• Flown to the moon

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Crosby has like 2 points (both goals) in his last seven and pointless in three. Malkin isn't exactly burning down villages but he's doing OK.

One has Rust stapled to him all game and the other doesn't.

I know Crosby and Malkin are "the guys" but it's ALWAYS mattered who their linemates are despite many seemingly being of the opinion that you just toss whatever with them and they can make it happen. It especially matters these days.

Rust being out on the ice for like every single EN opportunity is maddening.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Crosby has like 2 points (both goals) in his last seven and pointless in three. Malkin isn't exactly burning down villages but he's doing OK.

I know Crosby and Malkin are "the guys" but it's ALWAYS mattered who their linemates are despite many seemingly being of the opinion that you just toss whatever with them and they can make it happen. It especially matters these days.

You know what motivates Rust? getting called out in the media by the GM. JR did it and it worked, why can't Hex?

Maybe Rust can't hear anymore because his money and stanley cup rings are plugging his ears.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You know what motivates Rust? getting called out in the media by the GM. JR did it and it worked, why can't Hex?

I dunno. Why does the coach only choose to call out the guy that actually wins him games here and there and not the players that are sucking up good air and not much else?

I know a lot of people love this top six. I do not. I think they manage to make things very hard on themselves and there probably isn't one guy up there these days that can score "easy" goals.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I dunno. Why does the coach only choose to call out the guy that actually wins him games here and there and not the players that are sucking up good air and not much else?

I know a lot of people love this top six. I do not. I think they manage to make things very hard on themselves and there probably isn't one guy up there these days that can score "easy" goals.
I'm guessing the guys that don't get called out are more buddy buddy with the coach and you need to be buddy buddy with him. Like an old boss I used to have, if you didn't pretend to be her friend she drove you nuts. Dead end job, no raises ever...minimum wage for life. She was a bitch and I wasn't having none of that and found a better job.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I hope when Geno gets elected to the HOF he can get in a nice little dig for the coach who claims to have a great team concept going lol…

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so great game. Jarry with a great bounce back game.
But how long does this continue? I'm waiting for another injury report that he's injured again. Or he'll come in and let up 4 goals on 7 shots again, Or he'll get a shutout. Only way I want this clown on our team after this season is if we make the playoffs, and Jarry is healthy, and Jarry plays at a high level consistently in the playoffs. Short of that launch him to the moon, every goalie in the NHL is capable of a a performance like this (recalling a certain echl goalie for the habs that stoned us) the trick is being reliable and not actively losing games for you team. One game doesn't do that for me, gotta show me what you got in the playoffs Jarry otherwise go ruin some other team's chances.

Reactions: Andy99

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
View attachment 678911
HDC generation is not our problem. We do get a lot of quality looks. We've just gotten so used to them wasting them as fans that we don't take them seriously anymore.
Makes sense. Carolina, Pittsburgh and San Jose all have a ton of awful finishers.

Carolina doesn't even do zone entries lol, just dump and chase 24/7. So they put up a ton of shots.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
It'll be fun to look back at this game in the summer as the game that really put the Pens into the playoffs but also got Dumo, Jarry and Zucker extensions. :laugh:
They are not extending Dumo. Jarry is a maybe since he ruined his value with injury. Get him back under 5 mil and im all for it.

It's the only way Sully can pad his boy's stats because Rust can't score with the goalie in the net.
It's smart, maybe we can trick a hextall into taking a guy with empty net and padded secondary powerplay points, like Granlund.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

While Nylander wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire, you wonder if him being that 2nd line placeholder wouldn't do better than Rust.

G/C/Rak
Z/M/Nylander
Gran/Poeh/Rust

Yes...I don't know why I waste keystrokes with Rust on L3, but give me some damn hope!

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
They are not extending Dumo. Jarry is a maybe since he ruined his value with injury. Get him back under 5 mil and im all for it.

It's smart, maybe we can trick a hextall into taking a guy with empty net and padded secondary powerplay points, like Granlund.
I'm mainly joking, but I wouldn't be surprised one iota if they all came back. And for people to act like it's an impossibility feels, uhhhhhh, real naive. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yes...I don't know why I waste keystrokes with Rust on L3, but give me some damn hope!
I know we sound like broken records at this point, but it really is insane how Sullivan refuses to demote Rust no matter how little he produces. He's literally got something like 1 goal against an actual goalie in his last 20 games or whatever and he's still on L1.

What we're seeing play out with Rust is PRECISELY why I didn't want this club to re-sign him this past summer at any price.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

some interesting graphs…our goaltending definitely hasn’t been good enough the last aix weeks to say the least lol
NO!

GOALIES AREN'T SUPPOSED TO STOP PUCKS. Every goal against is because of the "HORRIBLE DEFENSE BEING PLAYED IN FRONT OF THEM"

Source: whack ass mother f***ing posts in post-game threads.

Saros faced like 50 shots last night. Let in 2. Yeah, his team lost, but when your sv% is like .960, YOU CAN SAY "it wasn't the goalies fault."

When Tristan Jarry let's in 69 goals on 3 shots: IT'S. NOT. THE. SKATERS. IT'S. THE. GOALIE.

CDS and TJ are bad. Full stop. Neither are good enough on a consistent basis for a team that wants to MAKE the playoffs, let alone actually win in them.

Yeah, Carter sucks. Yeah, Dumo sucks. YEAH f***ING LEAVE RUST ON THE 1ST LINE, I GUESS.

But at the end of the day: good goalies play like good goalies, regardless of the gong show in front of them. CDS and Tristan Jarry do not play like good goalies because they are not good goalies. Not because of Sullivan. Or Hextall (who could have and should have fixed this). Not because of Carter or Dumo or any other skater. They are not good because they're not good.

People need to stop saying otherwise. Stop defending the indefensible.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
NO!

GOALIES AREN'T SUPPOSED TO STOP PUCKS. Every goal against is because of the "HORRIBLE DEFENSE BEING PLAYED IN FRONT OF THEM"

Saros faced like 50 shots last night. Let in 2. Yeah, his team lost, but when your sv% is like .960, YOU CAN SAY "it wasn't the goalies fault."

When Tristan Jarry let's in 69 goals on 3 shots: IT'S. NOT. THE. SKATERS. IT'S. THE. GOALIE.

CDS and TJ are bad. Full stop. Neither are good enough on a consistent basis for a team that wants to MAKE the playoffs, let alone actually win in them.

Yeah, Carter sucks. Yeah, Dumo sucks. YEAH f***ING LEAVE RUST ON THE 1ST LINE, I GUESS.

But at the end of the day: good goalies play like good goalies, regardless of the gong show in front of them. CDS and Tristan Jarry do not play like good goalies because they are not good goalies. Not because of Sullivan. Or Hextall (who could have and should have fixed this). Not because of Carter or Dumo or any other skater. They are not good because they're not good.

It's not a binary argument though.

Yea goalies are paid to stop the damn puck, but the skaters in front of him are permitted to play defense and cover opposing F's who get to walk down mainstreet or are uncovered backdoor time and time again.

This is both a structural issue AND a goalie issue. Anything else is thin-slicing

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
50 muffins unscreened from the point

Is way different than 50 hard shots to the corners through legs

But CDS isn't great. Jarry is pretty good but breaks too often.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Yea goalies are paid to stop the damn puck, but the skaters in front of him are permitted to play defense and cover opposing F's who get to walk down mainstreet or are uncovered backdoor time and time again.

This is both a structural issue AND a goalie issue. Anything else is thin-slicing
No. It’s very very binary.

Our goalies are bad. Arguing otherwise is some weird need to find Jesus’ face on a piece of toasts. Good goalies make saves even when the defense breaks down. Our goalies don’t make those saves and the also don’t make the routinely mundane ones.

Because they’re bad.

50 muffins unscreened from the point

Is way different than 50 hard shots to the corners through legs

But CDS isn't great. Jarry is pretty good but breaks too often.
Tell you what, I really dislike these posts, but instead of calling you names, I’ll actually put something on the line:

We’ll go through every shot together. If there are more “unscreened muffins from the point” than any other shot (so at least 26) I’ll delete my account forever.

If there are fewer than 26 unscreened muffins from the point, you’ll do it.

Sound fair?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

He is there to keep frustrating Sid from getting points, by going offside ....

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
No. It’s very very binary.

Our goalies are bad. Arguing otherwise is some weird need to find Jesus’ face on a piece of toasts. Good goalies make saves even when the defense breaks down. Our goalies don’t make those saves and the also don’t make the routinely mundane ones.

Because they’re bad.

What I'm reading from your premise is that you think our team defense is "okay". If that's your stance, we're just going to disagree and call it a day

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
NO!

can we make this a sticky post that everyone has to read? If you are out shooting, out possessing, out high danger chancing your opponent it really does come down to goaltending. The biggest add by subtraction we can do is launch Hextall into the sun. zero trust that he can do anything right

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

it does no good to call out guy's that can't do better. but you need to callout guy's that can. .................. did I just defend sully? :madfire:curse you willy! now I need to find a shower.:shakehead

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Maybe Rust can't hear anymore because his money and stanley cup rings are plugging his ears.
Maybe the Penguins FO should start doing their damn jobs; Puus could have easily surpassed Rust's production this year for 5 million less.

I could have easily saved the Penguins 20 million dollars shaving off the waste of bad vet contracts, and the overall product would be much better.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010

my two cents, they are not mutually exclusive. yes our defense could be better at times. that said, last night was a good case in point. Our defense got burned a few times and Jarry bailed them out, Saros's defense got burned more often with some great chances as well that he bailed them out. So objectively nashville's defense got burned more then ours. Against detroit you can argue the same thing, or against montreal, or against the blue jackets, or, or, or... While our defense is far from perfect, if our defense surrenders less glorious scoring chances then our opponent then they kinda are holding up their end of the deal. imo....

This is about focusing on 90% of the problem (goaltending) not 10% (all the other stuff). Just because the 10% has some issues you'll get more results fixing the 90%.. just sayin...

Jarry had a great game. Sarros has been playing pretty much like last night most of the season.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad