Confirmed with Link: Pens Sign Finnish Defenseman Juuso Riikola

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Nice

Hope they continue to look for more signings like this. Need to restock the D cupboard somehow. I just realized they actually still have 6 draft picks this year. More than I expected. I know they will probably go BPA, but it would be nice to add at least 2-3 C and D.

Reactions: BHD

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Born in Joensuu and has spent the past 9 seasons in KalPa's system, so I'm instantly a fan.

I've seen him play a couple times in person, but he was 19 at the time so I'm not even going to bother with a scouting report aside from saying he didn't look out of place as a teenager in Liiga.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Leaf fan coming in peace. I've watched Juuso for a good bunch of years now and I'm jealous of you :)

Juuso is good mobile defensemen and while not big, he uses his body really efficiently. Good vision & IQ and above average shot. Only downside is that board play needs a little work especially when coming to a NA rink. I'd say you gotta a hidden gem who is a decent 3rd pairing D with a potential to be even on your top 4.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Not much not to like from what i've read here. Even if he doesn't make it on the second pair, a strong 3rd pair guy is very much welcome anyway!

I guess if he's sound 2 way he could at least temporarily patch upwards if needed, occasionnaly playing with an offensive *cough* dumbass Tanger *cough* for exemple.

...or we could just trade Letang, opens up many possibilities.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
FWIW, I thought I had read somewhere on these boards yesterday that Riikola could play both LD and RD, but of course I can't find it now.
ha yeah Jac asked what side but sides would rock, i mean, if the guy can patch up (supposing he can play both sides) and play a strong 3rd pair that could cover for let's say, a not so adequate 4th line for example...

This guy sounds like Tetris to our structure. :nod:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
:sarcasm:
Not much not to like from what i've read here. Even if he doesn't make it on the second pair, a strong 3rd pair guy is very much welcome anyway!

I guess if he's sound 2 way he could at least temporarily patch upwards if needed, occasionnaly playing with an offensive *cough* dumbass Tanger *cough* for exemple.

...or we could just trade Letang, opens up many possibilities.
.... Riikola won't fix Letang but he may help soothe that nasty cough

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Riikola - Oleksiak with Ruhwedel as the #7 would be real nice.

Well, he certainly passes Hunwick on the depth chart just by existing and has zero other competition, so he's 7th at worst right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad