Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Wild | win | We score 6 and we win, it’s science

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Archibald and Poehling we're both fantastic yesterday. I think Poehling has some potential.
Yeah, both have been great this year. I do think Poehling has some untapped potential. My worry is it may be more like Kapanen where, you know he has the skills sets but it won't manifest into regular results.

Poehling is lucky in that he's viewed as a 4th liner at the moment so as long as he maintains that level of play and kicks in every now and then, he should be good. There's less overall pressure, especially with his fresh start on the Penguins. Realistically, there aren't many guys pushing for his spot either. Poulin, meh. DOC, no. Hallander, nah. So I think he (and Archi) are starting to find their groove.

I'd love for Poehling to turn into another Heinen for us.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
its a small sample, one game, but the difference in L2 was apparent, With Rakell, He and Zucker are ablle to slow down or prevent their dman or center in moving the puck , in time to have Geno join them and establish cycle or give and go or create offense. Last night with Rust just floating the puck was in our zone in a hurry and Geno was stuck as a third defensman which he did a really good job, thats why they did not give up many chances although they still had bad possession numbers. Not sure how coaches don't see this. Its all Rust. They kept singing him praises that he is some kind of puck hunter, where he stopped doing that a long time ago. Thats why he may be able to work with McGinn and Blueger as a third wheel. The best scenario is that someone lights the fire up his ass. At this point Kappy forechecks better than he does and is more defensively aware.
Yeah if Rust is gonna be moving and passing like this, I'd take any of Blue, McGinn, Heinen or Kap in his spot until he improves.
The answer is not screwing with L1 though. We need Crosby to be hopping like yesterday, since they often match up against top opposition. Plus when Sid's feeling it 5v5 it seeps into the PP as well.

I liked Kap's game a lot vs Montreal, as meagre as his role was. Scratching him after that was pretty harsh IMO.
He has one goal, but also 4 primary assists at 5v5. The effort's been suspect, but he's still at 2.19 5v5 P/P60. That's 5th on the team. Rust's at 1.28.

He's pretty unlucky that we're 100% healthy right now. It's a freak occurrence.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah if Rust is gonna be moving and passing like this, I'd take any of Blue, McGinn, Heinen or Kap in his spot until he improves.
The answer is not screwing with L1 though. We need Crosby to be hopping like yesterday, since they often match up against top opposition. Plus when Sid's feeling it 5v5 it seeps into the PP as well.

I liked Kap's game a lot vs Montreal, as meagre as his role was. Scratching him after that was pretty harsh IMO.
He has one goal, but also 4 primary assists at 5v5. The effort's been suspect, but he's still at 2.19 5v5 P/P60. That's 5th on the team. Rust's at 1.28.

Yeah, I know "send a message" and all, but Kap's problem's never been lack of effort. He just shuts his brain off for weeks at a time, seemingly. He's not been a floater like Rust. I'd put him over Rusty on L2 any day until Rust decides to start playing again. McGinn also not a bad choice-- earn that cap hit!

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah, I know "send a message" and all, but Kap's problem's never been lack of effort. He just shuts his brain off for weeks at a time, seemingly. He's not been a floater like Rust.
I didn't like his effort at all during the Carter injury, but apart from that I agree.
That absence really didn't help him or Heinen. L3 was doing fairly well, for our standards at least.
I'm glad Sully tried him on the PK, to give him a bigger role on the team. Didn't work out though. He's not gonna get it back until PK'ers get hurt.
Pretty sure Sully prefers Poehling, based on his comments last night. He likes that he can take faceoffs and just his ability to kill in general.

We really need to trade Kap at this point. He's not even the next man up for the top 6 anymore when someone's hurt. They'll use Heinen and possibly even Carter or McGinn before him.
Wanted him to succeed here but it doesn't look to be in the cards. It shouldn't be that hard to trade him.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I didn't like his effort at all during the Carter injury, but apart from that I agree.
That absence really didn't help him or Heinen. L3 was doing fairly well, for our standards at least.
I'm glad Sully tried him on the PK, to give him a bigger role on the team. Didn't work out though. He's not gonna get it back until PK'ers get hurt.
Pretty sure Sully prefers Poehling, based on his comments last night. He likes that he can take faceoffs and just his ability to kill in general.

We really need to trade Kap at this point. He's not even the next man up for the top 6 anymore when someone's hurt. They'll use Heinen and possibly even Carter or McGinn before him.
Wanted him to succeed here but it doesn't look to be in the cards. It shouldn't be that hard to trade him.
Yeah, I agree. They want him to be Heinen, essentially, which is fine and all, but that's not what Kap is, for good or for ill. I'd just move him to have the cap and lineup space tbh, unless he puts it together in a hurry.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Woah.... Theres a hot take!

giphy.gif

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Penguins bad, healthy!
Penguins good, injuries!

Add that to the penguins book of rules for this year.
1. Score six, win!

etc etc etc

Last edited:
Reactions: AuroraBorealis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad