Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Oilers | loss | Burn the tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Dumoulin is near-cooked and they have to adjust accordingly. Replace some of his 5-on-5 shifts with Rutta, POJ. Keep him fresher for D zone and PK. I think we can squeeze a productive year out of him with some tweaks.

Rakell looked awesome and his movement and shot mentality is needed on PP1. They’d be stupid not to put him there.

I have zero faith in Dumoulin at this point. He has too many games where he's constantly fumbling the puck or giving it away with a badly placed pass. And he doesn't really do a whole lot of "shutdown defending".

IMO if there's still one spot the Pens need to improve it's #1 LD. I don't think Pettersson or Pojo can do it and I don't think Dumoulin's that guy any longer.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
+ POJ looked decent enough
+ RR with some offense
+ We showed up in the 1st Period

--- Biggest issue since start of Season has been PP1. They are just awful.
- Holy shit. What kinda defense were we playing, some kind of zone where we don't cover people or space.
- We could not pass, we could not receive passes... even with time, it looked like we had a sand wedge or something.
- Letang and Dumo brain farts

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I thought POJ looked okay on the PP, but I didn't like his game at even strength. Also, the way Puljujarvi manhandled him at the end, made him look like an AHL scrub.
He made some bad passes, but he certainly wasn't alone. 97 abused him a couple times, but that's not really a fair measuring stick for POJ at this point in his career.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I thought POJ looked okay on the PP, but I didn't like his game at even strength. Also, the way Puljujarvi manhandled him at the end, made him look like an AHL scrub.
POJ was the only Penguin dressed tonight who ended up with positive possession stats. He may be a bit light on his skates, but his speed enabled him to shut down multiple rushes, including at least two in the third period.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I have zero faith in Dumoulin at this point. He has too many games where he's constantly fumbling the puck or giving it away with a badly placed pass. And he doesn't really do a whole lot of "shutdown defending".

IMO if there's still one spot the Pens need to improve it's #1 LD. I don't think Pettersson or Pojo can do it and I don't think Dumoulin's that guy any longer.
Here comes Chychrun. ;)

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
tumblr_m7ikhf0evv1qdmk7to1_400.gif
giphy.gif
b439a42c8382b07a7c6c2142061e9f99.gif

• Haha
Reactions: KapG

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
POJ was the only Penguin dressed tonight who ended up with positive possession stats. He may be a bit light on his skates, but his speed enabled him to shut down multiple rushes, including at least two in the third period.
I know people into analytics love him, but I'm only basing this off what I saw tonight

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think some blame goes to forwards for not supporting D enough. Gotta have guys back against teams like this. Not just in the area but BACK.

And when the D is constantly turning it over and it’s 3-4 guys it’s probably the forwards not making themselves realistic options.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
That Draisaitl goal is really one where either Tanger or Dumo need to ignore the puck and try to body check Drai out of position.

I know he is a big, strong guy, but this team of all teams should know that you've already lost against a skill player when you are defending them by reaching for the puck.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
what worries me
Jeff Petry has a Joe Melichar-esque ability to take multiple obstruction penalties on any given shift. Guy is too slow to pinch and take chances like he does. He's constantly out of position. He's like Matheson but slower, older, more expensive, and less dynamic. Not impressed so far.
With a heavy hart I have to agree

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I know people into analytics love him, but I'm only basing this off what I saw tonight
He's doing OK as long as you don't have huge expectations. He's able to make up for positioning mistakes/bad pinches with his speed, so more power to him, but he's pretty raw in NHL experience, so it's a little early to make any long-term judgments about him. There were certainly much bigger issues on D tonight than POJ.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Jeff Petry has a Joe Melichar-esque ability to take multiple obstruction penalties on any given shift. Guy is too slow to pinch and take chances like he does. He's constantly out of position. He's like Matheson but slower, older, more expensive, and less dynamic. Not impressed so far.

Weird. I think he’s been good. Most of his penalties are early season “show them how it’s going to be” bullshit.

Reactions: JTG

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Weird. I think he’s been good. Most of his penalties are early season “show them how it’s going to be” bullshit.
They look more like "Oh ****, this guy is going to score and I was supposed to be on him" bullshit to me. Look at the McLeod goal tonight. Carter, Petterson, and Drake back while Petry is strolling through no-man's land.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad