Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Wild | win | We score 6 and we win, it’s science

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Are you seriously suggesting the team re-signs that clown?
Resigning him under 4M? Sure, he's playing like a 3M goalie currently. He spoiled us last regular season playing as a 7M dollar goalie and saving Sully from missing the playoffs.

Our goaltending is poor currently but that position is bipolar. I don't care who we have in net especially under the current system.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Resigning him under 4M? Sure, he's playing like a 3M goalie currently. He spoiled us last regular season playing as a 7M dollar goalie and saving Sully from missing the playoffs.

Our goaltending is poor currently but that position is bipolar. I don't care who we have in net especially under the current system.
52nd best GAA, 44th in save %. Plus, he sucks in the playoffs.

You don’t have to re-sign every player. I know Hextall had lowered the fanbase’s expectations, but come on.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
We'll look better defensively if/when the goalies step it up.
At least the PK looks to be turning a corner. We're 26th in GA/G right now but I could see us ending up in the middle of the league by season's end.

I think these new top 6 combinations are gonna help in that regard too, because they'll control the play more, and the puck won't be in the D-zone as much.
In this game for example, Sid's line only had 1 high danger chance against. 60% corsi.
Compare that to the Leafs game where Sid had 6 HDCA's. I know the Leafs are a better attacking team than the Wild, but it was night and day.
Geno's line was a net negative today, but they were still only minus 1 in HDC's.

The point is I think this top 6 is gonna help us control outcomes more.
Today 2 of those goals are on Jarry straight up. It wasn't that bad of a defensive performance at all. The Wild had 23 shots and 7 high danger chances the whole game. You'll take that on the road every single time. It's a step in the right direction.
its a small sample, one game, but the difference in L2 was apparent, With Rakell, He and Zucker are ablle to slow down or prevent their dman or center in moving the puck , in time to have Geno join them and establish cycle or give and go or create offense. Last night with Rust just floating the puck was in our zone in a hurry and Geno was stuck as a third defensman which he did a really good job, thats why they did not give up many chances although they still had bad possession numbers. Not sure how coaches don't see this. Its all Rust. They kept singing him praises that he is some kind of puck hunter, where he stopped doing that a long time ago. Thats why he may be able to work with McGinn and Blueger as a third wheel. The best scenario is that someone lights the fire up his ass. At this point Kappy forechecks better than he does and is more defensively aware.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don't know why people are complaining about Jarry, he got more points than Rust at least.
That’s like saying Hextall isn’t quite as bad as post-2017 Rutherford. Jarry has been horrendous, regardless of what Rust has done.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
52nd best GAA, 44th in save %. Plus, he sucks in the playoffs.

You don’t have to re-sign every player. I know Hextall had lowered the fanbase’s expectations, but come on.
I should preface I don't care who's our goalie. Just don't pay a premium for whoever it is...take a look at potential goalie FAs and tell me who and for roughly how much.

Woo me on a better option.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I should preface I don't care who's our goalie. Just don't pay a premium for whoever it is...take a look at potential goalie FAs and tell me who and for roughly how much.

Woo me on a better option.
Does it have to be a free agent? are we not allowed to make trades?

Martin Jones, Andersen, Varlamov (prob want him as a back up/1B)

I’m tired of Jarry at this point.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Say what you will about Sullivan, at least he eventually changes things when they aren't working. Bylsma rode his dumb tip pass system right into the ground.

Sullivan has some of that arrogance too but he'll usually eventually make adjustments if things aren't working. It's just often later than we'd all like. But better late than never I guess.
Garbage. He tanked the f***ing season because he was too stubborn to go back to what started the season 4-0-1. He get's no credit from me.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
its a small sample, one game, but the difference in L2 was apparent, With Rakell, He and Zucker are ablle to slow down or prevent their dman or center in moving the puck , in time to have Geno join them and establish cycle or give and go or create offense. Last night with Rust just floating the puck was in our zone in a hurry and Geno was stuck as a third defensman which he did a really good job, thats why they did not give up many chances although they still had bad possession numbers. Not sure how coaches don't see this. Its all Rust. They kept singing him praises that he is some kind of puck hunter, where he stopped doing that a long time ago. Thats why he may be able to work with McGinn and Blueger as a third wheel. The best scenario is that someone lights the fire up his ass. At this point Kappy forechecks better than he does and is more defensively aware.
Definitely, I’m in favor of demoting Rust and replacing him with Kap or Heinen…he’s not going to be benched unfortunately

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Wow, thanks for completely ignoring the "If he stays healthy" part of my post.

His shooting % is 19% right now. More than 5% better than any season he has ever finished with. It's time to give this guy some credit.

I'll stick with my 20G projection, thanks, especially with Rust trending down in the lineup and McGinn trending up. And in your own big brain words - players get hurt. He's literally a Jason Zucker injury away from top-6 minutes.
Easy tough guy. Just saying projections are exactly that. Projections.
A lucky goal yesterday are few and far between.
Wait til his hot streak cools and he pots 1g in 5 games. He won't pace 20 any longer.
His shooting percent will drop.
He's never hit 20g ever.
He's scoring. I credit him. Never said anything about him.... other than your pea brain projection predicting him to 20g.
I'd be willing to wager leaving the board if he hits twenty (cuz he won't). You wouldn't take that though... or would ya.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Not a super encouraging game despite the win, but on the positive side, only a -2 for Rust's line is an improvement!

To be fair, though, the 2 -'s were 1) Jarry unnecessarily playing the puck and giving it right to the Wild and 2) Geno's....defensive gamble....to put it nicely.....on the shorty.

I think you stick with the lines for a little while longer before demoting Rust further, but minuses are really following him wherever he goes.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Not a super encouraging game despite the win, but on the positive side, only a -2 for Rust's line is an improvement!

To be fair, though, the 2 -'s were 1) Jarry unnecessarily playing the puck and giving it right to the Wild and 2) Geno's....defensive gamble....to put it nicely.....on the shorty.

I think you stick with the lines for a little while longer before demoting Rust further, but minuses are really following him wherever he goes.

I don't think we can pin that Jarry giveaway on him entirely without knowing more info.

The goalie is relying on his dmen to call out traffic. If the Dman told him to ring it around, then I don't blame Jarry. If the Dman didn't, well then Jarry screwed up twice in that sequence.

That being said, Jarry's game last night was barfy. CDS should start next game for sure.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think we can pin that Jarry giveaway on him entirely without knowing more info.

The goalie is relying on his dmen to call out traffic. If the Dman told him to ring it around, then I don't blame Jarry. If the Dman didn't, well then Jarry screwed up twice in that sequence.

That being said, Jarry's game last night was barfy. CDS should start next game for sure.
Fair, but I think Jarry overplays the puck all the time. So unless defensemen are constantly making the wrong reads for him moreso than CDS, I tend to think it's on Jarry.

Either way, it wasn't the Zucker-Malkin-Rust line that was really at fault for that goal.

Reactions: Andy99

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Does it have to be a free agent? are we not allowed to make trades?

Martin Jones, Andersen, Varlamov (prob want him as a back up/1B)

I’m tired of Jarry at this point.
Sure you can make a lateral move...but cycling goalies won't help the underlying system issues.

I know it'll do your heart warm with this. Sully's gotta go first, then assess players. Our current system does no favors for goalie stats

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Easy tough guy. Just saying projections are exactly that. Projections.
A lucky goal yesterday are few and far between.
Wait til his hot streak cools and he pots 1g in 5 games. He won't pace 20 any longer.
His shooting percent will drop.
He's never hit 20g ever.
He's scoring. I credit him. Never said anything about him.... other than your pea brain projection predicting him to 20g.
I'd be willing to wager leaving the board if he hits twenty (cuz he won't). You wouldn't take that though... or would ya.
Please forgive my pea brain, for reading my entire post before replying to it, and for explaining to me what a hot streak is.

McGinn is shooting at double his career shooting % right now. He's the best looking winger in our bottom-6 through one quarter of the season. It's not an absurd projection.

Zucker tweaks his groin tomorrow in practice and the guy is playing with Evgeni Malkin.

Reactions: LOGiK

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sure you can make a lateral move...but cycling goalies won't help the underlying system issues.

I know it'll do your heart warm with this. Sully's gotta go first, then assess players. Our current system does no favors for goalie stats
Oh I completely agree that Sully and Reirden need to go.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I am the Vitek Vanecek of husbands. Wife: You perform exactly as expected. No more, no less.

Yep. Him and Heinen get a pass Kapanen doesn’t. Senseless.
While 100% true, I have a hard time justifying why I would put Kapanen in over Heinen. Or Rust. Or anyone on the 4th line.

Would Kapanen do well on the 4th line? Would he provide us with something better than what Archibald or Poehling does?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I am the Vitek Vanecek of husbands. Wife: You perform exactly as expected. No more, no less.

While 100% true, I have a hard time justifying why I would put Kapanen in over Heinen. Or Rust. Or anyone on the 4th line.

Would Kapanen do well on the 4th line? Would he provide us with something better than what Archibald or Poehling does?
Archibald and Poehling we're both fantastic yesterday. I think Poehling has some potential.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Oh I completely agree that Sully and Reirden need to go.
With the new contract he just signed in the off season, MS isn't going anywhere. I really don't understand why Hextall signed him then and didn't wait until the season started at least. There was absolutely no rush

Jarry has been terrible so far this season, he needs to find his game ASAP or were cooked! It's not normal that all our wins are coming only off 6+ goal games. The Boston one was the worst with a 5-2 lead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad