same way he did this season, which in all honesty he probably will, you are more likely to be right than I am. Civil disagreement is perfectly okay with me brother.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

In the fall he'll be 20yo with 4 seasons (w/ 4 playoffs) of pro hockey under his belt. He's 6'1" 190lb+. He's not some skinny 18yo coming out of juniors.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I think Detroit should resign him to play on the 3rd line a 1 year deal at a reduced salary would be good. Yes he is much slower then he used to be but Perron goes to the dirty areas of the ice and isn't afraid to stand up for his teammates.
Detroit has far too many marshmallows on the team and we need to keep Perron and his grit.
My point of view as well. One of the few players who plays a heavy style game in the lineup.

Reactions: Go Wings

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In the fall he'll be 20yo with 4 seasons (w/ 4 playoffs) of pro hockey under his belt. He's 6'1" 190lb+. He's not some skinny 18yo coming out of juniors.

Very few teams promote a kid that's scoring .5ppg in the AHL, even then it's for bottom 6 checking line or PK role. Might as well re-sign Fischer (47 pts in 57 games his last AHL season) or bring ZAR back up at that point.

New isn't always better. There's really ZERO logic there. He can't score in the AHL so let's bring him up to the NHL, said no GM ever, lol.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
True. Youthful exuberance in the bottom half of the lineup has never worked out positively for a team...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
True. Youthful exuberance in the bottom half of the lineup has never worked out positively for a team...

This team had plenty of young players the past decade, how did Zadina, Svech, Perlini, Suter, Vrana, Erne, Givani & Gemel, Mitchell Stephens, Hirose, etc all work out?

Even a plug like Erne had better AHL stats than Kasper does now. Barring injuries to the current centers, it's 100% guaranteed Kasper is starting next season in GR.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
This team had plenty of young players the past decade, how did Zadina, Svech, Perlini, Suter, Vrana, Erne, Givani & Gemel, Mitchell Stephens, Hirose, etc all work out?

Even a plug like Erne had better AHL stats than Kasper does now. Barring injuries to the current centers, it's 100% guaranteed Kasper is starting next season in GR.
f***... we may as well just stop drafting then. Kids suck...

Reactions: DoMakc

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'd bring him back and reduce his role and price tag accordingly. Trade someone like Fabbri if you're worried about Berggren not making the team. Perron does a lot of small things well, and is one of the only guys on the team who will drag the team into the fight over and over again. Yes he's slower now and his counting stats are nothing to get excited about, but he's one of the only guys on the team who is genuinely hard to play against.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
It'd be super handy if he were top 10 most important on the ice...
He's 9th in scoring, 8th in goals, one of the only players to go in the tough areas of the ice on a regular basis and even though he got the wrong guy he was the one to stand up when Joseph took that cheap shot on Larkin. Yah he's cool easily be top 10 on this team.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Zaronji

Mar 18, 2007
Michigan
I'd love if they brought him back if there's room, but, as redwings8831 said, I consider Kane and Fischer to be higher priorities.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
All depends on what happens with higher priority UFAs. If They want to return at reasonable cost, its goodbye Mr Perron, but if we can't get Kane, for example, Perron on a lower salary makes some sense. Its not as if stylistically he's the road blockage for our guys in GR that are pushing - particularly Berggren of course.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He's 9th in scoring, 8th in goals, one of the only players to go in the tough areas of the ice on a regular basis and even though he got the wrong guy he was the one to stand up when Joseph took that cheap shot on Larkin. Yah he's cool easily be top 10 on this team.
So you've got Sprong ahead of him, right?

Larkin, Raymond, Debrincat, Kane, Compher, Copp, Rasmussen, Seider, Walman, Chiarot, pick a goalie. At this point Perron becomes a consideration.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
LOL. You have zero patience, thank god you don't coach. Go eat a green banana.

Ed, Mo and Ray are all playing, Kasper hasn't shown he's NHL ready.
What does patience have to do with anything? I was dutifully informed that kids suck and shouldn't be called up by that list of yours.

Backed up, expertly I might add, with the information that a 21/22yo Erne marginally outscored a 19yo in his first season on NA ice.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
So you've got Sprong ahead of him, right?

Larkin, Raymond, Debrincat, Kane, Compher, Copp, Rasmussen, Seider, Walman, Chiarot, pick a goalie. At this point Perron becomes a consideration.
Sprong are you kidding no I don't. Sprong can score, which is good, but he doesn't provide anything beyond that. He doesn't go into the corners, he isn't physical, he isn't a leader on this team and he isn't a proven playoff performer.

I love how people forget that about Perron if he we actually get in the playoffs Perron will be quite important.

Also you have Chiarot ranked over Perron, come on man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad