Series Talk: PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five) - Episode II: On a peur, très peur!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The top three lines on this team really do have it in them to be the nastiest I've seen here in maybe the entire current era.

Marleau/McCann/Horns as your THIRD line? That's kind of outrageous.
The three areas I'm looking at as concerns, or at least important variables are:1. Goaltending 2. McCann 3. Marino.

I think our goaltending WILL be solid. I have confidence that one of our two guys will make a good account of themselves if not both. They each have a lot to play for besides championships.

McCann is my biggest question mark here. But having experienced guys like Marleau and Horny flanking him, as well as having time to gel with both, should pay dividends. Here's hoping anyhow.

I have all the confidence in Marino. But the playoffs are a different animal. If we see him exhibit the same amount of poise , as well as the ability to think the game and read the play as we know he has in the RS, this will put us on a higher/different trajectory than most teams can match.

Not to get greedy, however I hope we see the best out of Shultz here. He has a lot to play more himself. A 2017 version of Shultz would give us the best 1,2,3 punch on the right side of defense in the league.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think that's all pretty fair. I think McCann should be fine on THAT line but I get what you mean.

I really, really want to say Marino is the real deal. But this is all a different animal and I get that people would be anxious to see how he responds. Though I think he'll be fine. You can sort of get a sense when a guy is just ripping it up on adrenaline/hot streak and when they legit have a great toolbox to work with. Marino was consistently doing things all last season that made him look like a seasoned vet. A GOOD seasoned vet. Those kind of smarts and savvy can't be taught and he has them. He might get overwhelmed but dude seems like he has icewater running through his veins.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think that's all pretty fair. I think McCann should be fine on THAT line but I get what you mean.

I really, really want to say Marino is the real deal. But this is all a different animal and I get that people would be anxious to see how he responds. Though I think he'll be fine. You can sort of get a sense when a guy is just ripping it up on adrenaline/hot streak and when they legit have a great toolbox to work with. Marino was consistently doing things all last season that made him look like a seasoned vet. A GOOD seasoned vet. Those kind of smarts and savvy can't be taught and he has them. He might get overwhelmed but dude seems like he has icewater running through his veins.
I haven't been as excited about a Pen rearguard since Zubov. I loved Larry Murphy, my all time Penguin favorite on defense. Marino is a better skater, and he also thinks the game at a high level. I'm hoping in a few years Marino is in that discussion. So far so good.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I haven't been as excited about a Pen rearguard since Zubov. I loved Larry Murphy, my all time Penguin favorite on defense. Marino is a better skater, and he also thinks the game at a high level. I'm hoping in a few years Marino is in that discussion. So far so good.

Dat Murphy Dump™ doh.

Reactions: Ryder71

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

He’s supplanted Rust as my #2 crush after Geno...that’s hard to do but he’s wonderful [heart emoji] [stars in my eyes love emoji]

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
of course he is. the clock is ticking and they're getting handed a golden opportunity. he knows they are setup better than anyone

Again, Boston, Tampa Bay, Philly, but especially Washington rode being mostly injury free to their records. Pittsburgh, again, did it DESPITE being again by far the most injured of the playoff teams. Columbus was the only team to come close.

Montreal was middle of the pack in injuries.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Yes, but ....

Call it a mistake of optimism or goodwill. Call it wishful thinking. Whichever label you choose to apply to the NHL-NHLPA agreement, which allowed players to live at home, and self-quarantine for Phase 3 training camps looks like the flaw in an otherwise beautiful system.

The Montreal Canadiens nearly had the first outbreak of Phase 3, and the Pittsburgh Penguins were close, too.

And this is just Day 1.

NHL Mistake: Phase 3 Camps Could Undo Stanley Cup Playoffs

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

giphy.gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He’s supplanted Rust as my #2 crush after Geno...that’s hard to do but he’s wonderful [heart emoji] [stars in my eyes love emoji]
I'm as optimistic about our chances as I have been in quite some time. They still have to go out and play, and unquestionably there are some real talented teams we'll have to go through. We'll need to stay healthy and get the bounces. But I don't think I'd trade positions with any other team.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I don't have a PHN account to read the article, not that I take Kingerski seriously. To my understanding the Penguins were being super cautious with their actions yesterday. It sounded like 9 players potentially came in contact with someone who came in contact with COVID.

From what I'm told they were around an employee who went to Florida and did not quarantine when they returned.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd like to think that having a fully healthy roster is great news, but 5 months off with no real hockey is the great equalizer, imo. Nobody has any idea how anything can play out. I will say this though, I think the teams playing in the qualifying round have a significant step up on those who have to wait an extra week to see real game action again.

If this team can stay healthy and hit its timings/get their skating up to par quickly, they could just breeze through. Having the advantage of playing ahead of their 2nd round opponent and using that to get their game up to playoff speed/intensity could be a real dark horse in deciding who gets to claim the Cup.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
I'd like to think that having a fully healthy roster is great news, but 5 months off with no real hockey is the great equalizer, imo. Nobody has any idea how anything can play out. I will say this though, I think the teams playing in the qualifying round have a significant step up on those who have to wait an extra week to see real game action again.

If this team can stay healthy and hit its timings/get their skating up to par quickly, they could just breeze through. Having the advantage of playing ahead of their 2nd round opponent and using that to get their game up to playoff speed/intensity could be a real dark horse in deciding who gets to claim the Cup.
I believe the round robin games are the same week as the qualifying round. Flyers play Bruins August 2.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I believe the round robin games are the same week as the qualifying round. Flyers play Bruins August 2.
Ah, that explains that then. :laugh: I thought it'd be pretty weird to just have the other teams sitting by idly while the teams playing in the qualifying round get a head start on things.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The Pens are used to adversity and they know what it takes to get to the top of the mountain. There probably isn't a more mentally prepared group out there than this one. So much has to go right in hockey to win a Cup, but I love the Pens chances here.

No crowd noise will be odd though.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
The top three lines on this team really do have it in them to be the nastiest I've seen here in maybe the entire current era.

Marleau/McCann/Horns as your THIRD line? That's kind of outrageous.
I’m not feeling this. That’s a pretty meh third line. Meh third line, dumpster fire third pairing, ? Goaltending, everything else pure fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad