Series Talk: Pens vs Habs Round 1 Best of Five - Episode 5: Camme toé

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
1 is no longer safe. Rutherford sent a text to The Athletic two weeks ago (reported on by both Russo and Rossi) saying the lottery would determine whether we kept the first round pick if we went out of the play-ins. I don't know how exactly t
his scenario is playing out in Rutherford's head, but it doesn't sound like the 1st rounder is definitely sticking. Which is weird to me but there we go.

If we win the lottery we ain't trading it

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It's astonishing that a team with a well respected analytics guy in a senior front office role is playing JJ. Like, what does Sam Ventura do everytime they ice JJ? Cry? Look at other jobs? What does Rutherford and Sully do when they point the facts out to him?

If he's anything like me, initially it was rage but now I actively try to ignore him. I do wonder if there were ever any serious bts fights over something this egregious, though. JR and Sullivan probably pull the old "what he does doesn't show up on stats sheets!! You don't appreciate what he does but anyone who knows does!!"

Trotman opted out due to COVID-19, he wasn't even at the camp.

I think he was having concussion problems before. Or some kind of head injury. Maybe.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
[QUOTE="Speaking Moistly, post: 172644011, member: 188

I think he was having concussion problems before. Or some kind of head injury. Maybe.[/QUOTE]

I got the impression that he might have tweaked his groin/hernia like Sid but since he’s only a backup and not even first backup, they thought there was no reason for him to go...but who knows

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Speaking Moistly, post: 172644011, member: 188

I think he was having concussion problems before. Or some kind of head injury. Maybe.

I got the impression that he might have tweaked his groin/hernia like Sid but since he’s only a backup and not even first backup, they thought there was no reason for him to go...but who knows

So more sports hernia complications several months post op?
Great news.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
"In front of both goalies is a mostly even collection of talent [on the blueline], which perhaps partially explains why both team’s defensive numbers were so similar. Pittsburgh has a slight edge when it comes to the top four, but that’s mitigated by the team’s bottom pair which is anchored by the team’s largest problem, Jack Johnson, whose presence is costing the Penguins one entire win of value. Yikes.

That may seem like a harsh valuation for a player earning just shy of 20 minutes, but the simple act of receiving minutes does not in any way say anything about the actual quality of play provided in those minutes. In Johnson’s case, it’s a reverse Midas situation where everything he touches sours immediately.

Remember those sketchy Crosby numbers I mentioned above? In 203 minutes together, Crosby has a 39 percent expected goals rate when Johnson is on the ice and is outscored by a two-to-one margin. When he’s off, his numbers jump back up to his normal 57 percent range. It’s a similar story with Kris Letang. WOWY’s are generally flawed because they ignore the other eight skaters on the ice, but in these extreme cases, the message seems to be pretty clear toward the type of negative effect Johnson can have. He unsurprisingly had the team’s worst 5-on-5 numbers and simply taking him out of the lineup would provide a massive boost to the team, adding three percentage points of series win probability. For those counting at home, that’s over six percentage points the Penguins are leaving on the table by keeping Johnson and Murray in the starting lineup in favour of better options. Those hoping Johnson’s numbers will improve further down the lineup should note that in 168 minutes together with Justin Schultz, the pair were outscored 8-3 and earned a 41 percent expected goals rate."

2020 NHL qualifying round preview: Penguins vs. Canadiens

Say it louder for those in the back:

Replace JJ with Riikola and the Pens become a better team.
Any time someone using fancy stats says his fancy stats are flawed, they become useless. Like, Jack Johnson was the leading scorer among defenceman at training camp during the scrimmages, if you don't take into account the other 9 defenseman that were there.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Contributing to the opposing team scoring is still technically scoring

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
(mis)read thread title ... entered with great expectations.

raised_hopes_futurama.gif

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Madden says Sid is dealing with soreness from his core surgery...this really puts a negative spin on things...

California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) | TribLIVE.com
Meh. Maybe.

It IS Madden we’re talking about here. He says it’s an assumption because they won’t tell anybody ... except he’s been “told” :huh:

I prefer to believe that it really just means Sid is busy with Tank and Dozer getting his uploads. After all, “Drunk Sick-dangles Boxing” isn’t just going to teach itself to our Captain.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well quite.

Three semi-logical possible explanations I have

1) He values the positive reputations from being nice and sending it over having the player now
2) He thinks the untouched '21 1st will be better trade bait than the 20/the player he picks with it
3) He thinks the difference between the player he'd get now and the player he gets in 21 isn't that big, and therefore not worth possibly losing out on a lottery slot next year

Most of which seem a bit odd to me. Although I'm not sure 15 this year is going to get a wildly better player than whatever next year, but who cares, it's one year closer on the development clock for a team for whom that matters.
That pick won't likely come into play because we should steamroll the Habs. But if by chance we lose we most certainly should hold onto that pick. Enough with the freaking charity JR. The Wild can wait til '21.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Funny thing is, because of the lottery not only Montreal fans, but Philly, Washington, Columbus, Boston, Islander and Detroit, and likely many other teams', fans are all rooting harder for the Pens to win this series than even Pens' fans.

Bask in the one time only, I wouldn't say universally loved, but more feared, being the darlings of the entire hockey universe.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Haha... I mean... I wouldn't go breakin' our collective arms backslappin' each other quite yet. But yes that's very encouraging news and you have to give the league and especially the players credit for evidently taking this very seriously.

The lure of strip clubs with really great food will always be there, biding its time for a moment of weakness.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
I say again.

This virus is the great humbler. Just when you get smug is when it smacks you down.

Exactly. That's why the rich and powerful really hate the idea of pandemics. It threatens to disrupt the status quo. And as fans of a team with a well-stocked roster, we have a lot to lose, expectations-wise, if it gets inside the bubble.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad