Series Talk: Pens vs. Habs --- THIS IS IT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Re The PP -

Following up on my suspicion based on what the stats say, I just watched about 10 of Guentzel's PP points from the last couple seasons. They pretty much all came while playing where Sid/Hornqvist would, with a couple coming from where Geno would. I'm not saying this is the be all and end all of our problems, but having a set-up where all four guys play best in roughly the three same spots does sound like it might be part of the problems.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Re The PP -

Following up on my suspicion based on what the stats say, I just watched about 10 of Guentzel's PP points from the last couple seasons. They pretty much all came while playing where Sid/Hornqvist would, with a couple coming from where Geno would. I'm not saying this is the be all and end all of our problems, but having a set-up where all four guys play best in roughly the three same spots does sound like it might be part of the problems.

Then you have to make hard decisions and split things such that you've got more guys playing to their strengths.

HOWEVER, that doesn't change the issue that even with guys playing to their strengths more, they still are forced to make things happen 1 on 1 (and often 1 on 2) because of the lack of movement and support on the PP.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Then you have to make hard decisions and split things such that you've got more guys playing to their strengths.

HOWEVER, that doesn't change the issue that even with guys playing to their strengths more, they still are forced to make things happen 1 on 1 (and often 1 on 2) because of the lack of movement and support on the PP.

It doesn't, but then I'm not sure anything fixes that other than a spell written on an angel's feather under the full moon.

Reactions: KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Anyone else watching these games and thinking the young teams look fine and the older teams just look like us and Philly yesterday?

No, the Caps look pretty good against Carolina and leading 3-1 and the Lightning looked fantastic...all the top teams I’ve seen so far look better than the lucky to be here guys ...and the Pens

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Caps seem a little Jekyll and Hyde to me so far. Some moments they look very crisp, but some moments there's some real weird loose pucks.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Watching other games.... I would say the Pens look fast. But their passes are waaay worse than what I'm seeing from a few others. They were sloppier with passing. Better with skating.

unfortunately, the Habs also looked fast...so Pens better find a way to do something else well...

Reactions: ColePens

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think PHI plays the best trap game in the NHL right now with good D to transition the turned over pucks.
Theres a reason they were the hottest team when things shut down.
I do think PIT is fast and PHI just stiffled it most of the game til the 3rd, PIT started to put the work boots on and you witnessed better overall play.

Think the best PP1 setup is to simply throw Marino with Letang or Schultz over the boards first.
Let Letang or Schultz play the left point threat, John at the top, Sid/G with Horny in front.
Keep it real simple.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Because we are trying to win NOW! A kid 2 or 3 years away does not help us reach that goal.

Unless you get Lafrenière (who is NHL ready), just let the pick go to Minnesota and have your first next year to trade for another run.

I prefer completely bottoming out when Sid and Geno are out than getting lost in mediocrity.
If we're trying to win now, the sooner we get a pick who can actually be part of the team the better. Beyond that, unless you think we're gonna take a decided step backwards in 20/21, we're looking at picking in the 20's or low 30's. And again this is suppose to be an outstanding draft class. No matter which way you slice it it's better to get the pick now. But that's assuming we'll lose to the Habs. And I doubt very very seriously that occurs.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Canes/Caps are playing like it's game one of the real playoffs. These 2 teams are REALLY playing intense hockey. My goodness. If i'm a fan of either team, i'd be pretty excited.

Reactions: Andy99

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Think PHI plays the best trap game in the NHL right now with good D to transition the turned over pucks.
I do think PIT is fast and PHI just stiffled it most of the game til the 3rd, PIT started to put the work boots on and you witnessed better overall play.

Think the best PP1 setup is to simply throw Marino with Letang or Schultz over the boards first.
Let Letang or Schultz play the left point threat, John at the top, Sid/G with Horny in front.
Keep it real simple.
I think yesterday was the last audition for Schultz on the PP. It was a meaningless game situation for him to show that he still belongs on 1 of the 2 units. He didn't give a good showing.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I’ve decided to tell myself their first game of the season was ass and they went on to play some great hockey until they faded.
Yep. Game against Buffalo was horrible. Then they went crazy. Some injuries crept up and then everything fell apart.

Guess what... everyone is back that we need. So that should be good, eh? I'm f***ing with you. Bro high five. LET'S GO.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Marino doesn't solve the power play until whatever magical thing it is clicks inside the unit's head where they reach the crisp unlaboured version of themselves. At which point you don't need to add to a rookie's workload. He's probably not the magical clicking thing. Unless you want to play 2 D on the first unit with Marino roving the left half-board which... actually...

I’ve decided to tell myself their first game of the season was ass and they went on to play some great hockey until they faded.

It also came off a pretty good pre-season. Not much point trusting pre-season (as we all know).

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Marino doesn't solve the power play until whatever magical thing it is clicks inside the unit's head where they reach the crisp unlaboured version of themselves. At which point you don't need to add to a rookie's workload. He's probably not the magical clicking thing. Unless you want to play 2 D on the first unit with Marino roving the left half-board which... actually...

It also came off a pretty good pre-season. Not much point trusting pre-season (as we all know).

The PP can use all of his smarts, passing, skating ability. Plus he gets shots thru.
Nothing not to like.
Like i said, i'd be throwing 2D out there to start.
Marino with Letang or JS. Marino plays the top of the diamond.
We'll see him on the PP by the looks of things anyway so it's up to Letang/Schultz to out shine him.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Keep it real simple.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d rather face the Caps if we get to the first round, and probably the Lightning, over playing the Flyers...they play a very strong game under AV...

Reactions: WayneSid9987
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad