Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Flames: Classic Sully Pens

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No they don’t. The Pirates only exist to make Nutting money and develop a couple of players here and there for legitimate clubs. The Penguins legitimately want to win they just aged out and are too stubborn to accept it. It’s not even a comparison.

The Pirates will win nothing with these guys, trade the few that they don’t ruin their development for more magic beans, and dummies will keep giving them money and attention.

Like I said, you're not wrong yet they give more reasons for optimism than the Penguins

metalan2

May 30, 2008
No they don’t. The Pirates only exist to make Nutting money and develop a couple of players here and there for legitimate clubs. The Penguins legitimately want to win they just aged out and are too stubborn to accept it. It’s not even a comparison.

The Pirates will win nothing with these guys, trade the few that they don’t ruin their development for more magic beans, and dummies will keep giving them money and attention.
I believe there is a better chance of the Penguins winning a cup this season than the Pirates winning a championship in the next 20.

Reactions: SomeDude

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
The penguins should of fired Sullivan after losing to Montreal in the Covid playoffs of 2020.
Absolutely. And when the hammer didnt come down then, it should’ve the following spring. But I guess the second embarrassing loss to the Isles could’ve been couched in the “Jarry shat the bed” narrative.

I’ve never seen a coach live on past glories as effectively as this one. He must run this org behind the scenes. And it’s like we’re taking crazy pills bc whenever his name is spoken by other team fans or commentators it’s all “OHHH SUCH GREAT COACH, PENS R SOOOO LUCKY TO HAVE HIM”. Well, take him motherf***ers, if you love him so much. And FSG and seemingly Dubas have guzzled down that same koolaid from the first day they arrived.

Whatever glories we still had left in the mature years of 87 and 71 were just torched at the altar of mike’s precious reputation. Makes me sick. The culprit wasn’t the trading of draft picks for futures or the “oh they’re just old” bullshit narrative we’re given. No, sorry, the core trio were still productive. Even bad GMs still managed to make decent moves with Zuck, Rakell and (until lately) EK. The common denominator is one guy, who ownership is apparrently too afraid to Contemplate life without.

I’ve been drinking so excuse my heavy handedness

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Can we ban anyone talking about the pirates in this thread lol. Steelers too.

I will be shocked if they let Sullivan go, but maybe this is just some weird way of not getting too giddy about it finally happening..
The only coaching change this team might (and I stress "might") make is firing Reirden and blaming him entirely for the PP woes. Sullivan ain't going nowhere ever.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The only coaching change this team might (and I stress "might") make is firing Reirden and blaming him entirely for the PP woes. Sullivan ain't going nowhere ever.

Yeah, it seems like the media is now convinced that Sullivan will be fired at the end of the year somewhat and I'm like.. why would they not fire him all season and then pull the trigger in the offseason?

This team has been dead in the water since November despite the actual math saying otherwise and they just sat around and did nothing. We are at the point where we are going to trade the best winger Crosby ever had (outside of Hossa) before we fire a coach who hasn't won anything in 6 seasons...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Absolutely. And when the hammer didnt come down then, it should’ve the following spring. But I guess the second embarrassing loss to the Isles could’ve been couched in the “Jarry shat the bed” narrative.

I’ve never seen a coach live on past glories as effectively as this one. He must run this org behind the scenes. And it’s like we’re taking crazy pills bc whenever his name is spoken by other team fans or commentators it’s all “OHHH SUCH GREAT COACH, PENS R SOOOO LUCKY TO HAVE HIM”. Well, take him motherf***ers, if you love him so much. And FSG and seemingly Dubas have guzzled down that same koolaid from the first day they arrived.

Whatever glories we still had left in the mature years of 87 and 71 were just torched at the altar of mike’s precious reputation. Makes me sick. The culprit wasn’t the trading of draft picks for futures or the “oh they’re just old” bullshit narrative we’re given. No, sorry, the core trio were still productive. Even bad GMs still managed to make decent moves with Zuck, Rakell and (until lately) EK. The common denominator is one guy, who ownership is apparrently too afraid to Contemplate life without.

I’ve been drinking so excuse my heavy handedness

I think everyone outside of this board loved Mike Sullivan.

The core.
Our media.
Our management and ownership.
Other teams media, management and ownership.

Only recently has that begun to change, but our best shots were 2020-2022. We have also aged out as we sit here now. Firing Sullivan, though warranted, does not allow us a re-do on 2020-2022.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, it seems like the media is now convinced that Sullivan will be fired at the end of the year somewhat and I'm like.. why would they not fire him all season and then pull the trigger in the offseason?

This team has been dead in the water since November despite the actual math saying otherwise and they just sat around and did nothing. We are at the point where we are going to trade the best winger Crosby ever had (outside of Hossa) before we fire a coach who hasn't won anything in 6 seasons...
If the Penguins were car mechanics, they'd keep changing the oil and rotating the tires before ever checking to see whether the engine's the reason the car isn't running.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
we did all this back with bylsma btw
That’s what is hard to take about this. In 2014 there was all kinds of talk about how we needed to trade core pieces because “it just wasn’t happening for this team.” As if the players were the problem, and the coach was sacrosanct.

Well, on a similar timeline with Sullivan, we passed the same point, the point of “we need to make major changes because the players are failing”, like 3 years ago. But instead of changes on the roster, or to coaching, it’s just met by a “Welp, what can you do? I mean the team produces a lot of offense, and the players are still bought in”. Of course both of those narratives unraveled over the last couple of years.

Imagine if, for comparisons sake, DB was still in charge of the team circa 2017, living off the 2009 cup. I just wish when FSG, Dubas, Burke, Rutherford, Burkle, whoever had stepped to the microphone, they had spoken the truth; “the reality is that we’re satisfied with three cups, and making our players comfortable and giving them familiarity is more important to us than winning anything”

Last edited:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
My predictions...

Guentzel to Vegas
Ruhwedel to Vancouver
Smith to Nashville
Ned to LA
619am0.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Rudy Russo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If the Penguins were car mechanics, they'd keep changing the oil and rotating the tires before ever checking to see whether the engine's the reason the car isn't running.

Whatever. At least I can stop pretending they were going to win three straight and someone make their way back into the playoffs this year.

Sucks that Dubas has never won a trade. Kinda scared what he's going to do the next few days..

Like if Dubas had the Rakell trade on his resume it'd probably be his best trade.

Reactions: Pens x

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think everyone outside of this board loved Mike Sullivan.

The core.
Our media.
Our management and ownership.
Other teams media, management and ownership.

Only recently has that begun to change, but our best shots were 2020-2022. We have also aged out as we sit here now. Firing Sullivan, though warranted, does not allow us a re-do on 2020-2022.
Under his leadership they lost to Montreal, they lost to Ranger s after 3:1 they lost to CBJ and hawks two worst teams …how he is still the coach

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Whatever. At least I can stop pretending they were going to win three straight and someone make their way back into the playoffs this year.

Sucks that Dubas has never won a trade. Kinda scared what he's going to do the next few days..

Like if Dubas had the Rakell trade on his resume it'd probably be his best trade.
My concern is they'll make a trade as a last ditch effort to make the playoffs even though it's clear as day this team is going nowhere with the dumb dumb behind the bench.

I'd actually be shocked if they were sellers. At best, they'll stand pat and think they just need to get to their game more consistently to start winning.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Under his leadership they lost to Montreal, they lost to Ranger s after 3:1 they lost to CBJ and hawks two worst teams …how he is still the coach

All the reasons spelled out earlier.

I hate it too and don't understand why FSG felt the need to give him that extension even if they loved him as a fellow Bahston POS.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad