Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Caps | Shootout loss | Just like the good 'ole days, terrible goaltending included!

Who would you rather in net?

• CDS

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Kuemper

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Hex

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I tell ya, when I get mad at games, I usually stew about it all night, then in the morning I'm fine. Whatever.

Except this time. I am still pissed at both Sid and Geno for their absolutely pedestrian attempts on the shootout. We are not in a position to give away points like that. So f***ing pissed. It's fine if you don't like the shootout guys...give your shot to Letang or Guentzel or anything who might actually give a f*** and want to help get the extra point for the team.

Reactions: ncm7772

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
They're all set in their ways just as much as the coach is. Nobody's gonna come in behind the bench and suddenly shift the paradigm of how Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin approach the game of hockey at 35+. It's just not gonna happen. For as much as people venerate a guy like Scotty Bowman, that dude's best attributes as a coach were his ability to navigate colossal egos of superstar players and how to coddle said egos to keep guys comfortable and happy.

I know McLellan was on some radio show with Seravalli yesterday talking about how he views player development. He said pretty much that he doesn't think a player is ever done developing because of how much hockey is constantly shifting and evolving, and specifically noted how he and his staff are working with and teaching shit to a grizzled vet like Kopitar. Kopitar's one thing, but I highly doubt a creature of psychotic habit like Sid or a stubborn donkey like Geno are gonna be open to completely changing things at this stage of their careers. Particularly with how f***ing far off this team is anymore.
Geno would be an easy fix. just bring in a young Russian for him to take under his wing and bingo he'll start playing better to teach the kid.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
and it's blatantly obvious that the bottom six needs changes and I expect Hextall to try and address that at least in the off season if not sooner.
No rush at cleaning up your own mistakes. Take your time, sleepy. The man that created the mess of a bottom six (with the exception of Blue) should not be criticized.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
No rush at cleaning up your own mistakes. Take your time, sleepy. The man that created the mess of a bottom six (with the exception of Blue) should not be criticized.
I think you and I agree on that. I've been pretty clear that Hextall deserves criticism for the bottom six he's put together.

Now let's see if he does anything about it by the TDL or...ever.

Reactions: Pens x

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Why waste assets on this team this year tbh?
I wouldn't trade the first unless we can get someone nuts like Timo Meier but I think it's worth making a lesser bottom six move and hoping it sparks something. Something like the Carter move that Hextall did a few years ago. I could see like Henrique or someone like that being a good value add.

And then of course hopefully Hextall doesn't fall in love with said player and sign them for too long after

Reactions: Pens x

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wouldn't trade the first unless we can get someone nuts like Timo Meier but I think it's worth making a lesser bottom six move and hoping it sparks something. Something like the Carter move that Hextall did a few years ago. I could see like Henrique or someone like that being a good value add.

And then of course hopefully Hextall doesn't fall in love with said player and sign them for too long after

We were 1st in the division when made a move for Carter and we were solidified it in a playoff spot last year.

Honestly, if we are where we are now at the deadline I hope we sell off Dumo and Blueger.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
It's one thing to sabotage the roster and usage... If you do it right and get a real draft pick

This just wallowing around with a technically winning record is... Just odd

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This was taken from Kan Dingerski’s article…take it for what it’s worth…If true, it’s so nice to know our coach is clueless on how to counter this lol

“Washington had a specific strategy for dealing with the Penguins’ Evgeni Malkinline, no matter which line and defensive pair was on against Malkin. The Capitals were glued to him and Jason Zucker, stride-for-stride, from the red line to the goal line.

Without the Malkin line generating chances or points, the Penguins’ offensive attack seemed to be mired in the quicksand of the perimeter.”

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
This was taken from Kan Dingerski’s article…take it for what it’s worth…If true, it’s so nice to know our coach is clueless on how to counter this lol

“Washington had a specific strategy for dealing with the Penguins’ Evgeni Malkinline, no matter which line and defensive pair was on against Malkin. The Capitals were glued to him and Jason Zucker, stride-for-stride, from the red line to the goal line.

Without the Malkin line generating chances or points, the Penguins’ offensive attack seemed to be mired in the quicksand of the perimeter.”

Wtf is this shit

Pre-scouting and developing a specific gameplan for your upcoming opponent? Then executing it?

This is impossible. I know because I've seen a "Jack Adams level" coach not sink to this debauchery.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Woah, what a gameplan that is... "Hey guys, make sure you're shadowing the other team's hottest hand. Alright, go get 'em."

Okay, I'll take my NHL coaching gig, please.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm talking the scope of the last handful of games not just tonight.

He has been much better lately
i agree with you if that means much...he still makes bad plays (so does makar or Karlson) but he has been active, he is pushing the play, anyways he is now one of our best 6 dman for what its worth, there are guys in there that play worse...

I mean, he’s still playing like a third pairing D at best. I’m going to be wearing my Dumo jersey to the Ducks game, but man.
good third pairing Dman last few games...the bar is low but he is actually making plays, a lot of them

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

I mentioned Henrique a few weeks ago but was told he isn't good defensively, but I am sure he can create more offense than Blueger.

"He doesn't fit cause he doesn't play Sally hockey" :laugh:

But ever notice Sally hockey sucks defensively?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Well considering our coach doesn’t understand the term “matchup,” it must be a genius game plan…
To be completely fair, it'd be cool for this team to have a line to match against the opposition's best. Who is gonna play shutdown? Carter's line? Pfffft. Sid's? Jake and Rust are abysmal defensively. Geno's? Gonna run that trio ragged since they're the only line worth a damn offensively. Blueger? Again, pffffft.

• Haha
Reactions: BusinessGoose

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Crosby blamed the refs for this loss. He was very salty. Maybe he should start blaming himself, his coach, and his linemates a bit more.

Reactions: ncm7772

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Crosby blamed the refs for this loss. He was very salty. Maybe he should start blaming himself, his coach, and his linemates a bit more.

Maybe he shouldn't have as much influence on his line mates and his production would be better?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Kris looks grossed out.

Ovechkin can eat a Cleveland Steamer.

To be completely fair, it'd be cool for this team to have a line to match against the opposition's best. Who is gonna play shutdown? Carter's line? Pfffft. Sid's? Jake and Rust are abysmal defensively. Geno's? Gonna run that trio ragged since they're the only line worth a damn offensively. Blueger? Again, pffffft.
It's totally awesome that our franchise LW 30-40G scorer has been putrid at 5v5 for a while and there's no solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad