Series Talk: Pens vs Habs Round 1 Best of Five - Episode 5: Camme toé

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah.

I'd say Murray's earned - or maybe not lost - that start. I know he can do better on that 1 on 1, but that's a chance where the blame always goes to the skaters rather than the goalie, and that freak deflection's just going in. He got the other ones and he hasn't lost the faith.

I'd probably start Jarry, I like his game here, but not going to do more than shrug.

Again, yeah :D

Dunno about you, but liked the game a little more. More willingness to just throw the puck somewhere dirty and go to war. Defensive structure was mostly solid - any day a good team can only score on you thanks to suicide and flukes isn't awful - and, well, yeah, step it up another notch or two and see where it goes.

I would take a small bet on hearing "Take what we're given" out of Sully's mouth some time in the next couple weeks tho.

Yeah. Agree about goaltending. But, end of the day, it's Murray's net with a very short leash.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also got to take a moment to join the Marino love in. I don't think I've seen a hockey player who seems to so effortlessly know the right thing to do and just never get beat on a matter of skating.

Sometimes I get scared to talk about him because it feels too good to be true and I wonder if someday we'll wake up to find he was but fairy gold and has turned into mundane dross.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pretty dumb from Schultz, but Malkin was drifting into the corner, on a 3-1, in OT, pretty much taking himself out of the play.

Geno is peeling off to give Schultz more room to do something and/or have more of a shooting lane as he's holding the puck. No look pass to Geno, and he'll put it home. No look pass to Rust, and he'll probably put it home. But, Schultz just ******* froze and waited and waited and waited, and he basically killed all the 3 on 1 options aside from the telegraphed pass to Rust by doing that.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Also got to take a moment to join the Marino love in. I don't think I've seen a hockey player who seems to so effortlessly know the right thing to do and just never get beat on a matter of skating.

Sometimes I get scared to talk about him because it feels too good to be true and I wonder if someday we'll wake up to find he was but fairy gold and has turned into mundane dross.

He reminds me a lot of my boy, Larry Murphy, but with better skating.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Is there a Dman from the past he reminds you of? I want to say maybe Phil Housley Idk if you'd agree with that...or if you are old enough to remember Housley

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Philly definitely played with more structure. In a series I feel strongly we can eventually break them down. Neither team was crisp, but with our advantage in high end skill it probably affected us more. They're a good team though, it would be a tough series.

Reactions: Hungamania

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is there a Dman from the past he reminds you of? I want to say maybe Phil Housley Idk if you'd agree with that...or if you are old enough to remember Housley

I only became a hockey fan back in 2014 when I started dating a hockey fan, and only became a hardcore one about 1st January 2016 when I first spent an extended period of time in the States - the dmen of old are way before my time.

My only comp is it's like someone gave Matt Cullen miracle rejuvenation juice and made him a dman. I'm not saying it's a good comp mind...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I don't think Housley is a great comparison, because Marino isn't there offensively and I'm not sure Phil Housley was ever as good defensively as Marino is right now.

I've seen a few Larry Murphy comparisons. A few Paul Martin with grit comparisons.

Whatever one you choose, the kid has ******* ice running through his veins. You can't teach that, but you Martin and Gonchar can and, because Marino is a willing student, will teach him the things it will take to be an impact #1 defenseman in this league for a decade.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I only became a hockey fan back in 2014 when I started dating a hockey fan, and only became a hardcore one about 1st January 2016 when I first spent an extended period of time in the States - the dmen of old are way before my time.

My only comp is it's like someone gave Matt Cullen miracle rejuvenation juice and made him a dman. I'm not saying it's a good comp mind...
Don't worry the rest of us only knew hockey exists since 2006.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad