Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Leafs | win | March of the Penguins

Who is currently more useless?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Felt this way last year too, but I would like our chances vs Toronto in a series. Would probably prefer that matchup over anyone else. I like our energy levels against them and we outwork them on the walls a lot.
This is especially the case now with their goaltending. Not to mention their mental fragility in elimination games.
They're the one team that's even softer than the penguins

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Backups have stolen the net 3 times for an extended period in the Sullivan era.
I'm not saying it should or will happen, but I wouldn't rule it out if Jarry sucks.

I think what happened here is different though. It's a B2B and they just changed the order. Based on some tells from practices, there's a suspicion that Jarry's nursing an injury. So they're managing his workload, as they should. Doing it this way gave him a full 6 off-days.
That makes sense.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I enjoyed the win very much, L2 was immense, if this McGinn shows up more often he would be totally worth his contract and we actually played a good third period for a change. They had to try to give me a heart attack with those missed empty nets in the end but that's par for the course. Put Rust with Geno where he usually bothers to play defense, play for not too many injuries and who knows, we might have a shot at making the playoffs.
Did I hear right that Sid has 0 power play goals in the last 26 (now 27) regular season games? I knew PP1 was bad but this is beyond terrible.
And Geno's PPG against the Leafs is fifth best in the entire NHL history against one team? Pretty nice.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Rusty is so unusual. The points are there but in the playoffs he's disappeared. He was so clutch. Defensively he was awesome for G's line in the past or for the Cullen/Kuhn/Rusty line.

But put him on L1 and it's like defense becomes a lost art. Transition defense for that line is the worst. Nobody picks up a guy.
Rust perfected the fine art of trying until you get a reputation as hard working, and then you just don't do anything and get rewarded for it, aka "pulling a Sullivan." I commend him on nailing this hard-to-master scam.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I mean, Malgin pushed Dumoulin off the puck that lead to the first goal. It's embarassing how many puck battles he's losing now, and to smaller guys, too. It's not like it's only the 6'3, 220 lbs. brutes who are abusing him.

He's awful with the puck now. He's never been great, but literally even simple rims around the boards turn into turnovers because the puck goes like 10 mph and gets intercepted before it even gets to his intended receiver.

It's actually fascinating in a "can't look away from a car accident" type of way how badly every part of his game has deteriorated to not even NHL caliber.
If Sullivan was honest, he’d keep Ruh on his offside and insert POJ when healthy and Dumo would be sitting in the press box with Kap lol

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
If Malkin does better with reduced 5 on 5 minutes then that’s what Sully should do. If Dumo does better with reduced minutes then reduce them.

It’s called putting players in a position to succeed. Stop pretending these guys can play the same way they did when they were 27.

I would like to see Kap on the 4th line. His speed could work well for him there and his production wouldn’t be bad for a 4th liner.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If Malkin does better with reduced 5 on 5 minutes then that’s what Sully should do. If Dumo does better with reduced minutes then reduce them.

It’s called putting players in a position to succeed. Stop pretending these guys can play the same way they did when they were 27.

I would like to see Kap on the 4th line. His speed could work well for him there and his production wouldn’t be bad for a 4th liner.
Should be flexible game to game depending on how the players are doing…L2 had it last night, L1 didn’t…we’re old…there’s equal reason that Sid, and Rust in particular, would do well with less minutes too, Carter as well…we can’t give all of our top nine centers less minutes though in every game lol…

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Isn't that the whole plan with the aging stars? Have a supporting cast do a well enough job they don't have to lean on the stars night in night out?

That is all well and good come regular season... but come post season (if)... you know sulli will reduce those minutes and put them on the stars. (for better or worse).

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Rust perfected the fine art of trying until you get a reputation as hard working, and then you just don't do anything and get rewarded for it, aka "pulling a Sullivan." I commend him on nailing this hard-to-master scam.
He's the king of looking intently at the play, like he's engaged, but then you see that he's actually just bent over, knees aren't bent, not ready to accelerate, just watching other people work. He does this a lot

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Thinking Rakell would help L1 more than Rust is one thing, saying Rakell does nothing for L2 is just a bizarre take.

Just last night he had the initial screen on the point shot and then tied up the man in front so Geno had his easiest tap-in in years.

Would love to hear the suspected reasonings of him being useless on L2.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Which is why he should be with Geno and Zucker, because Zucker on the 2nd is doing what Rusty should be doing (role-wise) on the first.

That and Rakell is a better fit both in terms of skillset, physique and defensive play. As someone I often see in the mirror said would be the case when he was traded for.

Of course it would be hilarious timing to ditch the GCR line I’ve objected to for years when L2 is looking great. But no more hilarious than demoting Rakell

There is zero justification.
One line dominated posession and chances all game, and it had zero time with the empty net. Instead it was forcefed to L1 which suggered - and even L4. No faith/reward at all. Just the old “I dont trust you”.

But yes, big boy and experienced. 71 wont be surprised, but it gotta annoy him just the same.
Just happy they didn’t caugh up another goal to lose it late again.
Legit not trying to feed into a woe is Malkin narrative. It's just the same shit every year though. Crosby will go weeks where he's lax defensively, his line gets dominated in high danger chances, and they still get all of the EN time. All of the time at the end of close games. Both of those situations are ones Geno plays very tight defensively and he can hit the net from anywhere on the ice. But he never gets a second of icetime. It's bullshit.

Then you play Carter instead of Geno, as well. The guy who got dominated defensively all playoffs.

It's stupid to think guys like Geno and Zuck don't notice when they bust their asses all game (all season) but get stapled to the bench in the key times.

Thinking Rakell would help L1 more than Rust is one thing, saying Rakell does nothing for L2 is just a bizarre take.

Just last night he had the initial screen on the point shot and then tied up the man in front so Geno had his easiest tap-in in years.

Would love to hear the suspected reasonings of him being useless on L2.
It's not that he's useless, he just doesn't have any chemistry with either of those players. Go watch all of their shifts closely, he isn't a driver on that line at all. He's a third wheel trying to add value where he can. On L1, he becomes an essential ingredient. It's night and day

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He's the king of looking intently at the play, like he's engaged, but then you see that he's actually just bent over, knees aren't bent, not ready to accelerate, just watching other people work. He does this a lot
IT IS SO f***ING MADDENING. :laugh:

Yeah, Rust has been clearly coasting on his reputation as a clutch-100%-every-shift-guy for like 4 seasons now. I get why we re-signed given the UFA market and our budget, but man, he is potentially the most overrated player on this board.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
IT IS SO f***ING MADDENING. :laugh:

Yeah, Rust has been clearly coasting on his reputation as a clutch-100%-every-shift-guy for like 4 seasons now. I get why we re-signed given the UFA market and our budget, but man, he is potentially the most overrated player on this board.
Since the second Cup win, yeah. He'll really work in spurts sometimes but most games he coasts, especially with L1. On L2 he's forced to skate more to keep up with Zucker's forechecking and he also goes to the net more because Malkin and Zucker both do. It's a different dynamic. But I think more than anything he got satisfied after the second Cup win and doesn't have that fire anymore. He's too young and not talented enough to coast as much as he does.

When I think of guys on the team who have a burning desire to win a Cup, he's not on the short list.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't think it's Crosby, I think Sullivan has a massive hard on for Rust and is his favourite player on the team. Evidenced by his usage.

Crosby looking disinterested and doing his best "trying to get the coach fired" impression started first when Rust was put back on L1. I think.

At this point I say don't mess with L2, but Rust still needs demoted.
I know we don't want to think it's Sid driving, but I firmly believe it's Sid driving that bus.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
When I think of guys on the team who have a burning desire to win a Cup, he's not on the short list.
On the other hand, I think he's a definite candidate if we want to make an actual hockey trade. He's got value, for sure, but teachers' pets have a way of sticking around past their prime.

He’s just like me for real
I commend you for livin' the dream, Sturgill Simpson.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's easy to criticize any player that we are paying good money to that isn't putting up the points currently. Rust, I would say is known for 3 things:

1. He will go on a concerning cold streak despite playing with Sid or Malkin.
2. His play took a nose dive after we signed him to the $3.5mil contract in 18-19 but, as mentioned, he did put up points.
3. After his cold streak is over, he comes roaring back and can easily produce a PPG game pace.

So while the cold streak is maddening since all of GCR looks like ass, I'm not going to jump on the hate train at the moment because I think he'll make a comeback.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
It's not that he's useless, he just doesn't have any chemistry with either of those players. Go watch all of their shifts closely, he isn't a driver on that line at all. He's a third wheel trying to add value where he can. On L1, he becomes an essential ingredient. It's night and day
Sounds like we’re in agreement. The chemistry between Sid/Rakell is undeniable and GCRak should 100% be a thing.

It just sounded like people were shitting on Rak’s performance on L2 for the purpose of saying he should be on L1, which was just odd to me. Guess I just misconstrued the point.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think reducing Rust's minutes so he doesn't coast out there is the smart move, obviously him on Malkin's line would be ideal since they are getting reduced minutes already.

Would also Like Rust on the PK a little.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I didn't get to watch the game. I checked the box score and just assumed Malkin got injured.

Certainly an... interesting... ice time distribution.

The whole GCR = every EN oppo has always kinda bugged me. But I guess not as much as going to friggin' Carter when L2 was hot all night. If ya'll think these guys don't care or notice you're wrong.

Also I've not exactly had any of my concerns assuaged over signing Rust long term so far this year.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I didn't get to watch the game. I checked the box score and just assumed Malkin got injured.

Certainly an... interesting... ice time distribution.

The whole GCR = every EN oppo has always kinda bugged me. But I guess not as much as going to friggin' Carter when L2 was hot all night. If ya'll think these guys don't care or notice you're wrong.

Also I've not exactly had any of my concerns assuaged over signing Rust long term so far this year.
It is, unsurprisingly, pretty funny that certain "Malkin dogs it out there" posters are totally silent on Rust's 4 year spring break. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad