Votes: 4 12.1%
  • It’s Sullys fault

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don’t see how we miss the playoffs. Would need to be really bad for a sustained amount of team which outside of that weird start to the season we really haven’t been. We just in like every other game.
True.

Also hard to see us move beyond a WC though. Long odds of going beyond that frustrating 1st round exit, but I suppose this year at least that won't be as much of a failure as we will in all probability lose to a better/significantly better team.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
True.

Also hard to see us move beyond a WC though. Long odds of going beyond that frustrating 1st round exit, but I suppose this year at least that won't be as much of a failure as we will in all probability lose to a better/significantly better team.
Not sure if getting 2nd or 3rd is even desirable anymore. Is drawing the Rangers or Devils a reward? The Rags look like legit contenders now. I've watched their games recently.
And the Devils have the best GD in the East besides Boston.
Much like last year, there just is no good matchup.

Out of all East playoff teams I like how we play Toronto the most, but it's impossible to play them in R1.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Not sure if getting 2nd or 3rd is even desirable anymore. Is drawing the Rangers or Devils a reward? The Rags look like legit contenders now. I've watched their games recently.
And the Devils have the best GD in the East besides Boston.
Much like last year, there just is no good matchup.

Out of all East playoff teams I like how we play Toronto the most, but it's impossible to play them in R1.
we've stood up reasonably well to Tampa Bay as well but would need crazy good goaltending to do that in a best of 7. Irrelevant, I reckon, as the point is moot.

Rags are feeling it now for sure, but they're still fragile. They sucked before Trouba had his helmet-throwing tantrum in early December. Sadly, Tarasenko looks like a great fit right now.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I don’t see how we miss the playoffs. Would need to be really bad for a sustained amount of team which outside of that weird start to the season we really haven’t been. We just in like every other game.
With 29 games left in the season, and 63 points in the standings, we would need at least 17 wins to get to 97, which is generally the bar for making it in. That's a 17-12 record over the rest of the season. That's pretty good odds-wise but still very feasible to drop out.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
we've stood up reasonably well to Tampa Bay as well but would need crazy good goaltending to do that in a best of 7. Irrelevant, I reckon, as the point is moot.

Rags are feeling it now for sure, but they're still fragile. They sucked before Trouba had his helmet-throwing tantrum in early December. Sadly, Tarasenko looks like a great fit right now.
Fair point with Tampa. Playoff Vasilevskiy still terrifies me though. Gimme summa dat Matt Murray instead lol.

The Rags are controlling territory more now and Shesterkin has been trending upwards for a while. They are so much more structured than us. Their style screams "playoffs" to me.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wow the pens beat two lottery pick teams and got royally punked by playoff bound team during the California trip.

What are you lot wearing to the parade?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's cool that GCRak is doing well but it's only a matter of time before Sullivan goes "Yeah we're winning and that line's playing well but what if GCRust could be even better!" then the team goes on like a 2-9-4 slide.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Not to be that guy, but this was a concerning win if there ever was one. Have a 2-0 lead when you're a fringe playoff team against a horrible team and almost blow it because you refuse to play conservatively. Either Mike Sullivan is a moron or the players just do what they want. Either scenario is fixed by getting rid of Sully. Just like every game against the Rags in the playoffs last year, they had a lead where they could have just clamped down defensively and likely got to the next round. They flat out refuse.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Not to be that guy, but this was a concerning win if there ever was one. Have a 2-0 lead when you're a fringe playoff team against a horrible team and almost blow it because you refuse to play conservatively. Either Mike Sullivan is a moron or the players just do what they want. Either scenario is fixed by getting rid of Sully. Just like every game against the Rags in the playoffs last year, they had a lead where they could have just clamped down defensively and likely got to the next round. They flat out refuse.
I agree with this statement. It seems they're kind of naive/stupid in this kind of situations. To me a coach is a teacher and Sully seems to be not that great of a coach/teacher.

Also this:

Preparation, system, minutes etc. This is all on Sully....

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I left Rakell on the bench for my fantasy team and lo and behold - he got 3 points, the Pens won, all the teams fighting with the Pens for a playoff spot lost, even Ovi left for Russia. :)

As for the game itself, gotta agree with what's already said - the win is nice but only one line and the goalie playing well isn't going to cut it in most games. Especially with this abomination of a PP. We played the Sharks two weeks ago and the PP scored two goals in something like 15 seconds. Clearly the Sharks have learned their lesson for that and we haven't. Why am I not surprised.

Also, funny how Guentzel was so good, yet his two goals were a lucky bounce off the post and the goalie and and an empty-netter. It's weird to say that considering the number of goals he has but we need him to be more opportunistic, too many games in which he has gazillion chances and fails to score. Still, more proof that the team does better with Rakell on L1, I wonder if Sully will finally learn his lesson and stop pushing for Rust on that line.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Jinx post

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Lol, the SJ commentator ripping into Blueger when he missed the ENG. Brutal
What they don't know, is that we're sending Blueger there for Meier....:sarcasm:

Game was on too late for me but it looks like Rust is continuing to tank any line he’s on.
Rust needs to be traded before it's too late and his value ends up being negative!! I still think he is worth something out there and we can get decent assets back. But with Hextall, who the hell knows what he is planning!!

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
+1st+Pickering? yea I'd do that. Then walk away from Dumo and Zuck in the summer to make a deal for Meier.
I'm ok with that but I ain't really no fan of walking away from both those players. If that's the plan, trade them at the TD and get some assets back. Meier can step in for Zucker, we can add a bit of depth from assets received in a Zucker and Dumo trade.

I've been saying it all year and I see it coming, both those guys will be lost for nothing and Jarry too and Hextall will have done nothing about it to try and get pieces back. And for the fans who think we need them for the playoffs if we make it, no we don't, we ain't winning shit so we're keeping them for nothing, I guess 2 home playoff games!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad