GDT: Pens vs Red Wings - 9/30/15: The Day Perron Gets His Shot.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
The process is obvious. He's being put there because of what he did 2-3 years ago. There isn't some deep, hashed out thinking going on in some dark film room.

All you do is make excuses for this team, and as you did last season, it made you look foolish.

Here is a question you can dance all around:

What progress has this team made since June 12th 2009?

Have fun with that.

Yeah he is GETTING A LOOK, because of what he did 2 years ago. Which makes COMPLETE SENSE. Especially since he did it with Crosby and someone nowhere near as talented as Kessel. You know who else will also GET A LOOK? Perron, Dupuis, Plotnikov, maybe even others. If he rebounds great, if he doesn't you move on. Just like they did last year until the next guy (Perron, Spaling etc) was just as bad.

All I do is try to look at individual decision as they are. Individual decisions. I don't try to pin every inconsequential move as some organizational conspiracy. You know who looked foolish last year? The guy that said Mike Johnston was scared to scratch Craig Adams, because that last time I checked happened. The guy that said he was scared to demote Kunitz, because last time I checked it happened.

Here a question for you? What does 2009-2013 have anything to do with the people currently making decisions? I'll wait for a coherent answer.

Last I checked, This team is more talented that it was when Shero was fired and has a system in place to better use that talent since Bylsma was fired. Last I checked when healthy last year and had the players required to run the system this team was lights out.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Do you have any evidence at all that line construction & player deployment is "insignificant"?

In the micro (per shift) it is significant, but in the macro the lines used on game one is insignificant. They WILL be different one way or another by season end.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's pretty obvious that Kunitz is getting a much greater 'look' than Perron is, and to me that means they favor Kunitz in that spot and want him to succeed more so than Perron, for whatever (probably terrible) reasons.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
It's pretty obvious that Kunitz is getting a much greater 'look' than Perron is, and to me that means they favor Kunitz in that spot and want him to succeed more so than Perron, for whatever (probably terrible) reasons.

He's getting the first look for many possible reason not limited to...

He's had success there in the past
They expect him to rebound from an admittedly bad year last year
If he does rebound is style would really fit with Sid and Kessel
That would leave Perron to help the 2nd line or anchor the 3rd

And again I will say, THIS IS NOT THE DECISION I WOULD MAKE. But that does not mean it cannot work, or that the coach is an idiot for trying it.

It think is painstakingly funny that others on here that poo poo any regular season success because you don't win the cup are the first people to ****** and moan about preseason and start of season lineup optimization like it game f'ing 7.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
People complain about the lineup decisions to start the season because the organization has had the exact same issues with lineup decisions in the playoffs. The fact that Kunitz will be on the first line shows that the organization has made no progress on lineup choices since all of the playoff failures.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lines from morning skate →
Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Bonino-Sprong
Farnham-Cullen-Perron

Defensive pairings from #Pens skate →
Scuderi-Maatta
Cole-Letang
Pouliot-Clendening-Dumoulin (all rotating)

They're really going to do it, aren't they. Just what the ****. I don't know what's worse, Scuderi-Maatta or Perron as the 4th line RW.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
People complain about the lineup decisions to start the season because the organization has had the exact same issues with lineup decisions in the playoffs. The fact that Kunitz will be on the first line shows that the organization has made no progress on lineup choices since all of the playoff failures.

Connecting dots that do not exist.

Its a preseason and early season lineup, it has nothing to do with future playoff lineups. It has nothing to do with organizational issues or progress.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
I think Perron ate Mario's cat, TPd MJs car and sacraficed a puppy at centre ice of CEC....

The only HOPE is that they know Perron can play 1st or 2nd line LW and if either Kunitz or Plots cannot hack it in the regular season then he can step in...and Sprong may not make the big club so Perron can step in to the 3rd line (like an early christmas present for him!!)...

Ok, there is no hope!

Actually, the other hope is that he is traded for a top 4 D and prospect/pick. Not because I want him gone but that would be preferable to him rotting on 4th line!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah he is GETTING A LOOK, because of what he did 2 years ago. Which makes COMPLETE SENSE. Especially since he did it with Crosby and someone nowhere near as talented as Kessel. You know who else will also GET A LOOK? Perron, Dupuis, Plotnikov, maybe even others. If he rebounds great, if he doesn't you move on. Just like they did last year until the next guy (Perron, Spaling etc) was just as bad.

All I do is try to look at individual decision as they are. Individual decisions. I don't try to pin every inconsequential move as some organizational conspiracy. You know who looked foolish last year? The guy that said Mike Johnston was scared to scratch Craig Adams, because that last time I checked happened. The guy that said he was scared to demote Kunitz, because last time I checked it happened.

Here a question for you? What does 2009-2013 have anything to do with the people currently making decisions? I'll wait for a coherent answer.

Last I checked, This team is more talented that it was when Shero was fired and has a system in place to better use that talent since Bylsma was fired. Last I checked when healthy last year and had the players required to run the system this team was lights out.

Your schtick is old bro. You try this whole passive aggressive attitude and do it poorly. You set yourself up and make it easy to embarrass you and counter any points you make pretty easily. Think things through more before clicking submit. Just a little tip.

Your coherent answer is quite easy to throw out, and if you thought this through before trying to sound clever, I wouldn't have to type this out:

The org didn't change much aside from JR. I pointed that out to you last spring when you were banging out excuses. You know, right before JR had whispers in his ear to move Despres. Did reality hit you then?

Kunitz was always getting that spot. Keep telling yourself there was ever a real competition there.

As for Adams, what did I say last summer, hmmm? He won't be scratched until he he breaks the iron man streak. If you didn't find that shameful... Well, bang out another excuse I guess.

I'm still waiting for an answer on my question. Don't dance around it.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
He's getting the first look for many possible reason not limited to...

He's had success there in the past
They expect him to rebound from an admittedly bad year last year
If he does rebound is style would really fit with Sid and Kessel
That would leave Perron to help the 2nd line or anchor the 3rd

And again I will say, THIS IS NOT THE DECISION I WOULD MAKE. But that does not mean it cannot work, or that the coach is an idiot for trying it.

It think is painstakingly funny that others on here that poo poo any regular season success because you don't win the cup are the first people to ****** and moan about preseason and start of season lineup optimization like it game f'ing 7.

I think it's painstakingly funny that you pretend coaches' decisions and thought processes don't matter because it's only preseason. When the regular season starts, the coaching staff don't all get brain transplants. Their processes and decisions as reflected in preseason generally continue throughout the regular season and playoffs.

It doesn't matter that Perron is playing on the third line RW in preseason. What matters is that the coach is moving a career left wing to right wing on a team that is severely lacking skilled LWers (as in Perron is the only one) Even in preseason, there are zero logical, consistent reasons to have Perron practice as a RW.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Reading this board really does suck the joy out being a fan of this team. Even though I do like to read to keep up with what's going on with the team news wise it's hard not to get caught up with the negativity.

but I truly just want to enjoy the season.

Christmas is far more enjoyable as a kid, yet no one believes in santa passed childhood. At some point, blind optimism is no longer blissful ignorance, it's stupidity.

If you're defending Kunitz, or MJ's decision to play him on the first line, you're Bylstarded.

Always fancied aBylsmal myself.

Last edited:

Penguinzilla*

Hear me now and believe me later. Kunitz is going to have a great year if he's on the 1st line. He's got Sid and Phil to do all the skill work. He can just bang and grind. He's a pretty good passer and still has a good shot. He'll do fine. I'll only get mad if he's on the 1st PP unit. That would be dumb.

Penguinzilla*

If you're defending Kunitz, or MJ's decision to play him on the first line, you're Bylstarded.

I defend the decision
keyboard-warrior-600x370.jpg

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Hear me now and believe me later. Kunitz is going to have a great year if he's on the 1st line. He's got Sid and Phil to do all the skill work. He can just bang and grind. He's a pretty good passer and still has a good shot. He'll do fine. I'll only get mad if he's on the 1st PP unit. That would be dumb.

When was the last time you saw Kunitz "bang and grind" ?

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh

He doesn't "bang and grind" anymore. That's the problem.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Kunitz hasn't hustled his ass off on a forecheck, hit with any sort of force, or been a guy to grind defensemen down in literally years.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I honestly don't think that anymore. Malkin to the wing to let Sutter play 2C and Perron as the 4th line RW are just as stupid as anything Bylsma ever did.

I really disagree. It's easy to forget all the dumb things Bylsma did.

Maybe I'm imagining it lol. Or wishful thinking

:laugh:

If Kunitz could at the very least bang and grind still, I think there would be a lot less animosity towards him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
At least twitter should be funny when this all blows up and the Pens have to look for positive things. Maybe they'll photoshop Kunitz as Superman.

Correct on both accounts.

The guy's been a lazy floater who fancies himself a sniper for several seasons.

I think, therefor I am.

Butcher the meaning like the Pens butcher everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad