Rumor: Pens Trying to Trade Ian Cole

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It’s hard to complain coming off back to back Cups, but this is a bad decision (pending the return). I’d rather have Cole over Hunwick and Dumoulin.

Judging by the Pens latest acquisitions, I’m mentally preparing for BenLovejoy3.0

I mean, if you don't want Dumoulin anymore, he'd get you Strome... :P

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think Buffalo makes sense because I'm not sure what they would trade for Cole. They obviously wouldn't trade Kane for him, but beyond Kane, I'm really not sure what they'd offer. Girgensons or Larsson wouldn't get it done.

Seems unlikely that they would offer Kane for just Cole.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seems unlikely that they would offer Kane for just Cole.

I know, I'm just not sure what else would make that reasonable. I feel like Kane is worth a lot right now, the add that would have to be on top of Cole would be more valuable than Cole. I wouldn't want to do Maatta, Sprong and a draft pick, for example.

But then again, Mackey is saying that Cole is going to double his salary in free agency and multiple teams are interested in him, so maybe teams are dumb enough to think he's a legit top-4 D. In that case, he might have a lot more value than I expect.

I'd love Kane here, but I just don't see it as possible unless Hagelin turns it around really soon. Hagelin, Cole and a draft pick/good prospect for Kane may make some sense if Hagelin is playing well, but he's not playing well right now.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Can Ian Cole play RD?

Yes. Not quite as well as LD, but he's still solid on the right side, as long as he still has someone who has strong puck skills on his pairing - but that would still be an issue regardless of where he plays.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I mean, if you don't want Dumoulin anymore, he'd get you Strome... :P

Never said I didn’t want Dumoulin, but given their trade values and playing styles, I would look to trade Dumoulin and re-sign Cole. Obviously not the popular opinion with the Pens fan base, but I have a feeling Cole will be missed more than most realize.

Now if JR goes and pulls some of his magic and brings in a huge return, then it will make sense, but I have a feeling it will be more of a “we missed out on Duchene so we have to do something” move.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Said every Pens fan. Cole has been a good soldier since joining the Pens, especially over the past couple seasons,. But unfortunately, this is part of remaining a competitive team.

Said Ken Holland never.

Reactions: BHD

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Cole for Bozak has some merit, though if Hunwick is the one that has made him expendable, I'm a bit skeptical. I don't think a third is quite enough of a plus, I would want at least a second.

It would be a combination of many things: Hunwick's play (which has been good) and Ruhwedel's - who's continued his very good play from last year (and as an added bonus he's a right handed PMD, which this team can always use more of). Then add that in with the fact that the team has some needs up front, and that Cole is a pending FA who will be getting a contract that we cannot afford to match.

And thus you end up with a scenario where PIT can probably move him to fill another hole, and then if the blueline needs depth come spring, go find another 3rd pairing D then. There will be more 3rd pairing D options available then, then there will be quality depth centers available now.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Do you think Strome can develop into a solid winger? Weird question I know, but to the eye test he's looked better at center. If he's the long term option at #3, perhaps I'd finally be on board with moving RNH in the off season.

That's always been my opinion of him as well.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If we were going to get a dman, we would have. It would make no sense to wait until Sekera is close to coming back, and then start looking for a dman.

Unless PC didn't like the options that were available to him. You can only make moves when other GMs are willing to deal players (unless you want to really overpay).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It’s hard to complain coming off back to back Cups, but this is a bad decision (pending the return). I’d rather have Cole over Hunwick and Dumoulin.

Judging by the Pens latest acquisitions, I’m mentally preparing for BenLovejoy3.0

I can see wanting him over Hunwick, however that only makes sense if you're ignoring contracts. But wanting him over Dumoulin is just mind boggling.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
uuBG6NY.png

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Cole for Bozak has some merit, though if Hunwick is the one that has made him expendable, I'm a bit skeptical. I don't think a third is quite enough of a plus, I would want at least a second.
Marleau playing C because Babs isn't happy with Bozak has me skeptical. I'll give a 5th with Cole for a 3mil Bozak.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This just in: One doesn't have to be a fan of any one team to recognize a crappy trade offer.

Speaking of being bad at something.....

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Some quotes from the article. Sounds like teams may view him as a top-4 caliber D. The fact that Mackey is saying Cole is expected to more than double his salary gives me that thought. He might actually bring back a really good return here, it sounds like the perfect scenario for a dumb team to overpay for a "cup winner".

Damn, I wonder if Cole for Bozak is actually going to happen. It makes a lot of sense if teams view him as a top-4 D.

Bozak has been pretty bad this season and no way he is back in Toronto next season. His biggest plus was his faceoff ability and with the new rules that's gone downhill.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
New offer for Bozak: Cole and a 3rd for Bozak and Pickard. Murray's knee probably just got blown out, so the Penguins really need goaltending help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad