Who should be sent down when Petry is healthy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ever heard fans of other teams waxing lyrical about Jarry? I certainly haven't. I wonder why. He is a decent starter, yes, He is also replaceable. Not easily but replaceable nevertheless.

You can't know that for sure. Teams like Vegas and Toronto seem to be doing just fine despite scorning the supposedly safer goalie options they had at their disposal.

And the Pens did just fine with their average/above average goalies. They actually did win 3 cups with them in tow. They were/are thought to be core options.

The Pens have had little success since the cups, so there's not much to write home about. I assure you they see the Pens inadequate roster that's ever been changing since.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Yeah like... what team is clamoring to swoop in and steal Tristan Jarry out from under the Penguins' noses?

f***in' nobody guys. I promise. There's a reason for that and no that isn't a "lol Jarry sux" statement it's a "this position is ridiculous lets not sink money into it because that would be dumb" statement.

Yup. Move on and make a trade with someone agreeable to our structure.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I f***ing despise the Capitals so it would be a dream come true to watch them spend 12+ million a year on goaltending and further dig the ditch on the rest of their roster. Because that's what you do when you spend big on that position.
Yeah but who would we have in net? we would need to trade for a goalie. I am guessing they would go after Pittsburgh native Gibson.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
But then you get yourself into a spot where you are paying your goaltending tandem possibly north of like 7-10M?

That seems... not smart.
I think they're gonna be paying the tandem between $7-10 million regardless.

I'm just saying I don't really give a shit who it is because all options are probably trash in one degree or another. :laugh:

I expect them to default to Jarry, as much as I don't want them to. But it is what it is. Even if they trade Jarry or let him walk and go another direction for the starter, dude's almost assuredly gonna be making $5-6 million AAV.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Damaged goods (team oriented) older for the next 5 years for the same money Jarry is gonna ask for.

I don't see how that's any better.

I just think this is an area which needs an overhaul if you want to take some of the stale out. This goaltending tandem (also both made of glass) can't get it done in the postseason either the past 4 years either. As much as its fun to pin the whole thing on Sullivan, he's not going anywhere soon.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tell Tampa we want Vas. If they ask what are we giving them? just say just some crap.

For sure deal obviously.

Vas, is good, but he even is gonna come down from the heavens not being shorten seasons (and he has) 9.5 is even worse. Not everybody buys LTIR contracts to smooth that over.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I just think this is an area which needs an overhaul if you want to take some of the stale out. This goaltending tandem (also both made of glass) can't get it done in the postseason either the past 4 years either. As much as its fun to pin the whole thing on Sullivan, he's not going anywhere soon.

Yeah I get the core but I guess I don't understand why everyone is so content to just... roll with the same thing over and over. Why are we attached to these guys? They haven't done f***-all.

Like I said (and SEAL touched on this)... this team seems lazy, fat and kinda stupid right now. "Ohhhhhh it's finnnnnnnne... just give him whatever. He's such a nice guy. Plus what ELSE are we gonna do... our jobs? Hahahahahaha!"

Reactions: Night Shift

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just think this team's content with riding it out. I'm not saying what I want them to do, I'm saying what I expect them to do--which is basically f*** all, since they haven't seemed to give a shit about the team circling the drain for years, so I doubt we're gonna see them tug up on the controls now to pull things out of a tailspin as they barrel toward another 1st round exit or missing the playoffs entirely.

I think Jarry sticks around at market value. I think Zucker sticks around for a bit less than he's making now. I think they probably even hand Dumo a "hey pal thanks for everything, kick back and relax" bottom pairing deal. I'd be surprised if they didn't, tbh--and that goes for all of the above mentioned. I'm kinda iffy on Blueger, but I err on the side of the organization just shrugging and keeping things as close to as-is as possible. Cuz that's what they do anymore; try desperately not to rock the boat as the era winds down, hoping for the best but not doing enough to really alter the trajectory.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I am sure Caps are wanting Jarry, they love ex Pens.

Kuemper
Jarry
They just signed Kuemper for 5 years at $5+M…Jarry wants like $7M on a long term deal…he’s not signing with the Caps lol

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I just think this team's content with riding it out. I'm not saying what I want them to do, I'm saying what I expect them to do--which is basically f*** all, since they haven't seemed to give a shit about the team circling the drain for years, so I doubt we're gonna see them tug up on the controls now to pull things out of a tailspin as they barrel toward another 1st round exit or missing the playoffs entirely.

I think Jarry sticks around at market value. I think Zucker sticks around for a bit less than he's making now. I think they probably even hand Dumo a "hey pal thanks for everything, kick back and relax" bottom pairing deal. I'd be surprised if they didn't, tbh--and that goes for all of the above mentioned. I'm kinda iffy on Blueger, but I err on the side of the organization just shrugging and keeping things as close to as-is as possible. Cuz that's what they do anymore; try desperately not to rock the boat as the era winds down, hoping for the best but not doing enough to really alter the trajectory.

But it doesn't even make good sense.

Everything this team has accomplished has been directly AFTER the boat was rocked... hard. lol

Reactions: Night Shift

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
But it doesn't even make good sense.

Everything this team has accomplished has been directly AFTER the boat was shook... hard. lol
I didn't say it made sense, to be fair. Bringing back Kap didn't make sense. Re-signing the crumbling, mummified remains of super cool Coors Light meme that is Carter didn't make sense. f***, extending a coach who has been in charge of a team that's been El Stinko since 2018 before his *current* deal was even up for another two years didn't make *any* f***ing sense. :laugh:

Hextall ain't ol' Jimbo, for better or worse. He's not gonna hemorrhage assets/futures slinging shit at the wall haphazardly, which is good, but he's also never gonna take that homerun swing either, so the odds of a franchise altering move being made are pretty much nil. FSG seems to only give a shit about the real estate opportunity in downtown Pittsburgh first and foremost, and the hockey team they just so happened to acquire is an afterthought, imo. And all those homerun swings came when Sid and Geno were shitting on teams and putting up 100+ pts. /shrug

I mean, the roster's pretty well set and the cap structure's pretty set imo. Prepare to snooze while watching the same reruns of an ever-worsening, ever more boring product until Sid hangs 'em up. I think that's the reality, as much as it sucks.

As far as the goalie situation, I wanted to give Ullmark a shot when he left Buffalo. I doubt he hits the same level he's been at in Boston while with this team, but like you and others have said, it'd have been a different look. Shit's stale, boring, and damn near unwatchable if we're being honest.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Vas, is good, but he even is gonna come down from the heavens not being shorten seasons (and he has) 9.5 is even worse. Not everybody buys LTIR contracts to smooth that over.
Fine, Vas at 50% and they can't say no.
They just signed Kuemper for 5 years at $5+M…Jarry wants like $7M on a long term deal…he’s not signing with the Caps lol
Or the Pens...MM wanted too much and we had Jarry, Jarry wants too much we can just trade for options. Can't be any worse...1st round exits galore. Maybe just maybe we can have a new goalie and make it past that 1st round. I doubt it if we keep Sullivan though. Our last ride was 2017.

Reactions: Andy99

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Something tells me that there are plenty of teams out there willing to talk potential trade regarding their goaltenders.

I promise you the league and the GMs in it understand that the position is turn-and-burn at best. Unless you are one of the lucky like... four or five teams that has a guy actually worth it. I mean until he isn't because he's a goaltender and you don't trust them for shit.

Didn't the Avs win the Cup with some half-shlub last year? Why do people obsess over this? It's not the 90s anymore.
I don't think Kuemper is that bad. He's a top 10 G with the Caps like he was with the Avs and solidified WAS's biggest weakness, even if his style can be unorthodox. Certainly worth $5.25MM, at least now. I also don't think Vasi's contribution to the Bolts' back-to-back should be underestimated. He was (and still is) pretty damn amazing and usually money when it came to not losing twice in a row.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think Kuemper is that bad. He's a top 10 G with the Caps like he was with the Avs and solidified WAS's biggest weakness, even if his style can be unorthodox. Certainly worth $5.25MM, at least now. I also don't think Vasi's contribution to the Bolts' back-to-back should be underestimated. He was (and still is) pretty damn amazing and usually money when it came to not losing twice in a row.

I'm definitely being a tad over the top. I just really recoil at the idea of making Jarry the second highest paid player on the team haha... well... until Jake gets his new deal.

I'd probably be OK with 5.5M per for like three years and owing to the playoff question marks and durability issues even that would make me wince a bit. 7M to me is outta control.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I f***ing despise the Capitals so it would be a dream come true to watch them spend 12+ million a year on goaltending and further dig the ditch on the rest of their roster. Because that's what you do when you spend big on that position.
Kraken agree with you. Wasting over $9,000,000 on Gru who has sucked beyond belief for a season and a half now and Driedger, who was meh last year and on IR this year, makes things tight. Sad commentary that I'm happy when Martin Jones is between the pipes.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think Jarry's gonna get $7 million AAV, but if he does, I'd f***ing laugh because that's absurd. I think he'll come in around $6 million.

Shit, I love chaos. Give me Jarry at $7 million AAV for half a decade. Why not? Zucker back at $4.5 million AAV, Dumo back at $2.75 million AAV. Go nuts. Sully's not going anywhere, why does anything else matter? :laugh:

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I just worry the idiotic decision Sullivan will end up choosing.

Sending Smith down, keeping Dumoulin as a regular, etc etc. When really, our pairings should be something like this:

Pettersson, Letang
POJ, Petry
Smith, Rutta/Friedman

With Ruhwedel waived/traded. Maybe swap Petts and POJ, but really that's a solid group, until the Idiot-Factor that is our coaching staff says "Howdy!"

Maybe it's just me, but sure this game is a win for 2pts, but somehow it still feels like we lost.

There was not any dominating effort against a team that is all kinds of f***ed up, yet the entire team and Pens media almost put themselves on the LTIR patting themselves on the back vs the Coyotes....

THE Arizona Coyotes...
Really? I tuned in when the game was already 3-1, but from that point until the Pens made it 5-3, the Pens were completely dominating...except when they decided to not skate after a puck on a PP, but Tokarski saved himself and the team there. Just look at the shots/shot attempts after the 2nd period. The Pens had as many shots as the Canucks had attempts. If that's not dominating the play, what is?

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Really? I tuned in when the game was already 3-1, but from that point until the Pens made it 5-3, the Pens were completely dominating...except when they decided to not skate after a puck on a PP, but Tokarski saved himself and the team there. Just look at the shots/shot attempts after the 2nd period. The Pens had as many shots and the Canucks had attempts. If that's not dominating the play, what is?
I was there in person and yeah, we were dominating much of the game…we found the one team who is worse at winning puck battles and gives more space in their D zone to opposing players than the Pens do lol….

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I was there in person and yeah, we were dominating much of the game…we found the one team who is worse at winning puck battles and gives more space in their D zone to opposing players than the Pens do lol….

What was the building like when it was 3-0 just like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad