Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Jerks | Loss | Letang is a moron

Who is more likely to take an idiotic penalty and cost us a game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah I don't understand the anti Sullivan sentiment.

2019 was bad, you can't take anything from 2020, 2021 the Pens were crushing the Isles but just had bad goaltending.
Losing to the 24th best team in the Habs meant nothing? The best team won the cup in 2020 - you can’t give Sully a free pass for that amateur botched job.

Did Sully pull Jarry against the Isles? I forget. Did he switch up the lines before 10 minutes left in game 6?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Losing to the 24th best team in the Habs meant nothing? The best team won the cup in 2020 - you can’t give Sully a free pass for that amateur botched job.

Did Sully pull Jarry against the Isles? I forget. Did he switch up the lines before 10 minutes left in game 6?

Perhaps you're forgetting the reports that the players treated it like summer camp? I don't take anything from 2020

DeSmith was injured

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would love to see more developmental players in the lineup or a new Bryan Rust or even Kuhnhakl but I don't see anyone begging to be called up. DOC had a great chance to keep a spot. I would love to see Zohorna more often. Puustinen can wait a year.

The first mistake you made is already shoehorning these players into those names. They're not the next Rust or Kuhnhackl or Blueger. They're the next themselves. The fact that Sullivan tries to use them as previous iterations of his faves is a massive issue. We don't need a next ZAR or Simon.

We need these kids to get a shot to see what they have to offer without limiting their usage to one of those types. There's obviously good options to use in those situations like Zohorna, Bellerive, etc. Even Gruden to be honest would be a good option for a bottom 6 role.

But Puustinen isn't someone you start on the 4th. If you do, as a coach, you're (not you) a f***ing idiot at assessing your own talent on your team.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Saying someone needs to be the next name on the roster is placing an unrealistic and unfair expectation on a player and setting them up to fail before they even get a chance.

Say what you lot want. The usage of young players has consistently dwindled and I don't accept the falsehoods of a bad pipeline. Just shows how many of you didn't watch more than 1 wbs game.

When the Pens traded Murray and made Jarry their starter, they brought DeSmith back up after a full year in wbs while being meh there. Imagine having that pull with a coach to get that opportunity. Angello has been good in his call ups as a Penguin, Zo has as well. Others barely get a shot for 1 game when we could use these kids.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Saying someone needs to be the next name on the roster is placing an unrealistic and unfair expectation on a player and setting them up to fail before they even get a chance.

Say what you lot want. The usage of young players has consistently dwindled and I don't accept the falsehoods of a bad pipeline. Just shows how many of you didn't watch more than 1 wbs game.

When the Pens traded Murray and made Jarry their starter, they brought DeSmith back up after a full year in wbs while being meh there. Imagine having that pull with a coach to get that opportunity. Angello has been good in his call ups as a Penguin, Zo has as well. Others barely get a shot for 1 game when we could use these kids.
Yea, Simon was never meant to block the young guys, or at least this what I was told when I said it was a horrendous decision to sign him. I’m suspended such a “builder” has no interested in giving younger guys a legitimate shot.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yea, Simon was never meant to block the young guys, or at least this what I was told when I said it was a horrendous decision to sign him. I’m suspended such a “builder” has no interested in giving younger guys a legitimate shot.
I honestly think the best model for replacing coaches is to hire an nhl worthy head coach for your top minor team, have him replace your coach when he gets stale, and you have four or five years of them playing younger guys they trust and like ….

Reactions: The Old Master

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Who's Bylsma? Bylsma inherited a Cup Finalist. Sullivan inherited a mess and immediately won two Cups.

Things are falling apart? News to me.
The myth that Sullivan inherited a mess has always been comical. JR traded Scuderi for Daley, took a risk on Schultz, and Perron for Hagelin that first cup run. He then brought up some youth from WBS in some limited roles, others to inject some speed and youth in the line-up and others played a bigger role - Guentzel, Rust, Kuhnhackl, Murray (went god mode in WBS and earned a call up in December of 2015). Imagine calling a team a mess that still had Sid, Geno, Kessel, Horny, Kunitz (still a 40pt player then)...vs using Talbot in the top 6 in the playoffs or Fedotenko as a top 6 winger.

The team was 15-10-1 when MJ was fired, he was painful to watch coach this team, but this wasn't a team that was 27-25-0-2 and spiraling out of contention

I mean, you want to talk about a mess? Go look at the team that was iced from 2005-2009. Jordan Staal was what, virtually in tears with Therrien as a coach and was thankful for Bylsma? We hate Bylsma now, but like Sullivan, he brought some good with him when he first got there, what Bylsma did with some awful rosters can't be taken for granted just because you can now bitch and whine about it to make Sully look better when Sully has literally trended the same way, with a better roster, especially in the playoffs the last 4yrs.

And let me be super clear - I don't like Bylsma, MJ, or Sully. I think all three are shit. DB and MS are both veteran friendly coaches and show as much. The notion they both liked youth died within the first 3yrs of their careers.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I honestly think the best model for replacing coaches is to hire an nhl worthy head coach for your top minor team, have him replace your coach when he gets stale, and you have four or five years of them playing younger guys they trust and like ….

Yes and no, I would have made Warsofsky the Assistant coach for the Penguins and then hired a top Juniors coach that was being innovative and winning with that, as the WBS coach. Warsofsky would then be in the succession plan to take over from Sullivan as the HC, something I don't really see from Vellucci (seems more like a upper management type) or Reirden (might be better as a special teams coach).

I liked Dean Evason as a coach, mentioned him a ton for what he did for Forsberg in Nashville when he was with their affiliate, he's been doing good things in Minnesota since being promoted as well. Sullivan had me all hyped when I saw his coaching sessions with the Hawks and how he approached himself, but when these ex NHL coaches get a chance to get back in the game, they will do what they can to stay there, so he trusts veterans now and not how he earned his current contract, it happens, doesn't mean he's been a failure as a coach, but he's lost the ability to push this team to the next level like it needs with the core having 1/4 tank left.

Honestly, maybe that's what they need to do, maybe make Sullivan one of the Assistant GM's and bring in a new coach at the end of this season when we're out in the first round again.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Simon isn’t blocking anyone.

The majority of our young talent needs AHL time outside of Zohorna who sucked to start the season (not his fault) and DOC who got 20+ games then got hurt and L4 has been playing well.

If we sign a player like Simon over playing Z on a one way next year then you may have a point.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Simon isn’t blocking anyone.

The majority of our young talent needs AHL time outside of Zohorna who sucked to start the season (not his fault) and DOC who got 20+ games then got hurt and L4 has been playing well.

If we sign a player like Simon over playing Z on a one way next year then you may have a point.
You had guys like Jank blocking your guys until he got hurt. It’s been a pattern since sleepy was hired.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Simon is frustrating but fine for his price and role. Adds some skill to the 4th, can play any forward position and can move up in a pinch. He’s a quintessentially Penguin 13th forward.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Who was Jankowski blocking?

When did Hextall sign Jankowski?
Jankowski blocked himself by sucking hard at hockey.

I think the only gripe to be had with Jankowski was that after the first 2 weeks, he was probably one of the worst players on the team for about 30 games or so. The fact that he played 45 games is probably the most ridiculous f***ing thing about it. It was clear watching Jankowski how awful he was, but Sully loved him and kept playing him until he couldn't justify it anymore when Gaudreau was out playing his ass.

Also, whichever blocked muppet is claiming Jank was a hex signing, lol, that's a JR/Sully move.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Simon is frustrating but fine for his price and role. Adds some skill to the 4th, can play any forward position and can move up in a pinch. He’s a quintessentially Penguin 13th forward.

I get why he was brought back, he's good at possession metrics, he falls a f*** ton and has literally the worst quality shot in the NHL, but he skates fast, is a bit of a pest when he tries to be and he is good at getting the puck back as a puck hound. He's like a value village Hagelin.

You know, regarding ZAR, he used to play C didn't he?

If he still did and was a 4C so Blueger was 3C, I could palate that, it would mean other wingers would be up and get a shot to add offence to his line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pancakes

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I get why he was brought back, he's good at possession metrics, he falls a f*** ton and has literally the worst quality shot in the NHL, but he skates fast, is a bit of a pest when he tries to be and he is good at getting the puck back as a puck hound. He's like a value village Hagelin.

If he still did and was a 4C so Blueger was 3C, I could palate that, it would mean other wingers would be up and get a shot to add offence to his line.
I think he’s especially valuable when he’s with Boyle who really cannot skate the puck up ice at all anymore. Not really ZAR’s forte either. Simon is definitely good at getting the puck and quickly getting on his horse through the neutral zone for either a dump in or skating it in.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Who was Jankowski blocking?

When did Hextall sign Jankowski?
The narrative last season was sleepy needs time to evaluate players! Jank sucked after like game 3. It took massive amounts of injuries before Z, Angello or Gaudreau got to play.

Then I was told that no one in AHL was worth a damn. Sound familiar? No one is worth a damn unless they are given a shot. And playing with two of ZAR, Simon or Boyle isn’t giving someone much of shot.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Yeah I agree with your Simon assessment. He's not gonna provide much offensively on the 4th line but he's a good energy guy, is generally responsible, and posses the puck well. What more do you want from a 4th liner? Yeah I'd love a guy that actually scores and does all those things too, but you ain't gettin that for what you pay Simon.

Simon is just such a weird player for people to get hung up on. I get complaining about like Zucker because he isn't providing the value you want from his cap hit but Simon is providing exactly what we're paying for, and that's fine.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think he’s especially valuable when he’s with Boyle who really cannot skate the puck up ice at all anymore. Not really ZAR’s forte either. Simon is definitely good at getting the puck and quickly getting on his horse through the neutral zone for either a dump in or skating it in.

Yeah Boyle's speed has seemed adequate versus most teams this year but he looked noticeably a step behind against Carolina. He still did alright I guess but not a guy I'd prefer to dress in a series versus them.

Reactions: Jacob

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah I agree with your Simon assessment. He's not gonna provide much offensively on the 4th line but he's a good energy guy, is generally responsible, and posses the puck well. What more do you want from a 4th liner? Yeah I'd love a guy that actually scores and does all those things too, but you ain't gettin that for what you pay Simon.

Simon is just such a weird player for people to get hung up on. I get complaining about like Zucker because he isn't providing the value you want from his cap hit but Simon is providing exactly what we're paying for, and that's fine.
Simon all by himself is fine as a 14th forward, but when he plays every god damn night and alongside Boyle and ZAR, it’s a lot to overcome. Again, one of them would be okay in the lineup but not all three.

I knew these idiots would play way too much this season.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Simon all by himself is fine as a 14th forward, but when he plays every god damn night and alongside Boyle and ZAR, it’s a lot to overcome. Again, one of them would be okay in the lineup but not all three.

Blueger being out kinda limits the Pens flexibility in that regard

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The narrative last season was sleepy needs time to evaluate players! Jank sucked after like game 3. It took massive amounts of injuries before Z, Angello or Gaudreau got to play.

Then I was told that no one in AHL was worth a damn. Sound familiar? No one is worth a damn unless they are given a shot. And playing with two of ZAR, Simon or Boyle isn’t giving someone much of shot.

We had a significant amount of forwards missing time last year which led to a player in Jankowski getting an extended look. Hextall made a deal to acquire a player to knock him out and Sullivan immediately scratched him for Gaudreau once he showed himself to be a better talent.

Reactions: Pancakes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad