Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Sabres Back-End | Get Swept

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Ovechkin isn't a penalty or defensive turnover waiting to happen.
:laugh:

Tell me you don’t watch hockey without telling me you don’t watch hockey.

Russia wouldn't put him out either. Neither would the pens if Sid would get hurt.
Russia has actually used Malkin in defensive roles before (unlike Ovechkin), they even purposely line matched him against Sid in the past.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
As nuts as Sid's EVP's are, McDavid's got 27 PPP's in 28 games. On pace for 79...
Good lord.

Crosby has...7
its over for Sid. Last night the jinx fest was unbearable, madden and all the ball suckers announcing Sid for Hart, and all that meaningless shit will finally put the stop on Sid's magnificent stretch...I just hope is cold streak not an injury

Shit if we’re talking about questionable decisions, what about being a middle aged person on the internet? Horrendous.
guilty of charge...

Reactions: HandshakeLine

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Malkin can't be out there during empty nets because his start/stop skating isn't good enough. It isn't his decision making and it definitely isn't his ability to win battles which is elite. But he is terrible defending in open space because he can get walked by 70% of the league. This wasn't the case when he was younger, but he has gotten marginally slower and the league has gotten much faster.

And yes, Carter's stop/start is better than Geno's.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thought it was a great start, but we fell into a shell mostly from the later part of the first period.
Pretty much on CDS, puck luck and Buffalo players missing wide open nets that they didn't make it back.

Lots of good from L1 and L4. As well as special teams. Malkin looked the slowest I have seen him this season. That guy needs a goal badly also. Still contributing, but not a lot of confidence in his shot.

Not getting why Zucker was demoted at all.

Letang back.... and maybe right on time considering the way Petry left the game. Have to say that as good as it is to have him back, it was also noticeable how often he didn't get clears and how often he iced it when he did. We were swamped the most when he was on the ice. His minutes needs to be managed more. Not like the others didn't prove capable in his absence.
yeah, something is wrong with his shots, most of his shots are just straight in thegoalie, he is still at his career average over 3 shots per game, but his shooting percentage is way below his averag, he is below 9% last year he was above 15%...

Reactions: Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm OK with Geno not getting out there for empty net situations.

I just think people need to keep that in mind when discussing his production and fancy stats start getting thrown around. I said it a few weeks ago...He's gets all the -'s when we have an empty net and none of the +'s when they have an empty net.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I just think people need to keep that in mind when discussing his production and fancy stats start getting thrown around. I said it a few weeks ago...He's gets all the -'s when we have an empty net and none of the +'s when they have an empty net.

On a side tangent, I don't know why they give minuses when giving up an empty net goal. It kind of skews the stat considering at that point you're not trying to play "defense". You're just putting all your effort into scoring a goal.

Then again I don't like minuses for getting scored on shorthanded, either. The plus/minus stat should be exclusive to even man situations.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
On a side tangent, I don't know why they give minuses when giving up an empty net goal. It kind of skews the stat considering at that point you're not trying to play "defense". You're just putting all your effort into scoring a goal.

Then again I don't like minuses for getting scored on shorthanded, either. The plus/minus stat should be exclusive to even man situations.
I'm OK giving a minus for getting scored on while you're on the PP, but agree with empty net situations.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Buffalo is seriously dangerous. The only thing they lack is that intangible to close out games. We could have easily been swept.

Yea but he's no Tage Thompson.

Well, none of them are Jake Beavis, either...

aXdTxaH.gif

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Just hope Petry isn't seriously injured, but it didn't look good.
I'm sure Beau would know ;). Seriously though, let's hope the for the best. What's great is we have the D depth to survive injuries.

Shit if we’re talking about questionable decisions, what about being a middle aged person on the internet? Horrendous.
Define middle aged...
I'm not sure where I stand these days :\.

That is a valid point.

Based on the stats:

Penguins Against Empty Net:
7 scored - 3 allowed (so +4)

Penguins With Empty Net:
2 scored - 5 allowed (so -3)

-------------
As for the game...
- Impressed with how the team is playing overall. The 4th line wasn't falling over itself this game. Geno is getting his points, but something seems to be bothering him. If need be, they should just give him games off during the season (assuming he doesn't get injured).

- I'm actually impressed with POJ, and that Sully is ACTUALLY giving him a leash to grow. I said this before, he needs to train more with Letang cuz he falls way too much..lol. I saw Letang talking to POJ early in the game, likely giving him tips. He is the perfect mentor, both Montreal born, and both french speaking. I love his stick work, and he's slowly getting better at they physical aspects of the game.

- Every line is bringing something to the table. To be fair though overall, the Sabres didn't come in with their A game, however, realistically they aren't supposed to be a good team, so all is right in the universe.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I’m happy to point out when certain people are criticizing Malkin simply because he’s Malkin, but there was a play Friday night in OT, that, man… we’re on a 4-on-3 pp, it’s after the first change, so Carter is on for Sid but Geno is still on. Geno makes an absolutely horrendous pass to the other point, and it gets picked off. It’s only because the defender was gassed that it wasnt a breakaway.

Geno has been very good this year, but he still makes some very questionable decisions
Geno is the poster child for Elite High risk/High reward.

Any fan that's followed his career knows he does amazing things and makes a High number of dangerous plays. He's one of a kind

Definitely not a great defend the lead guy, though...

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I like Malkin as much as the next guy, but I agree that he shouldn't be on the ice during EN situations. Malkin doesn't always make the smartest defensive decisions and it's not really a great time to make risky plays.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I like Malkin as much as the next guy, but I agree that he shouldn't be on the ice during EN situations. Malkin doesn't always make the smartest defensive decisions and it's not really a great time to make risky plays.
you misunderstand Geno. he only makes plays that no other player can do. it only looks like a bad decision when all the hockey gods get together to try to overcome his greatness.
edit; jealousy induced, I'm sure.:laugh:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
It would be interesting if someone had access to stats to document how we actually fare when Geno has been on the ice for empty net opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad