Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Leafs | win | March of the Penguins

Who is currently more useless?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think part of it is just trying to make up for two years of lost time too. Dude's had a miserable time for a long time.

Whether he keeps up his play, remains healthy, or sticks around beyond this season--whatever. It's nice to see a guy genuinely having fun out there nowadays. Feels all too rare anymore for this team. :laugh:

Yeah I'm not saying this team should fall all over themselves to bring the guy back. I feel like that would end predictably. But it's nice to see and I agree that he is really pouring it all out less for a big contract and more to prove what he can do. Dude seems like a solid character.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Hello, long time listener, first time caller. What do you do about your power play when you're spending $12.35 million on two blueliners who are absolutely wretched with the man advantage? Thanks, love the show.

Spitballing;
RR over Rust (I feel like this is an easy call)
Letang also needs to be off of it. He can't get a shot through to save his life and he's liable to give up at least a couple of oddman rushes against per game while on the PP. The question is who goes in his place. Pettersson?

Reactions: Andy99

Fordy

May 28, 2008
letang isn't completing any passes at all anymore let alone getting shots through. you can put anyone on the powerplay at this point

Reactions: Genetic

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Spitballing;
RR over Rust (I feel like this is an easy call)
Letang also needs to be off of it. He can't get a shot through to save his life and he's liable to give up at least a couple of oddman rushes against per game while on the PP. The question is who goes in his place. Pettersson?
I know the book on Petry is that he sucks at PP, but I'd try him there for now. Petts is too scared and his limpy shot won't get you anything. all this until Smith is back in the line up

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Rust is a beast? He's got like 5 ES points all year despite playing huge minutes next to either Sid or Geno. He's only got 8 points in 14 games despite getting top PP time and top line minutes. I'm not sure what's so beastly about that.

It's no coincidence the Crosby/Guentzel line looked fine defensively with Rakell there but has looked shit since Rust joined. He doesn't complement what those two need out of their third wheel.

Rust is off to a rough start this year.

His tenure overall has been a crazy success for himself and the team. The urge to hate is strange. Guy has been underpaid the entire time he's been here.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just think a Rust for Rakell swap benefits pretty much all parties involved. Line 1 is better, line 2 is better, Rust can do his floater thing more easily with Zucker's body of work away from the puck. It's one of those things that just makes too much sense not to do.

So Sully won't do it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Because Rust is always out of position. He goes way too low in the OZ, letting his defender usually double team Crosby, and then makes the only available pass for 87 to the point. If it doesn't make it to the point, the other team is quickly going the other way while the Penguins have 3 players behind the net.

Yeah he's aggravating to watch. He always wants to be the 2nd guy into the corner, the 2nd guy to the net, etc. He scored a goal that way pickle stabbing after Zucker caused a scrum a couple weeks ago. But he needs to pick his spots a lot better. He just always does it without regard to whether he's the F3 or not.

I guess this is a combination of wanting to live up to the contract by scoring more (or trying to get a contract the last two years) and not wanting to take the physicality of being the first guy in. I don't know what's up with it, but it's losing hockey.

I think it's just less apparent when he plays with Geno because they get easier matchups, and they seem to usually have Petts and Petry behind them, and say what you want about Petts, he's our most positionally sound defender this year. Playing in front of Dumo and Letang all the time, like Sid's line does, magnifies the problem because Dumo isn't covering for Letang's adventurism as much anymore, and like last night, keeps making these mental errors and stupid 50/50 pinches.

If they want to run GCRust so badly, then stop putting Letang/Dumo behind them.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Sid hasn't scored a power play goal in the last 27 regular season games, yet we keep using the same PP1 and the same tactics. Maybe the 28th time will be the charm, right, Sully?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I can't remember if you were one of the "Get Fiscal" dudes or not, but hey, good health to you.
I don't remember if you were one of the people looking for a core player to hate that wasn't Sid or Geno and look at Rust as an easy target because Sully loves him but..

Well, Christmas came early.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Rust on PP1 instead of Rakell just shows us how ingrained vet favoritism culture is on the team. Sullivan has his people and Rust is one of them. I'm not on a hate train, I just think he is lazy and satisfied and doesn't want to do what it takes to win game in, game out. The superstars work harder than he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad