GDT: | Pens vs Sabres | 1700hrs EST | Last one before the big dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Non-idiot source:

Just catching up on things, but I think a trade is likely only in two scenarios: A 1-for-1 swap for a similar player with waiver eligibility or for cap relief.

* Nashville has cap space, but it's set at LD. Could it use a forward? Brock McGinn could be a candidate. Otherwise, you're looking at a 1-for-1 swap. Nashville does have a bunch of 20-21 year old forwards who are waiver eligible.

* Edmonton could maybe use a 6/7 defenseman like Friedman or Ruhwedel, not so much a need for a guy like POJ, but they're in cap hell. So you're not getting any cap relief there.

* Kings have a little bit of wiggle room, but I'm not sure they're a match for cap relief. They could actually use a guy like Pettersson on the left side, but you'd have to take about $2 million back for it work cap wise for LA and there really isn't a match in terms of contract/need. Bunch of prospects, though, for a 1-for-1 swap.

* Winnipeg fairly loaded at LD, but the Jets could be a candidate for bottom six help. Jets have cap space. Hello, Brock McGinn? Or Teddy Blueger (even though he didn't play tonight, maybe the Jets could've gotten an update...not sure how that works). Not really a swap match.

* Columbus also maybe not a LD match with Werenski, Gavrikov and Bean on the left side. But a bottom six fit? Maybe.

* Ottawa has $4 million in cap space and basically on Chabot on the left. How much do they trust 35-year-old Nick Holden? Is Jake Sanderson ready? He has zero pro experience. They also have Erik Brannstrom, who plays both sides. You could do a 1-for-1 swap, maybe POJ for someone like Cole Reinhardt. Or you could see if there is interest in Pettersson and get cap room.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
* Ottawa has $4 million in cap space and basically on Chabot on the left. How much do they trust 35-year-old Nick Holden? Is Jake Sanderson ready? He has zero pro experience. They also have Erik Brannstrom, who plays both sides. You could do a 1-for-1 swap, maybe POJ for someone like Cole Reinhardt. Or you could see if there is interest in Pettersson and get cap room.

Another thing to point out with this: Ottawa has POJ's brother from the Nick Paul trade last year.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Another thing to point out with this: Ottawa has POJ's brother from the Nick Paul trade last year.
Which is nice.

However, I'm still stuck on this - even if you trade POJ for someone with waiver eligibility, it doesn't solve the cap problem.

You trade POJ, send Poulin down, send Lindberg down. You're at 23 players, but you're still $730k over the cap.

That means you're either putting Poehling or Archibald, both of whom you just acquired, on waivers and running with 12 forwards. Or you're waiving one of Friedman or Ruhwedel and going with 7 defensemen.

Maybe they'll have no choice, but I'd have to think the Penguins would really be against starting the season with 22 players and no real cap space given their injury history.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Which is nice.

However, I'm still stuck on this - even if you trade POJ for someone with waiver eligibility, it doesn't solve the cap problem.

You trade POJ, send Poulin down, send Lindberg down. You're at 23 players, but you're still $730k over the cap.

That means you're either putting Poehling or Archibald, both of whom you just acquired, on waivers and running with 12 forwards. Or you're waiving one of Friedman or Ruhwedel and going with 7 defensemen.

Maybe they'll have no choice, but I'd have to think the Penguins would really be against starting the season with 22 players and no real cap space given their injury history.

They probably should just trade Blueger because Poehling has shown he is capable of replacing his role for $1.4 million less.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens can get down to the cap but that is not the best way to start the season. I would be good with McGinn going out and picks or prospects back, I like him as a player but Pens can ice a good 3rd line without him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McGinn might honestly cost a 1st to get rid of in the current market. Similar contract as Dickenson, but 2 years left instead of 1. Both underwhelming bottom 6 players. This is why you don't give depth role/players more than 2 year deals.

Stillman is actually fairly decent but yeah, that's mostly a cap dump.

Dickinson has 2 years left on his deal as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not according to cap friendly. Dickinson has 1 year left after this year. McGinn has 2 years left after this year.

My bad, I didn't realize you meant years after this year.

Regardless, I think the price the Canucks paid to get out of his deal is pretty manageable. Stillman is a halfway decent depth D, so it's not just purely trading a 2nd to dump Dickinson.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
My bad, I didn't realize you meant years after this year.

Regardless, I think the price the Canucks paid to get out of his deal is pretty manageable. Stillman is a halfway decent depth D, so it's not just purely trading a 2nd to dump Dickinson.
No, but I think it pretty much sinks the thought that McGinn doesn't have negative value.

I remember when he was signed a lot of people were praising JR for replacing Tanev cheaper. I'd gladly pay 750k more to swap them. Tanev at least did stuff. McGinn might be the most vanilla player in our long line of forgettable bottom 6 plugs.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
No, but I think it pretty much sinks the thought that McGinn doesn't have negative value.

I remember when he was signed a lot of people were praising JR for replacing Tanev cheaper. I'd gladly pay 750k more to swap them. Tanev at least did stuff. McGinn might be the most vanilla player in our long line of forgettable bottom 6 plugs.
RH signed McGinn, not JR…

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
RH signed McGinn, not JR…
200.gif

Now I remember Hextall was being praised for getting out of JR's 'mistake' with the Tanev deal just to sign McCann. Swing and a miss.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The smart move, as I’ve said before, is to waive McGinn, as CAR just did with Martinook, since no one will trade for him without trying to take assets to take him…theyre banking on teams not wanting to pay Martinook’s $1.8M salary over the next two years…Pens can do that with McGinn, an even worse contract…if someone takes him, fine…if someone doesn’t take him, he can still stay up and play with the Pens but the team clears $1,1M or so off the books, enough to be cap compliant…way better than waiving D depth

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The smart move, as I’ve said before, is to waive McGinn, as CAR just did with Martinook, since no one will trade for him without trying to take assets to take him…theyre banking on teams not wanting to pay Martinook’s $1.8M salary over the next two years…Pens can do that with McGinn, an even worse contract…if someone takes him, fine…if someone doesn’t take him, he can still stay up and play with the Pens but the team clears $1,1M or so off the books, enough to be cap compliant…way better than waiving D depth

Fair

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

This is such a high hockey IQ play. Sid gives Hinostroza a whack with his extended stick to feign like he's on his ass. He's crouching and in his blind spot, so Hinostroza can't tell. He panics and passes.
Sid anticipated his reaction from the beginning and was already in stride to cut off Klague. After that it's a slam dunk.

Sid knows that there's no other way to win this puck other than through deception.

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
If you waive McGinn, he has to go to the AHL for any cap relief.

You don't get any cap relief if you waive him and keep him in the NHL.

He has to go to the AHL, at which point you get $1.1 million in cap space (which means the Pens would have $394k in cap space on a 22 man roster by waiving and demoting McGinn)

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If you waive McGinn, he has to go to the AHL for any cap relief.

You don't get any cap relief if you waive him and keep him in the NHL.

He has to go to the AHL, at which point you get $1.1 million in cap space (which means the Pens would have $394k in cap space on a 22 man roster by waiving and demoting McGinn)
Well he has to go within 30 days or 10 games..but if we send him there, we can bank the cap savings and call him up again after a couple months…sucks for the player but hes kind of redundant on this team..but he’s good depth

The Pens waiting this long to get cap compliant tells me that the potential moves they could make are unpalatable.
Or they’re hoping a trade will materialize lol

Reactions: BusinessGoose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad