Proposal: Pens/Flames Blockbuster

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Don't believe that the Flames would give Johnny up for that let alone add Bennett.This is a bad deal for the Flames. Johnny is the best player in the deal and is 6 yrs younger than Kessels.

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
No thanks to the OP, Phil would fail on Flames without the Star studded center depth. How about Murray for Bennett, a defensive prospect, not named Valimaki + one of the goalie prospects?

phil would fail without the star studded center depth. you could not be more wrong phil thrives with mid level centers such as bozak bonino and now brassard.
as for the murray trade bennet is a borderline bust and bunch of defensive prospects that are not anything special and a goalie prospect that would be third on the pens depth chart.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Goaltending hasn't even been our issue so we're not paying a huge price for a goalie.

Gaudreau is also going nowhere. He's better and younger than Kessel and has a slightly lower cap hit. This doesn't make the Flames better.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Pitt has great RW depth, Flames have great LW depth. Let’s make a deal.

Phil Kessel
Jake Guentzel

For

Johnny Gaudreau
Sam Bennett

Johnny-Sid-Sprong
Hags-Malkin-Hornqvist
Bennett-Brass-Rust

Tkachuck-Monahan-Kessel
Guentzel-Backlund-Frolik

The reality of a trade this big happening is low but just for fun, who says no?

I think Calgary can do a lot better

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thanks for the offer, but I’ll politely decline. Jake is great and Phil is elite, but Calgary won’t give up Johnny for a player that much older and I think management still has really high hopes for Sam.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Hornqvist+Sprong

For Tkachuck, I love this player. Does all the things Hornqvist does but at LW. Hornqvist and Sprong most likely ain't enough, but don't know what else to add.

Tkachuk isn't going anywhere. Honestly, I can't see any realistic offer the Penguins could make to acquire him.

I'd have interest in Sheary or Hagelin in the offseason. Could you see either being dealt?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Really that is unfair to Calgary. Two time cup winners and scoring goals in big moments vs two guys who have not done jack sh** and it is unfair.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd have interest in Sheary or Hagelin in the offseason. Could you see either being dealt?

Depends on whether we need to move any salary but its a possibility. Sheary's more likely to go if we do as things stand.

If we were moving a wing without salary being a big factor though I'd rather do the Sprong for D prospect that Empoleon suggested on the front page.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
No thanks to the OP, and no thanks to the Chucky offer, our top two LW's are off the table, our top 4 forwards are really off the table (Monahan and Backlund are the other two) you need multiple top 6 players to win a championship, just because your core is getting older and will be declining doesn't mean other teams will be lining up to give you younger and better players (Johnny and Chucky for Kessel and Horny) you guys can keep your core away from Calgary, we're trying to build a championship team like you guys with young and veteran players (Backlund, Frolik, Gio) we need to add younger talents more than older veterans :)

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Tkachuk isn't going anywhere. Honestly, I can't see any realistic offer the Penguins could make to acquire him.

Sheary for sure. I'd keep Hags over Sheary. Sheary has not been good this year. Pens Should've sold high on him in the offseason.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Depends on whether we need to move any salary but its a possibility. Sheary's more likely to go if we do as things stand.

If we were moving a wing without salary being a big factor though I'd rather do the Sprong for D prospect that Empoleon suggested on the front page.

I'd be fine with Sprong for a d prospect. I just think Hagelin or Sheary would fit really well with Backlund and Frolik, which would allow Tkachuk to move to the top line and bump Ferland to the 3rd line.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd be fine with Sprong for a d prospect. I just think Hagelin or Sheary would fit really well with Backlund and Frolik, which would allow Tkachuk to move to the top line and bump Ferland to the 3rd line.

Out of curiousity, what would you see as a fair price for Sheary or Hagelin?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
It'd be a fair value swap IF Gaudreau and Kessel were the same age. Since Gaudreau is much younger, Calgary would obviously decline.

While JG is younger, Guentzel >> Bennett so theoretically that covers the gap

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
phil would fail without the star studded center depth. you could not be more wrong phil thrives with mid level centers such as bozak bonino and now brassard.
as for the murray trade bennet is a borderline bust and bunch of defensive prospects that are not anything special and a goalie prospect that would be third on the pens depth chart.
Nobody in their right mind trades Gaudreau for a 30/31 year old Kessel, even if you add Guentzel(Nyquist), let alone adding Sam Bennett. Considering Guentzel wasn’t even playing in the NHL when he was Bennett’s age, I’d say the verdict is very much still out.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Nobody in their right mind trades Gaudreau for a 30/31 year old Kessel, even if you add Guentzel(Nyquist), let alone adding Sam Bennett. Considering Guentzel wasn’t even playing in the NHL when he was Bennett’s age, I’d say the verdict is very much still out.

True, but that's only if you ignore the fact that Guentzel has almost as many points in his 112 games and Bennett has in his 231.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
True, but that's only if you ignore the fact that Guentzel has almost as many points in his 112 games and Bennett has in his 231.

You don't trade a 23 year old star for a 31 star because you get a better 3rd liner.

If Gaudreau gets moved it's because it's an overpay for him not an improvement on Bennett.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Might as well ignore that Bennett has played with such offensive stalwarts as Lance Bouma, Michael Frolik, Alex Chiasson, Troy Brouwer, and Garnet Hathaway his whole career. while Guentzal has had the cushy job of Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel tap-ins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad