Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Sens |2-0 win| DeShutout: No 500 goal, talk about a snooze fest

Goal #500 will come:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Seems like we decided to play better defense because Jarry wasn't there to bail us out. DeSmith was very good but it helps when your forwards actually play defense for a change. :)
Considering how many chances the Sens created against us in the previous two games, I think this boring, low-event type of game was the right approach. We are also noticeably better at not allowing goals when the other team pulls the goalie than we were in the beginning of the season. I guess the attack could have been better and we were lucky the refs didn't whistle for some of our infractions but a win and giving CdS a big boost of confidence is very nice to see.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I am not saying I don't share some of your concerns. I think we are in agreement about a few elements that ideally should be different.

But the exit against the Isles last season WAS about Jarry more than anything. The gulf in performance between him and Sorokin was ridiculous. More importantly though, there is no team in professional sport that throws in the towel on competing when it is evidently as competitive as this team is. It won a division title last year and is hovering around the top 5 league wide this season after a tough start missing most our star power.

We need some things to break for us to be realistic contenders at the end, but beyond asking for our best players to be healthy for that dance and Jarry to play like he has this season so far, it's not a lot. No management would think of selling off/rebuilding in this scenario, nor should they.

NB: Sully might not sit ZAR and one can debate the wisdom of that all day. He is very unspectacular, but with Blueger and McGinn that line has a particular role in which he does a job. But in any case those guys mentioned now make up the 4th line, and we have Malkin, Blueger and Zucker out. Would I like someone else to be tried over Simon these days.... yes. But at least Zohorna is consistently getting more minutes than those guys now, and him upstaging those guys is one of the pieces that needs to fall into place, as he brings some of what we need more of.

Fair points all.

I would add that if this organization was really serious about competing this year, they should be trying to find a that certain spark that will give them an edge come playoffs. Having a 4th line that does a particular job is fine when you have superstars in you top 6 dominating play. They can still do that on the occasion, but not something to be counted on. The Pens should be giving long looks to Poulin, Puus, Bellerive, Nylander, Angello and Z up and down the lineup. If they stumble into one or two that hit, the roster now can score on all 4 lines.

But Sulky is comfy, he likes ZAR/Simon/ Boyle...suddenly EROD...... low risk, low reward players.... blech

Hell, Sully won't even try something different with the first line. TOO COMFY

#fire sully

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Matheson was a monster tonight. Seemed like every decision he made was the correct one. Maybe his best game as a Pen

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If anyone wonders why Crosby “only”has 499 goals compared to whatever Ovechkin has….the last 30 seconds of this game is your answer.

Two totally different players, but I pick 87 everytime.

Lol, no way. Ovechkin >> Crosby AINEC. Look here:

Player Comparison: Sidney Crosby vs. Alex Ovechkin | Stathead.com

Ovechkin's 185.1 point shares is significantly higher than Sid's 165.6. Ovechkin's adjusted goals is also near 900 which is insane.

Never mind that Ovechkin has 2500 more shots, a worse shooting percentage, and worse points & point shares per game. And totally ignore that when adjusting for those shots and % differences that Crosby would have 862 goals right now.

Ignore playoff success too, while you're at it.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Zucker sucked last night.

;)

Sid has definitely been the better hockey player than Ovechkin holistically for his career, but the desire to give him credit for games he didn't play and shots he didn't take to diminish Ovechkin is dumb. Gretzky's goal record was thought to be unbreakable and Ovechkin is going to do it. Not in theory or extrapolated or any of that, but in actuality. That's incredible and may vault his legacy above Sid's, right or wrong.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Zohorna’s gotta stay in the lineup. He brings too much with that big frame of his, including the occasional sense of danger in the offensive zone, that a dude like Simon can’t provide.

Our issue becomes the choice is between Zohorna or ZAR if we are close to healthy. And just take a wild guess who coach calls 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: Shady Machine

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
+Both Goalies played well
+1st line is great and all 3 are playing high level
+Kap, Zohorna had good games without stats

-I'm seeing this trend late in games and it makes me know that ZAR, when healthy, will be nice and comfy...when Sully rolls out the 2nd line who's missing? Kap and who comes in ZAR.
So come playoff time I'll put money on late games even tied ones when Geno spills over the boards Mr. Wet Blanket will be next to him.

Simon- waived
Boyle- needs rotated out
ZAR- traded cause our coach won't remove him or play him like a player that doesn't deserve a locked spot or a big role. Yet he gets both.

If all 3 were replaced with anyone from WBS I find it hard to believe we'd see a negative impact....that bar is set soo low.

Sincerely,
Your friendly neighborhood keyboard expert
another terrible pessimistic and makes no sense post from a keyboard expert
Sincerily, Season Ticketholder

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Zucker sucked last night.

;)

Sid has definitely been the better hockey player than Ovechkin holistically for his career, but the desire to give him credit for games he didn't play and shots he didn't take to diminish Ovechkin is dumb. Gretzky's goal record was thought to be unbreakable and Ovechkin is going to do it. Not in theory or extrapolated or any of that, but in actuality. That's incredible and may vault his legacy above Sid's, right or wrong.

I hate the comparison of the two. They play different positions, different roles. There's absolutely zero doubt to me Sid is the better all around player and guy you pick every time. His play in all 3 zones and being a center makes him way more valuable.

That said Ovi is a machine. He's right up there with the greats and I agree he breaks the record someday. He's the greatest scorer and deserves his own recognition.

People just get bent trying to compare. Even with Sid's insane career, it's always a what if...if he had Ovi's durability. My goodness he'd be knocking on the door of the big 3.

As things probably end. Both Sid and Ovi are top 10 all time players regardless.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
another terrible pessimistic and makes no sense post from a keyboard expert
Sincerily, Season Ticketholder

Sir, as a season ticket holder, you clearly are jaded to a view like our coach. Watching at home I'm able to analyze into depths a real life watcher can only fathom.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Seems like we decided to play better defense because Jarry wasn't there to bail us out. DeSmith was very good but it helps when your forwards actually play defense for a change. :)
Considering how many chances the Sens created against us in the previous two games, I think this boring, low-event type of game was the right approach. We are also noticeably better at not allowing goals when the other team pulls the goalie than we were in the beginning of the season. I guess the attack could have been better and we were lucky the refs didn't whistle for some of our infractions but a win and giving CdS a big boost of confidence is very nice to see.
its interesting how perception changes when you actually don't get scored on...Sens were credited with 18 chances and 9 HDCF. they still had higher xGF than us...so I would give a little bit more props to CDS

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Missed the game but watched extended highlights. Super happy for Murray. I hope this is the start of him getting back to consistency as a top 10 goalie. DeSmith looked solid, but his style just reminds me too much of LOL Fleury mode and makes me nervous. An upgrade there is still job #1 IMO.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Missed the game but watched extended highlights. Super happy for Murray. I hope this is the start of him getting back to consistency as a top 10 goalie. DeSmith looked solid, but his style just reminds me too much of LOL Fleury mode and makes me nervous. An upgrade there is still job #1 IMO.

He’s got a 920+ in his last 16 starts or something.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
its interesting how perception changes when you actually don't get scored on...Sens were credited with 18 chances and 9 HDCF. they still had higher xGF than us...so I would give a little bit more props to CDS

Sens 9 HDCF compared to the Pens 6 HDCF…when you look overall at the stats from NST, I don’t know where the impression comes from that the Pens dominated this game and if it wasn’t for Murray, the Pens would have won by a larger margin…definitely agree it’s probably the opposite lol…I guess people just look at shot totals…the Pens rarely got in Murray’s grill and our defense was worse than Ottawa’s

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Never mind that Ovechkin has 2500 more shots, a worse shooting percentage, and worse points & point shares per game. And totally ignore that when adjusting for those shots and % differences that Crosby would have 862 goals right now.

Ignore playoff success too, while you're at it.

To be totally fair, even if Sid had played in as many games as Ovi has, there's no way he'd have as many goals. Ovi has 260 more goals in only 169 more games. I still think Sid is the "better overall player" broadly speaking, but Ovi is an absolute monster goal-scorer in a way Sid simply isn't.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
giphy.gif

I don't think I'm going to change any minds here. If people are blind to their beliefs that's on them. It doesn't bother me.

What annoys me is continually obsessing about role players.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
He’s got a 920+ in his last 16 starts or something.

Do you honestly trust him to come in and start a playoff game if TJ gets injured in warm ups?
I certainly do not.

Again I recognize he is who he is- a "career backup". No knock against him bc he's overcome a lot due to his size alone.
I think this team should get a "slightly better/experienced career backup"

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
To be totally fair, even if Sid had played in as many games as Ovi has, there's no way he'd have as many goals. Ovi has 260 more goals in only 169 more games. I still think Sid is the "better overall player" broadly speaking, but Ovi is an absolute monster goal-scorer in a way Sid simply isn't.

While that's not what I said or even the "point" I was making, I agree. I was just trying to stoke some fires cause I'm a butthole.

Reactions: KareemTrustfund

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Do you honestly trust him to come in and start a playoff game if TJ gets injured in warm ups?
I certainly do not.

Again I recognize he is who he is- a "career backup". No knock against him bc he's overcome a lot due to his size alone.
I think this team should get a "slightly better/experienced career backup"
I'm assuming he's talking about Murray.
CDS is certainly not .920 in his last 16 starts :laugh:

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't think I'm going to change any minds here. If people are blind to their beliefs that's on them. It doesn't bother me.

What annoys me is continually obsessing about role players.
I would say you're also blind to your beliefs though. More unwilling than anyone else on the board to accept different view points.
It comes off as pretty arrogant tbh.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I would say you're also blind to your beliefs though. More unwilling than anyone else on the board to accept different view points.
It comes off as pretty arrogant tbh.

It's pretty easy when someone says a two time winning coach is "a turd". That's beneath me. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad