Post-Game Talk: Pens win vs Islanders: Lots of milestones

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I’m dreading Rust coming back, not because he’s not having a great year, but because Sully won’t be able to help himself. Rakell back to L2 to make it ineffective again Puusy in the press box or WBS to add some “maturing to his game” aka learning to grind instead of score.
I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure this is cap compliant at this stage of the reason:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
Zohorna-Eller-Puustinen
Nieto-Acciari-DOC
Carter

Pettersson-Letang
Graves-Karlsson
Ludvig-Ruhwedel
POJ

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Yeah, what’s Mike Sullivan supposed to do here?

Go with what works and not force players that don’t score into scoring roles?

Pens are what? 6-1-1 now. Gotta give them some credit. The games have been ugly but they have strung together a nice little run.
It's crazy how much better they look when they play under control instead of shitty pinching 24-7.

Once the Pens start their run and gun frenzy... it's over.

Reactions: Gurglesons

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
That’s about a 1/820 million chance if you’re flying commercial in NA. You’re more likely to get a big win playing the lottery.
A shocking % of passengers actually survive crashes, only to die of smoke inhalation or burns post-crash, and significant % perish because they're too f***ing stupid to pay attention to safety instructions. Pro tip for water crashes- don't inflate your damn vest until OUTSIDE the aircraft. As for @Sorry, may God be with you- if you crash in FL and survive initial impact and don't suffocate or fry and somehow make it out of an exit window intact, pretty sure a gator or python is going to be psyched. But hey, the odds of that are like Pens shutting out the Isles 7-0 on LI or Kris notching 5 assists in a period. You're probably good.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's crazy how much better they look when they play under control instead of shitty pinching 24-7.

Once the Pens start their run and gun frenzy... it's over.

I’m actually willing to give Sullivan a slight pass for that because I think it’s just in our players DNA.

But at the same time Sullivan is responsible for having them listen.

Pens need Trevor Daley, not Erik Karlsson

EK has been great.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Really despise the EK slander I've been seeing. Anyway, awesome that Letang had such a great game. If they could manage to have a functional NHL powerplay somehow that would be cool.

Jarry with a nice bounce back game.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
+ that's a mighty fine scoreboard
+/- big family get together tonight, Yellowstone tomorrow is all well and good, but once again not something easily replicated for the rest of the season :laugh:

Without having watched, this seems like a game that may have slain a demon or three. That'd be cool.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Rewatched the game and it’s as i thought it was. Isles basically cheated towards Sid and EK with double/triple teams with the best defensive players they have left all night, and everyone besides those two were essentially left to feast with time and space because no Pelech/Pulock.

They’ll adjust next game. And when those 2 return, the games will be much more even.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This was just a weird game, the Pens did things right and the Isles, heading into this game, were not the same team at all and I was actually surprised by that. They were playing some pretty good hockey the last 10 games and Barzal was back to or near a ppg.

Then they laid a fat egg in the 2nd period and just never looked the same. I don't want to give Sullivan credit as I think the Isles were also just that bad today while the Pens got some bounces and just kept getting them.

Happy to see Jarry get the shutout, Geno to score a couple, same for Raks, Puustinen, etc.

Also, 18 games and 0pts by Harkins is probably the biggest LOL of the roster.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Rewatched the game and it’s as i thought it was. Isles basically cheated towards Sid and EK with double/triple teams with the best defensive players they have left all night, and everyone besides those two were essentially left to feast with time and space because no Pelech/Pulock.

They’ll adjust next game. And when those 2 return, the games will be much more even.
You play the teams you face.

Just because you get lucky with injuries on the other team there is no guarantee of a win. See Tomlin's Steelers for an example. Credit to the Pens for taking care of business.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
+ that's a mighty fine scoreboard
+/- big family get together tonight, Yellowstone tomorrow is all well and good, but once again not something easily replicated for the rest of the season :laugh:

Without having watched, this seems like a game that may have slain a demon or three. That'd be cool.
We may have to start a GoFundMe program to incentivize you NOT to watch Pens games and to keep @Andy99 on an airplane when they play. There seems to be correlation. Will GoFundMe accept frequent flyer miles? If we have to do it on the cheap, maybe a partial season package including only Rangers/Isles/Caps/Flyers/Jerks/Bruins games? We can negotiate a separate package for the inevitable playoffs. What is your price? We can subsidize more family get-togethers as well, we aren't heartless.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
With how terribly inconsistent they have been I'm just going to enjoy the history we witnessed tonight. It's frustrating to see how good they can be only to see them shit the bed the next game. Pretty cool to see Letang's epic period.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
You play the teams you face.

Just because you get lucky with injuries on the other team there is no guarantee of a win. See Tomlin's Steelers for an example. Credit to the Pens for taking care of business.
For sure. I think thought it was important that they be able to take advantage of the Islanders roster. I’m not sure that last year they formulate
the same type of game. They probably force things in the 1st period and lose from their poor transition game.

But make no mistake, tonight was more about the guys who didn’t really show up in the box score. They let their teammates take advantage of their own double/triple coverage.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
firing errey was a horrendous move. making a 7-0 game where one of your stars sets an nhl record sound like a complete chore is some impressive broadcasting
This one move gave us the worst possible juju to start the season.

Puustinen, Jake, and Geno were awesome. Man did Puusti let it rip on his goal.

Jarry leading the league in shutouts.

Also feels good remembering their most proud game of the last decade when they called up minor league goons to beat up, checks notes, Eric Tangradi and Brent Johnson.

That franchise and their fans can eat a bag of ***** every night. I hope Lou lives forever so they’ll always be too crappy to win anything and too mediocre to get good picks.
Had the same thought. This game is the start of their slide, book it. Also love how this guy on the main boards was saying Bo Horvat is a 100 point player before the game. Nothing like a good HFboards jinxing.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Is that like, an inflatable sex doll? ;)
Ouch. Thanks.
No, it's a type of yeast cake, with chocolate in this case. The Poles act like it's their own, but it's of Jewish origin.

1703767600482.png

Although funnily enough, "babka" is slang for "chick". Always found that to be a little wrong, since "baba" is slang for "old lady".

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Ouch. Thanks.
No, it's a type of yeast cake, with chocolate in this case. The Poles act like it's their own, but it's of Jewish origin.

View attachment 791487

Although funnily enough, "babka" is slang for "chick". Always found that to be a little wrong, since "baba" is slang for "old lady".
You know I was kidding. Have to admit, that actually looks pretty tasty!

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
So, this happened. ;)

I almost decided not to watch this game because I expected the usual "we beat ourselves" against the Isles but after a stupendously boring first period, the Pens switched to another gear and the Isles had no answer. I hope the guys from my ignore list who love ragging on Letang were watching and taking notes.

It's kind of insane how the Pens can make the best goalies in the league look bad, yet often struggle against no name ones. It helped that the Isles couldn't box out even Jake, let alone anyone bigger but still. Rakell scoring, Geno two goals and agonizingly close to a hat-trick, Puustinen with his first NHL goal ever, it's like Santa Claus hanging out presents for real. I guess Sid and EK65 were on the naughty list because they somehow ended up with zero points in this massacre despite playing well.

P.S. What the hell was Dobson doing on Guentzel's second goal? I know the Isles are not defense first team now but the guy is legit, yet he completely forgot about Jake being all alone behind him right after his team took a time out to settle things down.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
P.S. What the hell was Dobson doing on Guentzel's second goal? I know the Isles are not defense first team now but the guy is legit, yet he completely forgot about Jake being all alone behind him right after his team took a time out to settle things down.
Call a timeout, so focused on scoring to make coach happy, the defensive assignments get mixed up because you're trying to do some different.

I'm thrilled. Once in a lifetime game for Letang. His attack on Malkin's second goal was best defenseman in the world type stuff. When he's on top of his game he's such a smooth operator.

Rakell is looking like he's figuring his game out, Puusty's a total stud, Letang proved he's still a top defenseman in the league, Jarry casually has 4 shutouts.

Three big x-factors going forward - can this powerplay find any consistency? Can we play with a defensive conscience for more than a few games in a row? And there's the three-time Norris winner, who has been solid, but has two more gears at least he can reach. If he starts really going, we can go streaking and be a very tough team to compete with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad