Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Sabres Back-End | Get Swept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sid's up to 38 points on the season. Not bad for a low end 1C who is about on par with a Kuznetsov at this point.

I'm so annoyed with the fact Rakell was pulled off his line and took so long to go on PP1.

Sid would probably be 3rd in the league in scoring if we had just ran that since day 1 and we would be comfortable in 2nd in the East.

Curious how the next couple games go. If we can dominate the Canes and Rags like we have the other teams in this stretch I'll start believing in this team. The big thing I see that we haven't seen from this team in the past few years is they are fighting through bad performances and still winning. Usually it's been hot or cold.

I also just love our defense outside of Dumoulin.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm so annoyed with the fact Rakell was pulled off his line and took so long to go on PP1.

Sid would probably be 3rd in the league in scoring if we had just ran that since day 1 and we would be comfortable in 2nd in the East.
Yeah it was unnecessary. Even *if* they went with Rust for a couple of games if they thought it would be a spark, the fact they kept those lines for the entirety of the losing streak was ridiculous.

Hopefully Sullivan doesn't pull the plug on it the moment that line has a couple of rough games.
Curious how the next couple games go. If we can dominate the Canes and Rags like we have the other teams in this stretch I'll start believing in this team. The big thing I see that we haven't seen from this team in the past few years is they are fighting through bad performances and still winning. Usually it's been hot or cold.

I also just love our defense outside of Dumoulin.
I'm waiting until the playoffs. I think we've been burned too much by "strong" regular season performances the past handful of seasons and then not repeating that performance when it matters that it won't matter what they do the rest of the regular season, I'll be waiting to see a strong performance when the playoffs begin.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah it was unnecessary. Even *if* they went with Rust for a couple of games if they thought it would be a spark, the fact they kept those lines for the entirety of the losing streak was ridiculous.

Hopefully Sullivan doesn't pull the plug on it the moment that line has a couple of rough games.

I'm waiting until the playoffs. I think we've been burned too much by "strong" regular season performances the past handful of seasons and then not repeating that performance when it matters that it won't matter what they do the rest of the regular season, I'll be waiting to see a strong performance when the playoffs begin.

Obviously. I just think we finally have a group of defenseman that makes sense.

We have a group of forwards that makes sense.

If Sullivan can not just f*** it up we have four lines and three pairings that match-up versus trying to force Ruhwedel into the top six, or Matheson and Marino, or Rust on L1, or Kapanen with Malkin.

Carter can be a championship 3C if things swing the right way. I don't think he will be, and I'd like to improve on him, but he has the ability to go off in the playoffs as we've seen the last two years.

The skeleton is there, who knows how it breaks and who knows how much they don't give a shit next week. But they are winning games where they don't give a shit which is something we haven't seen over the past couple years. And I think Petry and Rutta have a TON to do with that. Calm, steady defenseman that make mistakes but don't freak out or play like shit because of it. Haven't had that since Daley and Cole.

Reactions: ZorkEnchanter

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
To be honest I thought we were very lucky to win. Buffalo controlled a lot of the play tonight. They were quicker to the puck and more dangerous off the rush. We're going to get a very tough test in New Jersey. These young quick teams will give us fits. And I suspect it'll only get worse as the season unfolds. We're winning games, but I see things I don't like. I just can't believe a team with their best players on the wrong side of 35 are going to seriously contend? Toronto's having a great year, and though we beat them the first time out they really handed it to us the last two times we played. Right now they might be the best team in the league. I think against the very best we don't measure up. Sorry to sound cynical but tonight we were pretty fortunate.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Buffalo fans on their board are salty rn haha. Apparently a take is that after the taking 4/4 points the Pens should rebuild because they’re old and didn’t dominate either game.
Buffalo has been so bad for so long at this point I'm not even sure if we should consider them a rival. Do we dislike them? Don't remember anything notable since Darius Kasparaitis.

Hard to take them or their fans seriously.

Missed the game. Anyone have any cid of the Petry incident?
Here:

A lot of season to go, but Petry avoiding injuy here, and 58 coming back in the same game bides well for our injury curse.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
As others have said, I really like the Defense makeup. (it's crazy how we go from completely structured and if you notice, we are using the trap sometimes) to nobody covers anyone. Just odd swings by this team- hopefully the current team shows up in the Playoffs.

Dumo... I'm not sure he's going to work himself out of this like Rust. He's really struggling out there... awareness, skating, coverage, passing, and the puck is just a grenade on him this year.

I'd love to see Hallander get some looks... maybe give Carter a maintenance day every few games to keep his legs fresh. Maybe:
McG - Blue - Kap
Arc - Po - Hall

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I get that people think I'm stupid. That's fine.

But then someone needs to actually teach me how to look for what makes us win "The Right Way".
I thought you were just making fun of the idiot BUF fan who was trying to troll the last PGT.

Playing the right way is winning the game. Who cares how. It's just a platitude.

I mean, you want to take no penalties, score on your powerplays, outshoot, outhit, and out position your opponents. But you know that.

If you win game 7 of the Stanley Cup because your opponent hit a bunch of posts and outplayed you up and down the ice, and you got one lucky goal to win 1-0. Guess what. You won.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
After our first three sets of back-to-backs, we had a 0-5-1 record in those six games.
Now, after seven sets of back-to-backs, we have a 6-6-2 record in those fourteen games. We've gotten back up to .500.
It makes such a big difference if the team we're playing on the second half is rested or not.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
We rode our luck quite a bit but so did the Sabres in the game in which they beat us, plus they are a lot younger, so no wonder they pushed us hard in the second half of the game. Feels nice to have the PP look dangerous and actually score. If Petry is all right I hope he remains on PP1, took some time to click but it finally looks properly threatening.
Crosby's goalscoring prowess 5 on 5 is something to behold, would be nice if Malkin manages to score but as long as the team is winning, this is really not that important. We keep bending but not breaking, gotta wonder what Jarry's third period save percentage since the end of our losing streak is, has it be something incredible because he has been stone cold like 2016 Matt Murray for the most part. And DeSmith manages to look great often enough for a backup, quite a difference from the start of the season.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
1. Who cares?

2. His defensive blemishes dictate this.

3. Who cares?
tSwkCD0.png

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Sure thing season ticket molder.

In that case Selke candidate Ovechkin likely gets zero such opportunities…oh wait.

4. You cater to your #1 center not your #2 center.

Ovechkin isn't a penalty or defensive turnover waiting to happen.

Even when this team wins a certain section of fanbase is still upset with something. This Malkin should be able to get open net goals too is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read here. But "here" is a favorite player message board forum mascaraing as a Penguins Messageboard.

Russia wouldn't put him out either. Neither would the pens if Sid would get hurt.

PS - The crowd was awesome last night. I hope the game thread matched its intensity.

• Haha
Reactions: BigEezyE22

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
1. Who cares?

2. His defensive blemishes dictate this.

3. Who cares?
Well, a lot of people care because that sort of narrative gets brought up quite a bit, doesn't it? So for you to ask who cares, the answer is many many people apparently.

As nuts as Sid's EVP's are, McDavid's got 27 PPP's in 28 games. On pace for 79...
Good lord.

Crosby has...7
Sid is no McDavid, so let's just set the record straight please. But he's still a very capable first line player. On the level of Kuznetsov.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
How in the hell is petry ok? I assumed he went off the ice directly to a hospital to get wrist surgery. Jesus
he can't hold a pencil but when he is just standing there, he feels fine. just wait till morning when the pain killers wear off.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
4. You cater to your #1 center not your #2 center.

Ovechkin isn't a penalty or defensive turnover waiting to happen.

Even when this team wins a certain section of fanbase is still upset with something. This Malkin should be able to get open net goals too is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read here. But "here" is a favorite player message board forum mascaraing as a Penguins Messageboard.

Russia wouldn't put him out either. Neither would the pens if Sid would get hurt.

PS - The crowd was awesome last night. I hope the game thread matched its intensity.
Is that how empty net situations go?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Sully has yet to send Malkin out for an empty netter this year.
I’m happy to point out when certain people are criticizing Malkin simply because he’s Malkin, but there was a play Friday night in OT, that, man… we’re on a 4-on-3 pp, it’s after the first change, so Carter is on for Sid but Geno is still on. Geno makes an absolutely horrendous pass to the other point, and it gets picked off. It’s only because the defender was gassed that it wasnt a breakaway.

Geno has been very good this year, but he still makes some very questionable decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad