• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
1680830133464-png.683006

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I know the game was out of reach at that point and perhaps Minny wasn't coming as hard, but I thought the PP with like5 mins left in the game was something they should build off of: lots of weaving and movement, quick passes, etc. PP1 maintained possession most of the time and got some decent looks.

Note it was Letang/Petry and Jake/Sid/Malkin

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Red Wing game on Saturday afternoon is gonna be tough.

Wings battled back tonight against the Sabres down 4-2 and 6-4 only to have Perron tie it up under 1:00 left in the game....

Like most ex-Pens, Perron's had our name for a few seasons.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Hold onto your butts,

NYI remaining games: vs PHI, @ WSH, vs MTL

FLA remaining games: @ WSH, vs TOR, vs CAR

PIT remaining games: @ DET, vs CHI, @ CBJ

Saturday will be insane. Penguins need to set the pace with a win in the afternoon. Then we play spectator at night for the NYI and FLA games.

And they play spectator on Monday. Both NYI and FLA play on Monday. Thus if the Pens lose (Regulation or O/SO) on Saturday, NYI and FLA could clinch the playoffs without the Pens playing a game. Due to the RW tiebreaker.

Thus, the Pens need to play the DET game like it is the 7th game of a playoff series. The coaches need to inform the players and enforce that if they don't win, they may not play another meaningful game this season.

Islanders:

WSH, they don't care to play a tough game anymore, their last three games they have lost: 5-1, 5-2, 6-2. And are 2-6-2 in their last ten. So don't expect any help from them. They are in full on golf mode.

PHI, They have a .500 record over the last 10. But they have lost 5 straight. Thus they seem to be in full on golf mode as well.

MTL, they are 1-4 in their last 5 and the only win was against WSH. It is the last game of the season and it is at the NYI. I think they pack it in. This game also happens next Wednesday. NYI can clinch before the Pens and FLA play on Thursday.

Thus, I think the NYI go 3-0. They take WC1.

Panthers:

WSH, we talked about them already. That's a win.

TOR, at home and the Leafs have locked up their position. The interesting thing about this game for TOR, it is the first game of a back to back and the second game is against TB, who they play in the first round of the playoffs. So TOR may sit people for this game, including their #1 goalie so that they can play tough against TB. This feels like a win for Florida.

CAR, at home. The only chance for the Pens to make up points, and that is if CAR hasn't clinched their playoff position. CAR, currently would lose the tiebreak if they end up tied with NJ, but that could change real quick. NJ plays Boston on Saturday. If NJ lose that game in regulation, and CAR win against Buffalo on Sat, CAR can clinch their position on Monday against OTT, who is in full on golf mode. I think this ends up a win or OT loss at the worst for FLA.

I think FLA end up 3-0 or 2-0-1 and take WC2.

Pens win all 3 games and go 4-0 down the stretch and miss the playoffs by a tiebreaker. Their inability to close out the plethora of games they were leading going into the 3rd period is what sinks them.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Isles: Philly, Caps, Montreal
Panthers: Cap, Toronto, Hurricanes
Penguins: Detroit, Chicago, Columbus

We need to be rooting for the Caps. Panthers have it tough. Those are three big games for them. It's like that we need to win at least 2. 3 to be safe.
With the tiebreakers, which the Pens lose out on to both the Isles and Cats, we could go 2-1 and still miss if they both go 1-1-1. We really f***ed ourselves with how shit they've been when they had all those games in hand.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
With the tiebreakers, which the Pens lose out on to both the Isles and Cats, we could go 2-1 and still miss if they both go 1-1-1. We really f***ed ourselves with how shit they've been when they had all those games in hand.

Yeah that's when I knew the season was toast. When everyone was crowing about games-in-hand and meanwhile they were going out there and shitting the bed every night.

Loved giving points away earlier this year when GCR was getting absolutely caved in and everyone on the team simply acted like it wasn't happening for like ten straight games or whatever.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
:cry:

Wait.... no...
:dm:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So is this the the worst year in the Crosby era then?
Mike Johnston's Pens reached 98 points. They had a +11 GD.
We're at 88 points with 3 games left, with a -2 GD.

Sid's rookie year was rough but it accomplished what it was supposed to, a high draft pick.
Pens were supposed to be good in 2006, so probably that one. All in all it’s the worst year in the Sid and Geno era.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So is this the the worst year in the Crosby era then?
Mike Johnston's Pens reached 98 points. They had a +11 GD.
We're at 88 points with 3 games left, with a -2 GD.

Sid's rookie year was rough but it accomplished what it was supposed to, a high draft pick.
Well in the Sid era, you still have 05-06 which was shockingly bad. I'm not sure the post-Sid/Geno injury team in 2011 would be fairing much better honestly.

I would say that this is the worst Pens team in the Crosby+Malkin era though in terms of performance. We had some blah rosters in the past but with prime Sid+Geno to balance it out (think 2010 and even 2015). I don't think we have a bad roster on paper, I think we just have a wealth of guys underperforming.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Boring. It's all so boring.
Win Saturday or ready the tee time.
Any loss is basically the season.
Nothing else much to say about it that has not been said.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Boring. It's all so boring.
Win Saturday or ready the tee time.
Any loss is basically the season.
Nothing else much to say about it that has not been said.
Its pretty simple. We gotta win out and pray that the Isles or Cats lose 1 regulation game.

So basically out of 6 games we need to see 1 loss and nothing in OT. Gotta hope Ovi is feeling frisky tbh

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Well in the Sid era, you still have 05-06 which was shockingly bad. I'm not sure the post-Sid/Geno injury team in 2011 would be fairing much better honestly.
Yeah 2005-06 is the right answer. Asking for playoffs was a stretch but that was a shocking record.
I would say that this is the worst Pens team in the Crosby+Malkin era though in terms of performance. We had some blah rosters in the past but with prime Sid+Geno to balance it out (think 2010 and even 2015). I don't think we have a bad roster on paper, I think we just have a wealth of guys underperforming.
That's what I meant, the worst season relative to roster strength and expectations. This is a fairly loaded top 6 and a pretty good D-corps on paper. Jarry was just coming off a .919 season and the backup was serviceable too.
They would have been pretty justified to miss in 2010-11 with the injuries. Overachievers.

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah 2005-06 is the right answer. Asking for playoffs was a stretch but that was a shocking record.

That's what I meant, the worst season relative to roster strength and expectations. This is a fairly loaded top 6 and a pretty good D-corps on paper. Jarry was just coming off a .919 season and the backup was serviceable too.
They would have been pretty justified to miss in 2010-11 with the injuries. Overachievers.
I tell ya though, that off-season after getting Sid and watching Craig Patrick load up...man oh man, what a time to be alive.

Got Sid
Had Geno but it was iffy
Had Mario
Had Recchi
Had Fleury
Signed Gonchar, Palffy, LeClair, Thibault (lol)
-mind you this is before we knew they would be crap.

And then...poof...gone...like diarrhea through the fingers.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I don't even want to talk about the game. Pens winning keeps it interesting, that I can say. Those who are pining for Fleury in nets, get real!

I already expect Florida to make it. When you get 58 shots against and still win 7-1 means you've in the groove! Hurricanes still have to win the division, so there is that potential loss.

I honestly expected Tampa to beat the Islanders. That Islanders win pretty much sealed out fate. Flyers/Caps have lost 5 straight, so that's done. Habs are the only possibility here...which...ugh.

Reactions: Andy99

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Would be pretty funny if all we need to make it is beat Columbus on the final day of the season and still find a way to lose. Preferably after holding a lead in the third and with the Jackets needing to lose to guarantee best lottery odds.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm fairly confident between the 2 of them, the Panthers or Isles will lose a game.

I'm much less confident the Pens will win out.
I don’t think the Cats and Isles are facing anyone that will be as eager or interested in beating them as they are in winning..in other words, neither will lose a game so it doesn’t matter what the Pens do lol… but if there’s a game for the Pens to lose, it’s Saturday lol

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Where the Pens shit themselves was all the blown leads this year. Or even the games where they gave up the winner with less than 5 minutes left in the third. Even a handful of extra OT/SO losses in those games would have seen the Pens comfortably in the playoffs.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Would be pretty funny if all we need to make it is beat Columbus on the final day of the season and still find a way to lose. Preferably after holding a lead in the third and with the Jackets needing to lose to guarantee best lottery odds.

Columbus has already proven that no matter how hard the Pens choke, they will not accept that result. The Jackets didn't take our (attempted) gift of 2 points a couple of weeks ago, and they won't take it next week either.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don’t think the Cats and Isles are facing anyone that will be as eager or interested in beating them as they are in winning..in other words, neither will lose a game so it doesn’t matter what the Pens do lol… but if there’s a game for the Pens to lose, it’s Saturday lol
It's the NHL. Bad teams still win sometimes.

I'm actually not that worried about the Isles or Panthers winning out. I'm more worried that the Pens will also fail to win out. I think if we go 3-0 we get in, and we should go 3-0.

One of those other teams will lose a game. Maybe both will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad