Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Sens |2-0 win| DeShutout: No 500 goal, talk about a snooze fest

Goal #500 will come:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To be fair if you pick on a guy who is at the very end of his illustrious career as the third or fourth greatest player in franchise history (among some absolute legends) amid some truly debilitating injuries and attendant surgeries to correct them then you are bound to be right EVENTUALLY.

And won't we all be so impressed whenever that is? What brilliant prognostication abilities. It's like that time I said for like ten years straight that Peter Forsberg was massively overrated and was going to drop off a cliff. And then he totally did when he was old and had sustained a career's-worth of bad injuries. Everyone revel in my knowledge and foresight.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's pretty easy when someone says a two time winning coach is "a turd". That's beneath me. Sorry.
Yeah but you tend to take takes thrown out by the few and project them onto the board at large. If you have beef with someone you could deal with them directly. Instead you use it as an excuse to insult the masses, to stroke your own ego.

For example I think your Malkin takes are dumb and completely ignorant of how effective he's been here even in recent years. I'm assuming it's agenda driven because his body language rubs you the wrong way and he takes unnecessary penalties once in a while.
You're the only one on the board I've seen who feels he's a net negative for the team over the course of a full season though.

But I can tell you that directly without involving everyone else.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
You're the only one on the board I've seen who feels he's a net negative for the team over the course of a full season though.

Geno was a net negative for us in the RS last year, but quite good in the playoffs.

He has been tremendous every time he has been on the ice since...maybe '10-'11. Like '17-'18? Gross good. The COVID year before COVID? Ungodly.

In '18-'19, he was really just saddled with the Black Hole/bad player known as Phil Kessel. Not remotely his fault.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Geno was a net negative for us in the RS last year, but quite good in the playoffs.

He has been tremendous every time he has been on the ice since...maybe '10-'11. Like '17-'18? Gross good. The COVID year before COVID? Ungodly.

In '18-'19, he was really just saddled with the Black Hole/bad player known as Phil Kessel. Not remotely his fault.
I mean I've seen him say he doesn't elevate linemates, which is outrageous. Kapanen flourished last year with Malkin. Our best 5v5 producer. McCann was great with him too.
Kessel when he got 92 points? Neal when he got 40 goals?
Rust when he was one of the best RW's in the league outta nowhere in 2019-20?
Hornqvist with 29 goals at age 30, with his beaten up body?

Yeah, sure. Last year maybe Duguay has a case. It was a rough first 10 games or w/e and Geno only ended up playing 33.
He talks about his whole career like this though, like it's always been that way.

Let's give Malkin Rust and Guentzel for a year and we'll see if he's a net negative.
So far this year Malkin has gotten lazy Kap version, ERod who's returning to his norm, Carter who every second game has terrible puck management+defending, Heinen and McGinn. I don't feel that Heinen played well at all with Geno, and that's on him. He's not a top 6 lock player to begin with. Same can be said of McGinn. They got overwhelmed by the assignment.

Not gonna argue that Geno's played amazing at 5v5 but there's not been much help either. He's made for it with the PP in spades though, pole vaulting it up the rankings immediately since returning. Our goals per game went up by a full goal with him vs without him.

He's not responsible for his return coinciding with a bunch of guys playing worse defensively, especially when he's not even on the damn ice at the time they f*** up :laugh:

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean I've seen him say he doesn't elevate linemates, which is outrageous. Kapanen flourished last year with Malkin. Our best 5v5 producer. McCann was great with him too.
Kessel when he got 92 points? Neal when he got 40 goals?
Rust when he was one of the best RW's in the league outta nowhere in 2019-20?
Hornqvist with 29 goals at age 30, with his beaten up body?

Yeah, sure. Last year maybe Duguay has a case. It was a rough first 10 games or w/e and Geno only ended up playing 33.
He talks about his whole career like this though, like it's always been that way.

Let's give Malkin Rust and Guentzel for a year and we'll see if he's a net negative.
So far this year Malkin has gotten lazy Kap version, ERod who's returning to his norm, Carter who every second game has terrible puck management+defending, Heinen and McGinn. I don't feel that Heinen played well at all with Geno, and that's on him. He's not a top 6 lock player to begin with. Same can be said of McGinn. They got overwhelmed by the assignment.

Not gonna argue that Geno's played amazing at 5v5 but there's not been much help either. He's made for it with the PP in spades though, pole vaulting it up the rankings immediately since returning. Our goals per game went up by a full goal with him vs without him.

He's not responsible for his return coinciding with a bunch of guys playing worse defensively, especially when he's not even on the damn ice at the time they f*** up :laugh:

"This guy gets it"

Judging a guy on one super shortened season late in his career with injuries being a thing seems totally reasonable though wouldn't you agree? Particularly when the majority of those 30some games were up to his usual standard.

But I'd love to hear more about OUR agendas.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
My opinions on Malkin are future related. Saying “why trash a guy that’s done so much?”…it because he’s not #87. And u should only sign one fading superstar.

don’t take it personally. That’s kinda the problem.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
"This guy gets it"

Judging a guy on one super shortened season late in his career with injuries being a thing seems totally reasonable though wouldn't you agree? Particularly when the majority of those 30some games were up to his usual standard.

But I'd love to hear more about OUR agendas.

I think you're taking it a bit too far here.

If Geno is an album, I'm saying it's a 10/10 but I didn't like one particular track (2021 RS). Okay I wasn't wild about '10-'11 either.

Do we have to uniformly approve of every season of a player's career or can we say "love the guy but this wasn't his best work."

I never want to be on the same side of anything with Rondu, who has legit claimed that Malkin stopped caring in 2012. When he has been better than Sid for half that time basically.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hey guys rondu thinks we don't remember that he's been taking pot shots at his Favorite Player for years, now.

I guess he really does think we're pretty stupid.

I think you're taking it a bit too far here.

If Geno is an album, I'm saying it's a 10/10 but I didn't like one particular track (2021 RS). Okay I wasn't wild about '10-'11 either.

Do we have to uniformly approve of every season of a player's career or can we say "love the guy but this wasn't his best work."

I never want to be on the same side of anything with Rondu, who has legit claimed that Malkin stopped caring in 2012. When he has been better than Sid for half that time basically.

EDIT: @DocEmrickSkitters -- Oh come on now... I NEVER take anything too far. lol

Intentional hyperbole is a weakness of mine, admittedly, for proving a point. Or to just be a jackass.

Last edited:

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I would add that if this organization was really serious about competing this year, they should be trying to find a that certain spark that will give them an edge come playoffs.
And outworking, rather than attempting to outskill, the other teams in the playoffs is certainly something that could be that certain spark in the playoffs. If the team is willing to commit to doing so.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Malkin is no longer Malkin, but he’s still the exact type of 2C so you can win a cup with and his shot looks better than it has for years.

Now that part is totally true. His shot DOES look more dangerous both on the PP and ES. The time off to heal has definitely helped that nagging shoulder issue.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
To be fair if you pick on a guy who is at the very end of his illustrious career as the third or fourth greatest player in franchise history (among some absolute legends) amid some truly debilitating injuries and attendant surgeries to correct them then you are bound to be right EVENTUALLY.

And won't we all be so impressed whenever that is? What brilliant prognostication abilities. It's like that time I said for like ten years straight that Peter Forsberg was massively overrated and was going to drop off a cliff. And then he totally did when he was old and had sustained a career's-worth of bad injuries. Everyone revel in my knowledge and foresight.
that is waaay more spread tactic than just here, thats how many media personalities work, keep repeating shit until happens and then claim genius status...

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad